• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo flirted with a Hyrule Wars game, alien invasions, and Biker Link before BOTW

I'm really not feeling the 'modern day' setting. I'm sure there's some way It could be done well, but that concept is just awful.

The Invasion idea is pretty cool. Honestly, that could be a perfect sequel to BotW. I mean it seems so fitting that I saw this on Twitter and thought I might have just gotten spoiled. Let's do it!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Awful. Morbidly it would have just sealed the WiiU as the worst thing to ever happen to Nintendo though.

ika

I absolutely love the Zelda Invasion prototype, and the 2D one... I hope they do some DLC for BotW involving that mothership (you can fight it with the Eagle Titan :p), and also a eShop 2D game like the prototype... :p

Cuburt

C528JJ-U0AEdFsn.jpg:large
I thought the Fallen Hero Timeline was bad, but this truly must be the darkest timeline.

I'm just glad the ended up listening to reason instead of listening to Tumblr/Deviantart.

J-Tier

Alien Invasion is a neat idea for a Zelda game. Keep the setting the same Zelda-fantasy, but introduce a new enemy type with mysterious abilities and tech.

The art of Biker Link might be the worst thing I've ever seen for this franchise in any sort of official capacity, and this is a world where the CDi stuff exists.

Zelda Invasion needs to happen. Have Zelda/Link/Ganondorf team-up to combat the literal world threat, and have Ganondorf do a last-minute betrayal to try and take their tech for the final boss.

Beefers, you've experienced one too many Sonic plots.
Actually isn't this exactly what the Dark Brotherhood was about?

Jawmuncher

You know what? I wan't both of these games.

Zelda Invasion could just be like a themed expansion for BotW much like Red Dead Nightmare.

Dunno what they'd do about Brutal Legend Zelda, maybe something on a smaller scale and clearly stated as a spin-off? I wonder if they're even looking at the reactions over both to even consider doing either.

Mael

The idea of an alien invasion sounds awesome. Like, how awesome would it be if they did DLC for that idea?

I would actually bet that this is how they tie the new DLC dungeon to the game.
Heck I'm still convinced that for the 3 things discussed here, it's the only one missing.
Biker Link is clearly the DLC for MK8 and Hyrule Warriors is Hyrule Wars.

ika

I think they said they would upload this conference to YouTube at some point, or I dreamed it? 🤔

As it would happen the IGN article has a photo they took

Hit the download button to see the full size. It is rather blurry (text seems illegible) but better than the NOA twitter.
Indeed, thank you!
Quality's still not great, but it's certainly better!
QmIknLV.png

Dare I replace my Link avatar?
1HM7otO.png

kirby_fox

Banned
This only works if there's tongue in cheek humor. Which kinda looked like there was, but it would have to be... pretty humorous or it would be terrible otherwise.

Kid Icarus level humor. Link would have to talk.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That biker/guitar Link gives me Back to the Future vibes. I can see Link being a Marty McFly type of dude.
It's such a good personality type for him.

CD-i Link went with a similar idea, but dialed it up to 11. McFly-Link would be so perfect.

Does this mean the cyberpunk Zelda I so desperately crave could happen someday? Nintendo. Nintendo please.
I mean, Skyward Sword basically confirmed that the ancient world had advanced technology, so... super prequel where we play as a Shiekah?

Blurry15

I like the idea of guitar playing, bike riding link but it would have to go deep into like a rock/punk rock culture aka I want Suda working on this. Dream game right there I never knew I needed.

Do we have details on what exactly the Hyrule Wars game was going to be like? Hyrule Warriors styled battles? Conflict driven story between different lands in Hyrule? Conflict driven story between a Ganondorf led army and the Hyrulean army?

The original Zelda had a futuristic setting considered. Between that and the Biker Link concept, I think we will have a Zelda with a futuristic setting eventually and I welcome it

I wonder if people are rejecting the "modern" Link because the style he's drawn in looks so goddamn doofy?

Here's a quick and dirty version in the BotW style, literally just traced over a BotW Link figure and changed the clothes, feels weird coloring his sweater green after getting so used to the blue shirt:

I wouldn't mind a modern Zelda one bit (and I feel like I made up some kind of modern/highschool Zelda concept ages ago so it's not a foreign concept to me) but that style looks super whack. It's weird to imagine a guitarist on a chopper being a gangly dork, they need to adjust his proportions if they're ever gonna go that way.

clemenx

Banned
I actually like the hoodie a lot but the way he carries the sword/guitar and the strap band is just ridiculous.

Man, the more I see and think about the biker Link/alien invasion concepts the more I want it to be real. Like, use BotW as the base and make a Blood Dragon esque game out of it. The bike could be upgradeable, the guitar would replace the Sheikah Slate (somehow), large space ships to replace the dungeons and maybe alien "outposts" to replace the shrines. The whole thing just sounds dumb enough to actually be great.

I wonder if people are rejecting the "modern" Link because the style he's drawn in looks so goddamn doofy?

I wouldn't mind a modern Zelda one bit (and I feel like I made up some kind of modern/highschool Zelda concept ages ago so it's not a foreign concept to me) but that style looks super whack. It's weird to imagine a guitarist on a chopper being a gangly dork, they need to adjust his proportions if they're ever gonna go that way.

That's actually kind of WHY I'm starting to like it. Makes the whole idea seem inherently goofy, not serious and funny. I mean, Link is in a damn space suit while still using the Master Sword and a Metroid is just casually hanging out. The entire concept is silly looking on purpose. Like, it's going against most ideas that people had when they thought of a "modern Zelda".

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I always thought it would be neat if there was a large scale invasion that spread across a few franchises. So you'd have say Mega Man, Ghouls n Ghosts, and Final Fight all taking on the invaders in their own worlds via their own games.

Top Bottom