• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2012 Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, DQX and Retro's game could have been there, and I still would have thought it was weaker than 2006. Significantly better than what they did and easily better than the others' conferences, but not as good as 2006.

But like I said they didn't tease anything. Don't just focus on those two.

This surprised me too. There wasn't one racer or FPS shown. This was about the worst I imagined it could have been.

I agree. And it may boil down to their overprotective nature that kept certain things from happening. Which I think was suggested earlier.

Nintendo don't announce games a year + in advance anymore, so there's that hope at least...

Which is one of the biggest problems for an event like today's.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
...I swear to god you people are so overly dramatic sometimes.

The 2nd half of the conference disappointed me as much as the next person but... last console really?

Nintendo can't support a system by themselves. They don't have the staffing and it looks like they don't have the third party support. I don't think I'm being unrealistic here. It happened to Sega and it can happen to Nintendo. They've just lost record amounts of money, had to pull drastic measures to save 3DS and they're launching a new console in the middle of the biggest economic recession the world has ever seen. There's every reason to be concerned.

I will admit the meltdowns have been epic though, myself included.

BlueMagic

Someone who was at the floor said in a topic somewhere (I forget) that Assassin's Creed III performed better in some areas and worse in others. He mentioned water looked better, and also was informed by the rep there that it was pretty much a straight port.

At the very least, it's on par with the PS3/360.

Damn, I was really hoping for it to perform at least a little better. Or even a little worse but at 1080p. Damn.

BTW, I spotted Reggie on the show floor, here's a crappy pic of him:

Amznt.jpg

The 3DS blowout had stuff that isn't even out yet, which stands in sharp contrast with the Wii U disaster we witnessed today that only focused on early games. If you compare the reactions to the 3DS and Wii U after their respective coming-out parties, it's pretty obvious that the tight focus on this year was a huge mistake on Nintendo's part.

Adversely though there has only been two major(sales wise) Nintendo developed games anounced since then(LM2 and NSMB2) and Nintendo is struggling thinking of a way to keep momentum in the west. Once we came close to launch and Nintendo spilled the abysmal launch lineup as well as the price the Backlash was ten fold. It maybe looked for a nice E3 but it definetly didn't help them in the long run.

Davey Cakes

If Nintendo had included ALL ports of third-party games only in trailers/sizzle reels, showed games like P-100, Wario, and the Retro/EAD trailers (if they actually exist), went more in-depth on ZombiU with all those cool features/details that the press are talking about, and made 3DS part of the conference while extending the conference to 1 and half hours, it could have been an A or at least an easy B. The options were there to give people a good show and Nintendo didn't pull the trigger. Bad decisions and management for sure.

The content is there and it's relatively compelling if you consider that Nintendo was only showing launch and launch window materials, but the package presented to the audience was entirely lackluster, and was only hurt by the exclusion of certain games.

Seriously, Nintendo. Don't try to split things up anymore. Just put all your eggs in a single basket and blow your audience away. And make your conference longer!

I sound selfish.

BlackJace

It left a bitter taste in my mouth that I'm trying to wipe out with Rayman Legend and NSMBU screens.

Edit: So far it's not working.

Somehow I still have hope. For some extremely stupid reason they're probably gonna drop heavy hitters as we get closer to launch. It's Nintendo.

Linkhero1

I think you're overreacting, but the extremely anemic EA and Activision support is fucking insane. Unless they're inexplicably holding announcements for later, it's not a good sign at all.

I was being sarcastic and making fun of the Dreamcast. I can't believe you guys missed that.

Somehow I still have hope. For some extremely stupid reason they're probably gonna drop heavy hitters as we get closer to launch. It's Nintendo.

I predict we'll get a Nintendo Direct in August detailing launch and hopefully more titles.

watershed

Banned
And no 3ds zelda announcement. Its like Nintendo has forgotten how to create hype at all. I know there's the 3ds showcase later and I hope they have some surprises there. The little bit of 3ds at the conference was pretty poor.

Dedicating stage time to Batman was the pinnacle of stupid. Nobody was listening, and nobody cared.

ShockingAlberto said in the Nintengaf chat that the original plan was to demo Aliens: Colonial Marines, but SEGA pulled out really late because they weren't comfortable with how the game was looking yet. (He also mentioned an EAD Tokyo reveal was planned, but pulled a month ago because of how early it was, too—"calling it an Alpha build would have been generous.")

EDIT:
Something we need to realize here is that the reason all these conferences sucked is because NOBODY has any games ready. Remember how AWESOME Holiday 2011 was for game releases? Bioware, Rocksteady, Bethesda and like 5+ other major AAA studios blew their load on huge titles that have all been released within the last 12 months. No one has anything new done baking to show yet. That's all there is to it. Nintendo COULD have shown off some footage, but it's all so prototypical still that it might have done more harm than good.

I hated how the Nintendo press conference played out. A lot. But knowing the reasoning behind it has helped me deal with the pain....

Adversely though there has only been two major(sales wise) Nintendo developed games anounced since then(LM2 and NSMB2) and Nintendo is struggling thinking of a way to keep momentum in the west. Once we came close to launch and Nintendo spilled the abysmal launch lineup as well as the price the Backlash was ten fold. It maybe looked for a nice E3 but it definetly didn't help them in the long run.

Also adding on. This same issue hit the Wii as well with an amazing E3 2006 reveal of the system and everything followed by several miserable years after SSBB released.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll be interesting to see what Investors think about this all. Nintendo has a huge stock pile reserve of cash, but at the same time their stock price has been on a steady downward trend. I'm not in the know on how Japanese business culture works, but I do wonder if there is any negative forces out there creeping towards Iwata.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Nintendo don't announce games a year + in advance anymore, so there's that hope at least...

Kid Icarus, Zelda, Xenoblade and Smash Bros are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. Sorry, I'm so pessimistic. We know Retro is working on something that might be out next year, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot expecially between the launch and next E3.

And no 3ds zelda announcement. Its like Nintendo has forgotten how to create hype at all. I know there's the 3ds showcase later and I hope they have some surprises there. The little bit of 3ds at the conference was pretty poor.
I was interested in all three games and am still considering purchasing them but I agree. After, two Mario games revealled the new guy started to say "But enough about Mario it seems a bit unfair........" I was hoping he wasn't going to say LM2 but he did. I liked the original and have no qualms with this title but I wanted something new or at least something different other than 2 Mario games and a Luigi game.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
ACIII would've made more sense to show instead of Batman. Now there's the perception that the Wii U is receiving old ports.

watershed

Banned
I was interested in all three games and am still considering purchasing them but I agree. After, two Mario games revealled the new guy started to say "But enough about Mario it seems a bit unfair........" I was hoping he wasn't going to say LM2 but he did. I liked the original and have no qualms with this title but I wanted something new or at least something different other than 2 Mario games and a Luigi game.

The whole conference lacked any sense of "newness". It was all so ho-hum. Some people might be right in saying that Nintendo is holding back on big Wii U announcements to counter PS4/Nextbox next year but the 3ds should be firing on all cylinders. After the poor conference though I'm not excited for the 3ds conference later.

I think I understand what they were trying to do. NSMBU, SiNG, Wii Fit U(ltra), and Nintendo Land all have large-huge sales potential. At the same time, not showing off Wario or P-100 seems an odd choice, given the focus on Batman. Maybe there was a deal for exclusive features in exchange for stage presence? (#wishfulthinking)

At the same time, this is just launch window games - and there's something like 9 first party produced or published titles them. Pikmin 1 and 2 both sold 1M+ on the Gamecube, I'd like to think they can do it on the U. That it appears to not be launch gives me hope there's still some polishing to be done, but it's roots as a Wii game will hold it back from being astounding, even if it is beautiful, in my opinion, already.

Zombi U is getting, it seems, some mad-crazy positive feedback. So does Scribblenauts and Rayman Legends.

I think it's odd people complain about ports. I mean, some are late, don't look any better or have 'tacked-on' usage of GamePad features, but it's still a better line-up than the Wii's sizzle reel at e3 2006, even taking that into account.

What surprised me most, and is probably the largest factor for frustration for people is that there were no HARDCORE 1st party titles shown (3D Mario, Zelda, etc), but I understand after some sleep that Nintendo was solely focused on launch and launch window games and I can forgive them. Maybe, to avoid a situation like the 3DS was in, where some games revealed at the initial 2012 conference still haven't been released, and most only made it out in the past 6 months.

The presentation showed some baffling choices toward the end, despite, I felt, starting off strongly. It just lacked a megaton and a 1st Party launch-Christmas 2013 sizzle reel with GRAFFIX and Iwata. I will never understand why he wasn't on-stage. Never.

AniHawk

the thing that kinda surprises me is that all of the main ead guys are seemingly wrapped up in rushing stuff out. nintendo land is probably the wii sports/resort guys. wii fit u is obviously the wii fit guys. game & wario isn't ead and most likely sakamoto's team. sing is not-nintendo.

pikmin 3 and nsmbu are probably the same team.

the 3ds launch seemed really rushed, and i assumed it was because most of nintendo's big studios were focusing hard on wii u. now i can't even tell why. it's the same level of effort that they put forth with the 3ds initially (except less remakes).

PKrockin

It almost seemed like after a financial loss Nintendo was saying "don't worry, we're opening up these new money printing factories."

I think I understand what they were trying to do. NSMBU, SiNG, Wii Fit U(ltra), and Nintendo Land all have large-huge sales potential. At the same time, not showing off Wario or P-100 seems an odd choice, given the focus on Batman. Maybe there was a deal for exclusive features in exchange for stage presence? (#wishfulthinking)

At the same time, this is just launch window games - and there's something like 9 first party produced or published titles them. Pikmin 1 and 2 both sold 1M+ on the Gamecube, I'd like to think they can do it on the U. That it appears to not be launch gives me hope there's still some polishing to be done, but it's roots as a Wii game will hold it back from being astounding, even if it is beautiful, in my opinion, already.

Zombi U is getting, it seems, some mad-crazy positive feedback. So does Scribblenauts and Rayman Legends.

I think it's odd people complain about ports. I mean, some are late, don't look any better or have 'tacked-on' usage of GamePad features, but it's still a better line-up than the Wii's sizzle reel at e3 2006, even taking that into account.

What surprised me most, and is probably the largest factor for frustration for people is that there were no HARDCORE 1st party titles shown (3D Mario, Zelda, etc), but I understand after some sleep that Nintendo was solely focused on launch and launch window games and I can forgive them. Maybe, to avoid a situation like the 3DS was in, where some games revealed at the initial 2012 conference still haven't been released, and most only made it out in the past 6 months.

The presentation showed some baffling choices toward the end, despite, I felt, starting off strongly. It just lacked a megaton and a 1st Party launch-Christmas 2013 sizzle reel with GRAFFIX and Iwata. I will never understand why he wasn't on-stage. Never.
Sums up my thoughts for the most part. Although I disagree smg, mp3 and tp were still major megatons and the hype was insane for zelda. Also, pikmin 3 was labeled as launch window. No title said launch day. The only labels were launch window, holiday and tba. So id argue pikmin 3 will be launch or close to it. Nintendo has yet to officially commit any title as a day 1 title granted I think nintendoland is fairly obvious at this point.

Tookay

the thing that kinda surprises me is that all of the main ead guys are seemingly wrapped up in rushing stuff out. nintendo land is probably the wii sports/resort guys. wii fit u is obviously the wii fit guys. game & wario isn't ead and most likely sakamoto's team. sing is not-nintendo.

the 3ds launch seemed really rushed, and i assumed it was because most of nintendo's big studios were focusing hard on wii u. now i can't even tell why. it's the same level of effort that they put forth with the 3ds initially (except less remakes).

Exactly. It seemed easy to justify the 3DS's poor release with the idea that Nintendo was knee-deep in next-gen

BUT

then today happened.

lednerg

The main problem is that they only showed games that are for the "launch window", according to Reggie. That was a complete and utter failure on their part. The whole point of a launch E3 is to hype people for the future of the console, not to be all timid about it. Hell just a 5 second video of the Retro game's lead character would have done wonders. That's how they introduced Prime, after all.

In the end, this show was all about the investors. Titles like NintendoLand and Wii Fit U speak much louder to them than what would interest the graphics whores among us. The so-called 'hardcore gamers' took a back seat.

watershed

Banned
When I step back and take a look at it the launch line up isn't actually bad if those games are as good as they should be (particularly mario).

But despite all these Wii U focused events there's still a lot unknown about the system, especially built in features, the UI, and eshop stuff. System features are important to me so I hope Nintendo will show that stuff soon.

The main problem is that they only showed games that are for the "launch window", according to Reggie. That was a complete and utter failure on their part. The whole point of a launch E3 is to hype people for the future of the console, not to be all timid about it. Hell just a 5 second video of the Retro game's lead character would have done wonders. That's how they introduced Prime, after all.

In the end, this show was all about the investors. Titles like NintendoLand and Wii Fit U speak much louder to them than what would interest the graphics whores among us. The so-called 'hardcore gamers' took a back seat.

Also, they need at least one first-party AAA title at launch, if not two. I thought they said they learned from that mistake when they left it up to third-parties on the 3DS. I guess the lesson they learned was something else...

A key difference being all the shown wii u titles are 2012 titles meanwhile all the shown 3ds titles weren't. Some of the 3ds titles 2 years after being anounced haven't released yet and based on info given animal crossing may be a 2013 title as ridiculous as it sounds. Also, a lot of 3ds initial stuff was ousourced.

It almost seemed like after a financial loss Nintendo was saying "don't worry, we're opening up these new money printing factories."
Yeah they seemed to look at all the major sellers on ds and psp and started churning away ignoring some of the smaller, more charming titles that nintendo handhelds(gba and ds in particular) have previously been known for(rpgs, 2d platformers, puzzles and even pokemon).

Indeed, it is odd. Saving stuff for 2013 to counter 360/PS4? Struggling with HD development? Getting stoned in the back room?

Sums up my thoughts for the most part. Although I disagree smg, mp3 and tp were still major megatons and the hype was insane for zelda. Also, pikmin 3 was labeled as launch window. No title said launch day. The only labels were launch window, holiday and tba. So id argue pikmin 3 will be launch or close to it. Nintendo has yet to officially commit any title as a day 1 title granted I think nintendoland is fairly obvious at this point.

Sorry, I meant 3rd party games in the e3 sizzle reel. Should have been more clear.

And indeed, you are correct. It was 4Am here when I looked at that release image, forgive me, haha! Now I need to rethink everything.

Nintendo have this unwritten rule where they can only show games coming out in the near future.

I think we can all agree that those big games we want - 3D Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros., Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc - are coming and probably in development. Maybe they're even ready to show off. So if we know they're coming, why do we need to see them? We can't really chastise Nintendo for being lazy, because we know these games are actually being made. They just didn't want to show them because they're not launch games, and they're not launch games because Nintendo doesn't want to overload its lineup. Which makes sense, especially considering NSMBU is a system-seller and Pikmin 3 is going to be pretty popular as well.

I think it's because we all really want to see these classic franchises in HD. We want to see how good they look and get excited about the system. Pikmin was the only one that fit this bill, as NSMBU (though I think it looked good) isn't exactly a stunner and was never going to be.

We don't need to see them, but we want to. And that's where I think Nintendo got it wrong.

lednerg

I would say that they may be waiting for the price/launch date unveiling to drop another big 1st party title on us, but I'm not going to.

Linkhero1

Also, they need at least one first-party AAA title at launch, if not two. I thought they said they learned from that mistake when they left it up to third-parties on the 3DS. I guess the lesson they learned was something else...

They learned to release a Mario title at launch. Other than that, it doesn't seem they've learned much. I only hope for Japanese titles to be announced soon.

Somnid

If they can deliver their big 4 this year then they're money. There's something for everyone in that lineup and unfathomable sales potential.

One thing I do wonder is if Wii Fit U, Nintendoland and NSMBU support patching and DLC. These 3 are titles that could be crazy drawn out evergreens if they play that right. They don't need sequels but they might need some post launch extra polish.

All they need to think about is launch. Especially if they are doing Nintendo Directs every 3 months they don't need to show CG trailers of early games. There's always opportunity to show off new things as they reach maturity.

Aguila

#ICONIC

Just like at E3 2008.

Nintendo, what have you become? :'(

Rafaelcsa

I was finding the conference to be okay up until they got to the Nintendo Land part. Nothing against the game itself, which I think should be fun. But the presentation of it on the conference was terrible. They should have just demoed the mini-games. God, you don't need a 10 minutes explanation of how the ghost game works... Anyone watching it could understand the idea immediatly. Also, so much time spent showing the level selector... One of the better looking minigames (DK's one) was relegated only to the website... Really bad planning all around.

They started off so well... Pikmin 3 part was well thought out. Reggies jokes throughout were fun. NSMBU looked really good. Lego City as well. Tank Tank Tank looks fun. Wii Fit U was fine. Ubisoft part as well. Before Nintendo Land, the only iffy part was Batman's demonstration. The WiiU integration was really pointless for the game, I expected something much better. Still, despite that I was still positive. Even the casual Just Dance and Sing parts were passable, because I figured there would eventually come a couple of teasers for big hitter first-party games. But there was only Nintendo Land and it was badly presented on top of that. Blah. This really took off some steam from my excitiment about the Wii U. I'll still consider it, but I'm not salivating for it anymore. :-/

Platinum game looks good, that's a plus. On the other hand, I'm a huge WarioWare fan, but Game & Wario looks disappointing. :-/

Also, guys, wasn't there supposed to be a Kirby collection for Wii? I figured Nintendo would just drop it on their website so that no one would notice it, but they haven't done even that. What the hell?

bomma_man

I think they've carried over their "won't show until it's six months away" policy. I think it was a mistake not to show games from past launch. They needed to get people excited about the future possibilities of the console. People aren't going to buy something based on launch games, unless you have an amazing standout like Wii Sports or Mario 64.

I kept getting creeped out by the reflections of people walking by behind the player. Unfortunately, that wasn't part of the game.

Feels a bit Resident Evil but without the bad movie kitsch. The player there has the shittiest aim ever. The hell, can't this person point at heads?

edit: I am getting a nostalgia kick out of keycards and medkits. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom