• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2012 Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

I understand the thought process behind this.

Nintendo thinks that Nintendoland is the casual-focus title that will win the Wii U into people's homes. It doesn't want mainstream journalists (NYT, USA Today) getting the message confused and talking about other franchises, it wants them to focus the narrative on NL.

That doesn't mean I like it. Of course, if they reveal something at a later conference, all is redeemed.

Sort of.

When you see how the mainstream press is reacting to the Wii U this time around it becomes very apparent Nintendo threw the core under the bus to get the big hype machine going at least for now

My humble, Star Fox-inspired tribute to you, sir:

General Pepper Reacts To E3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ-H-CoQA9w

75LKL.png

So good

AGITΩ

My main take away from the conference, since my friends were over watching it as well. WiiFit U will forever be an Innuendo among us. We await another Sequel, UFit Mii.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You may run into a Zombie Elizabeth and Phillip. In the live gameplay Demo the female survivor they spawned ashad an objective to get into Buckingham Palace and search around

So Philip is already amongst the undead. I always had my suspicions.

Celine

GC had decent third party support. Most of the big games were there, although it may have been shitty ports. I fear that the third party support for the Wii U will be even worse.
Until 2003, after that even shitty ports ceased for the most part.

Linkhero1

I just came out from socializing and I've cooled down a bit compared to earlier.

I decided I'm getting a Wii U at launch because the core games will eventually come. I'm definitely getting Rayman Legends and NSMB. The Wii U will have to great platformers within launch window. I'm still upset they didn't show what I wanted, but I'm fine with the launch line up.

rpmurphy

The one aspect about Nintendo's conference that I did like was that most of the games shown were not the scripted cinematic games that the industry loves to peddle so much. Also, no long game demos was a plus. There was too much talking though, and Scott Moffitt really needs a lot more practice speaking on stage.

Sianos

Yeah, the dissapointment has worn off to acceptance. The games will eventually come, I'll just wait some more. I have my backlog and the Steam Summer Sale to hold me until then.

Hoping for at least one bomb will be dropped between the 3DS Games Conference and the Developer Roundtable.

Thraktor

When you see how the mainstream press is reacting to the Wii U this time around it becomes very apparent Nintendo threw the core under the bus to get the big hype machine going at least for now

I think it was just Nintendo being conservative and focussing on the sorts of games that are basically guaranteed sellers, as opposed to trying to chase an audience which might never come back to them. I'm actually thinking that Nintendo are going to have a Nintendo direct or something that's targeted towards "core" gamers at some point before launch, judging by the fact that Activision are still saying "no comment" to BLOPS 2 on Wii U. My expectations for it are pretty low by this stage, but maybe they'll decide to be generous with us and show a clip of whatever Retro's working on.

Effect

Are any sites live blogging the developer round table tonight or is Nintendo streaming that?

Overall while there was somethings I liked I think in genreal I'm torn. Not disappointed or happy but very meh about the whole thing. Thinking more it's easy to see what Nintendo did really wrong. Where they wasted a LOT of time.

I cam out of it liking the following.

Pikmin 3
Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition (I have yet to play it on other systems. Still have my copy of Asylam that came with my PS3 unopened for various reasons but I did like what I saw.)
ZombiU (liked the most)
Paper Mario
Lugi's Mansion
Lego City
Wii Fit U (I have the other two games in the series)

The rest either disappointed or I simply wasn't interested in. Nintendo Land is clearly something I won't be able to play by myself so no matter how fun it might be it's worthless to me. They wasted to much damn time in the end.

I hate saying this but Sony's was the best conference for me. Not that crap All Stars but The Last of Us, the new game from the Heavy Rain studio and a few other things.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That GIF is too awesome. Where's the face from?
An anime called Space Brothers.

The one aspect about Nintendo's conference that I did like was that most of the games shown were not the scripted cinematic games that the industry loves to peddle so much. Also, no long game demos was a plus. There was too much talking though, and Scott Moffitt really needs a lot more practice speaking on stage.

I liked they they explained what was going on when they showed game footage. Biggest pet peeve on E3 for me is when someone just stands on stage playing a game in total silence. Please take note that you are boring me to death for a billionth year running Mr.COD.

ari

Banned
well to be fair to all presentations, this is the last e3 hooray for this generations. nintendo really got caught in a shitty cycle to get support with the wii u. lol

rpmurphy

An anime called Space Brothers.

I liked they they explained what was going on when they showed game footage. Biggest pet peeve on E3 for me is when someone just stands on stage playing a game in total silence. Please take note that you are boring me to death for a billionth year running Mr.COD.
Yeah total silence is awkward. Sony's God of War demo was a good example of how to do a poor demo. But Eguchi I think spoke too much. That segment didn't seem well-rehearsed.

lettermassing

Neo Member
There are more launch titles that I'm interested in than there ever have been in any console launch. The conference wasn't great but you can't ignore the games that are there so far.

jwj442

I think NintendoLand actually looks fun for what it is. I enjoyed Pac-man Vs., so I like the Luigi's Mansion game. But making it the climax of the conference and spending ten minutes explaining every detail of the Luigi game was awful.

RagnarokX

What probably happened is that Nintendo didn't want to overhype WiiU's launch like they did with 3DS and focused only on titles in development that would be ready within the launch window. With 3DS they showed games like Paper Mario Sticker Star which hasn't even come out yet and it bit them in the ass. Hopefully they are working on the big games we want but it was really disappointing not to see them.

Olaeh

I understand the thought process behind this.

Nintendo thinks that Nintendoland is the casual-focus title that will win the Wii U into people's homes. It doesn't want mainstream journalists (NYT, USA Today) getting the message confused and talking about other franchises, it wants them to focus the narrative on NL.

That doesn't mean I like it. Of course, if they reveal something at a later conference, all is redeemed.

Sort of.

This really does make a lot of sense.

RagnarokX said:
What probably happened is that Nintendo didn't want to overhype WiiU's launch like they did with 3DS and focused only on titles in development that would be ready within the launch window. With 3DS they showed games like Paper Mario Stick Star which hasn't even come out yet and it bit them in the ass.

This too.

zeioIIDX

Wow, I totally thought Nintendo Land would be built-in software :/ Then again, Wii Sports was not built-in although it was a pack-in...I found ZombiU to be interesting and...that was about it. Ah well. I have a HUGE backlog of games for 360/Vita/3DS/PC/etc anyway so I think Wii U can wait, for me at least.

Redford

aka Cabbie
All I'll say is that I'm let down but it wasn't a terrible conference. Optimistic that, aside from the fact that this is just a conference and not an actual launch aftermath (yet), I'd much rather see the Wii U prove itself over the next few years than go the way of blue giant star Wii-01X bloated with hype.

Hopefully it does at least a little better than 3DS, however. Probably not getting it on launch day, but by the end of this year for sure.

Also I totally called this:

F8WKc.png

Was a reader of the Wii U speculation thread since part 3 and posted a few times in parts 4 and 5.

I can't begin to describe my disappointment with todays Nintendo E3 conference.

As soon as i seen Pikmin 3 i knew they were in trouble, it looked to me like Pikmin 2 upscaled to HD with a few graphical improvements like water / fire.

NSMB U is a nice game for the casuals and im sure will sell well but i have had my fill many times over of 2D Mario.

ZombiU looks graphically on par with PS360 like visuals and the constant 'look at the Wii U screen' prompt would ruin any sort of immersion in such a game.

The rest isn't even worth talking about.

No player profile with an Achievement like system shown.

No big first party games like Zelda, 3D Mario, Metroid, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, F Zero, Starfox, Donkey Kong, Pilotwings, Waverace ect.

No Retro studios game.

No major third party support in the form of Blops 2, MoH 2, Resident Evil 6, GTA V, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, Splinter Cell Black List to name but 10.

Im sure the Twitter like Home Page, NSMB 2 and Wii Fit U along with the Tablet pad and video chat will go down well with casuals but i will now not be buying one at launch and not until it has at least 4 or 5 must have exclusive games.

I would like to know how the so called 'insiders' like BG, Iheere and Ideaman explain a system that runs games that look like Wii HD ports and PS360 games after going on for months about 2GB's of Ram and a 480 FLOP GPU's at least, (thats 40 times the power of a Wii GPU and 17 times more Ram), Utter Bullshit.

That Zelda tech demo was CGI imo.

What a joke...

Portugeezer

Where was the megaton? The Retro Studios game? I expected more hardcore titles to be shown at the conference. Wii U graphics were underwhelming.

Nintendo still cared too much about casual, but 3DS is still going strong and Pikmin 3 was finally shown, Zombi U looked like it made good use of the Wii U.

Ultimately my final feeling is: "that's it?"

Was a reader of the Wii U speculation thread since part 3 and posted a few times in parts 4 and 5.

I can't begin to describe my disappointment with todays Nintendo E3 conference.

As soon as i seen Pikmin 3 i knew they were in trouble, it looked to me like Pikmin 2 upscaled to HD with a few graphical improvements like water / fire.

NSMB U is a nice game for the casuals and im sure will sell well but i have had my fill many times over of 2D Mario.

ZombiU looks graphically on par with PS360 like visuals and the constant 'look at the Wii U screen' prompt would ruin any sort of immersion in such a game.

The rest isn't even worth talking about.

No player profile with an Achievement like system shown.

No big first party games like Zelda, 3D Mario, Metroid, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, F Zero, Starfox, Donkey Kong, Pilotwings, Waverace ect.

No Retro studios game.

No major third party support in the form of Blops 2, MoH 2, Resident Evil 6, GTA V, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Bioshock, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, Splinter Cell Black List to name but 10.

Im sure the Twitter like Home Page, NSMB 2 and Wii Fit U along with the Tablet pad and video chat will go down well with casuals but i will now not be buying one at launch and not until it has at least 4 or 5 must have exclusive games.

I would like to know how the so called 'insiders' like BG, Iheere and Ideaman explain a system that runs games that look like Wii HD ports and PS360 games after going on for months about 2GB's of Ram and a 480 FLOP GPU's at least, (thats 40 times the power of a Wii GPU and 17 times more Ram), Utter Bullshit.

That Zelda tech demo was CGI imo.

What a joke...

Lol, calm down.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Pikmin 3

I doubt the number of characters have to do with anything. The size of the "scratch" things are probably relative to one another.

Xun

I still can't get over how fucking bad that conference was.

They're fucking clueless.

We waited a year for barely anything new at all.

donny2112

Regarding lack of EA Sports games on Wii U, just had a really funny thought. What if EA was pushing Nintendo to make Origin their online game provider (e.g. EA president at last year's E3 talking about Wii U online infrastructure), Nintendo decided to stay with the Wild West option (i.e. everyone do their own thing for online play), so EA withheld the sports titles in retaliation. Hard to imagine such a large third-party publisher "taking their ball and going home" when they don't get their way, but that'd certainly explain the turnaround from EA being at last year's conference to only ME3 being on Wii U for launch. The Xbox Smart Glass play-calling seems like a perfect fit for Wii U's pad, for example.

/conspiracy theory

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom