• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo First-Party Thread: The Teams, The Games, The Future

Trevelyan

Banned
Tbh I really want a western oriented IP from them. If Sony could get their studios to transition from Jak and Daxter to Uncharted, then I don't see why an amazing studio like Retro can't either.

There is one game I would be happy with though if it's not a new IP and that is 3D DK.

This is the last thing I want. I don't want a 'western' or 'eastern' IP from Nintendo. I just want Nintendo to do Nintendo and make Nintendo-like games.

This is the last thing I want. I don't want a 'western' or 'eastern' IP from Nintendo. I just want Nintendo to do Nintendo and make Nintendo-like games.
Yeah I disagree. It's not like they're making a straight up Uncharted game. I want Nintendo's take (Retro's) with their philosophy behind a western oriented IP.

We got great new IP's and different take in specific genres with ARMS and Splatoon. I want Retro to do the same.

morromocotudo

Neo Member
Formerly there were 12 production units (SPD 1-3, SDD, Katsuya Yamano group, EAD Kyoto 1-5 and EAD Tokyo 1-2), so one of them has been dismantled. Probably EAD Tokyo 1 (Takao Shimizu) or EAD Kyoto 4 (Hiroyuki Kimura).

TheMoon

Formerly there were 12 production units (SPD 1-3, SDD, Katsuya Yamano group, EAD Kyoto 1-5 and EAD Tokyo 1-2), so one of them has been dismantled. Probably EAD Tokyo 1 (Takao Shimizu) or EAD Kyoto 4 (Hiroyuki Kimura).

I'd wager it's more that the external production groups got consolidated?

morromocotudo

Neo Member
I'd wager it's more that the external production groups got consolidated?

I don't think so, the producers and directors who were part of SPD continue to work as if they were still in different production units.

Recent titles:

Games produced/directed by key people from the former SPD 1 (Hitoshi Yamagami, Genki Yokota, Kenta Nakanishi): Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Pokémon Sun/Moon, Kirby Planet Robobot...

Games produced by key people from the former SPD 2 (Kensuke Tanabe, Risa Tabata, Akiya Sakamoto, Yoshihito Ikebata, Ryuichi Nakada): Paper Mario: Color Splash, Metroid Prime: Federation Force, Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge.

Games produced/directed by key people from the former SPD 3 (Toyokazu Nonaka, Toshiharu Izuno, Emi Watanabe, Yoshinori Tsuchiyama...): Ever Oasis, Mario Sports Superstars, Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Party: Star Rush, Mario Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games...

TheMoon

SPD1 was Sakamoto's weird special group + YAmano
SPD 2 was Yamagami & co
SPD 3 was Kerasaki, Tanabe & co btw
SPD 4 was Sato, Izuno & co

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
What is Skip Ltd up to? I mean they're second party technically, right? but still thats a special team and im incredibly curious. Does the makeup of the studio even vaguely resemble the people who were around when art style games hit for wii and ds?

There isn't like an official list of "second-party" games or developers from like corporate Nintendo. Sometimes Nintendo has used the term in the past to represent the essence of a second developer working with Nintendo on a project... "hence second-party".

morromocotudo

Neo Member
SPD1 was Sakamoto's weird special group + YAmano
SPD 2 was Yamagami & co
SPD 3 was Kerasaki, Tanabe & co btw
SPD 4 was Sato, Izuno & co

The SPD groups were renamed around 2013:

SPD 1 --> Unknown name
SPD 2 --> SPD1
SPD 3 --> SPD2
SPD 4 --> SPD3

Nintendo listed Hitoshi Yamagami and Genki Yokota as members of SPD group nº1 in the E3 2013 and E3 2015 press kits:

2Xh7ZTk.png

In an interview for Fatal Frame/Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water, Toshiharu Izuno and Akira Otani were listed as members of SPD group nº3 (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1216101):

goXsChU.png

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

SPD 1 --> Unknown name
SPD 2 --> SPD1
SPD 3 --> SPD2
SPD 4 --> SPD3

Nintendo listed Hitoshi Yamagami and Genki Yokota as members of SPD group nº1 in the E3 2013 and E3 2015 press kits:

2Xh7ZTk.png

In an interview for Fatal Frame/Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water, Toshiharu Izuno and Akira Otani were listed as members of SPD group nº3 (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1216101):

goXsChU.png

Right!

This was done when Sakamoto was promoted to General Manager of SPD, from his former Manager of SPD Production Group No. 1 role. We never actually found out what his old SPD team was reassigned to since the EPD restructure happened before we got anymore info.

TheMoon

SPD 1 --> Unknown name
SPD 2 --> SPD1
SPD 3 --> SPD2
SPD 4 --> SPD3

2Xh7ZTk.png

goXsChU.png

Oh right, I remember this now. Sorry. I actually noticed this myself in the 2015 bio of Yamagami and got confused ...but have since forgotten it again apparently. :D

I'll just pretend it's a clever way from me to make you dig up sources and collect them hear for future reference. :p

Isn't that Intelligent Systems? I recall they're not internal.
They might as well be internal. They don't make games for other publishers nor do they self publish, and Nintendo has some ownership of the studio. They are basically headquartered at Nintendo, their building is next door.

Banned
Although GameFreak is kind of second party, I can't wait for mainline Pokemon on the Switch, that's going to be freaking huge

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I wonder if Nintendo will with the success of Switch build up more/bigger internal groups/teams and/or making acquisitions or build new studios (instead of this going the way of the Wii success)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I wonder if Nintendo will with the success of Switch build up more/bigger internal groups/teams and/or making acquisitions or build new studios (instead of this going the way of the Wii success)

They remained conservative during the Wii and DS explosion. They increment their staff size marginally each year.

ITSMILNER

Something i have been thinking of lately, what do you think Nintendo do with the BotW engine next?

They did say they planned to ise it as a main engine right? What project could they use this on next? I still think Game freaks should use it as a base for Switch Pokemon

I wonder what Pokémon will look like on the Switch. Didn't they said it would be different because they're designing it for a console now. Plus, it's back to single screen.

I'm very excited to see what they come up with. I really want a sequel to Red and Blue or a game where you go back to Kanto in general.

Zedark

I wonder what Pokémon will look like on the Switch. Didn't they said it would be different because they're designing it for a console now. Plus, it's back to single screen.

I'm very excited to see what they come up with. I really want a sequel to Red and Blue or a game where you go back to Kanto in general.

If they are going to utilise the Switch to create a brand new pokémon experience gameplay wise (though of course still the turn-based gameplay we know and love), then I'd like them to work on a new entry instead, so they're not constraint by the limits of the existing map in redesigning the pokémon formula.

Personally I don't believe for one second Pokémon is going to have anything other than some relatively minor adjustments, though.

Xun

Something i have been thinking of lately, what do you think Nintendo do with the BotW engine next?

They did say they planned to ise it as a main engine right? What project could they use this on next? I still think Game freaks should use it as a base for Switch Pokemon
Aonuma's "thief" game?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
So here's the Western line-up for first party published games:

0ulkcvl.png

Out of these games, 3.5 were developed by 3rd parties (FEW by Koei Tecmo, Flip Wars by Overfence, Pokken by BAMCO and SnipperClips by SFB games with EPD help). 11 first party games in the West this year, of which 4 can be played on other platforms in some way (FEW on N3DS, Pokken, MK8 and Zelda on Wii U). Also to note, EPD released 6.5 games this year.

And here's my prediction for FEW and Xenoblade Chronicles 2's release dates:

e3jiUVj.png

(Mario + Rabbids included in the second picture because it's first party in my heat)

Snipperclips was assisted by NST and produced by EPD.

Thraktor

My understanding of EPD is that all their internal projects effectively use the same engine, just customised for each game. So whatever tech they've developed for BoTW will be available for any upcoming games that may need it.

It doesn't ever seem to leave the doors of EPD, though, so I wouldn't count on Pokemon ever using it. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them use UE4 for their Switch instalments, though, as Nintendo seem to be pushing their partner studios to use it (e.g. Good Feel, NLG) and it's well capable of matching Pokemon's graphical style.

JB2448

Is it first party published in the West? The box art I've seen had "Bethesda" on it and not Nintendo.
Yeah, they announced it at E3:
That's not accurate. Mario + Rabbids is being published by Ubisoft and Skyrim is being published by Bethesda, according to Nintendo's pages for the games.
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle-switch
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-switch
It's not unheard of for some of the bigger third party releases on a platform to have assets on the platform holder's press page.

TheMoon

That's not accurate. Mario + Rabbids is being published by Ubisoft and Skyrim is being published by Bethesda, according to Nintendo's pages for the games.
It's not unheard of for some of the bigger third party releases on a platform to have assets on the platform holder's press page.

No, the page is what's not accurate. :)

Their E3 press site (a screencap of which you can look at in the post you quoted) had Skyrim specifically listed as published by them. M+R is Ubisoft, though. But nobody was talking about that.

Pokemaniac

Realistically this is what Pokemon Switch will look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3dGdqCuhfE

Same engine as SM, barely any graphical or gameplay improvements knowing GameFreak.

That's what would have happened if "Stars" had actually materialized.

Different generations of Pokémon usually do look substantially different from each other. I suspect they'll keep going for the same general "Sugimori art in 3D" art direction that they've been using since X and Y, but the level of detail could very well be much greater.

ITSMILNER

I wouldn't mind them keeping the graphical style simple with the same viewpoint if they made a larger world the included Kanto, Johto etc... complete with all there own gyms/competitions

Shiggy

That web page wasn't updated after E3.

No. They have never reused an engine for two different generations, it will be a brand new engine built for Switch. That doesn't mean it will take full advantage of its power though.
Since the DS days, I felt they rarely pushed the system. They were struggling with the 3DS. I hope one day they realize- it would be easier to just outsource the bulk of the work to Monolith soft or something.

jmizzal

Skyrim Switch is published by Nintendo didnt know that, I guess it will come out in Nov then maybe Nintendo wanted to give them a bone and some breathing room to sale, and yes Xenoblade 2 is likely Dec

Pokemaniac

No. They have never reused an engine for two different generations, it will be a brand new engine built for Switch. That doesn't mean it will take full advantage of its power though.

I mean, I'm pretty sure they've been just upgrading the same engine since Gen III because I'm pretty sure that's how long they've been accumulating key items (fun fact, Game Freak seems to not remove any key items between gens, including ones that were originally unused), but the overall point that it changes substantially between Generations still stands.

ITSMILNER

I just hope Game Freak deliver on what fans have been wanting for a console Pokemon RPG.

Now thats ARMS is out, do we think the team are now working on a new Mario Kart installment? It doesn't look like MK8: Deluxe will be getting DLC so I wonder if we may see a new entry in 2-3 years?

I just hope Game Freak deliver on what fans have been wanting for a console Pokemon RPG.

Now thats ARMS is out, do we think the team are now working on a new Mario Kart installment? It doesn't look like MK8: Deluxe will be getting DLC so I wonder if we may see a new entry in 2-3 years?
I would like to see the Mario Kart/Arms team work on a different ip. Whether it is a new ip or working on a pre-existing one, I'd like to see them do something different. While it is still early, MK8D seems to be performing like every other Mario Kart title and will sell well for the rest of the console's lifetime. Nintendo typically doesn't release two Mario Kart titles on a console.

Personally speaking, I'd love to see the team try Star Fox. Have the game split into three modes Classic, Lylat Wars, and Dog Fight. Classic mode is a traditional SF/SF64 style on-rails campaign with branching paths. First playthrough can be completed in an hour/hour and a half. However, it is designed to be replayed numerous times. It also has local co-op. As in SF64's campaign, there are dogfights. This time the arwings have different and more advanced mecha transformations that can be used in dogfights. Each arwing is equipped with one special alternative mecha transformation. Mecha transformations designed to offer more variety in combat options in dog fights. Lylat Wars is a side-game mode that has a strategy aspect to it. The Lylat galaxy is divided between two teams control. At the start of the game you select which four pilots you want on your team. And face another team of four pilots for control of the Galaxy. Goal of the game is to defeat the other players two bases and Mothership as well as defend your own. Start of the match you decide which planets/locations to put your two bases on. Matches are turn based where each player has the opportunity to move their pilot across the galaxy and then allowing their opponent to do the same. When pilots confront each other they engage in a dogfight. Each pilot has 3 lives- after they lose a life they are revived back at their Mothership. Can be played by 1-8 players local and online multiplayer. Final mode, dogfight mode where you can select one of 12 pilots to play as. Each of them have multiple different ships to select from which come equipped with a unique laser system, alternative mecha and stats. From their you can select from a wide variety of maps to fight people online or locally in dogfight matches. Can be played by 8-16 players online or local.

I'm not going to have any expectations of Game freak's Pokemon entry on Switch. The series has a lot more potential as an ip to explore but I feel that often times Game freak and Pokémon spinoffs in general do the bare minimum in terms of effort. I'd like to see some more ambitious projects for the series in addition to the more traditional mainline Pokemon titles.

We have no idea about Nintendo's plans with the Switch. In the past, they had a console and a handheld to support, but that most likely won't happen this time. If they're going to do incremental upgrades like they usually do with handhelds (and Sony and MS are doing now, too), and actually make use of the additional power (which they only did with Xenoblade on New 3DS), they might want to release a new Mario Kart game. Noone knows, of course, but I think this could be the generation where they ditch that one-MK-per-system model.

ITSMILNER

What is the likely hood Switch gets the HD port of Twilight Princess? Was thinking of playing it on Wii U soon but would rather play it handheld on Switch

DKPOWPOW

So I'm guessing we still have no idea what Retro is working on. So strange for them to be quiet this long, and not even a snippet of news or even a tease.

I mean it's been nearly 4 years since their last game (I think?). Prime 4 is apparently developed by a new team, and no sign of them helping with Samus Returns makes me wonder...

Can it really be a new DK game? This seems too long, unless it's some crazy open world jungle game with wild life and everything (Zelda and Mario mishmashed with DK's power and agility)?

I can imagine it, but my gut says no. It's something else. Something different, odd, and yet cool.

EXCiTE!?!?

Lol I wish... 😛

There's no way we pass E3 2018 without knowing what Retro is working on.

I really hope we get a brand new Direct this upcoming week or two for some new announcements.

I feel like Retro has to be working on either another Donkey Kong game or a new IP at this point. Maybe both? A reboot of an old franchise like Startropics or something may as well become a new series.

Top Bottom