• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo flirted with a Hyrule Wars game, alien invasions, and Biker Link before BOTW

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, Zelda Invasion looks kinda dope.

Still glad we got BotW out of this lol

I'm pretty into all of these ideas. I'm curious how far along the alien invasion idea got because the style of that UFO looks to be very consistent with a lot of the art in the final game.

morromocotudo

Neo Member
C527XIOU0AAY8Ku.jpg:orig

Source: https://twitter.com/Robot_Circus/status/837031143526420480

C526oXaU0AAczT2.jpg:orig

Source: https://twitter.com/AlfheimWanderer/status/837030316812316672

look guys Hyrule Wars is obviously supposed to be The Legend of Zelda x Advance Wars

Black Hole ain't got shit on Goron tanks

Mr-Joker

Banned
For anyone thinking that Aliens, Link riding a motorcycle and playing a guitar is weird I would like to point out that they have done it before;

Aliens in Majora's Mask
Link riding a motorcycle in Mario Kart 8

Zora Link playing a guitar

And just for fun as people did get worked up over this;

Link drove a train in Spirit Tracks

Weren't alien already present in Ocarina of Time (or was it Majora Mask)? Complete with cow abduction if I just didn't have a bad trip

Yep there was a side quest in Majora's Mask that involved killing Aliens.

Rehynn

I want an Invasion x Biker Link Zelda so badly.

Seriously. I'd play the shit out of that game.

Anyway, this is an awesome glimpse into the creative process at Nintendo. Glad to see they're not afraid to experiment with crazy shit.

Seik

Banned
Bike/guitar Link...WITH JEANS!

Can't even believe they planned something like that.

Invasion sounds cool though, could have been some cool mix-ups with Metroid/Star Fox.

Alien invasion? Not a fan.

But guitarist punk rock Link????? HELL YEAH WOOOOOOOOOOO

Awful. Please never do this. Keep Zelda elegant. Please don't try 'edgy' teen appeal, it's off-putting for everyone.
Speak for yourself!

I LOVE the edgy appeal :)

lolwut? The biker one (as goofy as that art is) does kind of make me want a LoZ set in a post apocalyptic future though. Not like Mad Max or anything. Maybe like an in between of that and Horizon.

Really weird concepts for the game, I guess. The "The Legend of Zelda: Invasion" one might be interesting just because aliens and it reminds me of how there were
aliens in the Majora's Mask side quest on the ranch
. I would need to hear more details fully to see what they were thinking with the concepts though... Especially Biker Link.

Savitar

If they had done those ideas people would have wondered what the hell Nintendo was doing.

It would have been a matter of "yes we wanted different but that's absurd'.

That modern link with the bike and guitar seems like it'd lead to a super weird and interesting game, I'd be down for that for sure. I like that they experimented with some more modern/futuristic stuff when trying to figure out what to do with the new Zelda. Like clearly Breath of the Wild was the way to go right now but I think at some point in the future we're going to see a modern or sci-fi Zelda happen for sure. Internally they clearly want to explore it, the reincarnation stuff makes it an easy thing to keep in-world (Hyrule with modern technology and still Gorons, Zora, etc would be super cool), and now that the public's seen that it was considered there's going to be a hunger for it moving forward.

So they apparently used Skyward Sword's graphic style for that Hyrule Wars experiment. Oh what could've been ;_; I love the SkyS artstyle, wish they would have kept it for BotW.

Dweebo

Banned
Man part of me wishes they would have gone to this level of wackiness. They did it with Super Mario Odyssey at least.

Man part of me wishes they would have gone to this level of wackiness. They did it with Super Mario Odyssey at least.
No they didn't. Super Mario Odyssey is in the realm of Mario. One world has him going to a "real world". Mario doesn't look goofy or wielding a gun or a sword all of a sudden lol.

Top Bottom