• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Era Rare Vs. Microsoft Era Rare: Which One Was/Is Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

I don't know guys, Grabbed by the Ghoulies!

Get it.

Grabbed

by the GHOULIES

Like your testicles.

kL38O1J.jpg

Camjo-Z

They were always garbage, it's just that dearth of 3rd party content on Nintendo consoles made them shine brighter since there was very little to compare them to. When they were bought by MS and had to compete with basically the entirety of the western game development scene, it exposed them for the hacks they were.

The DKC and Banjo games are widely considered some of the best platformers of all time even to this day, nice try though.

Gartooth

It is the Nintendo era. How is this even a contest? Microsoft Rare does get points for Viva Pinata which is one of their best IP. Still doesn't compare to Donkey Kong Country, GoldenEye, Banjo-Kazooie, and Perfect Dark.

50 to 60% of those Nintendo era games are on the Xbox plus 360 has Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, Conker remake = more. So MS era wins imo.

While i dont hate Microsoft Rare and i think they made some gems like Viva Piñata and a pretty solid Conker remake, theres no contest here. Its like comparing Sonic Adventure to Sonic 3 and Knuckles, sure, there's many good things in Adventure, but the difference in polish and quality is incredibly wide.

Kill3r7

How is this even a legit question? Just look at all the classics listed under one company vs the other.

Rare under Nintendo was like that kid in high school who excelled because of parental supervision and once they got to college (Microsoft) all the freedom proved too much for them because they lacked the discipline. That said, I have very high hopes for Sea of Thieves.

daTRUballin

They were always garbage, it's just that dearth of 3rd party content on Nintendo consoles made them shine brighter since there was very little to compare them to. When they were bought by MS and had to compete with basically the entirety of the western game development scene, it exposed them for the hacks they were.

You're obviously misinformed about Rare's history if you think the reason why they did so terribly under Microsoft was because they were "hacks".

statham

Well considering Microsoft has Rare Replay which has something like 20 games from Nintendo's era. I say its a toss-up.

Growing up during both eras (childhood with Rare's Nintendo output, teenaged years with Rare's non-Kinect MS output), it's roughly equal for me. Microsoft has just completely underutilized Rare for its classic fans since Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise and Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts launched.

I don't feel the hang up some people do with Rare's sour history with Nintendo and then Kinect. What I want is to see the studio and its IPs make some form of a comeback! I'm not a fan of pirates, but I'm all over Sea of Thieves when that comes out to show my support and to hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

WillyFive

Rare made some good games in the MS era; but it's like comparing Europe during the Renaissance vs the Dark Ages. Rare as one knew it has not even existed in almost a decade.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
seeing people trying to twist the answer in MS' favour is like watching a contorsionist breaking all his bones trying to put his tongue inside his arse

Camjo-Z

can we all just accept that nuts & bolts is an okay game with fun mechanics that get bogged down by uninteresting missions and empty level design

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Nintendo Rare is the obvious answer.

Having said that, the best of Microsoft Rare I believe stands toe to toe with the best of Nintendo Rare. There's just a lot less of it.

Viva Piñata is easily one of the best 5 games Rare has ever produced.

novabolt

Too much hyperbole from both sides. I personally feel that Rare only created a few gems on both sides. Kameco, Banjo and K, Conker, Perfect Dark, Jet Force, Viva Pinta and Blast Corps are some of Rare's best games.

I really do hope that Rare are at the front helm for a Fable 4 or reboot game.

Kaisos

Both are pretty terrible tbh. While Rare had a lot of good games under Nintendo, DK64, Starfox Adventures, and the parts of Conker where you have to actually control the character are god-awful enough to drag them down to the level of the Microsoft-era Rare's bland mediocrity.

I'll especially never forgive them for Starfox Adventures. What a crock of shit, and not even because of the genre change.

VanWinkle

You're surprised nobody has made this thread before? Nobody has because everybody knows the answer. It's basically DKC, Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Conker, Banjo Kazooie, Diddie Kong Racing, etc vs Viva Pinata.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom