• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

Even if the event was 2017 games only, there will obviously still be new announcements. We currently know of what, Mario and Xenoblade 2 after summer? I see no need to stress over a single line lol

The reading comprehension of some people here is terrifying. It seems we go through this every damn year. Nintendo puts more of a focus on games coming in the year E3 takes place but they always talk about new stuff coming in the next year. The next year stuff is just never the focus. It's the opposite of what Sony and Microsoft do where they don't talk about stuff coming sooner but rather later. The exception being last year where it was just the Zelda show and even then they pulled it off and "won" E3 with just a single game focus.

Bruh, we go through this year after year. We go through this Direct after Direct after Direct. The word "focus" should not need to be explained. People know what focus means. It feels like there's a lot of amnesia that goes around when Nintendo announces a Direct or E3 plans.

My money is on Next Level Games for Prime

Hmm. So that would be cool. Tanabe is the MP guy and he did work with them on MPFF. Are they big enough to handle Metroid Prime?

And if they're doing Metroid Prime then that means Retro IS doing fucking Donkey Kong. 😛

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not assuming anything. My first post literally said I hope they are not doing that, which means I am not sure they are. But there have definitely been plenty of shows where Nintendo really did focus almost entirely on games within that year, so it's not like such phrasing isn't cause for me to be concerned.

Don't get me wrong I know there will be surprises, I just hope there is a few surprises that will be from 2018 and that we can get a meaningful glimpse of them. People talk about not reading things in the press releases, but suddenly fail to read phrasing in the posts that capture their eye :p

The last nintendo direct which they said they'll focus on two games barely showed those two games, I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about.

Ah, knew I would come into this thread with most of the posts being people overreacting and drawing conclusions and making assumptions from the wording of the short statements...no new games.... 0% chance of anything but 2017 being shown.... things never change here lol.

Even if the event was 2017 games only, there will obviously still be new announcements. We currently know of what, Mario and Xenoblade 2 after summer? I see no need to stress over a single line lol

And FE Warriors. But yeah there will obviously be new announcements. We basically know Mario x Rabbids will be announced.

Hmm. So that would be cool. Tanabe is the MP guy and he did work with them on MPFF. Are they big enough to handle Metroid Prime?

And if they're doing Metroid Prime then that means Retro IS doing fucking Donkey Kong. 😛

Or StarTropics! 2018 will be the year of StarTropics!

:(

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
So wait, are we even going to have any new game reveals?

God, I miss the way Nintendo did things 2013-2015.

Instro

What are you referring to? Generally we do have to wait until E3 to watch the E3 direct, so in that sense I don't see what this comment refers to.

The cycle of waiting for the next event after the upcoming one due to Nintendo not delivering. As per usual people expected this event to cover stuff for this year and next year if not further, and now that it is only covering 2017, we are seeing posts about waiting for the next direct. It's a common theme with Nintendo.

Hello everyone

here's some shit you already know about

*roll VT about Skyrim, FIFA etc etc*

Here are some new indie games

*roll VT about some cool new indies and old PC favourites*

Here's some new Mario footage

*roll VT for Mario*

BOOM! Pokemon Switch -> VT
BOOM! VC Details -> VT

And that's it...

*sound of glass breaking*

Whaaa....?

music plays...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPT8GBdRCWE

lights drop, darkness, lights come up in red then soften to deep blue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLPY-ODuNmE

Sirens go off, METROID flashes in huge text on and off, on and off on all screens

VT rolls for ten seconds - flashes of 2D metroid, flashes of Prime style metroid, screen goes black, pause then VT starts up again for another ten seconds of all new Multiplayer metroid

mic drop, walk off stage

crowd goes wild

emb

Optimistic expectations:
Great impressions for Mario
Fire Emblem Warriors trailer and release date
Xenoblade 2 release date in 2017 for America

Actual expectations:
Lots of focus on the brand new pay-for-online feature
Zelda DLC stuff
Mario DLC showcase
Emphasis on some content that's locked behind amiibos
Announcement that Metroid and Mother are dead, now and forever

Bruh, we go through this year after year. We go through this Direct after Direct after Direct. The word "focus" should not need to be explained. People know what focus means. It feels like there's a lot of amnesia that goes around when Nintendo announces a Direct or E3 plans.

Retro focused on remaking DKC for modern times. What other popular western-style series was also popular on the SNES?

Earthbound.

Anecdotal answer to all the people decrying those of us that want more long term announcements: I'm probably going to buy a Switch when Mario Odyssey comes out, but I would be able to do so much more confidently if they would announce/confirm Animal Crossing for the Switch.

I'm not assuming anything. My first post literally said I hope they are not doing that, which means I am not sure they are. But there have definitely been plenty of shows where Nintendo really did focus almost entirely on games within that year, so it's not like such phrasing isn't cause for me to be concerned.

Don't get me wrong I know there will be surprises, I just hope there is a few surprises that will be from 2018 and that we can get a meaningful glimpse of them. People talk about not reading things in the press releases, but suddenly fail to read phrasing in the posts that capture their eye :p

The last time I remember this happening was 2008.

Protome

So the "Nintendo Spotlight" is basically their Direct this year? I'm a bit surprised that it's only going to cover Switch games, hopefully that means they've got a few things to announce for the rest of the year, even if it's just ports/definitive editions of things like Smash Bros and Pokemon.

I don't really know where you're getting the idea of FE fatigue from, but okay. Even if it was true I don't think Nintendo agrees considering they've already announced a Fire Emblem game for next year and a spin-off for this year. Them giving more information on a game they've already announced seems fairly likely to me but what do I know?
I don't want you to think I'm dissing Fire Emblem lol. I'm just saying we have FE Echoes releasing. They got this season pass and FE game year after year for the past 3 years. They're not going to show everything at E3. Yeah, they'll show FE Warriors. That's enough. We don't need to see FE Switch. Just save it for a Direct later this year or next E3.

They've revealed games in the past and we didn't get any information until 2 years later.

The cycle of waiting for the next event after the upcoming one due to Nintendo not delivering. As per usual people expected this event to cover stuff for this year and next year if not further, and now that it is only covering 2017, we are seeing posts about waiting for the next direct. It's a common theme with Nintendo.

I see literally no posts talking about waiting for a Direct after E3. I see posts showing why the "focus" on 2017 does not mean they won't announce 2018 games though, so your entire premise is false.

Dystify

Isn't the limited version of the voice chat app supposed to launch this summer? I'd be shocked if they don't discuss that at least a bit.

Yeah the a free, limited version of the app is coming in Summer, probably with Splatoon 2. I meant more like a Direct or videos detailing the online service. I just don't think they'll show/detail all of the service at E3.

sinxtanx

Q: "Why didn't Nintendo announce right now all the games they're bringing to E3?"

A:
fucking hell dude do I really have to answer that

Amir0x

Banned
Principate said:
The last nintendo direct which they said they'll focus on two games barely showed those two games, I'm sure you'll have nothing to worry about.

Yup, that's what I'll be hoping for. There's good odds given that I know they have to have tons of games in the pipeline.

Where did they announce NES Mini by the way? I want to actually get a SNES Mini. There's no chance that would be in a direct though, right?

Ah, knew I would come into this thread with most of the posts being people overreacting and drawing conclusions and making assumptions from the wording of the short statements...no new games.... 0% chance of anything but 2017 being shown.... things never change here lol.

Locate post that said "no new games" and "0% chance of anything but 2017 shown". Or is this a strawman for persecution complex GAF? ;)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Why aren't more people talking about the fact that the presentation is Switch only? Wasn't the preemptive whining last month about how Nintendo was going to waste time on 3DS at E3?

TheMoon

Sounds like we aren't getting a full-blown Nintendo Direct? The wording on the announcement seems kinda strange.

it's never been a "Direct" except for 2013.

Digital Event
Spotlight

all the same thing anyway.

Locate post that said "no new games" and "0% chance of anything but 2017 shown". Or is this a strawman for persecution complex GAF? ;)

Is this even necessary at this point? Is it persecution complex when BS like this is a foregone conclusion?

Soph

Why aren't more people talking about the fact that the presentation is Switch only? Wasn't the preemptive whining last month about how Nintendo was going to waste time on 3DS at E3?

Don't you get it, there's nothing to concerntroll about that fact. It's all about the alledgedly just 2017 games Nintendo has now.

Yeah the a free, limited version of the app is coming in Summer, probably with Splatoon 2. I meant more like a Direct or videos detailing the online service. I just don't think they'll show/detail all of the service at E3.

Ah yeah, I doubt they'll say everything about it but I definitely expect a few details at the very least.

Very interesting as I believe there's still some high profile 3DS games to be announced, I wonder if they'll really leave them for the Treehouse?

Dude I brought that up earlier! Lol

People were whining about "oh you know 3DS games will be part of the presentation". Why aren't people happy it's going to be Switch only? That's the best part of this whole thing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Funny thing is, despite already being out, BotW has a chance to once again be one of Nintendo's big E3 games thanks to the DLC story pack.

phanphare

Banned
Q: "Why didn't Nintendo announce right now all the games they're bringing to E3?"

A:
fucking hell dude do I really have to answer that

REk2i5F.gif

Amir0x

Banned
I have a 3DS but I'm fine with the presentation being Switch only. My days of playing games portable are pretty much over. Vita and 3DS are now finally resigned, and I pretty much never touch smartphone games. Even Switch when I get it will be played almost entirely docked. So yeah, focus on the Switch Nintendo. Show us dat unified development front >:D

Clov

I'm still assuming that they're going to show a 2018 title or two, even if the focus is on 2017 titles. There's bound to be some 2017 surprises as well!

I really hope we see Smash Bros this year.

Kurt

I think that the focus on 2017 games is in a good way.
I mean if there aren't that many games, they would include those from 2018.

I only fear that we get zelda dlc, splatoon 2 , arms footage from where those 2 last games we already saw a lot of content of...

Sorry, I don't know that anyone literally said that, but just browsing through the first few pages, just complaint after complaint after complaint on most of these types of threads is tiring and I did some hyperbole here, extrapolating some of the general sentiments of the complaints/questions, but I guess people calling that out and being frustrated about it is just as tiring, so I apologize :) I guess I should have just ignored it and said that I am personally excited for E3 and can patiently wait for whatever is shown!

XandBosch

You can't sell your Switch if we spend the whole year talking about "what ifs" for Metroid, Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

My prediction:

Arms
Xenoblade 2
Mario
Zelda DLC
8 new Amiibo
Mario/Ubi RPG
NBA 2K18
Yooka Leyle
Splatoon 2
Sonic
Rime
Old Time Hockey
Toe Jam and Earl
More indies
Online stuff segments into VC stuff
Skyrim

This is probably right on the mark. I would add one tease about Retro's game though, they've been working on that shit forever.

Top Bottom