• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo First-Party Thread: The Teams, The Games, The Future

That would be the best case scenario. I think most of the production groups are being encouraged to at least have one new IP alongside a flagship traditional franchise.

How would you feel about that Samus Returns engine for it? Aonuma probably has plans to remake/remaster one classic Zelda sometime soon.

You have more knowledge about this then I do. However, BotW was a fairly large team. A lot of the development went into developing the engine and world. The next 3D Zelda will likely just expand on the BotW engine rather than create a while new one. In theory, could this save on resources enough to split the BotW team up into two teams? One for a new and/or different ip and the other for the next 3D Zelda. Aonuma said, when doing interviews around BotW release, that there was a separate 2D/Handheld Zelda team working on their next project. He showed off a 2D prototype of BotW and said he was pushing the 2D Zelda team to do new and different things. I think we could see their next project in 2018 on Switch. They haven't released anything since ALBW in 2013, although they did assist Grezzio with the releases of MM3D and Triforce Heroes.

Whatever works best. :)

I'm sure Aonuma could partner his "second unit" team (stealing from the film word, B-team always sounds so judgmental) to guide even just MercurySteam again to build out their designs for it. Since they rock at using the 3D apparently (which I still have not seen ...thanks for nothing NOE).
I'm hoping Samus Returns sells well enough for Mercury Steam to start work on Metroid V for Switch. If they began work for it shortly after Samus Returns' release, they could have it ready in time to do another Fusion/Prime style release.

As for Zelda 2 Remake, I think that would be a good project for Grezzio to work on Switch for. I could also see them enlist Tantalus to do a SS HD Remake. If there were enough resources and time for the Zelda team, I'd love to see this happen:

Team 1: 2D Zelda and remakes
Team 2: Zelda DLC in 2017 then 3D Zelda. Planning and prototypes started after BotW's completion but development will start once the DLC is complete
Team 3: New IP began development after BotW completion with 2 year development being the goal. Then Sheik spin-off with a two year development time as well.

2018- New 2D Zelda
2019- New IP and Zelda 2 remake
2020- New 3D Zelda and Hyrule x Fire Emblem Warriors
2021- Sheik Spin-off and SS remake

Never gonna be released that quickly.

A Zelda 2 remake really does make a lot of sense the more I think about it. I noticed their pattern of remaking the odd-duck sequel with Gaiden and Samus Returns, even as far back as starting off Super Mario Advance with SMB2.

You can even note how Link Between Worlds owes itself to A Link to the Past, and Breath of the Wild to Zelda 1. With the series re-examining its roots and giving them a modern reinvention, doing Zelda 2 seems like a perfect fit.

Retro finished working on Tropical Freeze in ~August 2013 iirc. We're looking at a possible five years of development time. Hope that means it's massive in scope.

Actually I suppose it's possible they finished the game a while ago and Nintendo decided to shelve it until next year because they felt the lineup for 2017 was good enough already?

Emily Rogers guessed this back when she was still doing rumors... Do other people think this could be the case?

Would be excited to see their new game soon.

radcliff

What is going on with Nintendo's partnership with Digipen Singapore? They announced DigiPen Game Studios back in July 2015 and we have heard nothing so far.

A Zelda 2 remake really does make a lot of sense the more I think about it. I noticed their pattern of remaking the odd-duck sequel with Gaiden and Samus Returns, even as far back as starting off Super Mario Advance with SMB2.

You can even note how Link Between Worlds owes itself to A Link to the Past, and Breath of the Wild to Zelda 1. With the series re-examining its roots and giving them a modern reinvention, doing Zelda 2 seems like a perfect fit.

Isn't that basically Dark Souls.

Isn't that basically Dark Souls.

Monolith Soft remaking Zelda 2 confirmed (since Monolith Soft is making a Souls-like).

But I don't really know if that's the exact and only comparison? Zelda 2 has a completely different exploration vs. combat structure than Dark Souls and there are plenty of RPGs out there. Making an RPG hard and non-linear doesn't make it Dark Souls.

DMONKUMA

Emily Rogers guessed this back when she was still doing rumors... Do other people think this could be the case?

Would be excited to see their new game soon.

I honestly feel we might see it not anytime soon, most likely next E3. We've had a poster on here said that they are working on a DK title with David Wise(poster also knew about David's involvement in Snake Pass before it was even revealed). They even said that we wouldn't see the DK game anytime soon.

I honestly feel we might see it not anytime soon, most likely next E3. We've had a poster on here said that they are working on a DK title with David Wise(poster also knew about David's involvement in Snake Pass before it was even revealed). They even said that we wouldn't see the DK game anytime soon.

Would seem weird to take 5 years to make a platformer.

DMONKUMA

Would seem weird to take 5 years to make a platformer.

Thing is they never specifically said was another 2D game. Could possible be another type of DK game. Though of course I dunno if they would straight up do that. Also I share the sentiment that it would be weird for them to be spending this amount of time on a 2D platformer.

I just think this person has some legitimacy since it seems that got this info from David wise himself.

They're making an action game, but who said it's a Souls-like?

Probably the people that got the idea from the concept art that was shown. Hopefully the combat is really good tho.

Monolith Soft remaking Zelda 2 confirmed (since Monolith Soft is making a Souls-like).

But I don't really know if that's the exact and only comparison? Zelda 2 has a completely different exploration vs. combat structure than Dark Souls and there are plenty of RPGs out there. Making an RPG hard and non-linear doesn't make it Dark Souls.

They're making an action game, but who said it's a Souls-like?

Thing is they never specifically said was another 2D game. Could possible be another type of DK game. Though of course I dunno if they would straight up do that.

Also I share the sentiment that it would be weird for them to be spending this amount of time on a 2D platformer.

I don't know if any 3D platformer has ever taken five years to make either.

Development times:

Mario Galaxy 1: 3 years
Mario Galaxy 2: 2-2.5 years
Mario Odyssey: 3-4 years (depending on if the game was finished back when the Switch launched which is heavily rumored)

And other games have taken far less time.

DMONKUMA

Development times:

Mario Odyssey: 3-4 years (depending on if the game was finished back when the Switch launched which is heavily rumored)

Yeah I guess that makes sense, tbh I kinda just hope this is not DK or Metroid and just something new.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Development times:

Galaxy 2 was also developed alongside NPC: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Flipnote Studio. So the team was spread around (with a few new staffers at the time).

I'm guessing:

2018: Smash 5, Retro Studios, Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Pikimin 4/Mario Maker 2
2019: Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, Xenosouls

And then obvious uncertainty.

gabbo

I'm guessing:

2018: Smash 5, Retro Studios, Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Pikimin 4/Mario Maker 2

When was the last time we heard about what Retro was doing? I don't mean this as a dickish comment, I legitimately don't remember the last time we heard/saw anything from them.

Come on we're gonna get Retros game next year

Wait people believe that person who said Retro is making something DK related? I pray it's 3D DK and not Diddy Kong Racing.

Trevelyan

Banned
I'm guessing:

I can see most of this. However, I'd move MM2 to 2019 along with a new 2D Zelda, and slot in Animal Crossing for next fall.

Hmm, Animal Crossing just started development didn't it? Splatoon 2 was just released.

Highly unlikely to be the same team. Each developer within EPD tends to have multiple projects going on at one time.

Though it's possible now that core development of Splatoon 2 has wrapped, some will work on updates, while others move onto another active project, like Animal Crossing (which has likely been in full production for awhile now).

VDenter

Banned
Chances of Retro working on DK are slim.If it was another DK Country game it would not take four years to complete especially since they already have the HD assets from Tropical Freeze. I would not hold my breath for a 3D DK game because who in their right mind would think that making a sequel to one of the worst 3D platformers ever made is a good idea.

I suppose it's possible that Retro may have had a cancelled project in the last few years as well. Which would explain the long silence.

Say, they worked on something for a year but it didn't pan out. So they had to start anew.

It's just a theory of course.

Could also be that whatever they're working on required them to build a new engine and toolchain. Which would add some time to development.

Chances of Retro working on DK are slim.If it was another DK Country game it would not take four years to complete especially since they already have the HD assets from Tropical Freeze. I would not hold my breath for a 3D DK game because who in their right mind would think that making a sequel to one of the worst 3D platformers ever made is a good idea.

But DK64 was made from Rare. That game has nothing to do with Retro and Retro keeps making great game after great game. They could come up with something much better than what Rare came up with.

TheMoon

Highly unlikely to be the same team. Each developer within EPD tends to have multiple projects going on at one time.

Though it's possible now that core development of Splatoon 2 has wrapped, some will work on updates, while others move onto another active project, like Animal Crossing (which has likely been in full production for awhile now).

those set "teams" only consist of producers/directors and maybe some leads anyway. they're not full "teams" from a-z

Do you think Sakurai is happy or annoyed that Mario Odyssey is basically the first 3D Kirby game?

DCtrcPFU0AEYVdT.jpg

In all seriousness, I don't think he really cares because he hasn't worked on the Kirby series in over a decade at this point.

I need to know what Sakuria is working on! I forgot about him. I assumed there's a Smash port and he's not very involved in it.

I've seen some people that think he may be directing the Kirby action game on 3DS.

Not sure what I would think about that. I'd obviously need to see it first. All I know is that there would be meltdowns.

I've seen some people that think he may be directing the Kirby action game on 3DS.

Not sure what I would think about that. I'd obviously need to see it first. All I know is that there would be meltdowns.

Yeah idk if I want that. Speaking of that we still haven't seen it and they said it was coming this holiday. We have to get a Nintendo Direct like a week or two after Mario +Rabbids releases.

Yeah idk if I want that. Speaking of that we still haven't seen it and they said it was coming this holiday. We have to get a Nintendo Direct like a week or two after Mario +Rabbids releases.

I'm actually a bit surprised that they didn't have one right before Gamescom. That's Europe's biggest gaming event. Then there's also PAX West next weekend, which Nintendo had some focus on last couple of years too (they're having a Nindies@Night event again this year too). It seems more logical for me to do a Direct right before these events than shortly after...

Does anyone else think MP4 started development last year? Idc about them showing a logo at E3 btw.

We had a few people here saying they heard 2 Metroid games were in development and I think one of them said they heard that last year. Combine this with Reggies Metroid comment in January, I think this game is further along than most believe. I'm still pulling for 2018.

Also, Sakamoto's comment helps.

I'm actually a bit surprised that they didn't have one right before Gamescom. That's Europe's biggest gaming event. Then there's also PAX West next weekend, which Nintendo had some focus on last couple of years too (they're having a Nindies@Night event again this year too). It seems more logical for me to do a Direct right before these events than shortly after...

I thought we would get one before all of this, but I was wrong. We have games without dates and we haven't seen the 3DS Kirby game that's supposed to release this holiday. Unless they plan on putting trailers out to announce it, they have to reveal it in a Direct.

September makes the most sense because it's after all these events. It's kind of a dead month. If they don't do one in September, then I'm guessing they won't do one until November/December to go over the Spring 2018 titles. They have to show Yoshi Switch and Kirby Switch.

Does anyone else think MP4 started development last year? Idc about them showing a logo at E3 btw.

We had a few people here saying they heard 2 Metroid games were in development and I think one of them said they heard that last year. Combine this with Reggies Metroid comment in January, I think this game is further along than most believe. I'm still pulling for 2018.

Also, Sakamoto's comment helps.

I thought we would get one before all of this, but I was wrong. We have games without dates and we haven't seen the 3DS Kirby game that's supposed to release this holiday. Unless they plan on putting trailers out to announce it, they have to reveal it in a Direct.

September makes the most sense because it's after all these events. It's kind of a dead month. If they don't do one in September, then I'm guessing they won't do one until November/December to go over the Spring 2018 titles. They have to show Yoshi Switch and Kirby Switch.

There does seem to be a lot pointing to Metroid Prime 4 being in Development longer than some think. I don't think they had plans to reveal MP4 but decided to late to avoid any backlash against Samus Returns being 3DS only.

I think we'll get a Direct relatively soon. I won't be surprised if we have to wait a couple of weeks, but if they do it tomorrow, I won't be surprised either.

There does seem to be a lot pointing to Metroid Prime 4 being in Development longer than some think. I don't think they had plans to reveal MP4 but decided to late to avoid any backlash against Samus Returns being 3DS only.

I think this is the case, yeah.

Bluth54

Not everyone from the Animal Crossing/Splatoon team is working on Splatoon 2. I wouldn't be surprised if they started on it years ago.

I wonder if maybe Nintendo was working on an Animal Crossing for Wii U but decided to push it back to Switch because of poor Wii U sales. It just seems crazy the big game they had to sell Animal Crossing Amiibo was Mario Party without the minigames.

Put me down for Retro making Diddy Kong Racing 2
I would personally rather see Monster Games do a Diddy Kong Racing type game assuming they aren't working on another project.

Top Bottom