• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo, give me Wario Land 6. (a wario land retrospective)

Rich!

Way back in 1994 after I got a Game Boy for my birthday (without any games), I went to the local Curry's in the high street to find a game. I ended up choosing a game which I didn't know anything about other than it was top of the new releases chart, and had a cool cover. It was my first ever game, and it was this:

hblbon.jpg

Amazing game, still superb to play. Going back to Super Mario Land 1 and 2 after this was odd, and I've always felt Wario Land was the best of the three.

Wario Land VB I didn't get to play until many years later - but holy shit is it amazing. It takes the gameplay from WL1 and hones it to perfection, put together with awesome visuals and music. I played through it only once in VB migraine-o-vision, but it left a lasting impression. 3DS VC release, please. One of the best platformers ever made, and no one's bloody played it.

20130829153350!Wario_Land_II.jpg

By the time I first heard about Wario Land 2 through Nintendo Official Magazine, WL1 had firmly placed itself as one of my all time favourite games. I managed to get a copy of the original monochrome version upon release when en route to Madrid in 1998. Regarded by many to be the best in the series, it expands further upon the basic gameplay in WL1. However, it also removes game over/death and introduces enemy based transformations, puzzles based on said transformations, and a non-linear progression with a huge amount of secrets.

Wario Land 2 received a conversion to colour upon the GBC's release. This edition contained both the original monochrome version as well as the rejigged colour version which also eliminated any slowdown present in the original release due to the improved specs of the GBC. The version chosen was dependent on the console being used, but the save games were not interchangeable.

Now we come to the GBC-only Wario Land 3. Personally, this is my favourite of the entire series. It takes the puzzle elements introduced with the transformations in Wario Land 2 and runs with it. The world is divided into a number of stages, of which only one is available to begin with. As you progress through the worlds, you gain new abilities which open up previously inaccessible areas and subsequently open up new worlds. It's essentially the Wario Land formula mixed with Metroid style progression. It's got a huge amount of depth, carries on even after you've beaten the final boss, and the graphics are simply some of the best the GBC produced.

Wario_Land_4_Coverart.jpg

Wario Land 4 for the GBA scaled back on the elements focused on in 3 whilst still retaining the puzzles and transformations that the series has become known for. Filled with fucking bizarre graphics, music and extras (dat music select), the game is a significant milestone in Wario becoming even weirder, leading to WarioWare. As a platformer, it's near flawless. The platforming is better than it's ever been, and even though a health bar has been introduced, the transformation and puzzle dynamic is as effective as before (despite being scaled down significantly from 3).

wario_land_shakeUK_itUK_boxart_160w.jpg

Wario Land Shake Dimension/Shake It for the Wii was developed by Good Feel, and essentially followed the formula set out in Wario Land 4. The transformation dynamic was all but removed, but the gameplay remained as great as before. However, the main selling point were those goddamn handdrawn graphics:

wario-land-shake-it-20080725013434767.jpg

903891-946578_20080923_020.jpg

It's a shame it seems to be forgotten in the series. It's one of the best games the Wii has to offer, imo.

Anyway. Wario Land Shake was released in 2008. That was 7 years ago. So like, where's Wario Land 6? Super Wario Bros? Goddamnit Nintendo.

Neiteio

I was just thinking about this series today.

Surely my ESP link with Richisawesome triggered him to make this thread.

Metal-Geo

Wario Land 4 is an incredible gem on the Game Boy Advance - and my favourite in the series.

Year of Wario next? Nintendo?

BusterJol

Wario Land 4 is my favorite game ever. I need to play Wario Land on the Virtual Boy at least once in my life. I would welcome and love a new Wario Land!

HagiG7

Given your love for the franchise you might want to check the book "Game Design Companion: A Critical Analysis of Wario Land 4".

It's a 600-page in-depth analysis that covers every aspect of the game's design.

Rich!

I'll take a Wario & Waluigi rpg from AlphaDream instead.

Considering Dream Team is one of the most excruciatingly tedious games I have ever had the absolute sheer masochistic mispleasure of playing in my life, I would hope that never happens.

Wario games have never had tutorials (not counting the signs in the initial stage of WL4 and 5). I would rather not have Nintendo produce a Wario game that consists almost entirely of mind-numbing tutorials.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Wario Land Shake Dimension was the reason why I got a Wii and I was not disappointed, it's a great game.

But yeah I would love to see the Wario Land series to return, but it seems that Nintendo has forgotten about that series and seem care more about the Wario Ware series, heck Smash seem to show case this or New Super Mario Bros 2 which entire focus was about collecting a lot of coins something that is more suited for Wario.

scotttheduck

Neo Member

I've heard people say that Waluigi doesn't deserve his own game because he isn't much of a character, more just iconography based on twisting other characters. I think that's even more of a reason why he should get a game to flesh him out (as much as any Mario character can be fleshed out).

Who am I kidding. I just want him to have his own game so he is more likely to be a playable fighter in the next Smash Bros.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
WL2 is my favourite for it's world and gameplay and WL4 for it's amazing style in both graphics and sound. WL2 is easily among the top 5 GB games ever made

KNT-Zero

I remember getting Wario Land in hopes Mario was gonna be there (because of the subtitle lol) then after a few levels I forgot about him. Then I became a total Wario fan and played all of the following games as soon as I could (I recently played the Virtual Boy one!).

Git really good memories from these games, hope Nintendo gives us another one in this style! (And please not like Master of Disguise...)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I don't want to count how many hours I spent playing Warioland on the Gameboy. The original and IV were incredible.

I might have been one of the five people who bought Shake Dimension and it was such a beautiful, if a little plain, game. Remember that cool youtube ad where it shook? Great times. Wario seems like a dead character what with the decline of Land and WarioWare.

Rich!

I've heard people say that Waluigi doesn't deserve his own game because he isn't much of a character, more just iconography based on twisting other characters. I think that's even more of a reason why he should get a game to flesh him out (as much as any Mario character can be fleshed out).

Who am I kidding. I just want him to have his own game so he is more likely to be a playable fighter in the next Smash Bros.

Waluigi would fit perfectly in a game that is 100% self aware. He can be the Deadpool of Nintendo.

roytheone

I actually had been thinking about making a thread about the wario land series, guess that is no longer necessary! Warioland 2 and 3 are some of the best, most original platformers Nintendo has ever made. Discovering that I only completed half of the game after defeating the final boss of WL 2 ranks as one of my most memorable gaming moments ever. Having to return to old levels with new abilities metroid style in WL 3 was also fantastic. In comparison, WL 4 was a bit more standard, which was a little disappointing. Game was still great though. I am all for a WL 6 if Nintendo returns to the more non linear level progression of 2 and 3.

HUELEN10

Given your love for the franchise you might want to check the book "Game Design Companion: A Critical Analysis of Wario Land 4".

It's a 600-page in-depth analysis that covers every aspect of the game's design.
And what a book it is!

Seriously, if you love Nintendo and are even slightly curious about learning the theory of great game design, this book is a must buy and an essential required read.

The Wario games sadly I barely played. Only a bit of 4 and World.

Speaking of, Rich what do you think of Wario World on the Gamecube?

I enjoy this series quite a bit, but I'm not a fan of the "race to the exit" gameplay the later entries introduced. Still, the whole transformation angle and near-invulnerability made for some really creative puzzle-platforming. I could definitely go for another entry.

I would love to see him back but don't like what the series has become since Wario Land 4, and that was still acceptable. "Shake It" is the ultimate letdown in the series, it felt like a runner/puzzle game and got me bored quickly, killing enemies is useless and doesn't even give you a coin, is this a Wario Land?
On top of that I sill dislike the artstyle, cahracters and world aren't cohesive.

Rich!

The Wario games sadly I barely played. Only a bit of 4 and World.

Speaking of, Rich what do you think of Wario World on the Gamecube?

Wario World is cool, and the design ethos of Treasure shines throughout. It's hilariously short though.

MrBadger

I'd be down for this too. I think the humour in the M&L RPG's is perfect for Wario and especially Waluigi. Plus I really want another Alpha Dream RPG. There's so much I love in Dream Team but I just find no pleasure in replaying it because of the things I don't like. They need to use those visuals again.

I'd settle for a new WarioWare, it's been too long since we got a proper one (longer than the last Land).

I've owned 4 and Shake It but never finished either. I never wanted to select new levels because they took forever to complete and were boring. Beat most of 4, beat the first world or two of Shake It. Snore fest.

I think I played most of World too? Wario platformers have always come across as Nintendo bringing in the D team. None of that Nintendo charm.

I guess "forgettable" is the word I'm looking for. Wario World reminded me a lot of Glover and Pac-Man World.

Good, I have this thread to talk about how absolutely GREAT Wario Land Virtual Boy is, because it is absolutely stellar. Everything about it, from the foreground/background platforming play and exceptional level design based around that conceit, the optional hidden items (that get moved around to new locations in NG+ and thus greatly improve the second playthrough), the music, the graphics (ignore the red and black and the locations look absolutely wonderful), is stunning.

It's one of my twenty most favorite games ever. I come back to it every few years and it's as good as it has ever been.

It is an utter shame that Wario Land VB is stuck on an old shame of a console for Nintendo because if I could get just one remake from them, it would be this game in full color on the WiiU. Hell, if they announce Wario Land VB remade for whatever their next home console is, I will buy that console with no other promise of games. That's how truly great I think Wario Land VB is. I'd put it right up there with SMB, SMB3, SMW, SMW2: YI, SML2: 6GC, SM 64, or any other platformer that Nintendo has ever made that is great.

Rich!

I'd be down for this too. I think the humour in the M&L RPG's is perfect for Wario and especially Waluigi. Plus I really want another Alpha Dream RPG. There's so much I love in Dream Team but I just find no pleasure in replaying it because of the things I don't like. They need to use those visuals again.

I love the music, visuals and core gameplay in Dream Team.

I absolutely hate the relentless tutorials, tedious and repetitive battles (aside from the luiginary moves, there's fuck all variety) and the TERRIBLE giant battles. No Nintendo, I do not want to destroy my N3DS screen.

Rich!

Good, I have this thread to talk about how absolutely GREAT Wario Land Virtual Boy is, because it is absolutely stellar. Everything about it, from the foreground/background platforming play and exceptional level design based around that conceit, the optional hidden items (that get moved around to new locations in NG+ and thus greatly improve the second playthrough), the music, the graphics (ignore the red and black and the locations look absolutely wonderful), is stunning.

It's one of my twenty most favorite games ever. I come back to it every few years and it's as good as it has ever been.

It is an utter shame that Wario Land VB is stuck on an old shame of a console for Nintendo because if I could get just one remake from them, it would be this game in full color on the WiiU. Hell, if they announce Wario Land VB remade for whatever their next home console is, I will buy that console with no other promise of games. That's how truly great I think Wario Land VB is. I'd put it right up there with SMB, SMB3, SMW, SMW2: YI, SML2: 6GC, SM 64, or any other platformer that Nintendo has ever made that is great.

damn straight

oh, by the way:

virtual-boy-trademark-eu.jpg

Virtual Console incoming?

RyType

I love this series but it kinda feels like nintendo associates wario with the wario ware games these days... I don't recall ever seeing a captain syrup trophy or something similar in the smash games. :( would love to replay virtualboy warioland. Only ever played it once back in the day and thought it was the best one- though it's been so long since I've even seen a virtual boy that could just be nostalgia talking.

HUELEN10

I do want a new Wario Land, but I think it can wait a bit; make it something huge, maybe a flagship 9th gen game!

What I'd kill for is Diamond Software VS Wario Ware Inc. after all, something that never got resolved is if Mona and her crew (Jimmy, Orbulon, Ashley, and 9-Volt) ever reconciled with Wario business-wise.

Rich!

I love this series but it kinda feels like nintendo associates wario with the wario ware games these days... I don't recall ever seeing a captain syrup trophy or something similar in the smash games. :( would love to replay virtualboy warioland. Only ever played it once back in the day and thought it was the best one- though it's been so long since I've even seen a virtual boy that could just be nostalgia talking.

there definitely is one. I swear I saw one in Brawl or U.

roytheone

BTW, did anybody here played wario: master of disguise? I heard it was quite crappy, but I always wondered if it was a spiritual successor to WL 4.

Metal-Geo

Whoa... I had no idea such a thing existed. I'm gonna hunt that down right now.

Kouriozan

Wario Land 2 is my favorite just because there is tons of secrets/hidden paths. It was an absolute joy trying to 100% and I did 100% it again on 3DS.
Also 100%ed Shake It and thought it was awesome as well. I'm all for a new Wario platformer/puzzle game.

Rich!

That bad eh? I remember being interested in that game just because I was such a huge wario land fan. Guess I dogged a bullet there by forgetting about it.

Its one of the worst games Nintendo has ever produced.

Its Urban Champion levels of bad.

Madao

Wario Land Shake It is one of the games in my backlog. it's good that i've been saving it for when a really big urge to play a new Wario game comes around since there haven't been any sequels and it would suck big time to get that urge and have no game to play.

also, i never played VB Wario Land thanks to the console. i really hope that comes out on VC as a special release or something (there's so few VB games around that it doesn't look like they'll bother with that device)

Its one of the worst games Nintendo has ever produced.

Its Urban Champion levels of bad.

the key words are: Outsourced to a shitty dev.

it was also the same shitty dev that made the last 2 GBA F-Zero games.

Rich!

Actually...crazy thought, but I think Wayforward could do a decent Wario title.

Shantae and the Pirates Curse is amazing. And the 2D graphics are incredible in 3D.

Mr-Joker

Banned
How well did Wario Land Shake Dimension and Wario: Master of Disguise sell? Maybe sales were dropping off causing Nintendo to shift focus on the Warioware series.

RyType

there definitely is one. I swear I saw one in Brawl or U.

Are you sure? I only ever recall seeing Wario ware characters getting a mention (which I still think are great anyway)

One of the things I loved about the early wario games were the freaky looking bosses, i remember the virtual boy one having an amazing looking 3D effect for its time...

Rich!

Are you sure? I only ever recall seeing Wario ware characters getting a mention (which I still think are great anyway)

One of the things I loved about the early wario games were the freaky looking bosses, i remember the virtual boy one having an amazing looking 3D effect for its time...

I've looked through the lists online and can't find the syrup trophy....but I swear I saw one! Im pretty certain it was melee, I will have to load up my save file and have a look.

Edit: I can definitely remember it now. Melee, and it stated Super Mario Land 3:Wario Land as the game at the bottom of the screen. Unless I'm imagining it!!

Top Bottom