• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo First-Party Thread: The Teams, The Games, The Future

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, Nintendo probably would have delayed Xenoblade 2 to 2018 if they had nothing for early 2018 right?

But it's getting close to 2018 and they still only have Kirby confirmed for Spring 2018.

I expect a lot of announcements to happen in December and January. Right now, they're just going to focus on this holiday season. But, if I had to guess, Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Smash, Animal Crossing, Retro's project, Next Level Games's project, Pikmin 4, Platinum ports, and maybe a couple others are on the calendar for 2018. That should be a pretty solid lineup, and I expect we'll see 3-4 retail titles from Nintendo (the first 3-4 in my list) in January through June.

I think they'll stick to the January "blow the lid off the coming year" tradition going forth. Kimishima's Nintendo's MO so far has been playing their cards really close to their chest.

Agreed.

GamerJM

Banned
I expect a lot of announcements to happen in December and January. Right now, they're just going to focus on this holiday season. But, if I had to guess, Kirby, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Smash, Animal Crossing, Retro's project, Next Level Games's project, Pikmin 4, Platinum ports, and maybe a couple others are on the calendar for 2018. That should be a pretty solid lineup, and I expect we'll see 3-4 retail titles from Nintendo (the first 3-4 in my list) in January through June.

JFC that's a lot. I'd have to guess that at least a couple of those are scheduled for 2019 (or aren't at all, I'm starting to doubt Smash 4 port though we'll see). I'd also guess there's some smaller stuff though, like Mario Party and something else a little similar to 1-2 Switch.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
JFC that's a lot. I'd have to guess that at least a couple of those are scheduled for 2019 (or aren't at all, I'm starting to doubt Smash 4 port though we'll see). I'd also guess there's some smaller stuff though, like Mario Party and something else a little similar to 1-2 Switch.

I agree that it's a lot, but I'm pretty sure all of those teams should be ready to go (except maybe Smash, depending on if it's a port or not). I could, however, see games getting held for 2019 if it's better from a software release schedule perspective.

Thores

I feel like a Q1/Q2 2018 game we don't know about yet is going to get revealed at the Nintendo World Championships next month, as a surprise game the contestants will have to compete in. Similar to how Blast Ball was revealed during 2015's Championships.

My guess is Smash 4 Deluxe, or whatever Next Level Games is working on. Also, if we don't see Smash 4 Deluxe at NWC, I feel like they're working on a new Smash Bros that won't release till 2019 at the earliest.

Also kirbyfan's predictions aren't half bad, but I disagree with Fire Emblem Switch coming out in the first half of the year. Maybe in Japan, but that's a Fall release in the West, at the earliest.

Kind of thinking that Mario Party The Top 100 is a stopgap for the next title in the series. It seems to have no boards and is just all minigames. The same guy has directed all the Mario Party games since 9, with the exception of Island Tour so we'll just have to see.

Also, I'm kind of surprised that Kirby is a spring release. I thought Yoshi would be spring and Kirby would be summer. Though there's nothing stopping Nintendo from announcing Yoshi for a spring release in the next direct, whenever that is.

Regarding Fire Emblem, if Xenoblade can get a worldwide release, Fire Emblem can as well. Nintendo has been doing pretty well with their worldwide launches for 1st party games on Switch. I remember them saying in the FE direct that they're targeting 2018. So I think they'll make it but it will be in the second half of the year.

Edit: Actually Mario Party may have boards after all
http://marioparty100.nintendo.com/
You can even set the number of turns for board-game play!
Seems like a weird thing to advertise. You could do that in any MP game.

So we had a Direct and what's next for Nintendo? Maybe one Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct and then a end of the year Direct?

I still have strong beliefs Nintendo is showing something at the Game Awards...Metroid Prime 4 😁

Thores

So we had a Direct and what's next for Nintendo? Maybe one Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct and then a end of the year Direct?

I still have strong beliefs Nintendo is showing something at the Game Awards...Metroid Prime 4 😁
The Nintendo World Championships are next month, at least one reveal of some kind is likely. I imagine the next Direct not focused on a single game/franchise will be in January, but as this thread has demonstrated, those are hard to predict.

Nintendo has been bringing stuff to The Game Awards a couple years in a row now, so some kind of announcement seems probable. It feels a little too soon to see anything Metroid Prime 4 related, but that would be a fantastic audience for it.

I mean, Nintendo probably would have delayed Xenoblade 2 to 2018 if they had nothing for early 2018 right?

Yeah, probably. Nintendo has no problem delaying finished games for months in order to fill out their lineup. Early 2018 is likely to have plenty to play on Switch.

Also kirbyfan's predictions aren't half bad, but I disagree with Fire Emblem Switch coming out in the first half of the year. Maybe in Japan, but that's a Fall release in the West, at the earliest.

Nintendo seems to be aiming for global releases with their major Switch games. Fire Emblem, whenever it launches, will probably release everywhere at the same time.

MoonFrog

I hope Fire Emblem is February-May or something. No idea if it is actually that close.

That'd be a good start.

I'm assuming Retro's got to be Spring (2-5), late summer/early fall (so 8-9), or late holiday 2018 (12). I think it has got to be next year now and I don't think it will be one of their absolute blockbuster releases, but rather for the dedicated audience (i.e. I don't see it headlining the summer or the holiday season).

Watch them not even show up at all next year :p.

Maybe Metroid is actually next year. I hope so :).

Smash, AC, 2D Mario, and Pokemon are of course big things to watch out for. I'd think Nintendo has one of those for next year at least. They're the biggest remaining holes in Switch's library, from an evergreen and system driving perspective.

TheMoon

I hope Fire Emblem is February-May or something. No idea if it is actually that close.

That'd be a good start.

I'm assuming Retro's got to be Spring (2-5), late summer/early fall (so 8-9), or late holiday 2018 (12). I think it has got to be next year now and I don't think it will be one of their absolute blockbuster releases, but rather for the dedicated audience (i.e. I don't see it headlining the summer or the holiday season).

Watch them not even show up at all next year :p.

Maybe Metroid is actually next year. I hope so :).

Smash, AC, 2D Mario, and Pokemon are of course big things to watch out for. I'd think Nintendo has one of those for next year at least. They're the biggest remaining holes in Switch's library, from an evergreen and system driving perspective.

No way in hell are they gonna have that out a year after Echoes.

Peléo

I think 2018 will be an even better year for the Switch in terms of software output volume. Nintendo has done a great job in keeping the momentum and we know they have a hand full of cards to play. 3rd Parties that were a bit unsure about the Switch will starr bringing their titles & indies will be more familiar to the console's archicture.

I think from a first party perspective the year will look something like:

Kirby
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Pikmin 4
Animal Crossing
2D Mario
Retro's game
Sakurai's game
Next Level Games
Platinum's game
New IP, Arm's scope
1 Collaboration game
1 or 2 HD ports (Donkey Kong, Bayonetta, Metroid Prime, Captain Toad)

TheMoon

Peléo;248986812 said:
I think 2018 will be an even better year for the Switch in terms of software output volume. Nintendo has done a great job in keeping the momentum and we know they have a hand full of cards to play. 3rd Parties that were a bit unsure about the Switch will starr bringing their titles & indies will be more familiar to the console's archicture.

Kirby
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Pikmin 4
Animal Crossing
2D Mario
Retro's game
Sakurai's game
Next Level Games
Platinum's game
New IP, Arm's scope
1 Collaboration game

you're unrealistically optimistic thinking Retro AND Sakurai AND Next Level AND Platinum AND all of these others will be coming out in one year. You have one and a half to two years worth of output there.

I agree with Kirbyfan's predictions. The only thing I would say is I can see things like Pikmin 4, Next Level Games, and other things like Mario Sports/RPG being saved until 2019+ (as early as it seems to say that).

Fire Emblem games have usually launched spring (April) around the earliest and late summer at the latest. So Q2/Q3 for FE Switch sounds totally doable. That'll be just over 3 years since Fates.

Animal Crossing seems like a lock for 2018 imo. I think that and Smash are two of the biggest "system-seller" IPs they could bring out, and it'd be one of the best ways to win over the handheld crowd. I'm not sure when exactly it'd come out; I feel like AC is the kind of game that can do well pretty much any time it releases. So it could be part of a kickin' holiday lineup, or you can drop it in spring/summer and I think that'd work great too.

Peléo;248986812 said:
Kirby
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Pikmin 4
Animal Crossing
2D Mario
Retro's game
Sakurai's game
Next Level Games
Platinum's game
New IP, Arm's scope
1 Collaboration game

Pretty optimistic.

Pikmin 4: I think this will be more of a 2019 game. Pikmin I feel like is the kind of game that works best once the base has been more solidly built.

2D Mario: I think we will get Mario Maker next year. A full new 2D Mario in 2019/2020 or beyond.

Sakurai's game: Yes if it's Smash and built heavily on Wii U. No if it's a new IP, ground-up Smash, or something like Uprising.

Next Level: See Pikmin.

Platinum: Possibly if it's Hashimoto's game. If Kamiya has anything for Switch, not happening until late 2019 or 2020 at least. At the very least, a Bayonetta collection should be totally doable for next year.

New IP: I feel like Retro's game might also a new IP. Anything separate from that, I have no idea. In general I think we should see at least one AAA new IP and maybe a couple smaller ones.

A bit of a recap of new games from the direct with developers

Mario Party: The Top 100 - Nd Cube
Style Savvy 4 - syn Sophia
Dillon: Dead Heat Breakers - Vanpool
Kirby: Battle Royale - HAL Lab
Snipperclips Plus - SFB Games + NST?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
A bit of a recap of new games from the direct with developers

Mario Party: The Top 100 - Nd Cube
Style Savvy 4 - syn Sophia
Dillon: Dead Heat Breakers - Vanpool / Grounding?
Kirby: Battle Royale - HAL Lab
Snipperclips Plus - SFB Games / NST?
Joysound For Switch Tose?

Forgot one.

Andyliini

Maybe they will put Breath of the Wild's 8-bit test-program to use, and release it in some for as Zelda Maker. Altough creating overworlds might be a bit overwhelming task, so maybe they should go with Zelda Dungeon Maker first. Maybe with that, the original vision of the first Zelda is finally achieved.

TheMoon

Maybe they will put Breath of the Wild's 8-bit test-program to use, and release it in some for as Zelda Maker. Altough creating overworlds might be a bit overwhelming task, so maybe they should go with Zelda Dungeon Maker first. Maybe with that, the original vision of the first Zelda is finally achieved.

The idea of Zelda Maker and Metroid Maker sounds cool for 5 seconds until you realize they just don't work. Nobody can and wants to make Zeldas and Metroids. Everybody can make an obstacle course, however.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Unseen64 has a nice video on Factor 5's cancelled Pilotwings game. You could travel all around the world without load screens, the weather was based on real weather data from the Wii's Weather Channel and the game was silly. It actually looks pretty good. You can become a patreon to see the video now or wait a week or two.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/new-video-next-14389440

That game was shopped around after Nintendo bailed, and third party pubs were not interested either.

That game was shopped around after Nintendo bailed, and third party pubs were not interested either.

The video goes into that, they got some small shitty publisher to publish their Pilotwings game, but the publisher went under due to the recession.

Nintendo was making a headtracking peripheral for this Factor 5 game into 2009ish before the game got cancelled.

SirShandy

Peléo;248986812 said:

Kirby - Confirmed for Spring 2018
Yoshi - Probably for second half of the year.
Fire Emblem - Probably third or fourth quarter release.
Pikmin 4 - Difficult to say what state this game is in. It might be in limbo currently while other games get more attention.
Animal Crossing - I really feel like this title will be a 1st or 2nd quarter release. I think we get an Animal Crossing direct in the next few months to talk about the mobile game and we'll see this title announced.
2D Mario - Almost definitely a fall release for a Mario Maker sequel. The game has proved to be a very popular social/streaming game and Nintendo will lean into that.
Retro's game - I feel like this title will be revealed within the next six months as perhaps a late Spring or holiday 2018 title depending on whether it is multiplayer or singe player oriented.
Sakurai's game - Too early for 2018 release I'd say.
Next Level Games - Also too early for 2018 unless it's a sports title.
Platinum's game - Definitely possible.
New IP, Arm's scope - Also probable.
1 Collaboration game - This is fairly common for Nintendo so it's likely.
1 or 2 HD ports (Donkey Kong, Bayonetta, Metroid Prime, Captain Toad) - Guaranteed at least two HD ports, especially from Platinum.

Further guesses/ predictions:

- Some kind of party game from NDCube in 2018.
- I think a larger first party title will release before the end of the fiscal year (March 2018). Either a Smash Brothers title or Animal Crossing maybe.
- We'll likely see some early 2018 title(s) revealed at the Nintendo World Championship. It feels like Smash Bros would be an appropriate reveal for this event.
- Nintendo will likely have a large presence at this years Game Awards and it's a perfect place to reveal a new title or two (c'mon Retro Studios).

Are you guys thinking we'll get one more general Direct this year to showcase more of 2018 or we're gonna be waiting until the (probable) January Direct?

Are you guys thinking we'll get one more general Direct this year to showcase more of 2018 or we're gonna be waiting until the (probable) January Direct?

We'll need to hear about the Zelda DLC pack 2 but that could just be dropped as a video. There's a bunch of confusing third party stuff since Ubisoft said they were announcing something very soon (back in July) and we haven't heard anything about that. There's also still a couple release dates that we need to hear about, like Rocket League, Hollow Knight and DOOM.

So I could see one happening but it's definitely not guaranteed.

The Nintendo World Championships are next month, at least one reveal of some kind is likely. I imagine the next Direct not focused on a single game/franchise will be in January, but as this thread has demonstrated, those are hard to predict.

Nintendo has been bringing stuff to The Game Awards a couple years in a row now, so some kind of announcement seems probable. It feels a little too soon to see anything Metroid Prime 4 related, but that would be a fantastic audience for it.

I expect a reveal of a game at Nintendo World Championships.

The Game Awards is after Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade. So, they'll want a new first party IP to start promoting and that's a great opportunity to start promoting Metroid Prime 4 or maybe Retro's game.

TDLink

I expect a reveal of a game at Nintendo World Championships.

The Game Awards is after Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade. So, they'll want a new first party IP to start promoting and that's a great opportunity to start promoting Metroid Prime 4 or maybe Retro's game.

Game Awards will probably have Fire Emblem.

No way we see Metroid Prime before E3.

TDLink

The audience for the Game Awards shouldn't be seeing Fire Emblem.

I think Fire Emblem will be in a Direct.

FE is pretty mainstream now. I think it'd certainly be the better game to show out of it, Kirby, and Yoshi. And again, no chance of MP before E3, it's almost certainly a 2019 game.

So if it's not FE then it's either something new or nothing.

FE is pretty mainstream now. I think it'd certainly be the better game to show out of it, Kirby, and Yoshi. And again, no chance of MP before E3, it's almost certainly a 2019 game.

So if it's not FE then it's either something new or nothing.

I guess I'll disagree. I don't think that series fits with the dudebro audience of Game Awards. And I actually think Metroid Prime 4 has been in development for a longer time than most think. Kirby and Yoshi are small games, but if we're going to talk a big game, if not Metroid, then whatever Retro is working on.

I'd be surprised if FE showed up.

Feffe

Do not forget Animal Crossing. I think we'll see AC Switch some months after AC mobile.

With Yoshi and Kirby I think 2D Mario will be reserved for 2019.

jdstorm

Banned
Peléo;248986812 said:

Kirby
Yoshi
Fire Emblem
Pikmin 4
Animal Crossing
2D Mario
Retro's game
Sakurai's game
Next Level Games
Platinum's game
New IP, Arm's scope
1 Collaboration game

Mario + Sonic at the winter olympics is likely the collaboration game

I'm thinking 2D Mario may be held back to 2019 if Yoshi isn't coming until 2H (which it seems like might happen? Would be weird to launch Kirby in April or May and then release Yoshi in June or something).

Would expect something like:

April: Kirby
June: Smash
Sometime in the second half of the year: Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Retro Studios game, maaaybe Pikmin.

TheMoon

I'm thinking 2D Mario may be held back to 2019 if Yoshi isn't coming until 2H (which it seems like might happen? Would be weird to launch Kirby in April or May and then release Yoshi in June or something).

Would expect something like:

April: Kirby
June: Smash
Sometime in the second half of the year: Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Retro Studios game, maaaybe Pikmin.

the last console Yoshi and Kirby games came out within a month of one another in 2015. Quickly followed by a 2D Mario two months later.

takriel

So we're once again entering the period where we don't exactly know what the Zelda team is up to next. Always cool to anticipate Zelda news in Nintendo Directs or at E3! :)

Macka

I really hope Retro is working on an ambitious new IP. Something to really fill out a gap in Nintendo's genre lineup.

I'd also really like to see Nintendo bring back Eternal Darkness this gen. It might actually be a good fit for Retro or even Next Level Games as well - I think a Western dev would be much better suited to handling that series tbh.

Basically, I'm hoping for some new games that don't fall under the 'bright and colourful' Nintendo umbrella. Splatoon and ARMS join a pantheon of Nintendo franchises to fit that description. We have Odyssey, Yoshi, Kirby and presumably 2D Mario and Animal Crossing not far away. I'm really keen to see some different styles from Nintendo in the HD era, which we didn't really get to see on the Wii U.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
the last console Yoshi and Kirby games came out within a month of one another in 2015. Quickly followed by a 2D Mario two months later.

-2018-

Nintendo R&D - Animal Crossing Team Project?
Nintendo R&D - Rhythm Tengoku Team Project?
Nintendo R&D - Mario Maker 2 or NMSB Switch Project?

Retro Studios / NLG / NST - All three possible.

Nintendo / HAL - Kirby
Nintendo / IS - Fire Emblem
Nintendo / Good- Feel - Yoshi

Surprise first party games - Remasters, Sequels from familiar or new contracted devs.

(Prime 4 and Pokemon are most likely 2019)

Do you expect Smash 5 next year, Shikamaru Ninja?

But that did help contribute to the meme that the WiiU only had 2D platformers and I would think Nintendo will try to avoid this type of crowding again.

But this is just speculation.

MoonFrog

Which or how many of the following do people think could be next year: 2D Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing?

I think one of those is going to be the big holiday game. Pokemon sounds like 2019 to me from what they've said. But I think next holiday is going to have a big "expanded" audience title as its centerpiece. They've done a great job of getting their evergreen titles out this year and I think they should/will continue to get them out next year so Switch has an ever-growing critical mass of system-selling and long-selling software. I also think 3D Mario and Zelda play closer to the base and the idea of "No Play Like It," while their current multiplayer offerings play to a wider audience while still playing to that idea. I think next year Nintendo is going to transition to a central title that plays more to a wider audience and less to "Switch isn't mobile; deserves to exist!" I think Switch has a good start that proves it has space to live within and Nintendo can afford to bring in "simpler" titles with less of a focus on "console" that also have a history of selling incredibly well on attractive Nintendo systems.

For the core audience I think Nintendo can have some things among: FE, Retro's game, Metroid Prime 4, Pikmin 4, and Smash.

I think FE is supposed to be 2018 iirc.

I'm guessing Retro's game will be 2018. But then again I guessed it would be 2017 :p.

I have no idea with MP, Pikmin, or Smash. MP sounds like it could make 2018 but given that we've seen nothing so far, I'd be a bit surprised if it did. Pikmin is a title that has been supposedly "near completion" for a while now but which we haven't seen. So no idea there either. And we don't know what they are doing with Smash wrt to Smash 4 port or Smash 5.

Which or how many of the following do people think could be next year: 2D Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing?

I think one of those is going to be the big holiday game. Pokemon sounds like 2019 to me from what they've said. But I think next holiday is going to have a big "expanded" audience title as its centerpiece. They've done a great job of getting their evergreen titles out this year and I think they should/will continue to get them out next year so Switch has an ever-growing critical mass of system-selling and long-selling software. I also think 3D Mario and Zelda play closer to the base and the idea of "No Play Like It," while their current multiplayer offerings play to a wider audience while still playing to that idea. I think next year Nintendo is going to transition to a central title that plays more to a wider audience and less to "Switch isn't mobile; deserves to exist!" I think Switch has a good start that proves it has space to live within and Nintendo can afford to bring in "simpler" titles with less of a focus on "console" that also have a history of selling incredibly well on attractive Nintendo systems.

For the core audience I think Nintendo can have some things among: FE, Retro's game, Metroid Prime 4, Pikmin 4, and Smash.

I think FE is supposed to be 2018 iirc.

I'm guessing Retro's game will be 2018. But then again I guessed it would be 2017 :p.

I have no idea with MP, Pikmin, or Smash. MP sounds like it could make 2018 but given that we've seen nothing so far, I'd be a bit surprised if it did. Pikmin is a title that has been supposedly "near completion" for a while now but which we haven't seen. So no idea there either. And we don't know what they are doing with Smash wrt to Smash 4 port or Smash 5.

Smash 5 will be sooner than Holiday 2018.

Waifu Emblem will be the biggest Holiday game from Nintendo. Just don't think Nintendo will want to do three 2D platformers in the same year again (so no 2D Mario in 2018 I guess).

Zalman

If I had to guess: 2D Mario and Animal Crossing next year. The 2D Mario will likely be Mario Maker. Animal Crossing will be part of their mobile + console synergy plan.

Pokémon will be 2019 IMO. Two years would be an extremely short generation, and they're likely going to need the extra time rethinking the series for home console play.

Macka

I think we'll see 2D Mario (probably Super Mario Maker 2?) and Animal Crossing next year. Pokemon will slip into 2019.

Smash Bros. will launch in ~March with the paid online service. They need a big online multiplayer game coming out at the same time to get people interested, and I can't see anything else filling that role. It's been held back specifically for that reason imo.

Kirby Star Allies and Yoshi should release pretty early in the year. Fire Emblem Switch could be ready as early as May with the way Intelligent Systems has been pumping out games lately. I also think Metroid Prime 4 is further along in development than the logo reveal would suggest, and it will be making 2018 as well.

If we don't see Retro's game at e3 2018, something is seriously wrong.

Top Bottom