• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France "hard at work on Shin Megami Tensei 4's localization"

Rhiwion

Banned
Soon™

htB2L7W.gif

Joqu

Sorry to tell you this, but RF4 Europe has already been confirmed to be cancelled.

Plenty of people still believe it'll be revived.
They're delusional

Bravely Default also had severe shortages (at least in France), so...

And the silent treatment... nothing they could do, really. Also, I believe someone from Atlus said there were some trouble with the licencing part (no idea if accurate or not).

They could have released a quick trailer or at least some kind of confirmation that it's still alive. I haven't heard anything about licencing trouble though.

Mael

I dont believe anything nintendo france says, they're always full of shit
Like when they were the ones that leaked that Xenoblade was getting a special edition with a red classic controller?
Bravely Default also had severe shortages (at least in France), so...

And the silent treatment... nothing they could do, really. Also, I believe someone from Atlus said there were some trouble with the licencing part (no idea if accurate or not).

I can attest to the severe shortages!
Dear god it's the hardest I've had to find a game in the last 10 years, for a major Nintendo release that's downright amazingly stupid.

Faustek

Iwata will be angry that Shibata haven't kept Bole under the leash.

Anyway, seriously screw it. It's way to late, the silent treatment is even worse than SCEEs usual silence when they screw up.

Already imported it.

Wait what? Shortages? For BD? I kept seeing that LE everywhere in Sweden. Got mine day one...looks good from a distance :)

Mael

Iwata will be angry that Shibata haven't kept Bole under the leash.

Anyway, seriously screw it. It's way to late, the silent treatment is even worse than SCEEs usual silence when they screw up.

Already imported it.

Wait what? Shortages? For BD? I kept seeing that LE everywhere in Sweden. Got mine day one...looks good from a distance :)

Well fuck you could have sent some our way!
:mad:
3 weeks to track a copy at the very least!

I just traded in my copy at Target lol. This is a fail on Nintendo's part for taking so long.

There's Target in Europe?

Tizoc

Was Ace Attorney 5 released in Europe in English only or does it have languages as per the country you buy it from (eg Spain, etc.)?
Cuz if so, and if Capcom can release a game in Europe within MONTHS of its Japanese release, then I find it difficult to find localizing SMT4 for Europe to be referred as being 'hard at work on'.

Was Ace Attorney 5 released in Europe in English only or does it have languages as per the country you buy it from (eg Spain, etc.)?
Cuz if so, and if Capcom can release a game in Europe within MONTHS of its Japanese release, then I find it difficult to find localizing SMT4 for Europe to be referred as being 'hard at work on'.
English only

Tenki

English only.

Edit: damn, beaten.

Wait, so a year after announcing the game they start to work on the script. Great. Why do I imagine this being like internally the IGS translations were done 6 months ago but the F side ran into troubles (say a major member suddenly quit and they can't find anyone to fill the position reduced manpower means low priority project like this and devilish brain training are shelved and can't be released due to F missing).

an Atlus game in french? is this real life ?

still gonna play in english, sorry translators
Etrian Odyssey was also NOE published as was Trauma Center and they were FIGS. They also had some weird UK changes...something like Troubadour to Bard (there are Troubadour in Fire Emblem for goodness sake...).

I also remember people e-mailing Nintendo Europe and they said it was Atlus doing the localization for Europe.
Nintendo UK customer services were saying that to some people and given the lightning quick copy paste of random things into barely coherent sentences that is their response it is all too easy that they just copied the developer info as publisher.

They did not tell me Atlus USA, the German side did not either and Atlus USA ignored me because I was European (I even said, look guys, you need to step in and stop this misinformation).

English only. Shame as their previous self published Ace Attorney game (Investigations) was also swiftly after the US release and had a Spanish translation. I think it kind of killed the franchise in Europe (I hope the AA localsiations changed names to keep the puns going and the like).

Mael

Wait, so a year after announcing the game they start to work on the script. Great. Why do I imagine this being like internally the IGS translations were done 6 months ago but the F side ran into troubles (say a major member suddenly quit and they can't find anyone to fill the position reduced manpower means low priority project like this and devilish brain training are shelved and can't be released due to F missing).

This is the actual quote :
Cela nous paraît important d'apporter en France, qui est très réceptive aux jeux japonais, ce genre de titres et de soigner leur localisation. Nous travaillons activement sur la traduction française de Shin Megami Tensei IV, un autre jeu de rôle japonais.

It says nothing on when they started or the status of the localisation other than that it's underway, so where did you get the idea that they just started?

Faustek

Well fuck you could have sent some our way!
:mad:
3 weeks to track a copy at the very least!

There's Target in Europe?

That sucks :/ seems as Nintendo has been very careful when coming to printed copies.
A way to force DDs? Or just afraid of cumbersome stock? Either way they should know rpg's can sell well. You know, when you advertise it.

Well Nintendo has very little presence up North. They shut down Club Nintendo and let a third party, Nintendo Bergslagen, deal with everything. That's when Nintendo started dying for me.

Zornica

Banned
They are probably going to show it at our version of the e3 direct.

bravely default was sold out too over here btw...
and layton x aa still is T_T

Mael

That sucks :/ seems as Nintendo has been very careful when coming to printed copies.
A way to force DDs? Or just afraid of cumbersome stock? Either way they should know rpg's can sell well. You know, when you advertise it.

Well Nintendo has very little presence up North. They shut down Club Nintendo and let a third party, Nintendo Bergslagen, deal with everything. That's when Nintendo started dying for me.

I guess a local presence can mean a lot, I'm very VERY surprised that we had so little stock to deal with.
I mean it's the same guys who handled Xenoblades and the other Rainfall games perfectly (if a bit late), no issue with any stock or anything.
I have no idea why they were so shy about it, I'd say it's because it might be a low margin game since Nintendo didn't make it so they had to split the revenue but...
Seriously Nintendo France sucked before but now they're really well handled so I know your pain believe me :/

Tizoc

English only

Mhmm, in that case I could see at least a year for the game to be localized and released in EU but for it to take so long...man they must've had some other priorities or something.

Well I'm glad it's still coming but honestly after all this long delay I might only get it if I can find it for silly cheap =/

Salih

...where is that whiny thread again where people bitched about no localization info. some of you just need to learn to remain patient.

Hugstable

Banned
...where is that whiny thread again where people bitched about no localization info. some of you just need to learn to remain patient.

To be fair we in the US got SMT: IV over a year ago, with Europe hearing literally nothing about the game during this whole time until now. They had a right to complain.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
fuck this, i bought a NTSC XL just to play it, and I did!

ah well who cares, games are still cheaper :p glad it's coming though!

Faustek

I guess a local presence can mean a lot, I'm very VERY surprised that we had so little stock to deal with.
I mean it's the same guys who handled Xenoblades and the other Rainfall games perfectly (if a bit late), no issue with any stock or anything.
I have no idea why they were so shy about it, I'd say it's because it might be a low margin game since Nintendo didn't make it so they had to split the revenue but...
Seriously Nintendo France sucked before but now they're really well handled so I know your pain believe me :/

Glad to hear they don't suck anymore :)

But a funny thing, Nintendo Bergslagen has announced that we'll be part of the Kart promotional thingy(free game) which is..well awesome but really strange. They never do anything right, has my cynical side worried.

It says nothing on when they started or the status of the localisation other than that it's underway, so where did you get the idea that they just started?
How big is the script? From the localising Hotel Dusk interview (LOL I'm the top google result for that) that was est. 80,000 (actual 120,000) in English and took 4 weeks to complete. For it to be a year of work SMTIV would have to be around the 1,000,000 words mark. Of course like the interview says word count alone is not an accurate measure. I can imagine demon names could have their toll and also there is matter of just how many projects are being done in parallel (these days it seems like a lot), these can all slow things down.

But still can you get an idea of why I feel it should be beyond the underway part by now?

Of course this is assuming that the Nintendo Direct mention was actually "we've got everything down and are ready to start" and not a lie* to convince people not to buy US 3DS systems (whenever the topic is bought up several people say, the Nintendo Direct was the reason they got an EU 3DS so it worked).
*-As in better get on the phone to Atlus after this.

Please explain how long patient should be? A month? A year? We got over the year point a few weeks ago (that was the thread with the poll) and were near the year during the erm February or March ND (whichever actually happened) which I think is the one you were thinking of.

When a game gets announced for localization and a whole year passes without its existence being acknowledged in even the most insignificant way, people have a good reason to ask wtf is going on. That type of silence isn't normal in this industry.

Jisgsaw

More than a year without a word from neither Atlus nor Nintendo (which is longer than any non atlus game needs to get localized from US to PAL, let alone communicating about it), yeah that's not a good sign, even if this time it apparently went well.

How big is the script? From the localising Hotel Dusk interview (LOL I'm the top google result for that) that was est. 80,000 (actual 120,000) in English and took 4 weeks to complete. For it to be a year of work SMTIV would have to be around the 1,000,000 words mark. Of course like the interview says word count alone is not an accurate measure. I can imagine demon names could have their toll and also there is matter of just how many projects are being done in parallel (these days it seems like a lot), these can all slow things down.

I'd guess the QA for SMTIV should also take a lot longer than for Hotel Dusk, even if that'S probably not the main reason for the delay.

Zornica

Banned
To be fair we in the US got SMT: IV over a year ago, with Europe hearing literally nothing about the game during this whole time until now. They had a right to complain.

When a game gets announced for localization and a whole year passes without its existence being acknowledged in even the most insignificant way, people have a good reason to ask wtf is going on. That type of silence isn't normal in this industry.

have you ever heard of "Monado"?
(and others)

Clockwork5

I am happy you guys are at least getting some news. This was my first smt game and I enjoyed it, been thinking about digging back into it.

Jisgsaw

(and others)

That wasn't a year.
And that were only three games.

Now imagine what happened to Xenoblade in the US happening to every single Atlus game (plus it being in spanish only 90% of the time). That's what we get in Europe.

Faustek

(and others)

Seriously? It's what? 3-5 games that we get before you instead of the plethora of games that never see the light here? Also, did you ever get official announcements about those games to it becoming vapourware?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

...It's been over a fucking year. This shit shouldn't fly anymore. It's not the 90s.

Semajer

Actual honest SMTIV news? ABOUT FUCKING TIME.

It would be extremely cruel at this point to translate it and then never actually release it.

Gently touches picture frame of Fatal Frame 4.

Ironjam

Good thing about this is that it will have a physical version. If this came out digital only after a year of waiting i would've sold my 3ds instantly...

Khrno

Did SMT4 got released on the eShop in America? Depending when it finally releases here in Europe I might not be able to get a retail copy (cheap, as in without overpriced postage) and would need to get it on the eShop instead.

Zornica

Banned
That wasn't a year.
And that were only three games.

Now imagine what happened to Xenoblade in the US happening to every single Atlus game (plus it being in spanish only 90% of the time). That's what we get in Europe.

true, but:

EU April 13, 2012[3]

NA April 16, 2013[4]
Looks like a year to me.
hint: It's pandoras tower

also there were more than "only three games". There are actually way more games which never came out in the US but had an release in Europe than most people realize. Especially during the last ~6 years.

Seriously? It's what? 3-5 games that we get before you instead of the plethora of games that never see the light here? Also, did you ever get official announcements about those games to it becoming vapourware?

"you"? I'm European too, I'm just sick of our moaning and self-pity. It's pathetic.
Times are changing and games like smt4 are rather the exception than the rule by now - as it should've been from the start. But at least we're making some progress.

Yes, Atlus still sucks for us, but at least we are getting the games faster than before.

Jisgsaw

Actual honest SMTIV news? ABOUT FUCKING TIME.

Actually, that's not even really a SMT IV news, the interview was more for MK8/the WiiU...

Did SMT4 got released on the eShop in America? Depending when it finally releases here in Europe I might not be able to get a retail copy (cheap, as in without overpriced postage) and would need to get it on the eShop instead.

Yes.
They already were numerous price drops and sales on eShop version.

Jisgsaw

true, but:

EU April 13, 2012[3]

NA April 16, 2013[4]
Looks like a year to me.
hint: It's pandoras tower

also there were more than "only three games". There are actually way more games which never came out in the US but had an release in Europe than most people realize. Especially during the last ~6 years.

"you"? I'm European too, I'm just sick of our moaning and self-pity. It's pathetic.
Times are changing and games like smt4 are rather the exception than the rule by now - as it should've been from the start. But at least we're making some progress.

Yes, Atlus still sucks for us, but at least we are getting the games faster than before.

1) I was talking about Xenoblade, as hinted by your post
2) that's the delay between the releases, not any form of anouncement. I seriously doubt the game was announced in Feb. 2013 for the US.
3) I highly doubt there were so much j-RPGs that came out in the EU and not the US. I actually couldn't even name one.
4) Atlus being the last ones to have such delays is on the contrary a serious reason to moan. Smaller companies showed there is absolutely no justification for such delays. And they aren't doing better than before, the delays are more or less the same than 10 years ago, if not worse.

(and others)
I don't understand your point. Monado was announced as a project sure but it isn't the same as saying specifically you are going to localise something then go on radio silence to such an extent (Monado was always in those crappy investors release lists)

Edit: By Monado you meant Pandora's Tower? Okay...

Top Bottom