• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update officially released [New Update: Fixes Ridge Racer 3DS issue]

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not as unique now as it was in 1994. Now we've seen many updates on classic games, and even the continuation of this type of game in the Mario vs Donkey Kong series.

Basically, it takes the idea of the original Donkey Kong and greatly expands it. The first four stages are even shrunken-down Game Boy versions of the original four arcade stages. But Mario's got a much greater number of moves. Things like backflips, swinging around ropes and jumping up, crossing from rope to rope like in Donkey Kong Jr. It gets more puzzly past those recreation stages. There'll be a key you'll have to find a way to get to the keyhole. Have to avoid/kill/move enemies, use items that do things like create short-lasting bridges or ladders, use switches to control conveyor belts. Every several stages there will be a boss stage that's more about just surviving hazards and reaching Donkey Kong/Pauline, at which point he'll run off again. 100 stages total.

EDIT: This video of what you get pressing nothing at the title screen shows off the new moves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcHwhb98LWU

Oh ok. So it's kind of like the Mario vs DK games, but without the minis? (I know they didn't originally have the minis, but those are the only ones I've played). I like the puzzle platformer element. $4 doesn't seem that bad to me. Probably gonna go for it. Thanks.

Sianos

MooMoo said:
Wait we only get one eShop release (excluding DSiWare) a week? That blows...I was sort of expecting 2-3 a week.
I noticed that Donkey Jr. for Game and Watch is up there too, under the "Donkey Kong" section.

MooMoo

NSQuote said:
I noticed that Donkey Jr. for Game and Watch is up there too, under the "Donkey Kong" section.
Oh okay, that fulfills my minimum weekly release amount then. Stupid eShop and its weird setup. I was at least expecting to be able to go to the New Releases tab and see a new notification (sort of like how the DSi shop is set up) but lo and behold it still shows last week's notification. Geez Nintendo, step it up a notch.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hey folks -- not that I'm necessarily wanting to purchase them, but I noticed that this weeks DSiWare titles aren't appearing in my 3DS eShop.

Has anyone been able to browse/view the new DSiWare titles on their 3DS?

• Gold Fever (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare™)
• Zimo: Mahjong Fanatic (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)
• Hidden Photo (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)
• Beach Party Craze (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)

DavidDayton said:
Hey folks -- not that I'm necessarily wanting to purchase it, but I noticed that this weeks DSiWare titles aren't appearing in my 3DS eShop.

Has anyone been able to browse/view the new DSiWare titles on their 3DS?

• Gold Fever (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare™)
• Zimo: Mahjong Fanatic (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)
• Hidden Photo (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)
• Beach Party Craze (Nintendo eShop, Nintendo DSiWare)

I can't see them either. I don't know what's up with that. I couldn't find Valet Parking 1989 on there last week either and it's up now. Maybe they have 1 week timed exclusives?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oni Link 666 said:
I can't see them either. I don't know what's up with that. I couldn't find Valet Parking 1989 on there last week either and it's up now. Maybe they have 1 week timed exclusives?

Maybe...Nintendo...forgot to upload them.

kanugo

Just downloaded Excite Bike. So many memories. Next will be Mario Land and Zelda.

Any idea on how to know the code on this games to add to Nintendo Club? Or once the account is linked it does it automatically?

Ketch

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's not as unique now as it was in 1994. Now we've seen many updates on classic games, and even the continuation of this type of game in the Mario vs Donkey Kong series...

EDIT: This video of what you get pressing nothing at the title screen shows off the new moves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcHwhb98LWU

So it's color? the screenshots in the eshop make it look like old school gameboy monochrome or whatever it is.

Also, this or dsiware march of the minis?

sfog

kanugo said:
Just downloaded Excite Bike. So many memories. Next will be Mario Land and Zelda.

Any idea on how to know the code on this games to add to Nintendo Club? Or once the account is linked it does it automatically?

Assuming it's like the Wii or DSi, you'll get a post-play survey for coins automatically in about a week.

EasyTGT said:
So it's color? the screenshots in the eshop make it look like old school gameboy monochrome or whatever it is.

Also, this or dsiware march of the minis?

No, it's not color.

DK 94 plays like Donkey Kong. March of the minis plays like Lemmings. I personally like DK 94 better.

GeekyDad

Oni Link 666 said:

Yeah, I checked a couple of hours ago, and the new games were all up there for me (east coast USA).

Big One

Banned
You know I wonder if the reason why there isn't any Super Game Boy support is the possibility we might see Super Game Boy for the Wii VC in the future. I think that would be pretty neat.

GeekyDad said:
Yeah, I checked a couple of hours ago, and the new games were all up there for me (east coast USA).

I still can't see any new DSiWare games. I'm on the East coast too (GA).

Big One said:
You know I wonder if the reason why there isn't any Super Game Boy support is the possibility we might see Super Game Boy for the Wii VC in the future. I think that would be pretty neat.

That would be like emulating a SNES emulating a GB. Yo dawg we put an emulatior in your emulator so you can emulate while you emulate. I imagine it's just a matter of having to do extra work on each GB game on top of what they're already doing since they probably aren't going to emulate a SNES emulating a GB.

RaidenZR

Oni Link 666 said:
No, it's not color.

DK 94 plays like Donkey Kong. March of the minis plays like Lemmings. I personally like DK 94 better.

Yeah but the GBA title Mario VS Donkey Kong (the predecessor of March of the Minis) was a continuation of Donkey Kong '94. I personally think DK '94 is a stronger game overall, but I enjoyed MvDK immensely as well.

RaidenZR

Oni Link 666 said:

That would be like emulating a SNES emulating a GB. Yo dawg we put an emulatior in your emulator so you can emulate while you emulate. I imagine it's just a matter of having to do extra work on each GB game on top of what they're already doing since they probably aren't going to emulate a SNES emulating a GB.

They can add in support for the Super Game Boy palettes. I might be wrong but I think I recall the Game Boy Color recognized the Super GB colors for those specific games (just sans-custom SGB borders). I'm sure it's not THAT much more complicated to do this and I'm more surprised they haven't done thins from the get-go. Perhaps it's something they can patch, though I'm not holding my breath for that.

GeekyDad

Oni Link 666 said:

Nah, I'm sorry. You're right, actually. I saw DK up there, as well as all the other new categories and assumed the full eShop update was live. After checking the newest additions, though, I only see DK.

OK so it seems since the update the other day I can no longer use my Australian Credit card on the US eShop for some reason. It was working fine the few times I added money before the update but now it keeps rejecting it. Anyone else with a US 3DS who has been using a non US credit card over the last week now having this issue?

RaidenZR said:
They can add in support for the Super Game Boy palettes. I might be wrong but I think I recall the Game Boy Color recognized the Super GB colors for those specific games (just sans-custom SGB borders). I'm sure it's not THAT much more complicated to do this and I'm more surprised they haven't done thins from the get-go. Perhaps it's something they can patch, though I'm not holding my breath for that.
Nope, the Gameboy Color didn't recognize Super GB colors - that's pure Super Nintendo assembly code built-into the game that sets up those palettes, you'd have to emulate a SNES CPU and palette system to do it. GBC just had some built-in palettes for a number of games.

Does anyone know where you can purchase these pre paid eShop cards from online, now that Nintendo US has locked out non US credit cards it seems to be the only way I'm going to be able to buy games form the eshop but I'm not having much luck finding these cards online anywhere.

Worthintendo said:
OK so it seems since the update the other day I can no longer use my Australian Credit card on the US eShop for some reason. It was working fine the few times I added money before the update but now it keeps rejecting it. Anyone else with a US 3DS who has been using a non US credit card over the last week now having this issue?

Damn, this has me worried now. I'm not in the US but I used a debt card twice before and it worked, haven't tried after the update. Will try to add funds for DK94 today... this will totally throw me off if it doesn't work. I don't understand why companies make it difficult for people to GIVE THEM MONEY

Naked Snake said:
I don't understand why companies make it difficult for people to GIVE THEM MONEY
Pretty much my point of view atm. Worst thing is I tried a few times to add points this morning and it looks like Nintendo may have deducted the money but not actually added it to my eShop account so yay for that.

Worthintendo said:
Pretty much my point of view atm. Worst thing is I tried a few times to add points this morning and it looks like Nintendo may have deducted the money but not actually added it to my eShop account so yay for that.
Fffffuuuu!!! I tried adding funds and it doesn't work anymore :'(

This will put a huge damper on my 3DS experience. The eShop is integral to my enjoyment of the 3DS. i am so disappointed :(

Naked Snake said:
Fffffuuuu!!! I tried adding funds and it doesn't work anymore :'(

This will put a huge damper on my 3DS experience. The eShop is integral to my enjoyment of the 3DS. i am so disappointed :(
If they're suddenly blocking regional cards (I don't see why they would) try a virtual online card service like entropay.

Maybe the server for looking up your intl payment details was fucked in some way.

radioheadrule83 said:
If they're suddenly blocking regional cards (I don't see why they would) try a virtual online card service like entropay.

Maybe the server for looking up your intl payment details was fucked in some way.
I've not heard of entropay before, are they trustworthy at all, what kind of fees do they charge?

Worthintendo said:
I've not heard of entropay before, are they trustworthy at all, what kind of fees do they charge?

I used them for my first year of Xbox Live and used one on PSN too. Its trust-worthy, but I know some services do block virtual cards so I'd maybe investigate to see if other people have used them on eShop first.

Its a pre-paid virtual card solution, and there are no monthly fees or anything... they charge 4.95% on top-ups to the card (approx 50 cents per $10). Transferring funds from the card back to your bank account also incurs a charge (£3/$6USD).

I have an Entropay card, I used it for PSN in the past. Will try it with eShop tomorrow, but I don't have much hope. I believe Entropay is based in UK, so if Nintendo is blocking all out-of-region cards then chances are it's not going to work either. Worth a shot though.

Naked Snake said:
I have an Entropay card, I used it for PSN in the past. Will try it with eShop tomorrow, but I don't have much hope. I believe Entropay is based in UK, so if Nintendo is blocking all out-of-region cards then chances are it's not going to work either. Worth a shot though.
Are there any good US based virtual card services that would be worth looking into?

mclem

AndyMoogle said:
Tetris, Tetris DX, Qix, Kirbys Pinball Land and Mystic Quest are also good. Not to mention all the Pokemon games.

EDIT: I forgot a few... Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Tetris Attack. Probably some more I'm forgetting.

Oooh. I wonder if they can release Tilt 'n' Tumble! How comprehensive is their emulator?

BooJoh

bigjimmystyle said:
Are all the DSiWare games available in the US? Aus Shop has only a select few.
Go to the menu and click Search, choose DSiWare and apply the filter, you should get a list of them all 20 at a time. The "DSiWare Favorites" is only like 20 featured items per week.

Mafro

BooJoh said:
Go to the menu and click Search, choose DSiWare and apply the filter, you should get a list of them all 20 at a time. The "DSiWare Favorites" is only like 20 featured items per week.
Am I missing something, or is there no way to sort the titles by name once you've done that?

Pydte

AndyMoogle said:
It doesn't seem like this update fixes the glitch where the charge light never turns off while charging in the cradle.
I can confirm that the new update, indeed, fixes the LED bug. Yesterday, before I went to sleep, I left my 3DS in its cradle, and when I woke up this morning the light was off and the system fully charged.

Another thing, did anyone notice the subtle music playing while browsing the eShop? Has it been there since it launched last week? I noticed it for the first time yesterday when I was downloading Donkey Kong. Perhaps another addition from the latest firmware?

womp

dock said:
the lack of Super Game Boy colour support is really upsetting. It's upsetting on the game boy player too, and upsetting on the Game Boy Color... but it's even more disappointing here where they're selling it as a standalone product.

I bought DK94 just a couple of months ago to play on my gameboy player, but I am glad to buy it again to have a portable copy.

It really feels like Nintendo purposely insulting hardcore fans by ignoring Super Game Boy support. I appreciate that it's important for them to get a Mario and a Donkey Kong game on the system ASAP, but it would have been so nice to have Super GB colour support. :(

edit: and womp is breaking hearts with his misleading photo ;_;
Sorry man. Mine is broken too. :(

I snagged it from the eShop when I came home from work last night and played the first two worlds. It plays great. Not to break hearts even more but the game looks a lot better in SuperGameboy mode running on the DS emulator than what Nintendo put out officially IMO. Not only for the obvious reasons of added color pallette but for whatever reason it looks crisper than the zoomed in mode of the eShop release.

I am just bummed that my original cart has a dead battery. :(

BTW, how do you change the graphics from gray to green? Wasn't that an option for GB eShop releases?

GeekyDad

Your absolute favorite (non-puzzle game) 500 point/$5 DSiWare title? Getting Starship Defense, so that's already a gimmie. But I'm looking for other considerations in the $5 range.

womp said:
BTW, how do you change the graphics from gray to green? Wasn't that an option for GB eShop releases?
Hold R+L and press Y, I think.
GeekyDad said:
Your absolute favorite (non-puzzle game) 500 point/$5 DSiWare title? Getting Starship Defense, so that's already a gimmie. But I'm looking for other considerations in the $5 range.
For something completely different, AlphaBounce. It's an Arkanoid/brick-smashing game, but with a big nonlinear quest. You traverse a map (each square being a stage), and gain new powerups so you might have a longer paddle, or multiple balls, or balls that do more damage, or move more than one square at a time on the main map.

So I tried Entropay

Nintendo 3DS eShop said:
Error Code: 005-6511

This credit card cannot be used.

:(

I read that prepared cards should be more widely available by end of June. They can be found in some stores already supposedly. Can't find anyone selling them online.

Naked Snake said:
So I tried Entropay

:(

I read that prepared cards should be more widely available by end of June. They can be found in some stores already supposedly. Can't find anyone selling them online.
Do you know anyone in the States? They could e-mail you the code. Paypal them $20.

Top Bottom