• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 analyst QA Session

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Can someone explain the last part?
Isn't it self explanatory? They don't want to give ideas to Sony and MS about how they will use the GamePad in their 2013 AAA games. Disappoints fans, but allows them to keep a competitive advantage secret for a longer period of time. I'm pretty sure Microsoft and Sony are now seriously wondering how they could integrate a GamePad of some sort in their next gen equation. I'm not talking about SmartGlass, which is far too limited, or Vita/PS3 connectivity, which will never be mass market. And I'm sure Nintendo thinks alike.

Thx.
Would be one explanation why they only show launch (window) games.

Wasn't sure, because who is going to copy Metroid or Zelda if they're are around for many years? (Ok, on the other hand, they have a new concept for other game ideas)

uh... darksider is the only zelda clone i can think of.

It does seem halo 4 has some metroid prime ideas with how some enemies are more... puzzle like.

From his statement it does seem to relate to something that isn't part of the nintendo royal family of titles.

i'm guessing something casual. probably entertainment/media based to fight with MS. I recall netflix being super popular on wii right?

I'm not fond of the approaches they've taken so far with their handhelds and consoles. The 3DS literally saps away FPS with 3D(which most people don't care for in movies or games) turned on and the Gamepad is a huge resolution hog that raises the cost of the system and takes away the possibilities of stronger hardware.

People could say what they wanted about the Wii-mote or the DS touch system, but those two control styles never took away so much potential power from the systems. They could have built a technological beast with a souped up Wii-mote and Pro gamepad like the one now. I would have preferred that.
The answer to the question about power is pretty scary. pushing the fact AC3 looks identical to PS360 as a plus? Or even worse as "you cant see much difference".
Read the whole statement instead of making stuff up.

I'm pissed at Nintendo too, but I'd rather be angry for legitimate reasons.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft and Sony are now seriously wondering how they could integrate a GamePad of some sort in their next gen equation.
Presumably, you mean a touchscreen controller, since I doubt either MS or Sony would ship without a gamepad...

Last I recall MS were focussed on integrating Kinect 2.0. I don't see why either would be contemplating incorporating an unproven idea into their next generation plans this far along into development. Perhaps if it takes off, sure.

beril

I imagine that's what Project P-100 was/is. And I imagine SiNG

And I'm sure we'll see more of it. Its a way to gain support. And I guess exclusives.

It's not really a new thing for them to publish some third party games or work with external developers though. They may be increasing their focus on third party relations, and every console manufacturer will be more inclined to greenlight a pitch that somehow demonstrates the hardware in a unique way, but it's really nothing unprecedented for them.

The answer to the question about power is pretty scary. pushing the fact AC3 looks identical to PS360 as a plus? Or even worse as "you cant see much difference".
Have we seen the final retail version of both games yet, and do we know what effort devs will put in to these ports?

the Wii U is a new platform that has slightly different architecture and, since development teams have only just begun development on software for it, they are only at the halfway point to utilizing its full potential

So eventually it will be something like (what we've seen at e3 '12)*2 :p

Good enough for me!!

Despite this fact, however, if you look at the game “Assassin’s Creed III,” which was recently announced or shown, you can’t see much difference when you compare it with games for other companies’ systems.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So eventually it will be something like (what we've seen at e3 '12)*2 :p

Good enough for me!!

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

He's spinning it as a good thing, since the WiiU version of the game (which is pretty unoptimized due to the hardware being new) looks about the same as the older systems which have been heavily optimized for.

So basically, once developers start to leverage the WiiU's power, it will be capable of a lot more that what you're seeing with early ports like that.

marc^o^

Presumably, you mean a touchscreen controller, since I doubt either MS or Sony would ship without a gamepad...

Last I recall MS were focussed on integrating Kinect 2.0. I don't see why either would be contemplating incorporating an unproven idea into their next generation plans this far along into development. Perhaps if it takes off, sure.
I don't know about Kinect 2.0. Would that mean they would need to tell their customers to get rid of the Kinect they bought? Technology could certainly be vastly improved, though it would remain more limited than what a tablet and assymetric gameplay can offer. They would miss a great opportunity to build an acosystem around a mobile device that would have far more chances than Windows Phones to build a loyal userbase. If I were MS CEO, that would not be my call. There are rumors about MS and a tablet for their next gen console, I think that would be a smarter move.

I don't know
I think e3 was a wash
But maybe they had a different strategy in mind for prolonged momentum building?

The prior e3 was a wash, the 3DS pre-launch was a wash, the last years of the Wii were a wash. After each time Iwata said something about learning from the lacklustre response but the only time he seems to have reacted was late last year for the 3DS, which was amazing, and now we're back to him learning again.

There could be a longer term plan, but it certainly isn't evident. Either way, first impressions matter greatly and Nintendo was lucky to get a second first impression in the first place. I hope that at least Iwata remembers this time.

M3d10n

Oh even I am starting to think Wii U is def more powerful than Ps360 (1.5X GPU?)

I'm just saying his answer was kind of twofold, one, basically an excuse that "hey we're not going to have as much power as the other guys cause the tablet is expensive" (a fact I've been touting all along, but still new to see an admission)

And then the 2nd thing about AC3.

It would be better if he said "we feel our console is very much an upgrade on the competition, and you will start to see that as developers begin to master it" or something like that.

But he did:
While existing platforms have engines that development teams have tuned and optimized for six to seven years after their respective launches, the Wii U is a new platform that has slightly different architecture and, since development teams have only just begun development on software for it, they are only at the halfway point to utilizing its full potential.

The bit about AC3 was that, "despise this fact", developers are already able to get results which took years to optimize in other consoles. You really need to get that reading comprehension looked at.

He's spinning it as a good thing, since the WiiU version of the game (which is pretty unoptimized due to the hardware being new) looks about the same as the older systems which have been heavily optimized for.

So basically, once developers start to leverage the WiiU's power, it will be capable of a lot more that what you're seeing with early ports like that.
It's not only that. Pretty much all third party Wii U ports thus far were designed to match the 360 and PS3 versions almost exactly. People can be pissed about the power of the system(I know I am), but I think it says a lot that third parties can get a game like Assasin's Creed 3 ported so well to the Wii U. We've basically bypassed all the awkward growing pains of the last seven years and hit the ground running with the Wii U graphically.

My concern is whether or not the Wii U is prepped for the coming Marathon with Sony and MS. I hope the GAF speculation thread rumors are right...

rpmurphy

Considering how many things Anoop has gotten wrong by mistranslating them, I would bet on Nintendo's translators being right in this case.
"私たちはWii U本体にハードドライブを搭載するとは申し上げておりません。"

Anoop is right.

I don't know about Kinect 2.0. Would that mean they would need to tell their customers to get rid of the Kinect they bought? Technology could certainly be vastly improved, though it would remain more limited than what a tablet and assymetric gameplay can offer. They would miss a great opportunity to build an acosystem around a mobile device that would have far more chances than Windows Phones to build a loyal userbase. If I were MS CEO, that would not be my call. There are rumors about MS and a tablet for their next gen console, I think that would be a smarter move.
I don't think anyone would have to get rid of their Kinect anymore than they'd have to throw away all their Wiimotes.

I don't think I'd really consider a handset tethered to a stationary base unit a "mobile platform" upon which to build an ecosystem; certainly not a better one than a phone/tablet OS. :/

massoluk

Banned
So he may as well say Friend Codes have gone the way of the dodo now. Curious to see how they work out Nintendo Network account system across smartphone, 3ds, WiiU

Rösti;38837484 said:
I was wondering when they would upload this. Thanks for the link.

There is also another differentiation point here. While existing platforms have engines that development teams have tuned and optimized for six to seven years after their respective launches, the Wii U is a new platform that has slightly different architecture and, since development teams have only just begun development on software for it, they are only at the halfway point to utilizing its full potential. Despite this fact, however, if you look at the game “Assassin’s Creed III,” which was recently announced or shown, you can’t see much difference when you compare it with games for other companies’ systems. I hope that helps you to understand a little bit better.

This gives more weight to the GPGPU rumor. This would mean that calling Wii U a suped-up 360 is false.

Not done reading but that friends code is definitely reassuring. Sounds like it's just some "internal friends code" and not what we have previously seen. If we can add/remove ppl easily without any interference on the interface, it doesnt really matter how the friends code is being used from a software/hardware standpoint

Yeah I figured that's what he meant, but IMO he didn't need to put it that way. (maybe lost in translation)

It kinda sounds funny "boasting" (not really) that your yet-to-be-released console is capable running a game as well as 7-year old hardware.

It sounds like, trying to run games/software on devices not initially intended-for and saying "Oh look, we finally made it run as well as it runs one the target hardware!" or something.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter at the end.

I guess we pretty much figured that the Upad is main attraction this time and honestly, I have no problem with that.

I like how they assume Smartglass is a response to anything they're doing rather than a response to Apple, the real competition.

drspeedy

While some titles were able to showcase their unique appeals to the audience, people do not yet fully understand the appeal of some of the other titles. Between now and the launch, we’ll continue to work to make sure that people clearly understand the appealing elements of that software.... We are going to ensure that consumers will consider the Wii U price reasonable for what they are able to do with the system and will not expect a price drop very early in its life cycle.

Low latency is great, thank you. Now make use of it instead of just making it an alternate map/inventory/scanner screen. Still not seeing where the gamepad screen (or two screens) is giving more utility/fun than it's detracting from performance and adding to price.

Baconsammy said:
I like how they assume Smartglass is a response to anything they're doing rather than a response to Apple, the real competition.

Pretty much.

kami_sama

This gives more weight to the GPGPU rumor. This would mean that calling Wii U a suped-up 360 is false.
What is a GPGPU?

And for the friend codes, I'm still saying that it will be something like steam, where your account is a random string of numbers but you can name yourself however you want.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
What is a GPGPU?

And for the friend codes, I'm still saying that it will be something like steam, where your account is a random string of numbers but you can name yourself however you want.

A GPGPU is basically a GPU that can also handle tasks usually performed by the CPU.

rpmurphy

How is releasing an application that exists across multiple tablet/smartphone platforms a response to Apple? It doesn't augment MS's Windows Tablet and Phone platforms any more than releasing any other kind of app.

jrDev

I could have sworn I just read the Interviewer asking that question which in turn means it's the Interviewer that was 'assuming' this (like any sane person would). Unless you meant 'they' as in the Interviewer.

And I also said rumor. However, Iwata and friends are always picky about the way they say things.

Iwata and friends wouldn't bother talking about lower-level technical details like the GPGPU architecture anyway since details like that just fly over the heads of both shareholders and customers. What the latter want are DBZ powerlevel analogies.

M3d10n

Nothing to do with GPGPU. The CPU is different (even if it's still IBM), there's a dedicated audio processor which could free significant CPU resources if used correctly, the graphics API is new.

It's also a DX10.1 GPU, which means that some techniques used by some games on the ~DX9.0c parts used by the PS3 and 360 are not using the hardware at 100% efficiency. For example, with DX10 hardware it's easy to simulate particles entirely on the GPU, saving CPU resources.

Humm, this question was probably one of the most telling:

Question: I understand for the Wii, Mr. Miyamoto designed a system with about five or six key titles in mind: “Wii Sports,” “Wii Sports Resort,” “Wii Music” and several others. Has something similar occurred this time? So far, obviously we’ve seen “Pikmin 3,” but is there a similar strategy of a range of titles that he is playing a role in to create that is the plan for the next two or three years for the Wii U?

Iwata:

First, what we’ve shown at the E3 show are both the launch titles that will be released with Wii U hardware this holiday season and the launch window titles that will be released early next year or not long after the hardware launch. We do have ideas of what kind of software we will be releasing after those two periods, and Mr. Miyamoto as well as I are both directly involved in the development process. Those include both our traditional franchises and of course new propositions as well. However, because we are now in the era when similar proposals can be made by the others just one year after we introduced a brand-new hardware system proposal, please understand that we really can’t say much about what else we are planning.

No more 3 year "peeks" LOL

eh, what? it runs on iOS and Android devices too.

---
isn't naive of him to think that just because they don't announce the titles, their ideas can't be stolen by other companies? I am pretty sure with the right amount of money people involved within the projects will be willing to sell them to anyone.

It's also a DX10.1 GPU, which means that some techniques used by some games on the ~DX9.0c parts used by the PS3 and 360 are not using the hardware at 100% efficiency. For example, with DX10 hardware it's easy to simulate particles entirely on the GPU, saving CPU resources.
does this mean that games made for DX11 needs to be lowered to match it?

Massa

Isn't it self explanatory? They don't want to give ideas to Sony and MS about how they will use the GamePad in their 2013 AAA games. Disappoints fans, but allows them to keep a competitive advantage secret for a longer period of time. I'm pretty sure Microsoft and Sony are now seriously wondering how they could integrate a GamePad of some sort in their next gen equation. I'm not talking about SmartGlass, which is far too limited, or Vita/PS3 connectivity, which will never be mass market. And I'm sure Nintendo thinks alike.

It's funny he said that because the LittleBigPlanet 2 Vita/PS3 DLC was the most interesting display of Pad+TV at E3 imo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Another thing: there's also the presentation.
And there's a news, if I'm reading correctly.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120606/02.html

Finally, let’s talk about the games. We’ve got a massive list of AAA content on the way from all of the biggest names in gaming that are all proven franchises, all exclusive to our platform, and all coming to stores both in physical and digital formats in the second half of 2012.

06l.jpg

This should confirm that also third party games will be available through eShop.

Somnid

How is releasing an application that exists across multiple tablet/smartphone platforms a response to Apple? It doesn't augment MS's Windows Tablet and Phone platforms any more than releasing any other kind of app.

Same way Amazon Cloud Player competes with iTunes even though it supports iOS and isn't Kindle exclusive. It gets people using your product, in this case an Xbox and paying Xbox Live fees to access Netflix. If people are comfortable with 360s media functions any iTV is less appealing.

marc^o^

It's funny he said that because the LittleBigPlanet 2 Vita/PS3 DLC was the most interesting display of Pad+TV at E3 imo.
What I said is, can it be mass market? Would they bundle a Vita with their next gen console? Very unlikely, don't you think?

And funnily enough, Nintendo has been this way for the past few years. Announce a game, release it 3-6 months later.

Everybody seemed to forget that.

well with Sony peaking over their shoulders at each corner, who'd blame them ;P

Or maybe they just don't treat the press as idiots. Why waste time teasing the usual nintendo stuff when they aren't ready and/or coming out this year?

who knows.

On the flip side, I really don't have a compelling reason to pick up a Wii U until those games are ready.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Halfway? 1.5 increase in power over current gen confirmed.

50% vs 150% is a lot different in terms of the number they present. Don't see how one could screw up that analogy that basically means at the very minimum Wiiu is double the power of what we have now. That falls in line with what has been revealed or rumored about in the speculation threads.

If the current twins are half of it's power that's 100% to get a WiiU. 1.5x would be suggesting 3 times the power in the case of his analogy.

Far easier to relate WiiU as SM4 where as the twins are SM3 with similar power. Using DX terms is pointless because sony and nintendo don't use something microsoft controls.

Galang

Banned
Humm, this question was probably one of the most telling:

No more 3 year "peeks" LOL

Great point to bold.

I suppose it does make sense considering what happened at E3. I'll just try to be optimistic about their future output. Even I seem to forget they pretty much only announce titles that are nearing completion or in some cases already done. It would have been nice to do a tease similar to the 3DS, as it is a new console... though I suppose I understand. I do wish they were quicker on clarifying if certain titles were coming overseas or not, or even pushed back. I hated how they kept pushing back the Sin & Punishment 2 dates on the release schedule without any warning, that shouldn't happen without explanation.

I know the AAA games they plan will use the gamepad in an innovative way. Nintendo was generally the best at using motion control as well as the ds screen's for each title's potential. I can only imagine they'll be the ones to use the Wii U's potential to it's fullest this time as well.

StevieP

Banned
I don't think anyone would have to get rid of their Kinect anymore than they'd have to throw away all their Wiimotes.

For Microsoft... In the same way that the Wii U Gamepad will be included.... well, yeah.

I think you need to pay more attention to Microsoft at their own conference before making that assumption.

Another thing: there's also the presentation.
And there's a news, if I'm reading correctly.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120606/02.html

Finally, let’s talk about the games. We’ve got a massive list of AAA content on the way from all of the biggest names in gaming that are all proven franchises, all exclusive to our platform, and all coming to stores both in physical and digital formats in the second half of 2012.

06l.jpg

This should confirm that also third party games will be available through eShop.

Yeh, hopefully. A total godsend for people like me who'd otherwise have to deal with customs fees and shipping etc. It's why I love Steam so much and the one thing that I admire most about the Vita.

Top Bottom