• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2012 Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think it starts at 9, but the video is released later:

That evening the company will be hosting a behind closed doors Wii U developer roundtable. That takes place Tuesday, June 5 at 6:00 PM PT. (So... 2am in the UK. Good luck with that one!) Unlike the main conference, the Wii U showcase will not be live streamed - but we'll try to bring live updates via our Twitter accounts (see below for details) as the event unfolds.

(IGN)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You really think if they had anything else amazing to show they wouldn't have shown it at the main conference ?.

Reggie said in the post interview that they were only showing launch / launch window games at E3, we have seen everything that is coming, your just setting yourself up for more disappointment if you think they are going to pull out Smash Bros or Mario Kart on the show floor...
I like to wait for impressions from the showfloor, what's wrong with that? We already know of games that weren't shown at the conference because like every year they popped up on their website. Still surprised people (including the media) managed to forget this. I have never said I'm not expecting anything big, I'm just surprised E3 has boiled down to just the conferences now.

Help me out- other than Smash in 2006, when has Nintendo released a surprise trailer after their E3 press conference?
Not a trailer, but OoT3DS was shown later on at E3 2010.

Linkhero1

Wow. We're really judging the wonderbook by its cover now.

I thought GAF was better than this. What happened to games for everyone.

I guarantee you that you aren't any better. Don't act as if you've never judged something by looking at it. It's a casualfest based off the gameplay I saw. It's more suited to be a pack-in with each Wii U.

Ah, so people are banking on a "WTF, why didn't they show that during the conference?" moment. Knowing Nintendo it's not completely out of the question. Or maybe we're just deluding ourselves with false hope.

On the plus side:
- NSMB Wii U looking pretty good, none of that Mii nonsense, gorgeous backgrounds, cute baby yoshis, awesome squirrel suit
- Pikmin 3 I guess, eh.

On the minus side, everything else, including:
- Stupid NSMB 2 gimmick reminiscing of the raccoon tail clusterfuck in 3D Land. Stupid game with no co-op or versus mode that we know of so far. This is no SMB sequel.
- 3DS games WHO CARES YOU'VE GOT A WHOLE CONFERENCE FOR THAT TOMORROW
- Stupid "enhanced ports" of games everybody's already bought and played through
- Nothing about online, nothing about digital games (UWare and VC)
- Social crap that will enhance nobody's experience. It's also incredibly un-Nintendo-like in the sense that they're not even putting their own fun spin on the whole thing. It's just like Twitter or Facebook.
- Pacing and announcement order OMG. Nintendoland, really? Minigames need long presentations at the end of a conference now? Revealing the biggest games in the first few minutes? Demoing an already-released game (Batman)? Inviting people on stage who don't speak English really well? Reggie might be a PR mouthpiece (he's only good when the content is good) but at least he knows how to talk. He's a trained speaker. Guillemot and pals aren't. Reggie should talk for them.
- And many other things

I was always a Wii lover and a Wii U skeptic, but stuff like NSMB Wii U and all the scheduled conferences made me hope that the Wii U might actually be worth purchasing somewhere down the road by the end of the presentation. Instead, this conference has convinced me that Nintendo either doesn't know where the fuck it's going with this new system, or they're deliberately putting their wants and desires before consumer needs. They've got to be playing deaf.

How can you have so little to show when it's been a year since you first unveiled the system and the launch is upon us? How can you have so little to show when you've obviously abandoned Wii development for quite a while?

This makes me angry as a Wii owner, because I had hopes that the dirth of games these past 1.5 years meant more stuff for its successor. Instead I'm greeted with one must-have game and one mildly interesting one that could have been released for the Wii without much being lost in the process. In fact, one of them was scheduled for the Wii originally.

Some things to note from your impressions.

NSMBU will have Mii integration, but that's not the main pull anymore.

NSMB2 has local co-op and at least 1 multiplayer mode (StreetPass-based stuff, too)

They needed to discuss 3DS in some way or end up giving the "given up on 3DS" impression that we have with Sony and the PSVita. That and it showed three big games, too.

Not everyone has played the originals to the ports, but I do understand. If ShockingAlberto is correct, this game was meant to be Aliens, but because it was delayed into 2013, they pulled it from the show.

If you mean the Miiverse won't add to anything, then you assume the Wii U will just be about the controller? The fact Nintendo had a Nintendo Direct emphasizing the Miiverse tells me otherwise. And they did add their spin to it, with the Miis and the note-drawing and the like.

NintendoLand was arguably the worst presented part of the conference, which is why the show seems to appear poor to us. They should have just played that game rather than do a silly play-by-play. Eguchi has NEVER been a good presenter, which sucks. I think he last appeared in 2008 to promote Animal Crossing: City Folk. Yeah.

I think a lot of people are not really seeing that Nintendo is showing off the launch games and nothing else. That'd mean Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Wii Fit U, Lego City Stories, Project P-100, and Game & Wario before 2013. Not to mention Rayman Legends, ZombiU, and a few multiplat releases. To me, that's a solid release lineup. If they dared release a Zelda, 3D Mario, or more bigger franchises, it would eat third party game sales as well as lead to the dirth of software the Wii had later on.

On the plus side:
- NSMB Wii U looking pretty good, none of that Mii nonsense, gorgeous backgrounds, cute baby yoshis, awesome squirrel suit
- Pikmin 3 I guess, eh.

On the minus side, everything else, including:
- Stupid NSMB 2 gimmick reminiscing of the raccoon tail clusterfuck in 3D Land. Stupid game with no co-op or versus mode that we know of so far. This is no SMB sequel.
- 3DS games WHO CARES YOU'VE GOT A WHOLE CONFERENCE FOR THAT TOMORROW
- Stupid "enhanced ports" of games everybody's already bought and played through
- Nothing about online, nothing about digital games (UWare and VC)
- Social crap that will enhance nobody's experience. It's also incredibly un-Nintendo-like in the sense that they're not even putting their own fun spin on the whole thing. It's just like Twitter or Facebook.
- Pacing and announcement order OMG. Nintendoland, really? Minigames need long presentations at the end of a conference now? Revealing the biggest games in the first few minutes? Demoing an already-released game (Batman)? Inviting people on stage who don't speak English really well? Reggie might be a PR mouthpiece (he's only good when the content is good) but at least he knows how to talk. He's a trained speaker. Guillemot and pals aren't. Reggie should talk for them.
- And many other things

I was always a Wii lover and a Wii U skeptic, but stuff like NSMB Wii U and all the scheduled conferences made me hope that the Wii U might actually be worth purchasing somewhere down the road by the end of the presentation. Instead, this conference has convinced me that Nintendo either doesn't know where the fuck it's going with this new system, or they're deliberately putting their wants and desires before consumer needs. They've got to be playing deaf.

How can you have so little to show when it's been a year since you first unveiled the system and the launch is upon us? How can you have so little to show when you've obviously abandoned Wii development for quite a while?

This makes me angry as a Wii owner, because I had hopes that the dirth of games these past 1.5 years meant more stuff for its successor. Instead I'm greeted with one must-have game and one mildly interesting one that could have been released for the Wii without much being lost in the process. In fact, one of them was scheduled for the Wii originally.

You're echoing a lot of my sentiments. I don't think NSMB2 looks "bad," just uninspired. But I feel the same way about NSMB U. Pikmin 3 is the only thing that excites me at all.

Everything else is dead on. Particularly Nintendo's lack of direction. It's clear they want both the magic of Wii and the hardcore sales of 360. But they're not offering the plethora of games and features (whether technical or online) for the hardcore.

And they, frankly, don't have the magic bullet with a tablet controller. The tablet is just a dual analog pad that functions as a slightly worse DS screen, since it's not as close to the actual playing field, the TV.

Other fun stuff that you didn't mention:

- Yves Guillotine forced to thank Reggie on stage. Awkwardwtf

- Leaving out Platinum Games, but letting the Animal Crossing dev rattle on.

Well, if the Wii U is not launching until holiday 2012, then that still leaves Tokyo Game Show and Nintendo Fall Summit (Space World) where we can see more from the Wii U.

Portugeezer

Yeah, it's better than showing a game called Nintendoland as a closer. I would take a fucking screenshot of the next Mario 3D title over 10 mins of that piece of shit.

So true. Even teasing the next Zelda or Metroid would have been huge.

Where the fuck were Retro?

Alrix

So was he wrong? Or making things up? I'm not going to accuse him, but I'm not sure what is or was going on.

I'm not saying he was wrong but I was just wondering if maybe he'd been around and spilled the beans after nothing new came out of the conference. He knows something and I want to know what it is :(

I thought the same thing, but they both might be the same thing. Just we won't get a video of this discussion until later.

Well usually the roundtable involves Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka. This sounds like it's just going to be Eguchi talking about the hardware, with little to no software info revealed. :(

NSMB2 has local co-op and at least 1 multiplayer mode (StreetPass-based stuff, too)

They needed to discuss 3DS in some way or end up giving the "given up on 3DS" impression that we have with Sony and the PSVita. That and it showed three big games, too.

Not everyone has played the originals to the ports, but I do understand. If ShockingAlberto is correct, this game was meant to be Aliens, but because it was delayed into 2013, they pulled it from the show.

If you mean the Miiverse won't add to anything, then you assume the Wii U will just be about the controller? The fact Nintendo had a Nintendo Direct emphasizing the Miiverse tells me otherwise. And they did add their spin to it, with the Miis and the note-drawing and the like.

NintendoLand was arguably the worst presented part of the conference, which is why the show seems to appear poor to us. They should have just played that game rather than do a silly play-by-play. Eguchi has NEVER been a good presenter, which sucks. I think he last appeared in 2008 to promote Animal Crossing: City Folk. Yeah.

I think a lot of people are not really seeing that Nintendo is showing off the launch games and nothing else. That'd mean Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Wii Fit U, Lego City Stories, Project P-100, and Game & Wario before 2013. Not to mention Rayman Legends, ZombiU, and a few multiplat releases. To me, that's a solid release lineup. If they dared release a Zelda, 3D Mario, or more bigger franchises, it would eat third party game sales as well as lead to the dirth of software the Wii had later on.

See I slowly am starting to feel better about the Wii U because I wasn't aware that it was a launch lineup only conference. That I believe was their biggest mistake.

Nintendoland wasn't their only major mistake. The fact that they dedicated so much time to a year old port of a game hyping it as a major game is also worrisome. Ubisoft's section was fairly useless simply because Ubisoft blew their load the day before. Also, quite simply Gaf isn't very excited when it comes to Legos and their casual software.

Now that I've calmed down a bit the lineup for 2012 is decent(assuming EA and Activision have a few titles yet to officially anounce) not that horrid for launch lineup. The problem was execution. The major problem was their time spent on various aspects(the Platinum games title should've been focused over Batman or cut into Nintendoland's time) and not fully communicating that it was only 2012 titles. I think Nintendo will do alright for itself but they definetly need to put on some major teasers/anouncements ffor 2013 come this fall before launch.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
These were my worst fears and I posted them in the Spec thread.

Here's a bad case for tomorrow, and something I hope doesn't happen.

Here's what I don't want to happen:
- Nintendo slacks on graphics for most of their games (NSMB, Pikmin, Wii U Sports / Party game, Kirby or Yoshi game) leaving the only really impressive title to Retro. They look good enough but are outshined by most PS3/360 games we've been seeing at E3. This turned out even worse than I thought. No Retro to save the day.
- 3rd party support is obviously lacking. Nintendo highlights Zombi U as a big "hardcore game" with little else from 3rd parties. I think it's pretty safe to say this happened. It wasn't shown off like I thought it would be at the conference, but there was very little else that was hardcore from 3rd parties.
- No eShop games revealed for Wii U. eShop wasn't even mentioned at the conference.
- Nintendo spends more than 7 minutes on New Super Mario Bros. I'm pretty sure it was less than 7 minutes. I don't want to relive that conference again so I'll stay away from footage.
- Embarrassing demo showing a party or casual game that lasts too long and is just generally embarrassing. (Maybe Your Shape Fitness?) You could argue Nintendo Land. It wasn't a demo but they spent wayyyy to long.
- More than 2 multiplats demoed. Didn't happen, although waaayyyy too much time was spent with Batman Arkham Asylum.

I'm not saying he was wrong but I was just wondering if maybe he'd been around and spilled the beans after nothing new came out of the conference. He knows something and I want to know what it is :(

Ok, I was not sure what you were trying to indicate. Well, perhaps there is a chance his mystery title shows up during the roundtable tonight.

Oh you've played it? Please do tell me your impressions.
I've played it. It's PacMan Versus over and over again :) I mean, it's fun, but two of the games are "3 people team up against the guy with the Gamepad, who can see more than them". The Zelda game was fun but overly simplistic ( you don't control your movement, the Gamepad user chooses if you move forward along the set track ). The ninja game was exactly like it looked, a remake of the old Shinobi between-stage minigame. Didn't play the Donkey Kong game.

They also mentioned they were working on Pikmin 3 for the first time.

And do you remember when they revealed Pikmin for the first time? 2008.

And do you remember why? Because their E3 2008 was so embarrassingly awful and geared towards shit nobody wanted to see that they gave it up as an apologia.

Full circle.

These were my worst fears and I posted them in the Spec thread.

Fantastical
Death Prophet

Duallusion

Maybe they didn't want to blow all their load and they saved some ammo for next E3 to counter PS4/Xnext launch?

...?

There Must be a rational explanation for this shit! :(

Their one event to relaunch the console featured almost no new games (Pikmin, ZombiU and Scribblenauts exempt). As great as we all know NSMBU will be, it can only do so much with that style, and it does nothing to show us what Wii-U can do and what it's all about.

It was all ports and expansion packs to PS3/360 releases and last years tech demos given new names. No EA sports or the yearly EA/Activision shooters? That shit is flat out worrying. If that was your expectation for a console re-unveiling, your expectation for a console launching this year, then I don't think its us who need to check our expectations for being too high, its you for having them so low.

I'll take it all back if they announce anything good during the rest of the week.

why should these third parties commit to the WiiU when Nintendo can't even figure out pricing or a release date? isn't this thing due out this year?

Andy McNamara touched on this during the Bonus Round earlier today

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

I know, but at least they didn't emphasize it.

That's good to know. I hope there's a versus mode too!

Show one short trailer showcasing a few seconds of the most important games and tell the audience there's a conference tomorrow specifically for 3DS games. The audience isn't stupid: if you tell them to wait till tomorrow, they'll wait.

Those would be people like me, who most likely aren't even that interested in those games. I guess showing stuff that's not been released yet makes some sense, but stuff like Batman and Mass Effect 3 is just plain stupid.

Granted, we don't know much about Miiverse, but I really doubt it'll add much value, and it certainly won't do anything for gameplay. I don't know that what they're doing with the Miis will be significant. We'll see.

What I don't get is how do the guys at Nintendo go about those presentations, do they just go "okay, so this guy directed the game, so obviously having him speak will be good"? Or is it the developers who are just dying to go on stage? I doubt it, otherwise we'd have had Sakamoto on stage at least once, given the man's ego (see Other M) :p. Wouldn't it make sense to have them come up with a list of stuff to say, have Reggie (or whoever writes his speeches) come up with a nice text around it, and then review it over and over with those people? He could then present what the designers intended to tell us about, only in a much more pleasant way for the audience.

Regardless, the game shouldn't have been last. It should have been shown first as a way to explain what the controller can do. But they should have done it quickly, going over 2 or 3 key aspects and nothing more. Explaining the entire controller would take too much time because it's so much more complex than the Wiimote.

I don't encourage companies to show stuff that won't come out for a long while (for instance, that Zelda tech demo in 2011 was completely stupid because it got people hyped only to be sorely disappointed come E3 2012), but use raw quantity to your advantage. Stuff like that Platinum game (however obscure) should have been showcase, if only to say "our games aren't just ports and rehashes" and to avoid awkward long presentations of games everybody knows already. I mean seriously, even with as little as 10 games you can manage to make an hour-long conference not too boring. Just pad the presentation with smooth transitions and interesting feature-talk. The pacing was all over the place.

Thanks for the corrections.

why should these third parties commit to the WiiU when Nintendo can't even figure out pricing or a release date? isn't this thing due out this year?

Andy McNamara touched on this during the Bonus Round earlier today

Nintendo announced long ago that there would be no price, no release date during E3. They never announce those during E3. Don't know why anyone was disappointed that Nintendo did exactly what they said they'd do.

I am NOT looking forward to next gen. Everything except for Watch Dogs (which is AWESOME) looked so stale...or just insultingly violent. Even The Last of Us looked like a generic third-person cover shooter at its core.

For the first generation ever, I may be a PC-only gamer. Nothing has me excited...this industry is so damn depressing. Chasing the same lame blockbuster formula, raping consumers at every turn, entire teams axed weekly, long-time studios closing all over the place, morally questionable violence aimed at the kiddies who don't want to play bright and cheerful games lest their balls undrop, Nintendo reeking of desperation...very few bright spots.

Word up!

This conference was so powerfully disappointing that I feel burned out on Nintendo and the industry altogether. It's depressing to watch the industry, and especially by following news sites, with the state video game journalism is in (well, not that it used to be good). I've enjoyed following fan sites and Neogaf, like the amusing honeycombs of delicious hype (& stark seriousness) that it is, but I do it mostly to share the love of Nintendo and games as an art form, and well, the way things are going, I feel like the disappointments outweigh the good parts.

Although it's waay too early to count them out, Nintendo seem to have lost a part of their soul.

Their desperate ways of trying to win market share has compromised the artistic integrity that once seemed like their number 1 priority (in more innocent times). The Nintendo of yesterday didn't give a shit about trends, they knew they were the best. These days they seem much more insecure. Every title seems to come from a rational point of view. They've taken on a colder, more analytical way of treating their best franchises. But the thing is, the public usually doesn't know what it wants until creative vision shows them something new and unexpected. As the players of the industry get more scared, that quality is getting tainted.

Granted, lots of their teams and especially EAD Tokyo is still amazing, but even they will eventually be watered down to capitalize on whatever the chairmen feels is best money-wise. Nintendo will continue to make good games for years, I'm sure, but they wouldn't put out a self-sufficient game like Majora's Mask today. Maybe it's the industry that has gotten too ruff, but man, Nintendo should hold the flag high! I wish they could feasibly operate as stubborn idealists, but maybe I just don't see their economical point of view. I'm just a dreaming consumer, not a turgid capitalist.

Anyway. What the hell is their vision for this next console? It's hardly trailblazing, more of a hodge-podge of whatever is hot - which right now is tablets - and whatever made them cash for the past few years, which has been solid, but offensively soulless, superficial homages to their classics. They'll be fine, but I doubt the Wii U will be disruptive.

I just don't have faith anymore that Nintendo will make the stuff I feel they should, which is heartbreaking, but also a relief, I guess. Time to just let it go. There are still so many fantastic games from the past 20 years I haven't played, and fantastic games will continue to come. Sure, the industry is heading in a questionable direction, but it's a great era to be gaming, still.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I'm not sure really what to believe. It kind of sounds like Nintendo may have pulled stuff last minute. ShockingAlberto said this, Shane Satterfield said what he saw was "pretty damn good", and Shikamaru Ninja echoed this.

Either people are just pulling stuff out of their asses (probably), or people know or saw some stuff before Nintendo decided we should see it.

Who knows. Maybe this developer roundtable will be fruitful.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Maybe they didn't want to blow all their load and they saved some ammo for next E3 to counter PS4/Xnext launch?

...?

There Must be a rational explanation for this shit! :(

Nintendo is infamous for showing software only months before release. The software shown is only for the first 4-or-so months of its release. They will certainly announce more for January - July at a later period before the next E3.

I wouldn't worry too much...

Mario, Pikmin, Project P-100, Rayman, Lego City, Scribblenauts, Zombi U, etc. is a pretty damn good launch... not to mention the more casual stuff. 0_o

It's just not good for E3. :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom