• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Dream (FEB 2007) scans

AniHawk

EverSoTrendy said:
think their "Hood"

stu3.gif

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
neo2046 said:
Can anyone translate what the guy on the middle right says? Its Makoto Yoshizumi (Tales producer) so I'm interested :)

Btw, just read somewhere that Namco Tales Studio has 128 empoyees in two groups (2D and 3D tales). Not bad!

Iaww gives me a Jet Set Radio vibe...not bad. The systen sounds interesting and could sell me the title, it also has the potential to be game-breaking-let's see.
FFXII and DQIX both look promising, 2007 is going to be big. Bummer that CC is without online, I think I will pass on this one.

Lots of love from S-E. All these games look amazing (well, truth be told, I'm not still digging the style of IAWW, but the gameplay descriptions sound nice). Can't wait. :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Revenant Wings reminds me of Star Ocean 1 in some of the shots... the use of colors I guess. Yeah, that definitely looks the best of all these upcoming games as far as graphics are concerned, but the promo art is awful.

Amir0x said:
I agree 100% about Nomura, but even the designs don't seem totally Nomura-esque.

But that's what Nomura designs actually look like. :lol

This game just seems "different" for two reasons:

1) It actually features 2D art in Nomura's thick-lined, non-realistic style, which is extremely flattering to his designs;

2) They're designs for a "fun" game so they're colorful and extravagant instead of black and zippery.

It doesn't take a long look to figure out that these characters are designed by the dude who did FFX.

If you can't see Sora in Neku, then you've either never played Kingdom Hearts, or are ceritfiably blind.

I've said it before: I'm not a fan of IAWW's character designs. What I really like are the monsters.

Amir0x

Banned
charlequin said:
But that's what Nomura designs actually look like. :lol

This game just seems "different" for two reasons:

1) It actually features 2D art in Nomura's thick-lined, non-realistic style, which is extremely flattering to his designs;

2) They're designs for a "fun" game so they're colorful and extravagant instead of black and zippery.

It doesn't take a long look to figure out that these characters are designed by the dude who did FFX.

I didn't say style, I said designs. By that I mean... they even lack extraneous zippers and buckles and shit. They're vaguely ok to look at, and not killing my eyes with ugly. I guess the colorful and black thick outlines are flattering as well so it's a combination.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
What do you have against zippers, Ami?

I suppose it's because when I look at fashion, I enjoy being able to even make practical sense out of its functionality. Plus five gigantic flapping zippers not only looks lame as hell, but it sure as hell can't be good in battle. Shit might get caught in a monster's tooth or some shit.

Equally as annoying is when Nomura designs characters with, like, part armour. Like, one of the shoulders has a shield or a single leg is covered in metallic armour. What the hell good is that gonna do for the other leg and shoulder, asshole?

Amir0x said:
I suppose it's because when I look at fashion, I enjoy being able to even make practical sense out of its functionality. Plus five gigantic flapping zippers not only looks lame as hell, but it sure as hell can't be good in battle. Shit might get caught in a monster's tooth or some shit.

While I agree Nomura definitely overuses them to the point of looking utterly ridiculous, practicality was never really a major factor in jRPG character clothing design. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
There is practicality in the designs of many characters from jRPGs! Just not lame ones by Nomura and other similarly lame designers!

Amir0x said:
I didn't say style, I said designs. By that I mean... they even lack extraneous zippers and buckles and shit. They're vaguely ok to look at, and not killing my eyes with ugly. I guess the colorful and black thick outlines are flattering as well so it's a combination.

Well, the thing about the zippers specifically is that it's a really really recent development -- pretty much just in AC (and KH2, which is pretty much from the same development period.) I actually think of Nomura's trademarks as more being "spiky hair," "voluminous clothes," and "weird choices of exposed body parts," all of which are out in force here.

Did you really think all the designs in FFX were ugly? I won't even argue Tidus (it's just a subset of my usual "Tidus is supposed to be lame" argument that I never get any traction with), but Auron? Lulu?

On the more general topic, the more I see about IAWW the more pumped I get. Not only does it have a gorgeous (and completely new) style, and hot music, but the gameplay and the storyline sound great! This is exactly what we've been wanting Square to do all this time -- put some of the numerous really talented but largely unknown people over there in charge of creating a new IP. I'm really excited to see that Nomura's role here is largely to support members of his team in creating the game they wanted to make, and to put his stamp on it so gamers will give it more of a chance.

Amir0x said:
yeah actually FFXII does have pretty restrained and almost practical designs, give or take one character.

I actually think FF XII is a great example of Yoshida trying to design his own characters that riff on the Nomura trademarks. They certainly have the "odd choice of exposure" part down. It's really just Balthier and Basch who look (a) like Yoshida characters more than Final Fantasy characters, and (b) like sensibly dressed human beings instead of street fashionistas.

Amir0x said:
yeah actually FFXII does have pretty restrained and almost practical designs, give or take one character.

Vaan's and Penelo's clothing choices are retarded given the environment, Balthier's is largely practical, Fran is a Viera, so that's that, even if it looks stupid. Ashe's is just... weird, and Basch looks more like a jester than a knight.

It just looks restrained compared to the kookiness that was FFX.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Vaan's and Penelo's clothing choices are retarded given the environment, Balthier's is largely practical, Fran is a Viera, so that's that, even if it looks stupid. Ashe's is just... weird, and Basch looks more like a jester than a knight.

It just looks restrained compared to the kookiness that was FFX.

Vaan's clothing is remarkably appropriate - he lives in a ****ing desert, and he wears lightly armored pants and a vest that gives him easy airflow to keep him cool (god I can't believe I'm micro analyzing the outfits now). Penelo's outfit LOOKS silly, but it too is made for maximum movement (as it's form fitting), with the lightest touch of leather based armor for every day protection on her legs and shoulders (with both sides equally protected, shock of shocks). Balthier is awesome, except for those dumb rainbow rings.

Basch (and arguably Ashe) is the one character that doesn't seem to actually fit their respective roles (Ashe as a warrior princess, Basch as a Knight), AND has a design that looks fairly ugly to boot. That's the one I meant. Fran is a bunny 'in touch with nature' type chick, so her outfit works for what it is.

Pureauthor said:
Vaan's and Penelo's clothing choices are retarded given the environment

Vaan's seems pretty sensible to me -- just a vest is smart for a desert environment. Or do you mean the metal pants?

Fran is a Viera, so that's that, even if it looks stupid.

But as we learn in the game
she dresses in that weird sex-goth armor because of how emo she is over leaving her silk-and-satin-clad elf sisters

Ashe's is just... weird, and Basch looks more like a jester than a knight.

Ashe's is weird, though completely in keeping with the fine tradition of FF leading ladies. Basch's outfit is clownish, but it's at least clothes and it's intended to be his "knight incognito/in penance" outfit, so it kinda makes sense. I guess.

Amir0x said:
Vaan's clothing is remarkably appropriate - he lives in a ****ing desert, and he wears lightly armored pants and a vest that gives him easy airflow to keep him cool (god I can't believe I'm micro analyzing the outfits now). Penelo's outfit LOOKS silly, but it too is made for maximum movement (as it's form fitting), with the lightest touch of leather based armor for every day protection on her legs and shoulders (with both sides equally protected, shock of shocks).

Protip: In a desert, you want to cover up as much skin as is humanly possible, because there's very little atmospheric protection against the sun's rays. Dressing like Vaan or Penelo will get you an awful sunburn.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Protip: In a desert, you want to cover up as much skin as is humanly possible, because there's very little atmospheric protection against the sun's rays. Dressing like Vaan or Penelo will get you an awful sunburn.

oh come on they got flying cars i'm sure they got sunscreen

Amir0x said:
oh come on they got flying cars i'm sure they got sunscreen

They also ride Chocobos into battle, and a sword is a viable weapon of choice. Not giving the benefit of the doubt FTW.

Speaking of which, does anyone else find the blending of technological eras more than a little jarring?

Llyranor

I usually don't mind bland or even relatively ugly outfit designs, but Fran's just repels me. At worst, she'll be in sprite form in RW, so that's fine.

In any case, re: Nomura involvement in IAWW:
Nomura
I've been working with them for a long time and I think of them as the next generation of staff that will manage Square-Enix. This time round I've left most of the work in their hands so I do hope players will try experiencing the new style. Many excellent staff members from the KH team and units from other divisions have joined in. This title is being released as a result of this pioneering. We'll be continuing to try out new things this way so I hope you all look forward to it.

I like the character designs of ROF so far. Especially that sword. The snowy town is nice too. Feels a bit more rugged than most FFs have been lately.

I wish I could say the same for RW. Damn do I dislike their concept art style, especially Vaan's portrait.

ethelred

charlequin said:
On the more general topic, the more I see about IAWW the more pumped I get. Not only does it have a gorgeous (and completely new) style, and hot music, but the gameplay and the storyline sound great! This is exactly what we've been wanting Square to do all this time -- put some of the numerous really talented but largely unknown people over there in charge of creating a new IP. I'm really excited to see that Nomura's role here is largely to support members of his team in creating the game they wanted to make, and to put his stamp on it so gamers will give it more of a chance.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. :)

charlequin said:
I actually think FF XII is a great example of Yoshida trying to design his own characters that riff on the Nomura trademarks. They certainly have the "odd choice of exposure" part down. It's really just Balthier and Basch who look (a) like Yoshida characters more than Final Fantasy characters, and (b) like sensibly dressed human beings instead of street fashionistas.

I think Vaan looked and dressed like a Yoshida character. He resembled the FFT monk design a great deal. Penelo was fine, Balthier was fantastic, Fran looked fine in terms of her actual character design... what killed some of these main characters wasn't their character designs but the outfits (I'm looking specifically here at Fran, Ashe, and Basch, each of whom was wearing something downright hideous).

wsippel

Banned
Amir0x said:
Vaan's clothing is remarkably appropriate - he lives in a ****ing desert, and he wears lightly armored pants and a vest that gives him easy airflow to keep him cool (god I can't believe I'm micro analyzing the outfits now). Penelo's outfit LOOKS silly, but it too is made for maximum movement (as it's form fitting), with the lightest touch of leather based armor for every day protection on her legs and shoulders (with both sides equally protected, shock of shocks). Balthier is awesome, except for those dumb rainbow rings.

Basch (and arguably Ashe) is the one character that doesn't seem to actually fit their respective roles (Ashe as a warrior princess, Basch as a Knight), AND has a design that looks fairly ugly to boot. That's the one I meant. Fran is a bunny 'in touch with nature' type chick, so her outfit works for what it is.
Yeah, wearing high-heels (with two heels each, no less) in a desert or in the woods is definitely a "bunny in touch with nature"-design, and makes perfect sense in every aspect...

neo2046

just scan some pages :D

Please Read
you can share the scans anywhere you like
but don't just forward the link directly
please save and rehost the scans yourself
thank you very much!!

Layton Prof / Front Mission 1st DS / Harvest Moon DS / Jet Impulse

Wario the Seven / Luminous Arc / Wishroom

Atelier Lise / Harvest Moon Wii / Survival Kids 2

Alex said:
Whatever you say bud, I'm not interested in his Kingdom Hearts/FFvXIII/Advent Children abortions, in fact, the Kitase nightmare duo being back pretty much kills my excitement for XIII altogether

I'll GLADLY take over-stylized femboys over visual kei/teen disney inspired horseshit. Nomura USED to be tolorable when he first took over; those days are gone.

I have no problem sticking to the other mountain of SE DS release, so whatever.

But yeah, if it was drawn by someone else and directed by someone who knows how to pace a story or make a game fun, I might be interested! Instead, all I have to do is point to his other mountains of pure tedium
I may not agree with you about the character designs but I agree with that whole heartedly.

Cool, for Wario you have to draw little marks on the touch screen to make Wario change (into "magnificent wario" and stuff like that). There is also an example of drawing a box above one other box which creates a crate so you can jump higher.

ethelred said:
I think Vaan looked and dressed like a Yoshida character. He resembled the FFT monk design a great deal. Penelo was fine, Balthier was fantastic, Fran looked fine in terms of her actual character design... what killed some of these main characters wasn't their character designs but the outfits (I'm looking specifically here at Fran, Ashe, and Basch, each of whom was wearing something downright hideous).

I did overstate my position a little, but that's mostly to get ami's goat. :D You're right, Vaan does pretty much have the monk outfit. (Another reason to be sad that I can't play XII + job system, le sigh...)

You don't think Penelo's outfit is ridiculous? To my mind she has the Selphie problem of wearing an outfit that's so brain-breakingly nonsensical that it's hard to take her seriously (esp. when she does her "Ballerina.... TWIRL!" quickening...) I agree that Basch is straight-up ridiculous looking, and Fran's outfit is kinda cool but simultaneously kinda stupid.

Ashe's, on the other hand, I don't mind, because at least I understand what the goal is.*

* Two letters and an &.

Llyranor

Just great, more DS titles I want.

Localize FM1 and Luminous, darn it :(

What's Atelier Lise about? What were the previous games in the series like?
Layton might have my interest as well.

They wanted to release Front Mission for DS because the dual screens are perfect for presenting lots of information, something critical in SRPGs. They also mention to not be turned off that the game would be difficult because of the robots, "like any other RPG if you level up you will be able to win". There is also a speed play mode where battles go more smoothly/quickly, and selecting menus can be done with the stylus. Looks good, I loved FM for SFC and this looks like a direct re-incarnation with new missions...

CountZeroInt said:
They wanted to release Front Mission for DS because the dual screens are perfect for presenting lots of information, something critical in SRPGs. They also mention to not be turned off that the game would be difficult because of the robots, "like any other RPG if you level up you will be able to win". There is also a speed play mode where battles go more smoothly/quickly, and selecting menus can be done with the stylus. Looks good, I loved FM for SFC and this looks like a direct re-incarnation with new missions...

Luminous Arc info. PLEASE.

neo2046 said:
just scan some pages :D

Thanks, neo! You rule! :D

Great stuff in here. Layton and Wish room both have gorgeous visual styles and are working valiantly to keep adventure gaming alive. Both Harvest Moons look great; it's nice to see Marvelous break away from the stale HM64 cast and start to create some really new characters to interact with. (My wife'll be pumped to see these pages when she gets home.)

Luminous Arc looks incredible. Anyone able to make out any factual information from those pages? I'm really curious how it plays -- it stirs up these awesome FFT flashbacks... :D

EDIT: I'm not that worried about LA coming out over here, Marvelous games have been pretty good about getting English releases -- even Rune Factory is getting one, and Contact came out over here as well. Front Mission looks great but since that seems much less likely to make it out over here I have to keep from getting too excited.

Llyranor

charlequin said:
EDIT: I'm not that worried about LA coming out over here, Marvelous games have been pretty good about getting English releases -- even Rune Factory is getting one, and Contact came out over here as well. Front Mission looks great but since that seems much less likely to make it out over here I have to keep from getting too excited.
I hope that, even if no one else picks it up, at least Atlus should hopefully have the sense to pick up LA.

FM1, though, you may be right :( At least the fact that it's 'only' a remake of FM1 is some sort of consolation. Or would be if I had played FM1 :(

Top Bottom