• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo France "hard at work on Shin Megami Tensei 4's localization"

Peff

Also, I'm surprised at the people thinking Atlus was doing this. There's no Atlus Europe and all their games are handled by a local publisher on a case-by-case basis AFAIK.

Atlus USA has recently started to publish a few games digitally in Europe. Mostly Conception II and Persona 3 FES as a PS2 Classic. The reasoning was that the Nintendo publishing deal might have fallen through and that'd be the only alternative left, but luckily it doesn't seem to be the case.

Jisgsaw

Atlus USA has recently started to publish a few games digitally in Europe. Mostly Conception II and Persona 3 FES as a PS2 Classic. The reasoning was that the Nintendo publishing deal might have fallen through and that'd be the only alternative left, but luckily it doesn't seem to be the case.

The main reason why people thought Atlus was publishing themselves was simply because Nintendo's support explicitly said so a few months (?) ago in response to emails questioning about the release of the game.

Jinko

The problem with that method is that the European branch don't see any of that money, hence why region locking exist in the first place.

Answer me honestly had you imported would have you double dipped and brought the English European version when it get release?

In a global market that should not matter, Sony and MS have both gone region free so what is stopping Nintendo ?

Hell even mobile gaming is region free.

The people willing to import are much much lower than those who will just wait.

Mael

Glad to hear they don't suck anymore :)

But a funny thing, Nintendo Bergslagen has announced that we'll be part of the Kart promotional thingy(free game) which is..well awesome but really strange. They never do anything right, has my cynical side worried.

Actually they might have been displeased with how WiiU sold and wanted to send you a bone I guess ;)
I know these kind of deals did a wonder in making me buy more stuffs from them.
I would have ignored MH3U and AC at least last year if not for that.
It's clearly working.

How big is the script? From the localising Hotel Dusk interview (LOL I'm the top google result for that) that was est. 80,000 (actual 120,000) in English and took 4 weeks to complete. For it to be a year of work SMTIV would have to be around the 1,000,000 words mark. Of course like the interview says word count alone is not an accurate measure. I can imagine demon names could have their toll and also there is matter of just how many projects are being done in parallel (these days it seems like a lot), these can all slow things down.

But still can you get an idea of why I feel it should be beyond the underway part by now?

Of course this is assuming that the Nintendo Direct mention was actually "we've got everything down and are ready to start" and not a lie* to convince people not to buy US 3DS systems (whenever the topic is bought up several people say, the Nintendo Direct was the reason they got an EU 3DS so it worked).
*-As in better get on the phone to Atlus after this.

Please explain how long patient should be? A month? A year? We got over the year point a few weeks ago (that was the thread with the poll) and were near the year during the erm February or March ND (whichever actually happened) which I think is the one you were thinking of.

I have no idea, I'm just saying that's not what the article says.

Z..

too lazy? has it ever occurred to you that MAYBE some people have some trouble with learning other languages?

"Me, me, me, me I don't care about those lazy French, German, Spanish and Italian gamers I don't give a duck if they can't play a game in their language just give me the ducking game now."

You kinda coming of as a selfish entitled gamer. The sheer fact that English isn't your first language holds no weight in your argument.

Nice mentality going...
Not everyone is going to travel abroad, work in business or stuff; A big majority of people simply have no use for a foreign language. That's not being lazy, that's just not wasting one's time if he doesn't feel like it's worth it, or having bigger things to worry about.
You do realize that releasing localized games is how companies like NoE make business and are so popular with the general public? Nintendo sure wouldn't be waving around their numbers for France if they released everything in French there.

If it was any other language, you'd all be completely right. But it's english. And we live in the western world. Knowledge of english is absolutely essential, which is why it's MANDATORY to learn it in school.

It's funny that the countries where they dub everything (instead of subbing) are the only ones who struggle with english. I've been all over Europe, and the only places where I couldn't communicate with people on the street properly in English were France, Italy and Germany (spain would've been problematic too but I also speak spanish). Everywhere else, I didn't have any problems getting directions or communicating with people anywhere. English is the de facto international language of the western world. Basic maths, history and english knowledge should be expected of any European citizen, it's why we're forced to learn it in school.

People have a right to not want to learn it, but don't complain about it when you can't enjoy something because you lack an essential basic skill.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
How big is the script? From the localising Hotel Dusk interview (LOL I'm the top google result for that) that was est. 80,000 (actual 120,000) in English and took 4 weeks to complete. For it to be a year of work SMTIV would have to be around the 1,000,000 words mark. Of course like the interview says word count alone is not an accurate measure. I can imagine demon names could have their toll and also there is matter of just how many projects are being done in parallel (these days it seems like a lot), these can all slow things down.

Can't imagine demon names being hard to translate/localize, since they're all based on existing mythological figures that already have proper names in those languages.

metalisticpain

Neo Member
Can't imagine demon names being hard to translate/localize, since they're all based on existing mythological figures that already have proper names in those languages.

Lets be honest though. 80% of the Demon names are already localised 8 times over. They don't change much in the SMT multiverse.

The fact that we are still dealing with this stuff in 2014 is saddening me.

I can't muster to double dip on EU titles AGAIN just to support local translation even if I have played the US/Japanese version months before. Persona Q and SMT IV don't make things easier and I won't double dip on those titles even if I could (can't do it anyway now because of the wonderful region lock).

For me, that practice ends here. If Persona 5 gets region locked then I don't know what to say.....

Pikma

Banned
It surprises me how open he is about the WiiU sales problems, more open than any other Nintendo employee I've heard/read.

Oswen

So, i guess Nintendo had to do the localization in the end.
Still not believing till i play it!

OK personal theory from me, perhaps atlus originally planned to release it themselves or signed a small publisher to release it, perhaps then atlus or whoever planned to only release it in English, after some thinking they may realised that the market for 3ds games and for RPGs is bigger in some other countries (France especially) but they didn't have the staff or resources to do a full multiple language localisation so passed it on to Nintendo however negotiating a deal to do this could've taken some considerable time

Tizoc

The fact that we are still dealing with this stuff in 2014 is saddening me.

I can't muster to double dip on EU titles AGAIN just to support local translation even if I have played the US/Japanese version months before. Persona Q and SMT IV don't make things easier and I won't double dip on those titles even if I could (can't do it anyway now because of the wonderful region lock).

For me, that practice ends here. If Persona 5 gets region locked then I don't know what to say.....

Persona 5 won't get region locked, fuck's sake man it was just 1 game! 1 Game!

Could we have waited 2 days for a bump (who am I kidding we might get a Still no e3: SMTIV info thread).
Lets be honest though. 80% of the Demon names are already localised 8 times over. They don't change much in the SMT multiverse.
Fair enough but maybe the master document of such things went missing (or never existed for FIGS).

I just have to stick to my low priority or manpower theory. I mean last year had a lot of text, Chibi Robo coming out next month suggests lower priority things are getting delayed but given SMTIV was important enough to be announced on an ND suggests something caused a delay, something which would be unprofessional to talk about*.

*-Index going under meltdown.

Top Bottom