• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo flirted with a Hyrule Wars game, alien invasions, and Biker Link before BOTW

I hope they revisit the alien invasion idea. That sounds pretty rad.

Honestly, the invasion sounds awesome! :)
And hyrule wars would've been something!

lnwh.gif

Nintendo: Hey, whats that design doc you got there?
Designer: Oh, it's a Metroid. I was thinking of new ideas for a new Met..
Nintendo: What's a Metroid? I think we should put it in Zelda.
Designer: But fans have been wanting a traditional Metroid for awhile now.
Nintendo: I still don't know what Metroid is, but use it in Zelda.

Sephzilla

Sounds like they were trying some actually inspired ideas for Zelda. Honestly, the franchise desperately needed some fresh ideas to be a shot in the arm for the franchise after Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Ms.Galaxy

Majora's Mask didn't have aliens though?

I remember some creepy ghosts or whatever showing up on the ranch at night that you had to fight off.

Those "ghosts" were based after this alien creature:

FlatwoodsMonster.jpg

And in Majora's Mask 3D, it's even more implied they're aliens. There's a picture of the ranch with a UFO flying above it.

The aliens in Majora's Mask were obviously just the scouting party. The invasion force has to be out there somewhere...

Majora's Mask 2: Resurgence

"Okay everyone, we need some fresh ideas for the new Zelda game."
"Well, there's a lot of fan interest in Zelda taking a lead role, or maybe a female Link."
"How about some ideas that aren't ridiculous."
"Sorry sir. Well what about if aliens invade Hyrule?"
"Keep talking."
"And maybe Link rides a motorbike and plays electric guitar?"
"I like the cut of your kimono. Start on a prototype immediately."

aBarreras

Those "ghosts" were based after this alien creature:

FlatwoodsMonster.jpg

And in Majora's Mask 3D, it's even more implied they're aliens. There's a picture of the ranch with a UFO flying above it.

Majora's Mask 2: Resurgence

thanks a lot, i didnt wanted to sleep tonight anyway!

psyfi

Banned
an Alien Mothership as a dungeon... I want this now.
The ONLY way I could ever see this working is of they went with a Nausicaa / Castle in the Sky art style that blends fantasy and machines... Otherwise, no. No no no no. The idea is such a huge no to me, haha.

Timeaisis

Uh...would play. I'm ready, Nintendo.

EDIT: Seriously, how cool would high fantasy combined with alien invasion be? Really, really cool.

Kuraudo

Banned
Oh Nintendo. An alien invasion sounds like something you should have sought a serious relationship with rather than just flirting.

Ms.Galaxy

The ONLY way I could ever see this working is of they went with a Nausicaa / Castle in the Sky art style that blends fantasy and machines... Otherwise, no. No no no no. The idea is such a huge no to me, haha.

Well, it can be the same art style and design as the Sheikah Shrines, only in a more massive scale. Those already look pretty alien as is.

AGITΩ

I'd be down for Aliens making a comeback in Zelda and being a central plot. Majora's Mask aliens would get more depth and lore.

andymcc

Banned
Are aliens really that much of an affront to the sensibilities of Zelda fans when this is the same series that gave us this:

kTs2p2E.jpg

Vibranium

Banned
An alien/cosmic horror Zelda game would be awesome. Nintendo could make it a spin-off even. Go wild with designs, who cares if kids(and some adults!) get scared.

Ms.Galaxy

An alien/cosmic horror Zelda game would be awesome. Nintendo could make it a spin-off even. Go wild with designs, who cares if kids(and some adults!) get scared.

If we're going with cosmic horror Zelda, getting Junji Ito on board is a must.

You're right.
You're goddamn right!
I didn't notice it in more than 15 years!
the aliens are the good guys here!

They come every year during the carnival to steal those cows, long before the moon was a threat.

Mael

Then why do they lobotomize Romani?

She's just shocked because she saw nirvana and was rejected because she's not a cow.
Only cows go to heaven.
and now she knows paradise exists but that she will never go there.
she's fully cognitive but just lost the will to live...also the aliens probably let it slip that everyone she knows is going to die because of the moon.
She was sent back because she couldn't let her big sister die alone.

All this talk of an "alien invasion" Zelda game is insane!

Am I alone in thinking that the Fantasy/Medieval setting for a Zelda game is perfect?!?

Kinsei

Banned

Am I alone in thinking that the Fantasy/Medieval setting for a Zelda game is perfect?!?

Who says an alien invasion game means it's not also a Fantasy/Medieval game? Watching the two mix together is the selling point of an alien invasion Zelda for me.

Zelda Invasion needs to happen. Have Zelda/Link/Ganondorf team-up to combat the literal world threat, and have Ganondorf do a last-minute betrayal to try and take their tech for the final boss.

Ms.Galaxy

They've been dabbling with ancient, near alien, technology in Zelda games since Majora's Mask. Every game since then has increased that techs appearance more and more until we finally have literal robots roaming Hyrule and cryostasis chambers. Zelda hasn't been pure fantasy for a long time, only in some occasions. It's been a mix of fantasy and sci-fi elements.

Top Bottom