• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2012 Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly, Nintendo stock has seemed to rise. wtf

t

yeah, I was checking up on that earlier. obviously the shareholders don't share the same opinion as the rest of GAF. it's becoming increasingly obvious to me that Nintendo really, really wanted to get the Wii U launch out great even at the expense of its longetivity.

Raide

How does a minigame collection as part of the OS make sense?

They showed off the main menu type thing, with all the Mii's (Mii Universe?) crowding around hubs that are basically the popular games that you and your friends are playing. That should have been Nintendo Land, where you can go to Pikmin 3 Land and it then gives you all the community info, DLC news etc etc, as well as the access to the mini-games which you can play with people in that land.

Every game that comes out, get the developer to make some graphical representation of their game and make some theme-park styled mini-game for it.

Hieberrr

Because Nintendo wants to do something new but they don't want to ditch the hardcore again like they did with the Wii. As The Magician said, they are directionless.
How the mighty have fallen....

You left out the Dust Collector, I mean balance board. But yeah, there's one controller in all of that mess that may be good (gamepad). Couldn't care less about the rest.
Seriously, fuck this.

I don't understand why Nintendo wants to show this off at E3... where most, if not all, of the audience is composed of "core" gamers.

MDX

Well ShockingAlberto is saying in chat that some things were changed last minute that would have made the conference a little bit better. Like a demo of Aliens instead of Batman. Also some Nintendo first party games (EAD Toykto and Retro) were pulled for mysterious reasons. Take it for what it's worth.

Makes sense to me.
Why would they show games that were clearly not ready to be shown, like
WiiU Fit with its unpolished informercial, and games with working titles?

Obviously Nintendo is holding back, and it seems like its because
they are trying their best to appease 3rd parties, or wait for them to catch up.

Nintendo could also be holding off showing their big games because they saw that
Sony and MS didnt really produce anything new.

ShockingAlberto on the IRC chat:

ShockingAlberto said:
Okay, summary of everything I said: Nintendo is only focusing on stuff for this year, if there are further bombs then I don't necessarily know about them, but they have more games in development than what they showed. Creek and River was recently contracted by Nintendo for a game, they do CG, you can decide what that means yourself. Retro's game exists, but it could easily have slipped to next year, which is one possible reason Nintendo didn't show it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ARE YOU KIDDING ME???! Man, Plinko was right, somebody needs to be fired. This company officially lost its mind while making this conference.

I told you--none of the higher-ups know exactly what the people want.

Even I could have made that conference light years better, and that would be using only what they showed.

AzaK

Thus far, Wii U is pretty direction-less imo, as is Nintendo of late.

Yup.

tumblr_m1iaiuEbBP1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

I still can not understand what has happened today...
It's an episode of the Twilight Zone that's for sure.

ShockingAlberto, can you get your arse in here and give us your info please?

t

Not surprising. E3 really is just a mainstream media attention getter. Never mind that 90% of the viewers are core gamers and enthusiast media.

Makes sense to me.
Why would they show games that were clearly not ready to be shown, like
WiiU Fit with its unpolished informercial, and games with working titles?

Obviously Nintendo is holding back, and it seems like its because
they are trying their best to appease 3rd parties, or wait for them to catch up.
Do you mean holding back Nintendo's own games?

Nintendo could also be holding off showing their big games because they saw that
Sony and MS didnt really produce anything new.
I actually wondered this myself. If the competition does a lacklustre job, then why blow the roof off? Save that to counter other news, or to make waves closer to launch. I realise I'm probably giving Nintendo a bit more credit here than what they're worth but it's possible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I actually wonder if the big 3 have learned/been advised to not talk up a bunch of software all at once. Maybe they've discovered from a marketing perspective that it's better to discuss/reveal games slowly closer to their release dates. This makes for a boring e3 and obviously angers GAF quite a bit, but information control seems to be a priority for large corporations. Dunno, just a thought.

There was a ton of spring 2013 stuff at the other conferences

Maybe they are just too conservative. They could have shown us a further developed zelda demo, but perhaps this close to launch they think we might confuse it for a real game?

What is this I keep hearing about a Fall conference? People are talking about it in the 3DS thread as well. Have we all entered some kind of shared state of denial where we imagine and reinforce things that don't exist? Or has Nintendo hinted at something? Have they had conferences after E3 where they announced huge games before?

I remember people saying the exact same thing about last year's disappointing conference. "Don't worry guys, there's gonna be a roundtable discussion/fall conference/spaceworld/TGS to reveal Wii-U, for realz"

AGITΩ

Whatever happened to the Round table that was announced last week... wasn't that supposed to be today? Or did that become the 3DS conference?

Zero148

t

But honestly wouldn't surprise me. The WiiU will launch with a new 2D Mario Plattformer, this Casual Nintendoland and in launchwindow a new Wii Fit and other casual games. These Casual games will be greatly advertised along to Mario and it will sell in the holidays.

For the Core gamer, it could really had been a much better presentation, but I doubt the WiiU will have a bad holiday season

AGITΩ;38573308 said:
Whatever happened to the Round table that was announced last week... wasn't that supposed to be today? Or did that become the 3DS conference?

They said during the presser that they would have a developer round table tonight, the always have these kinds of round tables, Pikmin 3 was announced at . Tomorrow's 3DS conference sounds like it'll be an hour long Nintendo Direct type video showing off all things 3DS

Someone please explain to me why the fuck there are three methods of control?

GamePad, Wii U Pro, and Wii Remot + Nunchuck... Why the fuck are there so many?

Because simplicity and accessibility. Wait, unless you don't want it, then because complex and depth! Or...complex AND simple! See? The WiiU is something new. Unless you liked the Wii, then it's something old. It's new AND old. And it's good at everything. Hardcore, casual, hardcasual, softcore, mediumcore, you name it. Did we mention it's just like the Wii? Unless you didn't like the Wii, in which chase it's totes not the Wii.

Hang on, Luigis Mansion begins as 'launch' this holiday season? So that moron kind of let slip that a machine is launching for the holidays, be it Wii U or a new 3DS?

nyong

Banned
I am NOT looking forward to next gen. Everything except for Watch Dogs (which is AWESOME) looked so stale...or just insultingly violent. Even The Last of Us looked like a generic third-person cover shooter at its core.

For the first generation ever, I may be a PC-only gamer. Nothing has me excited...this industry is so damn depressing. Chasing the same lame blockbuster formula, raping consumers at every turn, entire teams axed weekly, long-time studios closing all over the place, morally questionable violence aimed at the kiddies who don't want to play bright and cheerful games lest their balls undrop, Nintendo reeking of desperation...very few bright spots.

People wondering why stocks are going up: Just Dance 4, Wii Sports and SiNG are gonna be super popular with the masses - just because the 'core didn't like what Nintendo brought to the table, doesn't mean others will too

Though honestly, this conference wasn't TERRIBLE like some people are saying, and I think once people calm down, they'll realize this. The Wii U has some decent titles coming in it's launch window: NSMB, Rayman, Pikmin all seem pretty solid for launch games. The rest are meh to okay, but that's a console launch for you. It does worry me there isn't a big first year list, but I'm at least relieved to see most of the discussed titles are for holiday season or Q1 at latest. So maybe Nintendo just held off discussing anything beyond the launch?

At least the 3DS line up is looking rather solid, finally starting to pick up steam with third parties and so on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hang on, Luigis Mansion begins as 'launch' this holiday season? So that moron kind of let slip that a machine is launching for the holidays, be it Wii U or a new 3DS?

Poor chap seemed to have a bit of stage freight and stumbled on his words. Probably just mixed release date with launch date. Wouldn't look too deeply into it.

Hazanko

Banned
People wondering why stocks are going up: Just Dance 4, Wii Sports and SiNG are gonna be super popular with the masses - just because the 'core didn't like what Nintendo brought to the table, doesn't mean others will too

Though honestly, this conference wasn't TERRIBLE like some people are saying, and I think once people calm down, they'll realize this. The Wii U has some decent titles coming in it's launch window: NSMB, Rayman, Pikmin all seem pretty solid for launch games. The rest are meh to okay, but that's a console launch for you. It does worry me there isn't a big first year list, but I'm at least relieved to see most of the discussed titles are for holiday season or Q1 at latest. So maybe Nintendo just held off discussing anything beyond the launch?

At least the 3DS line up is looking rather solid, finally starting to pick up steam with third parties and so on.

It was terrible and I am calm.

Hieberrr

Because simplicity and accessibility. Wait, unless you don't want it, then because complex and depth! Or...complex AND simple! See? The WiiU is something new. Unless you liked the Wii, then it's something old. It's new AND old. And it's good at everything. Hardcore, casual, hardcasual, softcore, mediumcore, you name it. Did we mention it's just like the Wii? Unless you didn't like the Wii, in which chase it's totes not the Wii.

I like you. :lol

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think I understand the emphasis on Nintendoland, really. They seriously do not want the existing Wii ownerbase to feel as if they're being left behind, want Wii U to feel like a direct in-line update to Wii. Hence the focus on being able to seamlessly use Wii devices and an update to Wii Fit.

And that is actually necessary. A lot of the complainers seem to have gone into this with the expectation Wii U was supposed to be Gamecube 2, or something focused entirely on the 'hardcore'. Nintendo has been saying all along Wii U would play to both audiences.

Nintendoland is probably being conceived, by Nintendo themselves, as an introduction for current Wii owners to sell them on the system on the average person. Get them on board with using the padlet, combining their existing Wii accessories with the system, etc etc.

The problem is that Nintendoland isn't a Wii Sports. While a lot of people hate on Wii Sports, that franchise is actually as superb bridge game (especially Resort). Casual and experienced gamers get something out of it, and can enjoy playing together.

So they really do appear to be dropping the ball in that regard, but then, this has sadly been a running theme with Nintendo ever since Wii Sports Resort shipped. After that game, they have floundered around without crafting a really rich experience for the expanded audience that also let core gamers enjoy it. They've unfortunately fallen back on actual party games (not what cynical core gamers label party games, which can be damned near anything).

In spite of all this, it's not really the disaster a lot of people are making it out to be. Such drama! It was just a mediocre showing.

Aside from Nintendoland, I only think they made two truly big mistakes though.

1. Putting so much emphasis on Arkham City because that's a game most hardcore have already played and shelved, plus the Wii U specific features are mostly, well, lame. The kind of cheap gimmicks you'd expect lazy 3rd parties to come up with when porting games and being asked to use 'special' hardware. The game to show would have been Colonial Marines with the padlet acting as hand scanner and motion sensor. That would have blown people away.

2. Not ending with a teaser trailer for 'one more thing', probably Retro's super secret evidently GDLK game.

Should be in the OP.

Great, now even my hype for NSMB U has been deflated a bit. It looks like forced, tacked on motion controls will be in the game even if you're using the Gamepad. Get ready to shake your Wii U pad:

smh

Because if it's one thing that waggle needed is waggling an entire slab of a controller.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Well ShockingAlberto is saying in chat that some things were changed last minute that would have made the conference a little bit better. Like a demo of Aliens instead of Batman. Also some Nintendo first party games (EAD Toykto and Retro) were pulled for mysterious reasons. Take it for what it's worth.

I'm going to go ahead and say ShockingAlberto knows dick. Or his source knows dick. Or his source is dicking around with him.

Dicks.

Busaiku

The main thing that disappointed me about the conference was the 3DS stuff.

I didn't really expect much from the Wii U stuff, as much as others have, at least, but I expected a bunch of good stuff for 3DS.
I thought stuff like Fire Emblem Awakening and Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle were a lock.

Now they said that the focus of today was not 3DS, but they did show a bunch of 3DS games anyways, but there was nothing new.
And given the release list and their E3 site, I've got no hope for Fire Emblem.

I've no doubt Paper Mario Sticker Stars will be great, but New Super Mario Bros 2 still has me wondering (since it seems like all the effort's gone to New Super Mario Bros U). We've already gotten a lot on Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, so I'm not too hyped to see it again now.
But again, these games were always expected to come regardless, I wanted something more unexpected.
And the 3rd party lineup doesn't inspire much either.

The most "exciting" thing regarding 3DS during the entire event thus far was the Code of Princess localization announcement.

Now they could completely make me look like a fool and let loose a huge load tomorrow, but given everything else, I've no hope.

Hieberrr

Yeah, but stocks would go even higher if they took gaming seriously.

The conference was pretty bad. There was no real "reveal" nor was there any real showing off of this new "incredible" machine. When companies are given a chance to truly reveal their new console, they do just that. They show it off, talk about it, etc... That's not what happened today. Everything that happened today was extremely underwhelming.

I also gotta say, I actually became really angry when Reggie started blabbering on about the system and the controller/Miiverse features AGAIN. I literally yelled out loud at the screen "ENOUGH!! WE ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THIS!! GET ON WITH IT!!" on this part, I was so mad. It was the beginning of a culmination of lies about what the purpose of this conference would be.

I told you--none of the higher-ups know exactly what the people want.

Even I could have made that conference light years better, and that would be using only what they showed.

Exactly. Show more of Pikmin 3, maybe more of NSMB U, stretch those bits out with some on stage play if you have to. Then they could have shown both Batman AND Aliens, Scribblenaughts, skipped the AWFUL Sing and Just Dance Segments, totally cut out the entire 3DS segment with awkward, poorly speaking NOA "Where's the love?" guy (seriously can't believe that stupid line he said is not a meme yet, it's like he could be Cammie's husband) and instead subsititute it with a 3DS sizzle real, trim the Nintendo segment waaaaaaay down and not make it a flipping on stage set piece, then close the conference by having Reggie announce new titles from Retro, EAD and Monolith with just titles and tiny snippets of footage and BAM...instant E3 winner.

I've said that I'm holding out for some kind of announcement, but I'm not expecting a trailer.

I think we'll be really fortunate if we even get an announcement about Retro or anything EAD Tokyo or Monolith related, ect. Only Chris Remo can save us now.

This was AMAZING, thanks. LOL

The main thing that disappointed me about the conference was the 3DS stuff.

I didn't really expect much from the Wii U stuff, as much as others have, at least, but I expected a bunch of good stuff for 3DS.
I thought stuff like Fire Emblem Awakening and Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle were a lock.

Now they said that the focus of today was not 3DS, but they did show a bunch of 3DS games anyways, but there was nothing new.
And given the release list and their E3 site, I've got no hope for Fire Emblem.

I've no doubt Paper Mario Sticker Stars will be great, but New Super Mario Bros 2 still has me wondering (since it seems like all the effort's gone to New Super Mario Bros U). We've already gotten a lot on Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, so I'm not too hyped to see it again now.
But again, these games were always expected to come regardless, I wanted something more unexpected.
And the 3rd party lineup doesn't inspire much either.

The most "exciting" thing regarding 3DS during the entire event thus far was the Code of Princess localization announcement.

Now they could completely make me look like a fool and let loose a huge load tomorrow, but given everything else, I've no hope.

Why did you expect any 3DS stuff? Nintendo told everybody multiple times that they were saving 3DS stuff for a Wednesday show.

Chaplain

I just got back from the show floor. Looked at a bunch of games and got to look at Assassins Creed 3. Looked a little better than the other consoles versions in some ways, but not in others. The Ubisoft rep said that its a direct port (he didn't know if it was ported from the 360 or the PS3), some things run better on the Wii U (like the water scenes according to the rep) and some things do not, he didn't know if it was using the extra ram since it is a port, and he said that showing anything other than 2D images on the Wii U Gamepad would hit the frame rate of the game.

A few other things:

1. Multiplayer is there (but I didn't get to see it)
2. DLC is coming
3. The rep assumed the game could be patched

That's what I figured. After the sony\ms conferences, there just was no need to show off trump cards. Save it for next year. Besides whoever is going to buy the system at launch is still going to buy it at launch. And the ones who say they won't will as soon as nintendo releases any AAA title

Thaedolus

Gold Member
This thread is hilarious. I had a totally different reaction to the Nintendo conference. I would have loved a Metroid Prime or something to be announced, but goddamn if you're all acting like Nintendo will never make a game for us hardcore gamers again, ever. As if Wii U won't have the next 3D Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros. Jesus fucking Christ...

starmud

no iwata felt bad.

i don't feel like nintendo is lacking vision, leadership is a bit shaky though. iwata seems very nervous, more so lately than i've seen him act before. maybe gives some insight into whats going on at nintendo right now. economy is garbage. the market is in a transitional phase on multiple levels. its not unjustified, but at some point they need to own a set plan.

nintendo seems to be taking in too much feedback at once, social media hoovering. not wanting to commit really on anything, everything is evolving or unknown. a later date.

the last two nintendo e3's were pretty good too...

i'll never really understand this presser, theres a grocery list of oddities

no sports title after teasing last year, ubi the only the wiiu spots game. outside of batman (._.), avoiding any real showcase of a graphics title. a lot of projects that look to have began life on wii. game series you wouldn't expect to scream graphics. not communicating the tablet with more live demos.

p-100 for a after presser demos on gaming sites... NSMBU, just, wasn't fun to watch :(

thank god for the 3ds, but even there, just come out with a damn revision and do it nintendo. another project that seems to be in development purgatory.

Busaiku

Why did you expect any 3DS stuff? Nintendo told everybody multiple times that they were saving 3DS stuff for a Wednesday show.

I'm disappointed because given the site and release list, and their focus today, it looks like there won't be anything of note tomorrow.

MisterHero

I had harsh words in the Conference Ranking thread, but at least all the games Nintendo talked about are coming out at launch, rather than all the stuff that was talked about for 3DS in 2010.

Wii U has a solid lineup but the show itself stunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom