• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo First-Party Thread: The Teams, The Games, The Future

TheMoon

Retro could really be doing anything. There's no way to make any sensible guesses. The worst thing we can do is look at who they hired and assume they hired them to make a game like whatever they worked on last. That already resulted in tears the last time people thought hiring someone from Naughty Dog would mean they are making something that isn't another DKC :)

Let's just stick with assuming they're doing nothing other than BBQing 24/7 and be surprised whenever they do rear their heads.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What is the likely hood Switch gets the HD port of Twilight Princess? Was thinking of playing it on Wii U soon but would rather play it handheld on Switch

Skyward Sword, maybe, but not TP.

TheMoon

Skyward Sword, maybe, but not TP.

Skyward Sword HD on Switch is a fairly safe bet since that's actually technically feasible since SS was built around gyro-based motions already. It directly translates to the JoyCon interface.

They're not gonna port games they have only just ported and remastered again. Especially since they would have to remove functionality that made those games better (touch screen). Kill that dream right now. No WWHD, no TPHD.

I've been dying to know what Retros been working on for a long time. I love all their games. You know they could have a game done and Nintendo is holding it. Of course they started their game late 2013 and then the Wii U died. Who knows when they made the transition to the Switch and how much time that cost. They could have two smaller games or a very big game.

It's just so much unknown all around because of the timeframe they started their next game and by the following holiday I think Nintendo said "yep Wii U is dead time to push games to the Switch".

Reki

I've been dying to know what Retros been working on for a long time. I love all their games. You know they could have a game done and Nintendo is holding it. Of course they started their game late 2013 and then the Wii U died. Who knows when they made the transition to the Switch and how much time that cost. They could have two smaller games or a very big game.

It's just so much unknown all around because of the timeframe they started their next game and by the following holiday I think Nintendo said "yep Wii U is dead time to push games to the Switch".

I think they aren't so big as to be working on something on the scale of BOTW, for example. They could pull it off with external assistance, and Nintendo studios usually cooperate, but for some reason I believe they are working on two smaller projects. Just speculation of course, I could be completely wrong.

An old IP? A completely new concept? Another DK? Who knows, we can only wait.

yuoke

Banned
I'd be shocked at this point if it was a third dkc. They likely won't announce whatever they are making now until e3 next year. That will be over years after tropical freeze came out. There's no way it is taking them over 4 years to make just a third dkc side scroller.

If it's dk, it will be a 3d game. Or they are doing a new ip.

TheMoon

I think they aren't so big as to be working on something on the scale of BOTW, for example. They could pull it off with external assistance, and Nintendo studios usually cooperate.

Nintendo couldn't either. Games of this scale are only achievable through outsourcing to external partners. That's just where we are right now.

They didn't even make DKCTF by themselves. Monster Games assisted there, too.

Speaking of Monster Games, their partnership with Nintendo is pretty much over, right? They've gone back to making Nascar games and I watched a clip of the new one and they said that the benefit of having the license is making a new Nascar game every year.

I guess Nintendo have Tantalus to port games now anyway.

Shiggy

The Art Academy series did not get extended, and with that being the focus for Headstrong Games for the past few years, they didn't have any projects lined up. It looks like the entire studio was thus laid off. Kuji Entertainment (Zoe Mode/Headstrong) had only 8 employees left as of Dec 31, 2016, of which only two were involved in game development. These remaining employees most likely work with external contractors under the Zoe Mode umbrella.

While Headstrong Games as a game studio seems dead now, the brand might be used in future again. For example, Dancing with the Stars on Wii was developed by Headstrong Games, but publicly shown under the Zoe Mode brand.

Reki

Nintendo couldn't either. Games of this scale are only achievable through outsourcing to external partners. That's just where we are right now.

They didn't even make DKCTF by themselves. Monster Games assisted there, too.

Agreed. XC may be a better example. A not-so-big team working several years on one game. Retro finished DKCTF at the end of 2013 if I'm not mistaken, so they've been working on something for almost four years.

Some would think it could be something "big" (like XC) but I believe they are working on two smaller projects at once.

Instro

I'd be shocked at this point if it was a third dkc. They likely won't announce whatever they are making now until e3 next year. That will be over years after tropical freeze came out. There's no way it is taking them over 4 years to make just a third dkc side scroller.

Pretty much my thoughts on the subject. If it is DK, you would have to think that it's not just another sidescroller. I'm inclined to go with new IP though. Nintendo seems very interested in new IPs right now with the Switch, so I could see this being the time for Retro to get their shot.

The Art Academy series did not get extended, and with that being the focus for Headstrong Games for the past few years, they didn't have any projects lined up. It looks like the entire studio was thus laid off.
It's a shame it wasn't felt like more Art Academy was needed. I would've thought a Switch handheld only game could've worked out in the future.

Regarding Retro, the game they started working on late 2013 most likely is either cancelled or they're having a very hard time. It's been almost 4 years. It's like it's been too long. They might as well have cancelled the project and started something new.

Reki

Regarding Retro, the game they started working on late 2013 most likely is either cancelled or they're having a very hard time. It's been almost 4 years. It's like it's been too long. They might as well have cancelled the project and started something new.

It could have started as a Wii U game and moved to Switch in 2015 or 2016, thus explaining the four years. Or it could be a completely new IP and they had a long pre-production period choosing what would they do.

Or anything else. The long wait isn't necessarily tied to a cancelled project. Last time that happened with Retro (that we know of, of course) was when, around fifteen years ago?

I think they aren't so big as to be working on something on the scale of BOTW, for example. They could pull it off with external assistance, and Nintendo studios usually cooperate, but for some reason I believe they are working on two smaller projects. Just speculation of course, I could be completely wrong.

An old IP? A completely new concept? Another DK? Who knows, we can only wait.

I don't want a huge game like BotW lol. I just want a high quality single player game that's got more meat to it. I want a new IP. I'll take 3D DK or Eternal Darkness or a new Star Tropics game.

Yeah, I fully believe they're not making another 2D DK game. Idk I'd like to think some of these guys take these things to heart after the negative reaction to Retro making "another fucking 2D DK game". I expect atleast a 3D DK game if they're doing DK.

Eh it doesn't have to be cancelled. 4 years isn't a very long time. Their development started in the middle of the Wii U's life and it would've switched to Switch in 2015-2016. The game could be done and they're working on another game, but Nintendo wants to hold it back for 2018 because they've got their plate full for 2017.

You're going to need more evidence than "it's been too long".

TheMoon

People just can't get enough of Retro speculation based on absolutely zero nada nothing with some feelings on the side lol

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

It's about the standard time their AAA titles cook (Zelda:TP, Super Mario Odyssey) when they aren't straight forward same-engine sequels.

I guess Nintendo have Tantalus to port games now anyway.

They may never hire Tantalus again. We've seen one shot deals before. But Nintendo has the money to hire any freelancer.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
people jumping the gun as usual. always assume someone is misunderstanding/misinterpreting everything.

Yeah besides a surprise eshop (or VC) first-party release for 3DS or Switch, September Direct is the most likely time for new games to be announced.

Thores

Yeah besides a surprise eshop (or VC) first-party release for 3DS or Switch, September Direct is the most likely time for new games to be announced.
You don't think we're getting an August Direct? There's still several "Fall 2017" games without an exact release date. September seems too late to announce the date for a game that could be releasing in October.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Looking at past years a substantial fall direct is likely for end of August/beginning of September- right before TGS.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
You don't think we're getting an August Direct? There's still several "Fall 2017" games without an exact release date. September seems too late to announce the date for a game that could be releasing in October.

It could absolutely be end of August. I'm just using last years Direct as the template to go by.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
In other news, Kentaro Tominaga is the Director of Zelda "Expansion Pass". Either Fujibayashi is on vacation / pr or he's already leading documents for the BOTW sequel? (Same engine 2019 sequel please!)

My bet is we're going to get a September direct (or yeah, maaaaybe late August) revealing final plans for this fall, and then a November/December direct pulling the curtain back a bit more on next year's games. E.g. More info on Kirby and Yoshi, maybe a full Fire Emblem reveal, when VC and online will launch, etc. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

In other news, Kentaro Tominaga is the Director of Zelda "Expansion Pass". Either Fujibayashi is on vacation / pr or he's already leading documents for the BOTW sequel? (Same engine 2019 sequel please!)

Very interesting. A vacation for him is totally well-deserved, but I bet there probably have to be talks among him and some of the other senior staff members about how they're going to follow up BOTW. I definitely believe the Majora's Mask treatment (same-engine sequel using plenty of reused assets) is one of the most realistic possibilities on the table.

I know a 2D Zelda game has been mentioned as potentially in the works as well. With all of the 90s/2D remakes Nintendo have been up to lately, I wonder if maybe there'll be a remake of an older Zelda game. Zelda II or one of the GameBoy ones?

Retro could really be doing anything. There's no way to make any sensible guesses. The worst thing we can do is look at who they hired and assume they hired them to make a game like whatever they worked on last. That already resulted in tears the last time people thought hiring someone from Naughty Dog would mean they are making something that isn't another DKC :)

Let's just stick with assuming they're doing nothing other than BBQing 24/7 and be surprised whenever they do rear their heads.

Who they hire doesn't really tell us much. They hired ND dude, also Vigil dude, so people thought they were going to make something more "mature." And then TF was announced. They actually did hire quite a few people from Junction Point when they went under... That would have been more indicative of them making a cartoony platformer than ND or Vigil. And now we know they are working with music dude that worked on Deus Ex. But again, that really means nothing, as you said, they could be working on ANYTHING.

I could name shitloads of games that have been released this generation that took 4+ years and made by teams double, triple, and quadruple the size of Retro.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
My bet is we're going to get a September direct (or yeah, maaaaybe late August) revealing final plans for this fall, and then a November/December direct pulling the curtain back a bit more on next year's games. E.g. More info on Kirby and Yoshi, maybe a full Fire Emblem reveal, when VC and online will launch, etc. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Very interesting. A vacation for him is totally well-deserved, but I bet there probably have to be talks among him and some of the other senior staff members about how they're going to follow up BOTW. I definitely believe the Majora's Mask treatment (same-engine sequel using plenty of reused assets) is one of the most realistic possibilities on the table.

I know a 2D Zelda game has been mentioned as potentially in the works as well. With all of the 90s/2D remakes Nintendo have been up to lately, I wonder if maybe there'll be a remake of an older Zelda game. Zelda II or one of the GameBoy ones?

Zelda 2 remake would be dreams come true for me.

Yeah, it doesn't matter who Retro hired. They can make anything.

Nintendo is so unpredictable. You never know what may be announced or not.

Wamb0wneD

Do we really have to wait until next E3 to see what the hell Retro has been doing? Like, whta the hell...That's the biggest disappointment I had with this years E3.

Do we really have to wait until next E3 to see what the hell Retro has been doing? Like, whta the hell...That's the biggest disappointment I had with this years E3.

If we go on past reveals I believe most, if not all, of their games have been revealed at E3. This sucks because it would mean we wouldn't see their game for another 10 months...I was really hoping to see it at this E3.

I'm holding a sliver of a hope we could see a reveal at the Game Awards only because it's so western focused and Nintendo's there.

LordKano

If we go on past reveals I believe most, if not all, of their games have been revealed at E3. This sucks because it would mean we wouldn't see their game for another 10 months...I was really hoping to see it at this E3.

I'm holding a sliver of a hope we could see a reveal at the Game Awards only because it's so western focused and Nintendo's there.

January 2018 Direct.

Either Game Awards or January direct. Believe.

They'll probably also show that new multiplayer Kirby 3DS game in the next direct. They've been strangely quiet about it since its announcement. They've already had two chances to properly unveil it.
I wonder if Aouma's group will split into two teams. One making a BotW sequel and another making a new IP, maybe that thief game he talked about last year.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
They'll probably also show that new multiplayer Kirby 3DS game in the next direct. They've been strangely quiet about it since its announcement. They've already had two chances to properly unveil it.

I wonder if Aouma's group will split into two teams. One making a BotW sequel and another making a new IP, maybe that thief game he talked about last year.

That would be the best case scenario. I think most of the production groups are being encouraged to at least have one new IP alongside a flagship traditional franchise.

And would perfectly fit their "remake the odd-one-out games in classic series" pattern with Metroid 2 and FE Gaiden. I'd love to finally play a version of Zelda 2 that I enjoy :)

How would you feel about that Samus Returns engine for it? Aonuma probably has plans to remake/remaster one classic Zelda sometime soon.

TheMoon

How would you feel about that Samus Returns engine for it? Aonuma probably has plans to remake/remaster one classic Zelda sometime soon.

Whatever works best. :)

I'm sure Aonuma could partner his "second unit" team (stealing from the film word, B-team always sounds so judgmental) to guide even just MercurySteam again to build out their designs for it. Since they rock at using the 3D apparently (which I still have not seen ...thanks for nothing NOE).

Macka

Retro finished working on Tropical Freeze in ~August 2013 iirc. We're looking at a possible five years of development time. Hope that means it's massive in scope.

Actually I suppose it's possible they finished the game a while ago and Nintendo decided to shelve it until next year because they felt the lineup for 2016 was good enough already?

Top Bottom