• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Dream (FEB 2007) scans

Alex

The screens for RW look great, the promo art looks horrible. That's not Yoshida's work, is it? If it is, it's the worst thing I've ever seen him do.

terrene

Banned
Verano said:
Haven't you seen the videos, dumbass??
:rollseyes:
Yeah, I *am* a dumbass - I don't know how I can possibly think that the image quality looks bad, it must be because I am stupid. Let me take a better look at this in smart-o-vision:

01.bmp

Wow, look at all the detail in those hills... Piles of grain? ... Um, tan, things. ...Oh, Roofs. And that castle on the left. Or dam? ...Or maybe that's a house that's kind of nearby. And that red person/thing looks like he just had a nice nap on that quilted matress behind him. But that's just the background, look at that fence! Shimmering and aliasing beautifully, as it skews out of field. I can't wait to jump into that world!

terrene said:
Yeah, I *am* a dumbass - I don't know how I can possibly think that the image quality looks bad, it must be because I am stupid. Let me take a better look at this in smart-o-vision:

01.bmp

Wow, look at all the detail in those hills... Piles of grain? ... Um, tan, things. ...Oh, Roofs. And that castle on the left. Or dam? ...Or maybe that's a house that's kind of nearby. And that red person/thing looks like he just had a nice nap on that quilted matress behind him. But that's just the background, look at that fence! Shimmering and aliasing beautifully, as it skews out of field. I can't wait to jump into that world!

so I take it you haven't seen the videos.

Amir0x

Banned
terrene said:
I have. Stop mentioning the videos, they don't magically make DS graphics look good.

Look, everyone knows DQIX looks like shit. DS 3D in general does, there's no changing it. So, hey, that's what the platform can do. If those people want to lower their standards and pretend it looks good, let them. It's not hurting you. But that's enough derailing the thread because it's gonna be five pages of crying in a minute.

Amir0x said:
Look, everyone knows DQIX looks like shit. DS 3D in general does, there's no changing it. So, hey, that's what the platform can do. If those people want to lower their standards and pretend it looks good, let them. It's not hurting you. But that's enough derailing the thread because it's gonna be five pages of crying in a minute.

But it does look good..... for DS.

:p

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
But it does look good..... for DS.

:p

Yeah yeah. Anyway, It's a Wonderful World looks hot. How does it play, again? I know it's Nomura and the Kingdom Hearts team, but it seems like a novel concept...

Amir0x said:
Yeah yeah. Anyway, It's a Wonderful World looks hot. How does it play, again? I know it's Nomura and the Kingdom Hearts team, but it seems like a novel concept...

Beware, all that glitters is not gold.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Amir0x said:
You play on both screens at once and what you do on one will effect the other I think. It's a bit confusing to me and I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, I don't know if they can make such a thing work...

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona said:
Beware, all that glitters is not gold.

I know but come on, how many RPGs (this is an RPG, right) take place in this sort of setting as well. It just seems different and it also looks good :p

jj984jj said:
You play on both screens at once and what you do on one will effect the other I think. It's a bit confusing to me and I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, I don't know if they can make such a thing work...

Wait, like, Mario and Luigi 2 DS? Something similar? Not sure I get it..

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Amir0x said:

:lol

Nicely done.

Amir0x said:
I know but come on, how many RPGs (this is an RPG, right) take place in this sort of setting as well. It just seems different and it also looks good :p

The music shown thus far is pretty rockin. Nomura still sucks donkey dong through a straw, however.

Llyranor

You can see gameplay footage for IAWW here http://youtube.com/watch?v=lEzB-EAky7k
Quality isn't great, but I forgot where the original one was.

That trailer piqued my interest for the game. The combat system looks to have good potential. Top screen is inputting dpad controls. Touch screen is stylus controls. Slice around to attack, click on enemies to fire lightning bolts, drag fire around. And apparently you can use telekinesis on items, such as cars, to get them out of the way or block it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Amir0x said:

Wait, like, Mario and Luigi 2 DS? Something similar? Not sure I get it..
No, the action is happening on both screens at the same time, you play two characters, a girl on the top screen and a guy on the bottom. You can control the girls movements with the d-pad and the guys movements with the touch-screen.

Amir0x

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
The music shown thus far is pretty rockin. Nomura still sucks donkey dong through a straw, however.

oh yeah i think i heard the music on the website or some place linked on GAF and it did sound rad.

I agree 100% about Nomura, but even the designs don't seem totally Nomura-esque. I'm hoping it's the same for the gameplay :p

jj984jj said:
No, the action is happening on both screens at the same time, you play two characters, a girl on the top screen and a guy on the bottom. You can control the girls movements with the d-pad and the guys movements with the touch-screen.

Hm, that does sound bizarre and wonky. Probably works in practice, though.

Amir0x said:
oh yeah i think i heard the music on the website or some place linked on GAF and it did sound rad.

I agree 100% about Nomura, but even the designs don't seem totally Nomura-esque. I'm hoping it's the same for the gameplay :p

He poisons everything he touches! Everything!!!!111oneoneone

Amir0x

Banned
Llyranor said:
You can see gameplay footage for IAWW here http://youtube.com/watch?v=lEzB-EAky7k
Quality isn't great, but I forgot where the original one was.

That trailer piqued my interest for the game. The combat system looks to have good potential. Top screen is inputting dpad controls. Touch screen is stylus controls. Slice around to attack, click on enemies to fire lightning bolts, drag fire around. And apparently you can use telekinesis on items, such as cars, to get them out of the way or block it.

oh my god that was sick. This has to be good, begone Nomura curse! :lol

Cant wait for DQ :)
Ugh the Nomura hate is getting rediculous.
At least Nomura's stuff doesnt look as ugly as Yoshitaka Amano's drag queen art. What exactly is wrong with zippers? Zippers >>> white make up and lipstick. You guys are bitching way too much.

cloud%20and%20red%20xiii.jpg

ff7-2.jpg

relm1.jpg

gogo.jpg

locke.jpg

amano23.jpg

Wtf is this crap?

Amir0x

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
At least Nomura's stuff doesnt look as ugly as Yoshitaka Amano's drag queen art. What exactly is wrong with zippers? You guys are bitching way too much.

*images*

Wtf is this crap?

no i'm pretty sure Amano's work destroys Nomura's work. And those posted images demonstrate that very well! but hey, it's all taste and all that.

Zeed

Banned
Alex said:
A Wonderful World looks like absolute puke
THE **** DID YOU JUST SAY?

Alright since people are confused about how IAWW plays, let me go dig up an explaination I posted before...

Amir0x said:
no i'm pretty sure Amano's work destroys Nomura's work. And those posted images demonstrate that very well! but hey, it's all taste and all that.

Your hatred for Nomura has blinded you. Can't believe anyone can like these designs and interpretations....
They all look more Feminine than Nomura's Tidus, Squal, Cloud and kingdom hearts characters.
The guys in Nomura's are look like jokes but at least you can tell they're male. Nomura also designs better looking females.

jj984jj said:
It's called bad art.

fixed

Shinkawa >>> Kojima >Nomura >>>> Yoshitaka

Zeed

Banned
Found it:

You never have to control both screens at once. What's going on here is really several battle systems (two at a time) that work together as one. The boy fights on the bottom screen with his telekentic powers. You actually slash the touchscreen to attack enemies, direct lightning bolts, even draw fire onto the screen wherever you want. On the upper screen, the girl fights using the D-Pad to enter commands along with the rythm. Following different "paths" of button inputs, you perform different moves. She appears to fight by telepathically controlling her stuffed animal cat to attack.

Now, addressing your concern, normally the top screen is automatically controlled by the computer, but you can take charge and enter the commands manually whenever you want for added speed and different attacks. There appear to be "super" moves where the characters briefly switch screens and kick the crap out of everything (this is shown in the trailer). Obviously these are very different battle systems going on here, and if I recall correctly it was mentioned that EVERY playable character would have their own unique system as well. Don't quote me on that last bit though.

GeneralIroh said:
Actually I really like Kojima's work.

Kojima's characters look just as feminine, if not moreso, than Amano's art. Your criticism seems to be that his characters look feminine, after all.

Meier

Wow, Revenant Wings looks incredible. All the class of an isometric 2D RPG but with ultra-detailed looking backgrounds. I'm ****ing STOKED since I've almost beat FFXII proper now.

Zeed

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Kojima's characters look just as feminine, if not moreso, than Amano's art. Your criticism seems to be that his characters look feminine, after all.
I think he was complaining about how all the characters are white and wear makeup. My criticism however is that Amano's art looks like grade school scribble. It's trash. Kojima's art is nearly renaissance-quality in my view and should never be compared to this crap.

Alex

Zyid said:
THE **** DID YOU JUST SAY?

Alright since people are confused about how IAWW plays, let me go dig up an explaination I posted before...

I just said that a shitty Nomura directed game splattered with shitty Nomura art looks like shit

Zeed

Banned
Alex said:
I just said that a shitty Nomura directed game splattered with shitty Nomura art looks like shit
If that had been drawn by anyone else, you'd probably be drooling all over it. It doesn't even look like typical Nomura. And even if it did, it'd look a hell of a lot better than Amanoscribble.

Alex

Whatever you say bud, I'm not interested in his Kingdom Hearts/FFvXIII/Advent Children abortions, in fact, the Kitase nightmare duo being back pretty much kills my excitement for XIII altogether

I'll GLADLY take over-stylized femboys over visual kei/teen disney inspired horseshit. Nomura USED to be tolorable when he first took over; those days are gone.

I have no problem sticking to the other mountain of SE DS release, so whatever.

But yeah, if it was drawn by someone else and directed by someone who knows how to pace a story or make a game fun, I might be interested! Instead, all I have to do is point to his other mountains of pure tedium

GeneralIroh said:
At least Nomura's stuff doesnt look as ugly as Yoshitaka Amano's drag queen art. What exactly is wrong with zippers? Zippers >>> white make up and lipstick. You guys are bitching way too much.

Wtf is this crap?

FAIL

Meier said:
Wow, Revenant Wings looks incredible. All the class of an isometric 2D RPG but with ultra-detailed looking backgrounds. I'm ****ing STOKED since I've almost beat FFXII proper now.

Seriously. The background art in those scans looks ****ing great. Though, I could do without some of the character art (the portraits are a little meh). As I understand, this game even has gambits? I'm psyched for this.

As for Nomura and IAWW, I'm not a big fan of his FF work, but I really like what he's got going with this game. I'll give it a chance. Plus the gameplay looks totally bonkers, based on the trailer.

ethelred

Oh, sweet god, Square Enix is just completely ruling the DS. I'm so hyped over so many of their games here, it's crazy -- Dragon Quest IX, FFXII: Revenant Wings, It's a Wonderful World, Heroes of Mana, Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, Chocobo, DQM: Joker... all of them look awesome.

Love the DQIX/RW/IAWW/CC scans.

Meier said:

So very, very well said. Fantastic sprites, which I love, but damn, the backgrounds here are just stunning.

Zyid said:
I think he was complaining about how all the characters are white and wear makeup. My criticism however is that Amano's art looks like grade school scribble. It's trash. Kojima's art is nearly renaissance-quality in my view and should never be compared to this crap.

Actually thats another reason why I hate Amano's art. If you're going to draw girly men then draw them with correct proportions. It doesnt even look like Amano puts any care into his work. Kojima's characters are pale but at least they don't wear black lipstick....

ethelred

Oh, and in case some people want some more detail on IAWW (which isn't being made by Nomura, btw, he's only producing and doing main character designs)...

"It's a Wonderful World" (AKA, "Subarashiki Kono Sekai") tells of 15 year old Neku Sakuraba who notices something odd about himself one day during his everyday life in Shibuya. He comes into contact with an organisation known as "The Shinigami (God of Death)" who threatens to kill him if he fails to carry out what he is told. In this demonic game, Neku is not alone for Shiki Misaki and a few other kids in Shibuya are also in the same situation and they only have 7 days to fulfil their mission…

Instead of speaking to NPCs the normal way, you'll find yourself using Neku's psychic powers to read other people's minds to gather information and learn what your next goal is. Using the touch screen you can tap on the minds of people to learn new info.

Battles take place on two screens but whether or not you want to fight on both screens simultaneously is up to you. Playing as two characters, they share one HP bar. On the top screen you control Shiki and as arrows appear, you'll have to hit the D-pad accordingly to reach a certain card symbol. There are basically various paths you can take midway through the arrow sequences and every symbol you obtain appears on the blank cards shown along the top. By creating 3 cards with the same symbol, you can perform specials.

Finally during boss fights, you'll find that what you do on the top screen affects what happens on the lower screen. In one example, killing spiders sheds light on the bottom screen.

It looks like it'll be hard to play both screens simultaneously. Is this aimed at the hardcore gamer?

Kandou
Oh, no. We've developed it so that all players such as FF fans, junior high students and adults can enjoy playing it. We put a lot of thought into the control system so once you get used to it, it can become really easy!

Hasegawa
Nothing's forced upon the player in the system. In fact, you can battle just by playing using the bottom screen. The top screen can be switched to auto-battle mode. You should be able to try out all sorts of things once you're used to it.

Arakawa
If you play by following the balls of light coming to and fro between the top and bottom screens, you'll find that you can naturally switch between the two screens to play. You can play with both screens simultaneously if you want, choose to jump between the two too or, just play the game through one screen – it's all there so that users can judge for themselves which playing style to use.

Is there any point in the game where you have to play both screens simultaneously?

Arakawa
Ultimately, we've designed it so that players will find it more fun using both screens simultaneously. The direction we're heading is not to penalise the player if you can't manage both but, if you can then it will be a rewarding experience.

Lots more here: http://www.game brink.com/news/625-Kingdom_Hearts_Team_Its_a_Wonderful_World_DS_Developer_Interview.html

Just remove the space.

Alex said:
Whatever you say bud, I'm not interested in his Kingdom Hearts/FFvXIII/Advent Children abortions, in fact, the Kitase nightmare duo being back pretty much kills my excitement for XIII altogether

I'll GLADLY take over-stylized femboys over visual kei/teen disney inspired horseshit. Nomura USED to be tolorable when he first took over; those days are gone.

I have no problem sticking to the other mountain of SE DS release, so whatever.

But yeah, if it was drawn by someone else and directed by someone who knows how to pace a story or make a game fun, I might be interested! Instead, all I have to do is point to his other mountains of pure tedium

141.jpg

This looks a lot more like Amano than Nomura.

Ravidrath

Unrelated, but every time I see the name "Nintendo Dream" I think of the E3 Nintendo unveiled Banjo Kazooie. The best part was some idiot missed the point of the entire press conference and asked "But what was Dream?" in the Q&A, and was laughed at by all of Nintendo's executives.

...He's probably reading this right now.

Top Bottom