• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 plans detailed

DMONKUMA

Well.....Let's see if Xenoblade 2 is 2017 when this event comes. I was hoping for some, announcements of games coming out early next year.

"Well, you should have waited to buy a PS4 for Final Fantasy Versus XIII and the Last Guardian."

Eh did you really need to see the sees of Ff Versus 13 or even FF 7R or KH3 many years ago? Games in the near future feel more important to me not games far out that purely exist for marketing and generating hype.

Exactly. I know there are a contingent of people who welcome PR with open arms, but I'm uninterested in a bunch of hype without substance.

Amir0x

Banned
This do make sense

But still, its pretty enerving when they show games that are yeeears away

You get excited about a game that has no release date, when it gets one it will probably be delayed, it may suck or change completely from the release trailer... or it may never be released at all

the perfect E3 for me would be miyamoto on a stage saying "And here is a giant countdown clock for the release of Super Mario Odyssey" and the clock starts counting from 10seconds "Its here! Its released now! You can buy it in the eshop at this very moment!" fireworks

That would be the best E3 ever. One E3 where a big company just announces these games and then by the end 50% of them are available for purchase then and there lol

Eh did you really need to see the sees of Ff Versus 13 or even FF 7R or KH3 many years ago? Games in the near future feel more important to me not games far out that purely exist for marketing and generating hype.

I mean that's the other extreme of the strategy, and not one that needs to be advocated for in order to want to see games outside of 2017. I definitely don't think Nintendo should announce games that are so early in the pipeline that we might not see it for the entire generation ;P

There's just a happy medium. Let's say every E3 conference for any company, the majority of the games shown you want to be released within 365 days. That's the smart course. But maybe you pepper in two games that's might come in one and a half years, or two. And maybe a teaser for something that you're not sure when it might come, just to show the crazy shit in the pipeline.

You don't want to go the Microsoft route when you announce Phantom Dust and Scalebound and both are cancelled within two years. And you don't want to go the route Sony sometimes does, which is simply announcing games way too early (which I could argue they did for Last of Us II, maybe). But there are happy middle grounds.

Just think of if Nintendo teased a F-Zero game coming at the end of 2018 or mid 2019. Or teased a Star Tropics game. Would anyone be anything but insane out of their mind with hype? I doubt it :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's time for Animal Crossing Switch to SHINE

Animal Crossing: New Laifu

Exactly. I know there are a contingent of people who welcome PR with open arms, but I'm uninterested in a bunch of hype without substance.

Exactly, I was not enthusiastic towards Sony's E3 2015 since I know FF7R and Shenmue 3 aren't going to be released in a few years. The same applies to Death Stranding.

On topic, I am stupidly excited for FE Warriors.

I'm alright with 2017 Switch-only games for this Direct. I'm hoping there's a lot to show! That just means there will be more Nintendo Directs in the future for 2018 games.

Liamc723

When those games never actually materialize, or have gone dark for 4 years after, I'd argue that yes, it does. Smoke and mirrors are of no worth.

This happens with so few games that it isn't even a consideration. If you see a game at E3, 99% you're going to be playing it at some point.

schaft0620

You can't sell your Switch if we spend the whole year talking about "what ifs" for Metroid, Pokemon and Animal Crossing.

My prediction:

Arms
Xenoblade 2
Mario
Zelda DLC
8 new Amiibo
Mario/Ubi RPG
NBA 2K18
Yooka Leyle
Splatoon 2
Sonic
Rime
Old Time Hockey
Toe Jam and Earl
More indies
Online stuff segments into VC stuff
Skyrim

Be a smart consumer and don't get duped by marketing.

Not to mention buying a system for just one game isn't exactly a smart move.

Of course. But what's the point of the marketing BS at all if you can just skip it? If a company says, "We're going to show you what we know we have, not what we hope to have in 3 years," why is that a bad thing? That's the whole point.

This happens with so few games that it isn't even a consideration. If you see a game at E3, 99% you're going to be playing it at some point.

I guess if we understand E3 to be companies giving aspirational pitches to consumers about what they hope they can offer someday, then that's fine. I'd rather see what will actually be offered than things I might see many years from now, or even if rarely, not at all.

Talking about games they could tease for 2018 just made me remember all that chatter about Beyond Good and Evil 2! I'm hoping we finally get the reveal trailer for that! My personal wishlist of 2018 games I'd like to see teased or mentioned is:

- Pikmin
- Animal Crossing
- Smash 4 port (I don't think there's room for it this year)
- BG&E2
- Retro's project

Even just mentioning that those games will come next year would be amazing.

Oddish1

They'll probably give more info on the Fire Emblem Switch game as well so it's likely that there will be a couple 2018 games. I doubt there will be a lot though, Nintendo seems to really like being stingy with information in recent years. Good to see an Arms tournament is being held and not just Splatoon.

I said I really want Metroid and I stand by that but in my heart of hearts I know it's only 40% likely to happen at best.

However, if they say NOTHING about VC I will fly over there and start cutting people. Deadly serious*. Y'all motherfuckers best watch the news.

*not actually serious

XandBosch

No way Animal Crossing gets announced, unless it's a Wii U game that changed to Switch mid-way through development. Nooooo way. Everyone seems to think Nintendo is going to blow their whole load THIS year. We'll look back on 2017 and say "we got Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario, Xenoblade, etc." - we need to be able to say we got a list of that magnitude for each year to come. If we got everything now, there'd be nothing left.

KHlover

Banned
Yeah, at this point I'd prefer not knowing about KH3. It's been announced so damn long ago. I've graduated from college and worked for almost two years since then >.<

Sad story. I finally got a ticket to E3. Booked my flight from Chicago, got an Air Bnb... Even checked my work's event calendar to make sure I wasn't conflicting with any events. All good. Took the days off. Ready to go.

NOPE completely forgot about a small conference in NY I have to go to the exact same days. So now I have to try to cancel all of my travel plans and maybe even beg for a refund on my ticket to E3 (which probably isn't going to happen).

I am v sad.

Edit: the good news is that my job allows me to fund my gaming habits, so I guess I need to be appreciative.

Effect

The reading comprehension of some people here is terrifying. It seems we go through this every damn year. Nintendo puts more of a focus on games coming in the year E3 takes place but they always talk about new stuff coming in the next year. The next year stuff is just never the focus. It's the opposite of what Sony and Microsoft do where they don't talk about stuff coming sooner but rather later. There is what only one game that has come out that was focused on in Sony's last E3 presentation right? The exception being last year where it was just the Zelda show and even then they pulled it off and "won" E3 with just a single game focus.

They'll probably give more info on the Fire Emblem Switch game as well so it's likely that there will be a couple 2018 games. I doubt there will be a lot though, Nintendo seems to really like being stingy with information in recent years. Good to see an Arms tournament is being held and not just Splatoon.

I don't think they're going to show Fire Emblem Switch. I'm sorry, but there's FE fatigue now. Give it a rest and show it next year. FE Echoes is coming this month. There's too much FE. Nintendo fans want to see other IP's like Metroid and F-Zero or a Pikmin 4.

NOPE completely forgot about a small conference in NY I have to go to the exact same days. So now I have to try to cancel all of my travel plans and maybe even beg for a refund on my ticket to E3 (which probably isn't going to happen).

What's so important about this small convention that you can't get someone else to go for you.

Amir0x

Banned
Here's the thing about focusing on the future of Switch beyond 2017. It does not cover everything everyone wants to know for the Switch in 2017. They have all year to talk about 2018 releases on their own terms outside E3, but right now with their eyes on them it's the ideal event to talk about why you should be getting a Switch this year instead of waiting to see what will happen.

They want to outline the content they want to release this year, already announced or not, to justify those 10 million+ Switches they want to sell for this fiscal year. They need to talk about Odyssey, they need to talk about Virtual Console, the online service, they need to talk about Xenoblade 2, Smash, video stream, maybe even Pokemon.

Everthing you say about the Switch being barebones or not ready for you to buy can be explained at E3 as they focus on the Switch in 2017.

They can do all that though and show a few surprises that are in store for next year. I guess I'm just not sure why Nintendo is incapable of doing this, while everyone else seems perfectly able. Nintendo's games are usually dependably great, so it's not like they shouldn't have the confidence to do it. And it's not often they outright cancel announced games.

I simply think Nintendo is capable of being better and doing more. I've loved them since I was a kid, and even though they've occasionally diverged from where I wanted them to go, one thing that never ceased to be true is the insane talent they have. I think it's time for them to show the strength they're capable of, that they are competing with the other and here's a taste of what's to come.

Deku89

To be fair, there's a lot of stuff we don't know for 2017. VC, online account, new gameplay of announced games, etc.

My bet we'll get gameplay of all the 2017 games and trailers for some 2018 games. I think we will hear about the new FE game, Smash, and Retro.

Why are some acting as if Nintendo won't show some 2018 titles? They do this frequently in Directs. They "focus" on a certain time period and announce at least one title beyond that scope.

Dystify

To be fair, there's a lot of stuff we don't know for 2017. VC, online account, new gameplay of announced games, etc.

My bet we'll get gameplay of all the 2017 games and trailers for some 2018 games. I think we will hear about the new FE game, Smash, and Retro.

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't detail their online service until it's closer to launch.

Thatanas

Why are some acting as if Nintendo won't show some 2018 titles? They do this all the time in Directs. They "focus" on a certain time period and announce at least one title beyond that scope.

Because in the picture there is no mention of the word 'focus', that's only in the press release. Neo being Neo, people tend to panic before having all the info.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why is showing games coming out soon seen as bad?

Year long waits are not fun.

Give me games I can play within months not years.

ggx2ac

The best thing is ARMS comes out straight after E3 so it's a very short wait for a new game.

Majine

Banned
I do appreciate them focusing on what's coming in the next couple of months.

I can only get lukewarm when Sony shows something that's not intended for this world until 2021.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
They can do all that though and show a few surprises that are in store for next year. I guess I'm just not sure why Nintendo is incapable of doing this, while everyone else seems perfectly able. Nintendo's games are usually dependably great, so it's not like they shouldn't have the confidence to do it. And it's not often they outright cancel announced games.

I simply think Nintendo is capable of being better and doing more. I've loved them since I was a kid, and even though they've occasionally diverged from where I wanted them to go, one thing that never ceased to be true is the insane talent they have. I think it's time for them to show the strength they're capable of, that they are competing with the other and here's a taste of what's to come.

Your assuming they're not when they've already said they'll be focusing on 2017 meaning they'll show games beyond it.

This is entirely on you.

Oddish1

I don't think they're going to show Fire Emblem Switch. I'm sorry, but there's FE fatigue now. Give it a rest and show it next year. FE Echoes is coming this month. There's too much FE. Nintendo fans want to see other IP's like Metroid and F-Zero or a Pikmin 4.

I don't really know where you're getting the idea of FE fatigue from, but okay. Even if it was true I don't think Nintendo agrees considering they've already announced a Fire Emblem game for next year and a spin-off for this year. Them giving more information on a game they've already announced seems fairly likely to me but what do I know?

Because you ACTUALLY DON'T KNOW what they will be planning this E3 beyond what the press release said. Even when they said Zelda would be the only game presented at E3 2016, they still demo'd Pokémon Sun and Moon, shadow dropped Rhythm Heaven Megamix in the West, announced Ever Oasis, revealed a new Mario party, and demo'd several Wii U games.

You're basing these sort of thoughts on what you think Nintendo might be doing while not doing the thing you want them to do.

Amir0x

Banned
Your assuming they're not when they've already said they'll be focusing on 2017 meaning they'll show games beyond it.

This is entirely on you.

I'm not assuming anything. My first post literally said I hope they are not doing that, which means I am not sure they are. But there have definitely been plenty of shows where Nintendo really did focus almost entirely on games within that year, so it's not like such phrasing isn't cause for me to be concerned.

Don't get me wrong I know there will be surprises, I just hope there is a few surprises that will be from 2018 and that we can get a meaningful glimpse of them. People talk about not reading things in the press releases, but suddenly fail to read phrasing in the posts that capture their eye :p

Give me both.

I don't know why this is always presented as either/or. You can have content coming now, somewhat later and even further out. If you're going to be enjoying what is out now anyway, what does it matter if we find out about a game or two considerably further out?

Besides, as I've said before, if Nintendo had an announcement on par with an exclusive Spider-Man game, of course they would announce it and Nintendo fans would (rightly) get excited. They wouldn't complain about it being too far out.

Top Bottom