• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Era Rare Vs. Microsoft Era Rare: Which One Was/Is Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are pretty terrible tbh. While Rare had a lot of good games under Nintendo, DK64, Starfox Adventures, and the parts of Conker where you have to actually control the character are god-awful enough to drag them down to the level of the Microsoft-era Rare's bland mediocrity.

I'll especially never forgive them for Starfox Adventures. What a crock of shit, and not even because of the genre change.
I'm....I'm not even sure what that means. That's like the majority of the game.

Crayolan

819.jpg

lmao what?

daTRUballin

You're surprised nobody has made this thread before? Nobody has because everybody knows the answer. It's basically DKC, Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Conker, Banjo Kazooie, Diddie Kong Racing, etc vs Viva Pinata.

Now I know.

I thought it would be an interesting discussion. It's pretty entertaining so far though. :p

Terrell

I don't see the wisdom in even bothering to create this thread. The whole premise of the thread is like a luxury spa vacation and the gift that keeps on giving all rolled into one for trolls.

Nintendo easily, no competition.

But Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, Conker: Live and Reloaded, Viva Pinata 1+2 are among my favourite games Rare have made.

Nothing will ever top DKC2 though so yeah, there's that.

ReyVGM

RARE fans are like people with politics. It doesn't matter who's at the helm or if their output is worthy, they will just follow the name of the entity.

Microsoft RARE has pretty much none of the great talent of the N64 era. Being a fan of RARE now is just being a fan of the company name.

Sure you may like some of their most recent games, being a fan of the company? Nah.

This is the single easiest answer in the history of these types of threads i aint even gonna answer because everyone knows the right answer.

Its like saying whos the more succesful baseball team the Yankees or Padres.

Drayco21

Viva Pinata, Nuts and Bolts and Kameo are better than than the entire catalog of their Nintendo work, as far as I'm concerned; if they hadn't been relegated to shovelware for half of last gen, this wouldn't even be a conversation imo.

Kevtones

Nintendo Era:
Donkey Kong Country - one of the best platformers of its generation
Killer Instinct (SNES) - a slightly above-average fighter
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - one of the best platformers of its generation
Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run - a decent baseball game
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! - a very good to great platformer
Killer Instinct Gold - an average fighter
Blast Corps - a great and unique action game
Goldeneye 007 - one of the all-time great FPS and revolutionary at its time
Diddy Kong Racing - a truly great racing and innovative racing game
Banjo Kazooie - one of the best platformers of its generation
Jet Force Gemini - a great action game
Donkey Kong 64 - a good but divisive platformer
Perfect Dark one of the best and most ambitious FPS games ever when released
Mickey's Speedway USA - a good racing game
Banjo Tooie - a good platformer with performance issues
Conker's Bad Fur Day - a cult classic/great platformer
Star Fox Adventures - a slightly above average Zelda clone

VS.

Microsoft Era:
Grabbed by the Ghoulies - a middling adventure game
Conker: Live & Reloaded - a good remake of a great game
Kameo: Elements of Power - a slightly above average Zelda clone
Perfect Dark Zero - a bad FPS with good multiplayer
Viva Piñata - a fun and unique game
Jetpac Refuelled - a decent reboot
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise - haven't played but by all means decent
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts - a good idea with decent execution, good game
Kinect Sports a poor man's wii sports
Kinect Sports: Season Two (co-developed with BigPark) a poor man's Wii Sports Resort
Kinect Sports Rivals haven't played
Sea of Thieves (currently in development)

I don't feel like I'm being hyperbolic but nobody in their right mind could ever vote the latter. Silly.

Kaisos

I'm....I'm not even sure what that means. That's like the majority of the game.

Conker has fantastic writing and imaginative level design, but the gameplay is horrible. Like downright fucking garbage. People really want to overlook that for some reason.

lmao what?

Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, which is interestingly a much better game than most of Rare's output.

Star Fox Adventures - a slightly above average Zelda clone

No, that's Beyond Good and Evil. Starfox Adventures is miserable and unfinished and I'd recommend playing it again to see how bad it really is if you haven't in a decade or so since it's release.

Very few would argue that Microsoft era Rare is overall better.

Kameo, Viva Pinata, and Nuts and Bolts are actually pretty good games, though.

Kevtones

No, that's Beyond Good and Evil. Starfox Adventures is miserable and unfinished and I'd recommend playing it again to see how bad it really is if you haven't in a decade or so since it's release.

While I won't argue that it felt unfinished (like content got cut), I think it controls and plays pretty well. Aesthetically its pretty consistent and the pacing is nice after the opening. Definitely forgettable but I wouldn't swing the hyperbole and say its 'miserable'.

The question has an obvious answer but I think MS Rare is better than most people give them credit for. Their games are average at worst and even stuff like the Kinect Sports games were good for what they are.

Gaspard

While I won't argue that it felt unfinished (like content got cut), I think it controls and plays pretty well. Aesthetically its pretty consistent and the pacing is nice after the opening. Definitely forgettable but I wouldn't swing the hyperbole and say its 'miserable'.

Literally every trip to Krazoa Palace was like pulling teeth.

I only have fond memories of the cozy first area of Dinosaur Planet.

illadelph

why is this even a thread

maybe some of their MS shit is underrated, but at least 75% of the Nintendo games are god-tier video games

daTRUballin

I don't see the wisdom in even bothering to create this thread. The whole premise of the thread is like a luxury spa vacation and the gift that keeps on giving all rolled into one for trolls.

People can have opinions. There already have been some people who voted for the MS era. When I made this thread, I knew it was going to be mostly one-sided, but it's still just a simple comparison of two eras of a developer. I obviously didn't intend for this to be a troll thread or for this thread to be full of trolls.

And since nobody else has ever made this thread before, I figured why not make it? Even if it's mostly one sided, it's still just a comparison between two eras of games.

RARE fans are like people with politics. It doesn't matter who's at the helm or if their output is worthy, they will just follow the name of the entity.

Microsoft RARE has pretty much none of the great talent of the N64 era. Being a fan of RARE now is just being a fan of the company name.

Sure you may like some of their most recent games, being a fan of the company? Nah.

I'd expect the studio is employing fans of its past culture, capable of emulating the classic games. No reason why the lasting Rareware employees and inspired new blood can't create worthy followups to old IP and good new IP given the green light and resources; I'm under the impression that we have entered a new era of Rare, we've just yet to see some output.

I hope we're having some different conversations about modern Rare in the near future because Sea of Thieves earns some optimism in the studio.

Worst outcome is Microsoft pulls a Lionhead ;__;

shandy706

I like them both, but...I mean..Goldeneye...Perfect Dark...DKC...

MS Rare has made great games too. Viva Pinata is awesome.

Kaisos

I think it controls and plays pretty well.

This entirely mandatory minigame took me over a hundred tries due to its sheer misery.

There are a lot of parts of the game, whether minigame or not, that become nearly-insurmountable walls due to poor controls and what feels like nonexistent testing. Don't even get me started on how shitty it is to aim the damn staff in third-person.

By far one of the worst experiences I've had playing video games in my adult life.

Just off the top of my head:
Gregg Mayles, Leigh Loveday, Louise O'Connor, Robin Beanland, Chris Marlow, Chris Allcock.
Still plenty of veterans, along with new talent.

The true question is, will CypherSignal ever come back to this thread.

Sure, if you want.

I mean, I'm not going to go so far as to say that the MS lineup as a whole was better than the entire Nintendo lineup, cut me some slack. Of the ones I've played, though, their quality in the Nintendo era ranges from okay-to-solid; I wasn't a Goldeneye kid back in the day, for example, and enjoyed DKC2 and BK but they didn't blow my hair back the way the Mario games did.

Mostly it's just that Nuts and Bolts was on a whole 'nother level, where I felt it had a lot of really challenging, interesting, and wonderfully open-ended puzzle solving. I don't think I've played or seen a game like N&B before or since and it really stands out as a fine game.

casiopao

Wrong. Nuts and bolts was pure garbage.

THIS. It is pure insanity to see people saying Nuts and Bolts as good. Hell, it is not even a Banjo game dammit.

Viva Pinata and Kameo is nice good game though. Still far behind Conker, Banjo and DK for me though.

daTRUballin

I'd expect the studio is employing fans of its past culture, capable of emulating the classic games. No reason why the lasting Rareware employees and inspired new blood can't create worthy followups to old IP and good new IP given the green light and resources; I'm under the impression that we have entered a new era of Rare, we've just yet to see some output.

I hope we're having some different conversations about modern Rare in the near future because Sea of Thieves earns some optimism in the studio.

Worst outcome is Microsoft pulls a Lionhead ;__;

I absolutely agree. This whole "Rare is just a name" argument is so tired and old. There is absolutely no reason why new employees can't make good or even better games. By that logic, shouldn't Naughty Dog and Retro Studios be considered "nothing but names" as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom