• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo flirted with a Hyrule Wars game, alien invasions, and Biker Link before BOTW

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't care for the motorcycle or hipster look, but I would TOTALLY love if Link used a guitar in a future game.

I mean why not? It doesn't have to be electric. Guitars have been around forever. And we've already seen technology exist in both BotW and Skyward Sword as well as many many others. Shame he doesn't have one in BotW that he could play while sitting around a campfire.

I don't care for the motorcycle or hipster look, but I would TOTALLY love if Link used a guitar in a future game.

I mean why not? It doesn't have to be electric. Guitars have been around forever. And we've already seen technology exist in both BotW and Skyward Sword as well as many many others. Shame he doesn't have one in BotW that he could play while sitting around a campfire.
190px-MM3D_Zora_Link_Artwork.png

Here you go, wish granted.

Sacul64GC

Banned
Link doesn't have a gun so not every theory.

That Idea happened already

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...higeru-miyamoto-about-links-crossbow-training

As the team worked on the game, they tried to figure out a way to make it logical for Link to have a gun. In the interview, Miyamoto revealed that he proposed a Terminator-like story where Link got a gun from some space time warp from the future. Eventually, they came up with the idea of using a crossbow and the rest just flowed from there.

Bluth54

The Alien Invasion concept sounds cool and I wouldn't mind seeing an alien invasion in a future Zelda game. The concept for Biker link looks awful.

This also reminds me of that Iwata Asks for Link's Crossbow Training, where before they remembered that crossbows exist, Miyamoto suggested that Link have a Terminator-style time travel that took him into the future where he could have a gun.

That Idea happened already
As the team worked on the game, they tried to figure out a way to make it logical for Link to have a gun. In the interview, Miyamoto revealed that he proposed a Terminator-like story where Link got a gun from some space time warp from the future. Eventually, they came up with the idea of using a crossbow and the rest just flowed from there.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...higeru-miyamoto-about-links-crossbow-training

Also reminded me:
https://web.archive.org/web/2003052...com/e32003/interview/gcn/1002437/index2.shtml
GameSpy: What do you think of the Grand Theft Auto series?
Miyamoto: I have looked at Grand Theft Auto. The basic concept was very well done. Regardless of what the content of the game was, the level of freedom that you had in that one big city was a very good idea. Obviously it has gotten a lot of press because of the moral issues; but even aside from that, the game was done in such a way that gives it great gameplay. I think that is the reason that Grand Theft Auto is selling....
GameSpy: Are you bothered by the moral issues?
Miyamoto: Just because something will make people upset does not necessarily mean that we should make it. Developers need to think about how their games will affect the people who are playing them. At the same time, I also think that just because one person is offended by the moral issues raised by Grand Theft Auto does not mean that people will not enjoy the game.
GameSpy: Are you interested in making adult games like Grand Theft Auto or The Getaway?
Miyamoto: As a producer, I am interested in working with people who make adult-oriented games. You will see that our line-up will continue to have a lot of games that are very adult-oriented...

That picture of "Guitar Hero Of Time" Link needs to be cosplayed by everyone who cosplays.. immediately.

Thank you. Please.

Also, 'Tallicadorf Ganon looks a bit like Count Olaf from A Series of Unfortunate Events. He's always after that those Link & Zelda Orphans to steal their Triforces!

gelf

Brutal Legend x Zelda, finally I've seen the thing that would get me interested in Zelda again. At worst it would be hilarious.

R0ckman

This sounds like one of those things that happens to franchises running out of time. Every last one of those ideas sound horrid. They may need to look at different playable characters again ala Majora's Mask. They should not walk down the path of Sonic.

magnetic

As an artist and someone who appreciates others' art, the worst feeling is someone describing your creative and fresh idea as "something made while high"

Boring people think that you need drugs to come up with something even slightly out of the ordinary. It's a dull, overused trope that will probably never go away.

HYDE

Banned
I could see an alien invasion being the dlc and dungeon. Man, a Metroid crossover could be special...

Maedhros

Sorry, but all this shit looks terrible out of fucking place in this series... it's really like they don't know what the hell to do with the series and tried a bunch of ridiculous stuff, until they simply... gone back to the basics.

I mean... fucking aliens? As an easter egg would be cool I guess...

Vidiot

For those saying aliens don't fit in Zelda an alien invasion happened in MM. You had to defend the barn from them. It's one of my favorite side quests in the game.

Rncewind

man the ganon in shirt picture kills me

cant get rid of the idea that there was a prototype for a zelda dating sim / slice of life game where ganon and link are musicians which woo zelda

Brutal Legend x Zelda, finally I've seen the thing that would get me interested in Zelda again. At worst it would be hilarious.

Why? A Zelda game is launching tomorrow that has advanced technology in it and robot sentries that fire death lasers from their eyes. It seems to be getting near universal praise. What if instead of ancient robots the Guardians were aliens? While Link was asleep an alien race invaded Hyrule and allied with Ganon and overthrew Hyrule. It fits perfectly into a series that 1) has not only already had an alien presence in it but 2) has an ancient race of living robots that mine time travel crystals and a computer-like AI that lives inside the Master Sword.

Arkeband

Banned
"BotW started as these clearly insane ideas"

surejan.gif

The entire presentation felt like stuff they made up after the fact to make this game's production feel more interesting than it was.

SkyOdin

"BotW started as these clearly insane ideas"

surejan.gif

The entire presentation felt like stuff they made up after the fact to make this game's production feel more interesting than it was.
You underestimate game designers. Considering all of the completely insane and off-the-wall ideas that regularly do make it into videogames, none of these suggestions are really all that strange. Look at Kid Icarus Uprising, for example; it actually has an alien invasion arc. The Zelda series itself isn't a particularly serious or realistic franchise, either. I think these ideas were part of an earnest brainstorming session to try and find ways to mix up the franchise. Breath of the Wild is a pretty significant departure from every other 3D Zelda

Top Bottom