• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Era Rare Vs. Microsoft Era Rare: Which One Was/Is Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darklin0

Banned
Sure, if you want.

I mean, I'm not going to go so far as to say that the entire MS lineup was better than the entire Nintendo lineup, cut me some slack. Of the ones I've played, though, their quality in the Nintendo era ranges from okay-to-solid; I wasn't a Goldeneye kid back in the day, for example, and enjoyed DKC2 and BK but they didn't blow my hair back the way the Mario games did.

Mostly it's just that Nuts and Bolts was on a whole 'nother level, where I felt it had a lot of really challenging, interesting, and wonderfully open-ended puzzle solving. I don't think I've played or seen a game like N&B before or since and it really stands out as a fine game.
You could of avoided all the gif replies if you posted like this before. xD
I agree on some of your points. N&B biggest issue was its name, should of been a new IP and it would of gotten way less hate.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I don't have much to add, but I have to say the consensus has got to be on Nintendo-era Rare and I share that sentiment. I think most Microsoft fans would agree too.

That's not to take anything away from Viva Pinata specifically though.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
THIS right here.

Tooie is a trash game for those with trash tastes.
Agreed.

I skipped Tooie back when it came out, tried it for the first time on Rare Replay..the game really is God Awful, it's amazing that it's a sequel to one of the best games ever made.

Conker has fantastic writing and imaginative level design, but the gameplay is horrible. Like downright fucking garbage. People really want to overlook that for some reason.
Its multiplayer was one of the best of the gen, it was sincerely on pair with Smash Bros and Goldeneye.
I mean, the platformer part of it wasn't that good, but the 3rd person gameplay and shooting was just top notch, even with just one analog stick.

giphy.gif

Goldeneye 007, on its own, shits on Rare's MS output from a great height.

Nintendo Rare vs MS Rare is a perfect example of the difference between seasoned game developers controlling a studio vs. middle managers controlling a studio.

Kevtones

This entirely mandatory minigame took me over a hundred tries due to its sheer misery.

YMMV but fair enough. I experienced something similar in that fucking shit turret section at the end of Bayonetta. I couldn't beat it and it's right before the final boss. Soured me on an otherwise great game.

Not arguing SFA is on that level but I can agree random mandatory gameplay changes are a horrid idea usually.

Debirudog

Rare was able to put out a shit ton of varied genres in the N64, it's kinda crazy. Nintendo's one good left arm.

That level of output sizzled out under Microsoft though.

rawbhawb

No it wasn't. It's a good game in its own right.

It's below Banjo 1 but above Banjo 2.

N&B isn't bad but Tooie is far better. Mostly because it's actually a Banjo game, the rest being the worlds are actually interesting to run around and explore.

As for the OP, I haven't played every Rare game, but the Nintendo ones I've played I've enjoyed far more than the MS ones.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
...Why is this even a question? Even for someone like me who never thought Rare was anything special, it's pretty damn clear their output was better under Nintendo than under MS.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Come on, is this even a question.

It's like asking which were stronger films; the Original Trilogy or the Star Wars Prequels.

Though both were terrible, I think the second trilogy wins by the second film actually having a story that extends a coaster.

Though I agree that regardign Rare this really isn't much of a question. Banjo-Kazooie alone beats all of their other games, but DKC2, DKR, Banjo-Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day and Blast Corps are all absolutely excellent games that beat almost anything on the Microsoft-line up from Rare. Only Kameo, Nuts & Bolts (though it was a terrible Banjo game, it was a good game) and Viva Pinata are comparable to their Nintendo-output. Maybe Grunty's Revenge, too, though it really is a bit short and easy. Personally, I only consider Kameo top tier out of Rare's post-Nintendo line up.

Ninja Dom

They were always garbage, it's just that dearth of 3rd party content on Nintendo consoles made them shine brighter since there was very little to compare them to. When they were bought by MS and had to compete with basically the entirety of the western game development scene, it exposed them for the hacks they were.

Not too far wrong.

However, Rare were/are very competent programmers. Very good at the technical stuff.

But when it came to design, they were always trying to be better than Nintendo themselves, and always failing.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not too far wrong.

However, Rare were/are very competent programmers. Very good at the technical stuff.

But when it came to design, they were always trying to be better than Nintendo themselves, and always failing.

Banjo-Kazooie is sporting the best (semi-) open world game design ever conceived, so I can only object to your claim that Rare was never good at design. Their 1998 game continues to put each and every open world game this or last gen to shame.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
With Nintendo Rare produced multiple classic games that are still revered 20 years later. The only Microsoft-Rare games that I look back on with any fondness are the Viva Piñata games. The rest were painfully mediocre.

Lazaro

I do like Kameo and Viva Pinata, PDZ was meh. GBTG is actually pretty fun somehwat.

But I'll choose Nintendo Rare. I really like their NES library.

Hope Rare, Nintendo and Microsoft can reach an agreement on Goldeneye, imagine Goldeneye remastered (or whatever) on Switch and Scorpio/PC.

Azzawon

Nintendo of course. As much as I liked some of their Microsoft titles, their previous games take some serious beating. Also, let's just pretend that the Kinect Sports games never happened.

I'm looking forward to Sea of Thieves, hopefully it'll be a return to form.

Dunkley

I mean I loved Viva Pinata, that pause theme will never get unstuck in my head, but c'mon, this isn't even a contest. Nintendo-Era Rare wins so easily.

LoSnupo

"I'm honestly surprised nobody has made this thread before"

Read the games released by Rare (N) and Rare (M): that's why nobody ever asked this question.

Viva Pinata 1 might well be their best work and I stand by my belief that Kameo was an underrated gem, but neither of those can make a dent on their output under Nintendo.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looking back I don't think Rare's N64 games were all that great. Their Xbox games aren't that great either.

It's basically like Trump vs Hillary Clinton. Which one wasn't quite as bad as the other? So in that regard Hillary/N64 gets the nod for Banjo and Goldeneye.

The Rare games I like are Snake Rattle 'n' Roll and Viva Piñata. I guess my preference goes to pre-Nintendo or post-Nintendo. I do respect the creativity that went into Banjo-Kazooie and Golden Eye though. They're just not my thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom