• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo First-Party Thread: The Teams, The Games, The Future

Yoshi and Kirby should both easily be spring releases. I wonder if Yoshi might come second though. Kirby looks surprisingly far along and even though Yoshi was playable at E3, it looked like some extra polish wouldn't hurt. Maybe it'd get a slight bump to Q3 but I don't think they'd really be interfering with each other too much. I mean historically the two series have complemented each other pretty well. Of course there's a chance E3 had an older build too and IIRC Woolly World had a looot of refinement and finishing touches happen between E3 2014 and 2015, so maybe Yoshi is at the same point in its development where they're wrapping up content and focusing on that.

Fire Emblem: The main FE games have been on a 3-year cycle for the past while (Awakening - 2012, Fates - 2015) so I think this can easily make next year. I'm sure they probably started planning this and Echoes around the same time. My money is on a July release.

2D Mario: Mario Maker next holiday.

Pokemon: I think internally they'd love to have it next holiday, but realistically it might end up in March 2019.

Animal Crossing: Next year for sure. They've already got a ton of HD assets thanks to Plaza, Amiibo Festival, and even Mario Kart 8. And it's one of the biggest system sellers they can use to bring over the handheld crowd. I don't think it can be understated, whenever I go on Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr after a Direct, there are so many people going "that was cool but where was Animal Crossing?" I dunno if it was this thread but I feel like Animal Crossing is the kind of game that can do well pretty much whenever it's released. I'd love Q1/Q2 but it'd also be a good holiday or early fall game.

Metroid Prime 4: Totally 2019.

Pikmin 4: Also think this will be a spring/summer 2019 game.

Retro: Should be next year unless something is horribly wrong. Maybe in October or so.

Smash: I was thinking around E3 it seemed like a lock for March 2018 but things are starting to get tight. Might be pushed to maybe May/June as the big summer kickoff game in the same vein as Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, etc. If it's built heavily on Wii U, it doesn't need that long a hype cycle, but they'll probably want a few months to build the anticipation and sell us on its differences a la Splatoon 2. In any case I completely agree they're going to use it to launch the online program whenever that's ready. Holiday seems way too late and I'd think they'd prefer newer games to be their centrepieces around then anyway.

Macka

Pikmin 4: Also think this will be a spring/summer 2019 game.
Miyamoto said that Pikmin 4 was 'very close to completion' back in July 2015.

If it isn't announced and released next year, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we find out it's just been canceled altogether. Something's seriously wrong there. Development presumably started in 2013. A Pikmin game shouldn't take like 5-6 years to make.

MoonFrog

Hmmm...yeah, I think they can do it, i.e. keep up their 2017 momentum with certain core releases. I don't think the games that they'd want to show up are all less likely to show than they are to show. I don't think we have evidence of there teams not being in a place to have something among Mario, AC, and Pokemon out next year, even if it does feel like Pokemon is 2019. Glad you'll seem to agree with that :): 2018 is going to be a very important year for Switch and I hope Nintendo's software strategy continues to be strong like it was this year.

Coupled with Yoshi, Kirby, and FE probably being there and something among MP, Smash, Retro, and Pikmin probably making it and there is the skeleton of a convincing year ahead.

Also glad that Octopath is targeting 2018 as is, I assume, DQXI Switch.

I hope SMT is 2018 too and that Capcom/Level-5 have something better planned for that year.

Western support is a wildcard that looks more promising at this current moment than it usually does.

I think Switch could have a good 2018.

Also curious what sort of new software Nintendo could put out that could explode on Switch.

My first thought would be a multiplayer game that makes use of Switch's guts to bring something new to the portable LAN scene in Japan, but I'm guessing Splatoon has that covered.

Miyamoto said that Pikmin 4 was 'very close to completion' back in July 2015.

If it isn't announced and released next year, I wouldn't be surprised if it's just been canceled altogether. Something's wrong there. A Pikmin game shouldn't take like 5-6 years to make.

The thing that gives me pause is most recently, Miyamoto simply said Pikmin 4 was "progressing". While it could just him being coy, it doesn't seem quite as confident as the "near complete" comment in 2015.

I guess I wouldn't rule it out happening next year. But actually, when you look at what happened with Pikmin 3, the situation here isn't too different.

July 2008 - Miyamoto says "we're working on Pikmin" at an E3 roundtable.

October 2008 - New Play Control Pikmin 1 and 2 are announced. Cammie Dunaway confirms that they aren't what Miyamoto was referring to; he was in fact talking about a whole new Pikmin. It's possible though that, similar to Wind Waker HD working as a warmup for BOTW, the New Play Control series helped serve as experiments to help them figure out how a Wii Pikmin game would work.

June 2009 - Miyamoto notes that Pikmin 3 hasn't really received the staff it needs for full development yet, because of other Nintendo projects (e.g. Spirit Tracks, NSMBWii, Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword).

June 2010 - Miyamoto echoes last year's thoughts, saying that the game still only has a small skeleton crew and full development with a bigger team hasn't begun.

June 2011 - Miyamoto confirms Pikmin 3 is now a Wii U game. He notes "we've been working on it for a while" and hopes it doesn't take too long to show up on Wii U. By this point proper development has probably actually begun.

June 2012 - Pikmin 3 announced.

December 2012 - Delayed to Q2 2013.

April 2013 - Delayed to July/August 2013, when it finally releases. Miyamoto comments shortly beforehand:

I don't know how far I should go in explaining this, but at Nintendo, there is often sort of a notion that the games I'm working on always get delayed. And in my mind, there's really two kinds of games: games that get delayed and then there's games that sort of shift [laughs]. And in the case of Pikmin, we were working on Pikmin in advance of [the Wii U launch] and I was spending a lot of time focusing on placement of items and enemies and things like that and levels. And so from my perspective, Pikmin gradually just became one of those games that sort of shifted [laughs]. I'm sorry. I know everybody is waiting for it.

There's really two trains of thought here.

1 - Miyamoto was referring to Hey Pikmin in 2015, and Pikmin 4 in 2017 (total shot in the dark and I dunno how likely it is, since you'd think Eurogamer would comment on that in their report)

2 - Miyamoto was hoping to have Pikmin 4 release as a Wii U game. However, due to circumstances we can only speculate about (mainly regarding the transition to the Switch), it got lost in the shuffle. It's possible that the game got put on hold in order to prioritize resources towards Switch games and maybe Hey Pikmin. So that could be holding up development and causing it to release later than Miyamoto had hoped. He even implied as much at E3 2016.

”Yes, you are right, and we're working on [Pikmin 4]. So, you know, when we're in development we have to create a list of priorities and it has been hard to kind of fit that into that list, but we're hopefully starting to see that on the list now."

There's also strategic/business angles that may have come into play too. Not wanting to release too close to Hey Pikmin for example, or thinking Pikmin 4 was lower priority for Switch's first year.

Anyway, you're right. I don't think a release next year should be totally ruled out. My gut was just thinking 2019 might be what they go with, whether for business reasons (prioritizing other games for the first year or two) or even Miyamoto's own perfectionism. His comment above implied that Pikmin 3 also partly took a while because of his desire to get it just right. But I don't think it will be any later than 2019, that's for sure.

It's really hard to predict what Nintendo will next year. I mean, Kirby and Yoshi already? That was a surprise. Fire Emblem was also a nice surprise, but what's next?

I personally don't think Metroid or Pokemon will be in 2018, they'll want to take their time with them. Smash might be announced at E3, but won't come until 2019 or 2020. Same with Mario Kart.

So what's left? Donkey Kong could be the Retro Studios game, having them do another trilogy before another project. Pikmin could be next year, depends on their desire to have it on Switch. I don't think Animal Crossing will be announced for Switch because they've already said it's going to be their next mobile title.

So again, what's left? I'm not sure, but I think Nintendo knows that, so they might be trying to pull some rabbits (not Rabbids!!!) out of their hat.

MoonFrog

I wonder what Retro is working on.

I think it'll probably either be another core-targeted single player game a la DKCR and MP or that it'll be a response to changes in the console market and targeted at where Retro sees the western market being at now, i.e. possibly online-focused, multiplayer, and/or GaaS.

Obviously there's a wide-range of specific possibilities that fit either option. Just look at how different DKCR and MP are.

Dre3001

Everyone doubted when Nintendo first announced Xenoblade 2 as being released in 2017 up until last week when they confirmed it with a release date.

Would it be that farfetched to believe that Nintendo could release a brand new Smash Bros. sequel in 2018?

Its been 4 years since Smash Bros WiiU/3DS. Isnt that more than enough time to make a full blown sequel. I cant imagine a port of Smash Bros is coming when they have had more than enough time to start and possible finish a sequel.

Im guessing that Nintendo announces the next Smash Bros is coming late in 2018 at a Direct in Dec/Jan. then maybe around E3 gives more info and a release date of Fall 2018.

It's really hard to predict what Nintendo will next year. I mean, Kirby and Yoshi already? That was a surprise. Fire Emblem was also a nice surprise, but what's next?

I personally don't think Metroid or Pokemon will be in 2018, they'll want to take their time with them. Smash might be announced at E3, but won't come until 2019 or 2020. Same with Mario Kart.

So what's left? Donkey Kong could be the Retro Studios game, having them do another trilogy before another project. Pikmin could be next year, depends on their desire to have it on Switch. I don't think Animal Crossing will be announced for Switch because they've already said it's going to be their next mobile title.

So again, what's left? I'm not sure, but I think Nintendo knows that, so they might be trying to pull some rabbits (not Rabbids!!!) out of their hat.

I wonder what Retro is working on.

I think it'll probably either be another core-targeted single player game a la DKCR and MP or that it'll be a response to changes in the console market and targeted at where Retro sees the western market being at now, i.e. possibly online-focused, multiplayer, and/or GaaS.

Obviously there's a wide-range of specific possibilities that fit either option. Just look at how different DKCR and MP are.

3D sandbox Donkey Kong even more magnificent than Odyssey. Believe.

I really don't think they will abandon the foundation of the Wii U Smash Bros. They really perfected the game in a lot of ways, and the roster is fantastic. I mean, they ported Pokken with roster updates, one new addition, and improved visual quality and that's it. Smash will obviously see a bigger push and bigger additions, but why abandon the great foundation you already have? Plus the game is perfect for an enhanced port due to split content between the two versions. Have all the 3DS stages, Smash Run, combined with the Wii U content, a few new stages, some new characters (inklings and Spring Man come to mind, plus maybe some older characters and another third party rep) and the game will do well. People are eventually going to tire of the Wii U ports, but Smash is one of the few Wii U ports that people are desperate for, and one that would really benefit from a definitive edition.

jdstorm

Banned
Not sure who would be excited about that one anymore. Was anyone ever?

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics sold >7M on the Wii
Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics sold >5M on the Wii
Mario and Sonic 2012 sold >3M on the Wii

Mario and Sonic 2016 was harder to find sales data on but aparently it did over 200K sales in the Japanese region. So its not fair to say nobody liked them.

Plus there are 2 main reasons why Mario + Sonic will continue even with a declining sales trajectory.

1. Nintendo needs sports games and an olympic's collection of arcade sports games is actually a nice fit in their lineup.
2. Nintendo likely will have a huge hit locally with Mario + Sonic at the Tokyo Olympics and so will likely want to continue the series to build momentum into that game.

Plus with Sonic having a spike in popularity thanks to Sonic Mania and potentially Sonic Forces it makes sense to capatalise on that.

Edit: For 2018 my guesses are that Nintendo will release 12 major games.

1. Yoshi
2. Kirby
3. Animal Crossing
4. Fire Emblem
5. Mario + Sonic 2018
6. Smash 4 Deluxe
7. Retro's game
8. Wii/WiiU Party Sequel
9. Octopath Traveller
10. Unnanounced Racing game*/New IP
11. WiiU Port
12. WiiU Port

Deluxe WiiU port candidates include

Hyrule Warriors, Tokyo Mirrage Sessions, Mario Maker, Captain Toad and Wonderful 101** ##

* If Retro is making a racing game it might be a new IP by someone else. If Retro isn't making a racing game, a mid budget outsourced FZero game makes a lot of sense.

** Not really but i can still dream.

## I would guess that a Donkey Kong Trillogy and Bayonetta Trillogy would be due 2019 which is why we won't see any ports in 2018

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
How is the speculation on the developer behind Metroid Prime going? Really curious about that one, but with all these Bethesda-games, I am almost starting to think their Doom/Wolfenstein-guys could be behind it. How crazy am I?

How is the speculation on the developer behind Metroid Prime going? Really curious about that one, but with all these Bethesda-games, I am almost starting to think their Doom/Wolfenstein-guys could be behind it. How crazy am I?

If they had managed to get iD as the developer for Metroid Prime 4, they would be bragging about it instead of keeping it a secret.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Didn't they confirm it was a new internal team?

MoonFrog

I forget...how vain is my hope that is internal EPD and there's going to be internal structure and interest in continually making Prime now? :p

watershed

Banned
If they had managed to get iD as the developer for Metroid Prime 4, they would be bragging about it instead of keeping it a secret.

I don't think this is true at all. Prime 4 isn't ready for public reveal yet. When it's time to unveil the game and hype it up, that will be when they reveal the developer.

Jerm411

Just trying to think outside of the box a bit about new IP or returning franchises to help pad out the portfolio....

After the success of Kingdom Battle I would if a brand new Super Mario RPG entry is on the table....would be awesome and would love to see them branch out into other franchises with it or include more of their characters outside of SMB.

Also I think the Switch is ripe for a CCG and I'd love to see Nintendo build one...they got the perfect mix for one IMO with awesome characters across a wide spectrum, cool locales and areas, and the charm they could add to a game. Basically give me Nintendo Hearthstone lol.....

Of course I cannot wait for the next mainline AC game...should be incredible. As far as announced stuff across all systems goes, that's def. right at the top. I think we get it in 2018 too, it could be the big fall game if Prime 4 isn't ready yet.

ITSMILNER

TGS this week, what can we expect in the way of Switch related releases?

I'm guessing no new first party announcements but could we see some 3rd party Switch exclusives perhaps? Maybe the much rumoured Platinium ports

I'm guessing no new first party announcements but could we see some 3rd party Switch exclusives perhaps? Maybe the much rumoured Platinium ports
Yeah, I would expect nothing from Nintendo. Maybe Platinum, but Idk what they do for TGS.

If Platinum are porting any of their Wii U games then Nintendo would be publishing. Those wouldn't be at TGS. Platinum are an independent developer so whenever their stuff is announced is at the whims of their publisher.

Atheerios

So this year Nintendo had their big event, revealing most of the games for the year in January.

Do you think they will do something similar in 2018 and reveal their heavy hitters for the year early?

Thores

Some smaller games I think we could get in 2018:

A new Pokémon Mystery Dungeon for the Switch. The mainline Pokémon Switch RPG probably won't come out till 2019, but Nintendo will still want some Switch representation for the franchise somehow. This would be the perfect stopgap while we waited, and the timing lines up: the last few Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games have been released 3 years apart, and we got our last one in 2015.

A new Skip Ltd game. Skip has been awfully quiet since they released Chibi-Robo Zip Lash. I feel like working on a quirky, smaller-scale title for the Switch would be right in their wheelhouse. It could also be presented as the first game in a new IP, since Skip will likely be forced to retire Chibi-Robo for at least a while.

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl got announced two years before release,I think Pokemon being a 2019 title will be fine.

I also wonder what is Sora doing right now.I prefer them and Sakurai doing a different project instead of smash tbh

They should do another big January live event instead of a new year direct
Not expecting another live event myself. They seem much more comfortable with the tight, controlled pace of the Direct, especially after their last live event didn't face such hot reception.

Also that live event was pretty special, even if the January Direct is a big one... it'd still be just a Direct.

I mean now that the console is pretty popular now and they don't have the pressure of carrying the entire console life with a live event anymore.Another January with the same quality line up as last year live event will do good in my opinion

Mario and Sonic at the Olympics sold >7M on the Wii
Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics sold >5M on the Wii
Mario and Sonic 2012 sold >3M on the Wii

Mario and Sonic 2016 was harder to find sales data on but aparently it did over 200K sales in the Japanese region. So its not fair to say nobody liked them.

Plus there are 2 main reasons why Mario + Sonic will continue even with a declining sales trajectory.

1. Nintendo needs sports games and an olympic's collection of arcade sports games is actually a nice fit in their lineup.
2. Nintendo likely will have a huge hit locally with Mario + Sonic at the Tokyo Olympics and so will likely want to continue the series to build momentum into that game.

Plus with Sonic having a spike in popularity thanks to Sonic Mania and potentially Sonic Forces it makes sense to capatalise on that.

Edit: For 2018 my guesses are that Nintendo will release 12 major games.

1. Yoshi
2. Kirby
3. Animal Crossing
4. Fire Emblem
5. Mario + Sonic 2018
6. Smash 4 Deluxe
7. Retro's game
8. Wii/WiiU Party Sequel
9. Octopath Traveller
10. Unnanounced Racing game*/New IP
11. WiiU Port
12. WiiU Port

Deluxe WiiU port candidates include

Hyrule Warriors, Tokyo Mirrage Sessions, Mario Maker, Captain Toad and Wonderful 101** ##

* If Retro is making a racing game it might be a new IP by someone else. If Retro isn't making a racing game, a mid budget outsourced FZero game makes a lot of sense.

** Not really but i can still dream.

## I would guess that a Donkey Kong Trillogy and Bayonetta Trillogy would be due 2019 which is why we won't see any ports in 2018

If there was a Mario + Sonic olympics game to be released it should probably have been announced already, or possibly very very soon. Octopath Traveller is not a Nintendo game.

Nintendo has no reason to do a January live event. That event was to fully reveal the Switch and show they had support behind it for the whole year.

Iwata always said they would only do a live event when they needed to reveal a new system so that's that. Also, the Switch is very successful and there's no need to show their full schedule again.

I expect a December or January Direct covering spring 2018 releases and maybe one or two games outside of that.

TheMoon

They wouldn't. Because why would they? The game has not actually been revealed so what would you get out of firing off this megaton with nothing to gain from it? What if their work falls apart and they decide to switch devs and delay it? Would look terrible. Announce the new, possibly unproven dev alongside the full reveal of the actual game when it's more than a JPG and get double the hype (if it's such a big name dev).

Didn't they confirm it was a new internal team?

No, they confirmed absolutely nothing about it one way or the other. "New team" is all we got.

PG ports are first party.

squid

All I really need from Nintendo now to make the Switch my favourite console since the N64, is a Paper Mario like the first 2 games. They've already done exactly what I wanted with Zelda and 3D Mario with Switch, now I just need a good Paper Mario!

Not expecting another live event myself. They seem much more comfortable with the tight, controlled pace of the Direct, especially after their last live event didn't face such hot reception.

Also that live event was pretty special, even if the January Direct is a big one... it'd still be just a Direct.

In my opinion is they should do another one and should position it as a Convention similar to Sony's PSX.

They should just treat it like Space World all over again. The console is already out, they don't need to spend half an hour explaining it.

All I really need from Nintendo now to make the Switch my favourite console since the N64, is a Paper Mario like the first 2 games. They've already done exactly what I wanted with Zelda and 3D Mario with Switch, now I just need a good Paper Mario!

After seeing what they did with BotW and Mario I don't see Nintendo messing around anymore. They're giving us what we want. I'm ready for Paper Mario to make a return to its roots. I didn't mind Color Splash.

After seeing what they did with BotW and Mario I don't see Nintendo messing around anymore. They're giving us what we want. I'm ready for Paper Mario to make a return to its roots. I didn't mind Color Splash.

Well they've publicly said they got what they could out of the SS/CS style of Paper mario, so now if they got a new project it's something different.

With Mario Kart 8 selling faster on Switch than it did on Wii U, I'm thinking that they'll hold off on Mario Kart 9 until the release of the "Switch 2" or whatever it'll be called.

MK8D will continue to be an evergreen title and releasing a MK9 on Switch would just cut into each other's sales. There's really no need, especially if it released in the latter half of the Switch's life where Nintendo wouldn't be able to maximize its sales potential. There was no problem releasing two Mario Kart games in one generation up until now because they were on two separate platforms.

So if we assume this, that leaves EP9 sort of free for another project. I doubt all of that group is working on ARMS DLC.

jnWake

Nintendo should start making Smash Bros though. Having one of your biggest properties depend on one developer and whatever staff he can find is really risky.

So this year Nintendo had their big event, revealing most of the games for the year in January.

Do you think they will do something similar in 2018 and reveal their heavy hitters for the year early?

That'd be awesome, but I think the event in January was a one-time deal. I'm not expecting something like it until the next console unveiling.

Ex-Psych

I still can't believe there's hasn't been a leak or a comment or anything about them.

they probably are the most tight-lipped dev-team in the VG industry

Either that or they actually have nothing substantial on the table.

3 years in and not even a tease for what their next game is.

Couldn't even show us a jpeg like MP4

I still can't believe there's hasn't been a leak or a comment or anything about them.

they probably are the most tight-lipped dev-team in the VG industry

It's promising that we haven't heard about any major departures like we had after Corruption and Returns...

Couldn't even show us a jpeg like MP4

Shown right after the MP4 teaser. Only no music... just the Retro Studios logo.

"New game in development for Nintendo Switch"

Seriously though, I think it is nearly a lock to be shown and released next year. They don't want to take too much attention away from all the big games that are coming out this year. The wait is killing me though.

Top Bottom