• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 2012 Conference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't fucking get the point of having game & wario AND nintendoland. it's pretty much the same shit.
Same reason why Nintendo had Wii Sports, Wii Play, Mario Party, and Wario Ware all released in less than a years time frame.

I don't know the reason or see the logic.

Sounds like a bunch of hit and miss. I'm glad that some of the games are hitting a home run :)

I'm pretty confident Chase Mii and Battle Mii will show up, both of which were extremely popular last year.

Chase Mii has a Mii cosplaying as Mario chasing four Toad Miis. Battle Mii has Miis in varia suits. Both fit the visual and gameplay themes of Nintendo Land. I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned as part of the game yet.

I'm pretty confident Chase Mii and Battle Mii will show up, both of which were extremely popular last year.

Chase Mii has a Mii cosplaying as Mario chasing four Toad Miis. Battle Mii has Miis in varia suits. Both fit the visual and gameplay themes of Nintendo Land. I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned as part of the game yet.
I'm sure Battle Mii is Metroid's theme park. Chase Mii seemed like one of the more exciting of the bunch so I wonder which theme park that got relegated to. I haven't really been paying attention to the different themes other than Luigi's Mansion equals Pacman Vs.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I place more stock in 4chan rumors.

According to one of our respected posters, Retro's game and EAD Tokyo's game was pulled at the last minute, and Aliens was replaced by Batman.

I'm sure Battle Mii is Metroid's theme park. Chase Mii seemed like one of the more exciting of the bunch so I wonder which theme park that got relegated to. I haven't really been paying attention to the different themes other than Luigi's Mansion equals Pacman Vs.

Chase Mii will be Mario's game. It has one Mario Mii and 4 Toads.

Lyude77

I think they (maybe) evolved. Battle Mii is probably the Metroid mini-game, and Chase Mii probably evolved into the Luigi's Mansion mini-game. It's just my (and some others') guess though.

Edit: Lord_Byron28 said it better.

According to one of our respected posters, Retro's game and EAD Tokyo's game was pulled at the last minute, and Aliens was replaced by Batman.

As long as Nintendo does the right things, I personally don't care about what they talk about (I seem to be the only one, haha). Hopefully those games do right and are great.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
at this rate, i think rayman legends will probably be the best launch game.

xRNHv.png

The NSMBU stuff sounds classic. Definitely going to be some memory making moments due to that.

See original quote.

Davey Cakes

I really wish they would have gone and replaced Batman with...anything. Maybe P-100 or Game and Wario.

Honestly, I couldn't believe I was watching Batman footage, regardless of the added features. That is very far from what I wanted to see during the conference.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The sooner Nintendo realizes Nintendoland won't come anywhere close to being the draw that Wii Sports was, the better off the Wii U will be.

I can't believe they think it's going to be as popular.

Linkhero1

I wonder why they pulled them. I expected both of these to show up. I had a feeling Alien wasn't going to be demoed.

I am a nerd scorned, see the fire I breath and be afraid.

Haha. I was thinking earlier today that you shouldn't take your anger with Nintendo out on me. I was seriously shocked they didn't tease anything they've been working on (e.g. Retro's game).

If Aliens: CM is the best version, why not show why it's the best? No Darksiders 2 demo showing the features of the controller? Project CARS? Dragon Quest X? But that's why even with a bad press conference I'm still getting a Wii U. And IMO ;) once the bad taste of the press conference gets out of peoples mouths, they'll come back around.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I feel like such an idiot for getting my hopes up. I wasn't expecting the graphics to be any better than PS3/360 and I wasn't expecting great third party support. I was thinking Nintendo would have more to show though. As slim as the 3DS releases have been I expect Wii U to be even worse now. They showed nothing beyond the launch window which is not a good indication. That means there will be very few games between now and holiday 2013. I just don't see how they can recover from this at this point unless casuals somehow magically flock to it. I really fear this may be Nintendo's last console.

effzee

I don't know whether I will buy the system this year or not, its rather early to decide and right now the conference has just left a terrible taste in my mouth.

One of the things I don't get, or will never get, is why EA Sports was missing.

I mean this year only WiiU could have had the best looking FIFA or Madden out of the three systems (only if the rumors about it being 1.5 to 2 times more are true). Because starting next year with the new PS4 and 720, EA might as well not even bother releasing sports games on the WiiU. Who is going to buy the weakest looking one when I 100% guarantee that PS4 and 720 will have some sort of tablet control in addition to a big leap in horse power.

Terrible terrible decision by whoever made it. In this case I blame Nintendo because I refuse to believe EA, who puts every game on every console (esp the sports lineup) would go out of its way to not include the WiiU.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Haha. I was thinking earlier today that you shouldn't take your anger with Nintendo out on me. I was seriously shocked they didn't tease anything they've been working on (e.g. Retro's game).

If Aliens: CM is the best version, why not show why it's the best? No Darksiders 2 demo showing the features of the controller? Project CARS? Dragon Quest X? But that's why even with a bad press conference I'm still getting a Wii U. And IMO ;) once the bad taste of the press conference gets out of peoples mouths, they'll come back around.

The thing is, DQX and Retro's game could have been there, and I still would have thought it was weaker than 2006. Significantly better than what they did and easily better than the others' conferences, but not as good as 2006.

watershed

Banned
Having slept now and processed Nintendo's conference I'm still shocked by how poorly managed the whole thing was. The pacing was terrible, they spent way too much time explaining NintendoLand instead of just demoing a few minigames live.

And for all their talk of games there weren't really that many games shown. It didn't feel like the start of a new generation at all. There was no promise to the wii u. The 3ds reveal was miles better. That felt like a full software blowout.

Linkhero1

The thing is, DQX and Retro's game could have been there, and I still would have thought it was weaker than 2006. Significantly better than what they did and easily better than the others' conferences, but not as good as 2006.

I agree. The presentation was pretty terrible overall, not just in terms of content shown. I wonder where Iwata was.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions

This surprised me too. There wasn't one racer or FPS shown. This was about the worst I imagined it could have been.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really wish they would have gone and replaced Batman with...anything. Maybe P-100 or Game and Wario.

Honestly, I couldn't believe I was watching Batman footage, regardless of the added features. That is very far from what I wanted to see during the conference.

Dedicating stage time to Batman was the pinnacle of stupid. Nobody was listening, and nobody cared.

Davey Cakes

The sooner Nintendo realizes Nintendoland won't come anywhere close to being the draw that Wii Sports was, the better off the Wii U will be.

The thing about NintendoLand is that it's basically a bridge game, between casuals and hardcore Nintendo fans.

The company already captured the casual Wii Sports-loving casual audience, and they already provided "bridge" experiences to take these players a step further. For example, Mario Kart Wii, which sold like gangbusters. I think of Nintendo's push of NintendoLand to be merely similar to their push of Mario Kart.

With WiiU I don't feel like Nintendo's actually going after new gamers in the way they did with Wii. The audience is already there (for the most part) and can be re-invigorated by compelling bridge titles. NintendoLand fits the bill.

Lyude77

I feel like such an idiot for getting my hopes up. I wasn't expecting the graphics to be any better than PS3/360 and I wasn't expecting great third party support. I was thinking Nintendo would have more to show though. As slim as the 3DS releases have been I expect Wii U to be even worse now. They showed nothing beyond the launch window which is not a good indication. That means there will be very few games between now and holiday 2013. I just don't see how they can recover from this at this point unless casuals somehow magically flock to it. I really fear this may be Nintendo's last console.

I think you're reading a little too much into what was not shown. You overestimate Nintendo's knowledge of how fans will react to their press conferences. Nintendo probably thinks that fans only care about the games that are coming soon. I mean, it probably won't be as heavy as launch, but it's not like it's going to be the Wii's last two years.

Also, Nintendo still has money. Worst case sales scenario is a GCN, in my opinion, and Nintendo has grown as a brand since then.

I think it could've been amazing had it been better incorporated into the system and Miiverse. Of course if they don't pack it in it won't hit that potential.

Well 2006 was just a rare moment where we were showered in games and then it scorned us for 2 years.

Dedicating stage time to Batman was the pinnacle of stupid. Nobody was listening, and nobody cared.
Seriously. Another AC3 demo would've even been more interesting. At least a new game and not a port of a year old game.

Tookay

Having slept now and processed Nintendo's conference I'm still shocked by how poorly managed the whole thing was. The pacing was terrible, they spent way too much time explaining NintendoLand instead of just demoing a few minigames live.

The funny thing is that they spent an awful lot of video time focusing on the hub of the game, which is nothing more than a glorified level select. There were a lot of ways to show off Nintendo Land. Namely, show a bunch of the various mingames.

They focused on one or two.

Truly baffling.

qq more

...I swear to god you people are so overly dramatic sometimes.

The 2nd half of the conference disappointed me as much as the next person but... last console really?

And for all their talk of games there weren't really that many games shown. It didn't feel like the start of a new generation at all. There was no promise to the wii u. The 3ds reveal was miles better. That felt like a full software blowout.

The 3DS blowout had stuff that isn't even out yet, which stands in sharp contrast with the Wii U disaster we witnessed today that only focused on early games. If you compare the reactions to the 3DS and Wii U after their respective coming-out parties, it's pretty obvious that the tight focus on this year was a huge mistake on Nintendo's part.

Don't know guys but as I already said in others threads there're Wii U dedicated videos on the Nintendo youtube channel for Assassins Creed III, Darksider II and Alien Colonial Marines. So why not even fully show these teasers/trailers at the conference?

Heck, Assassin's Creed III is playable at E3 on Wii-U.

BlueMagic

So, do we know how some of the multiplatform (playable at E3) compare graphically to the versions of the other consoles?
Or at least if games like ZombiU are 60 fps?

They also mentioned they were working on Pikmin 3 for the first time.

I remember, though, that Miyamoto only mentioned it because journalists kept a general "really? That's it for E3? You have nothing? NOTHING?" air about them. And he really only said "well, we're making Pikmin...", it wasn't a full on announcement.

Mind you this was at E3 '08, the journalists weren't exactly in the wrong there. :p

So, do we know how some of the multiplatform (playable at E3) compare graphically to the versions of the other consoles?

Someone who was at the floor said in a topic somewhere (I forget) that Assassin's Creed III performed better in some areas and worse in others. He mentioned water looked better, and also was informed by the rep there that it was pretty much a straight port.

At the very least, it's on par with the PS3/360.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The thing about NintendoLand is that it's basically a bridge game, between casuals and hardcore Nintendo fans.

It's a mini-game collection. It's not a bridge title at all.

AniHawk

This is amazing. I never thought of this. All those years in SMB3 my friends and I played against each other in versus. In NSMBWii, the funnest part was sabotaging each other's attempts at jumps at the right time. The Gamepad officially adds in a way to fuck with your friends while you play, giving a true versus mode. As your friend plays, you are the asshole that puts random blocks everywhere to try and stop him.

If Nintendo had its shit together, NSMBWiiU would have a separate mode where you try and sabotage people, with online playability, and you get a ranking based on how well you do at trying to sabotage people. The person you play against also has a ranking based on how well he/she is at surviving sabotage. So, each player has 2 ratings, one for the saboteur role, and one for being Mario. Your rating goes up or down based on how difficult your opponent was compared to your current score (like chess), and you can thus seek out the best saboteurs to test your luck against their skill.

Then, the game should have the ability to upload video recordings for others to watch so everyone can see the epic saboteur vs. Mario battles unfold.

yeah it was definitely the funniest thing that happened today.

[]http://i.imgur.com/xRNHv.png[/img]

The NSMBU stuff sounds classic. Definitely going to be some memory making moments due to that.

See original quote.

i really liked rayman origins, but it was lacking a small something for me. while the music part of legends was definitely easier than the treasure chest chase levels in origins (because it told you where to jump), the syncing with the music made it pretty fucking awesome. if it's wii u exclusive, then i have a bigger reason to get one, but i hope it comes to other consoles too so other people who refuse getting one get a chance to play it.

Anihawk, are the triggers analog? I must know this.

no.

Especially how much time they wasted on it.

Reggie: Here's the game's developer to tell you all about it!
Developer: Here's some other guy to tell you all about it
Other guy: thanks for the props, I'm out!

I was trying to watch as much of the conference as I could before my plane made us turn off electronic devices, and they just kept wasting so much time. Like repeating things that were said in the Sunday show, after telling us there was a Sunday show, and you could watch it on their "All Access Website!"

So if this is true I'm going to be pissed...

As I was walking around the Nintendo booth, I noticed that some Wii U consoles were white and others were black. We had been introduced to the white one already, so I was curious to know if the black console was official ... or just on display for the press conference.

According to a Nintendo representative, the Wii U will launch in white, with black coming ... someday.

There is still a chance it could launch in white and black, but it sounds like black is coming a little later. Expected, but exciting news, as the black Wii U looks sexy!

Why would they so prominently display it in black this late if they don't intend to launch it in that color? I just hope the rep was wrong.

So if this is true I'm going to be pissed...

Why would they so prominently display it in black this late if they don't intend to launch it in that color? I just hope the rep was wrong.

I would never put stock in what a Nintendo rep said regarding details such as this. That quote also sounds fishy.

I agree. The presentation was pretty terrible overall, not just in terms of content shown. I wonder where Iwata was.

If Nintendo had structured the conference better and used some different stuff that was also announced but not at the actual conference, then I think the reactions would be much better. Not OMG AWESOME, but not i want to die either.

Keep the Pikmin 3 beginning because it was charming and fun, take out Batman and show Darksiders II or Assassin's Creed III instead, take out the awkward banter with weird foreigners, shorten all of the casual segments, put a gag in Eguchi's mouth, end with Inaba or Kamiya on stage showing off P-100. Throw in those mythical EAD and Retro trailers if they actually exist.

Boom. Turn that D- into a C+.

Linkhero1

If Nintendo had structured the conference better and used some different stuff that was also announced but not at the actual conference, then I think the reactions would be much better. Not OMG AWESOME, but not i want to die either.

Keep the Pikmin 3 beginning because it was charming and fun, take out Batman and show Darksiders II or Assassin's Creed III instead, take out the awkward banter with weird foreigners, shorten all of the casual segments, put a gag in Eguchi's mouth, end with Inaba or Kamiya on stage showing off P-100. Throw in those mythical EAD and Retro trailers if they actually exist.

I definitely agree. They shouldn't have made Nintendoland talk as long as it was too.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I think you're reading a little too much into what was not shown. You overestimate Nintendo's knowledge of how fans will react to their press conferences. Nintendo probably thinks that fans only care about the games that are coming soon. I mean, it probably won't be as heavy as launch, but it's not like it's going to be the Wii's last two years.

Also, Nintendo still has money. Worst case sales scenario is a GCN, in my opinion, and Nintendo has grown as a brand since then.

It takes time to make games. Smash Bros or Retro's game might be ready by next fall. Nintendo seems to be turning around Mario titles really quickly which is why they announced one for 3DS when they went into panic mode. A Mario Kart game might be possible too, but I just don't see any other heavy hitters coming out in the next year. They would have shown something. A last years E3, other devs teased Tomb Raider, Darksiders 2, The Last of Us, etc. None of them will be out this year. There's a reason so many devs shut down this gen. Games now take a lot more time and money. Games like Zelda or Xenoblade have a very slim chance of coming out next year.

Davey Cakes

It's a mini-game collection. It's not a bridge title at all.
Well, I said a bridge between casuals and hardcore Nintendo fans. From what I can tell, the game is full of fan service. I see the bridge there.

Also, from what I can tell the mini-games are more compelling than those you find in many mini-game collections.

I think it's close enough.

If they had thrown in those Mythical EAD/Retro trailers it would've been an A.

Currently this conference is at F for me. Despite enjoying some titles in the selection the execution of the conference was terrible.

It takes time to make games. Smash Bros or Retro's game might be ready by next fall. Nintendo seems to be turning around Mario titles really quickly which is why they announced one for 3DS when they went into panic mode. A Mario Kart game might be possible too, but I just don't see any other heavy hitters coming out in the next year. They would have shown something. A last years E3, other devs teased Tomb Raider, Darksiders 2, The Last of Us, etc. None of them will be out this year. There's a reason so many devs shut down this gen. Games now take a lot more time and money. Games like Zelda or Xenoblade have a very slim chance of coming out next year.
Super Mario 3D Land was anounced before the 3DS even launched. They didn't just hit the panic button and bump these games up when they were planned for the end of the year prior to launch.

JazzmanZ

...I swear to god you people are so overly dramatic sometimes.

The 2nd half of the conference disappointed me as much as the next person but... last console really?

are you kidding me!? Nintendo is going 3rd party now! they'll develop games for the IOS!

watershed

Banned
The 3DS blowout had stuff that isn't even out yet, which stands in sharp contrast with the Wii U disaster we witnessed today that only focused on early games. If you compare the reactions to the 3DS and Wii U after their respective coming-out parties, it's pretty obvious that the tight focus on this year was a huge mistake on Nintendo's part.

Yeah, I'd be happier if Nintendo showed some Wii U games that are outside of the launch window. That and no megatons, 1st and 3rd party were glaring issues for me. A new console presentation should sell the promise of the future. Show me now why this console is going to be awesome for years to come.

Diablos54

Nintendo don't announce games a year + in advance anymore, so there's that hope at least...

01DragonFly

probably are the metroid and mario levels of nintendoland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom