• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo, give me Wario Land 6. (a wario land retrospective)

I've looked through the lists online and can't find the syrup trophy....but I swear I saw one! Im pretty certain it was melee, I will have to load up my save file and have a look.

Edit: I can definitely remember it now. Melee, and it stated Super Mario Land 3:Wario Land as the game at the bottom of the screen. Unless I'm imagining it!!
I think you dreamt that lol

steveovig

I just replayed most of these recently and my favorite is probably Wario Land 2. It's right in the middle of straight platformer (Wario Land 1) and less linear platformer (Wario Land 3). 3 was my least favorite and I didn't like all the gimmicks and how they were implemented. I just wanted more of 2! I like 4 but I could never bring myself to beat it. Shake It is my 2nd favorite and I loved beating it when it launched. I tried it again 2 weeks ago and couldn't stand the motion control levels, specifically the subs. I ended up giving up since I had initially wanted to finally 100% the game but I didn't want to deal with those levels.

I haven't played the VB game since it was in stores but I remember liking it a lot. Too bad they couldn't port it to the 3DS.

1 is kinda boring to me and I haven't been able to bring myself to beat it yet.

LeleSocho

Banned
Wario Land 4 is crazy good and not by the usual metrics.
It's a desert in the level department: only 18, and the gameplay is pretty much borrowed from the past entries and yet... the game has an incredible and unique charm that you immediately notice.
Everything is extremely weird in a great way starting with the design of the character like the cat/
princess
, the professor, the mysterious Mr.Game&Watch lookalike and the final boss. The music too have something within them, that calming song in Palm Tree Paradise, those weird portraits in the sound test room, the credits roll pictures...
It's clear that the game has been made with another culture compared to the other 3-4 entries and it's like it wants to tell me something that i can't quite get it but i know it's there.
I know that it's probably seeing things where there's actually nothing and i'm full of crap but WL4 has this weird aura that doesn't make stop wondering what the game actually is.

MagnesD3

Id kill for a Wario Land on the 3DS, the wario land games are probably my favorite 2d platformers. It saddens me that Wario Land didnt happen on the original DS and I sure hope they dont pass the series up on the 3ds.

I hope nintendo knows how good that series is. (Hell if they didnt want to use wario since he is in the warioware games they could always give Waluigi his own game, aka Waluigi Land.)

PS. Wario Land 2 is my favorite wario land due to all the branching paths and endings.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wario Land Shake It! is incredible. Such an overlooked gem, much like most of the Wii library :/

Junahu

Given your love for the franchise you might want to check the book "Game Design Companion: A Critical Analysis of Wario Land 4".

It's a 600-page in-depth analysis that covers every aspect of the game's design.
Bought it, read it, loved it. It's really a great book for people wanting to really dig into video game analysis. It's probably important to note that the book is intended as an example of his style of critical analysis, to teach others how to look at a game with strict objectivity. It's not a platform for him to gush about Wario Land 4, even if it reads that way sometimes.

My favourite parts are "Premise and Interaction set in context" and "Wario: A Personality Profile"/"Mario and Wario - A Character Comparison".
The former goes into detail about how the player's actions provide a narrative for the game, when projected against the context provided by the game. Not in a linear "Wario hit the enemy and then collected some jewels" way, but in a way that reveals the personality and intent of the game's actors.
The latter extends that by providing an analysis of what the game's mechanics and the interplay of game elements says about Wario as a character.

Edit: There's also some interesting mentions of the symbiosis between the player and the player avatar; each one providing separate halves of a full character.
This is how immersion works; you integrate the player's perspective and agency in a way that meshes with the gameworld.

rjc571

Banned
Wario Land Shake It is so terrific. I can beat it 100% over and over again and never get sick of it. It's an all time classic in my book.

leroidys

Such a fantastic series. My favorites are the first game and Warioland 4. And yes, the 3DS SCREAMS for virtual boy ports. C'mon Iwata.

RichardKSJ

I really, really loved Shake It. I never really had the chance to play the older games in the series.

My friend has a lot of them maybe I should ask to barrow them.

Also Virtual Boy on the Virtual Console (heh) would be great. My father used to own one but I was too young to remember it or even play it.

Glowsquid

How well did Wario Land Shake Dimension and Wario: Master of Disguise sell? Maybe sales were dropping off causing Nintendo to shift focus on the Warioware series.

Shake It eventually did a million worldwide (but not much more) but Master of Disguise was an huge bomb. I don't think most consider it a WL game, though.

Eolz

I really thought they would announce a new one last year. Love Wario Land, my top 3 would probably be 2>SI>VB.
I wouldn't like him to just be the one from warioware. His adventures as an antihero are always fun.
Also, Syrup > Mona.

I wanna revisit Wario Land 3 again. I played the shit out of it as a kid and remember loving it, but reading how it takes a lot of inspiration from Metroid has me excited to try it again. I think when I get paid next, I wanna binge-buy a few Virtual Console games. I wanna play the Mario Land games again, then Wario Land 3.

Wario Land 4's bosses are fucking terrifying. The designs for all of them were so surreal and really creepy.

Dear god Wario Land 4 is amazing. Wario World as well, despite its length. I'd definitely be down for a Wario World sequel with a bit more meat to it.

Moskibear

Warioland was so great to me because it was the first Nintendo game that I played where I was playing an actual villain, but aside from that the gameplay was different enough from the standard Mario Land titles that came before it. a new one would be fantastic but a far fetch at this moment, who knows what the future holds however.

nkarafo

First Warioland had the most rewarding endings system. The more treasures you got the better your "house" was. There was even a different ending if you managed to cap the gold meter. I just wanted to get the best home for Wario so i was coming back to get more treasures.

Choomp

Banned
Yes, this is something I also want. Wouldn't mind something like Wario World for Wii U either, I really enjoyed that as well. I'm sure if they could just do almost like similar look to the Mario 3D games like they did with Captain Toad it'd be something that's a bit more possible. But hey, Wario Land was awesome, I want that too.

Considering Dream Team is one of the most excruciatingly tedious games I have ever had the absolute sheer masochistic mispleasure of playing in my life, I would hope that never happens.

Wario games have never had tutorials (not counting the signs in the initial stage of WL4 and 5). I would rather not have Nintendo produce a Wario game that consists almost entirely of mind-numbing tutorials.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but whenever Wario got a new ability in 3, a cutscene showed what it does

Jaffaboy

I played 1, 2, and 4. Absolutely legendary games. I have Shake Dimension but had fallen out of love with the Wii by that point and never played it. I think now is a good time to dig it out.

Responding to the idea posed in the thread, I'd be super down with it. Wario Land is one of my favourite game series. Though, I'd really enjoy it if they took him back to his II/3 roots, but kept a similar engine as Shake It! uses.

jeremy1456

I've only played the first Wario Land, Wario Land VB, Wario Land 4, and Wario Land: Shake It.

I can't quite explain it but I'm just not a big fan of the franchise. The only one I liked is VB (it outclasses even most Mario titles).

Are 2 and 3 much better than the others I've played?

DungeonO

Master of Disguise is much better than the OP attests. At least better than WL4.

Fantastic soundtrack too.

Master of Disguise is a Metroidvania game more so than a straight Wario Land game. In fact, its not really Wario Land at all. But I liked it. I'd love to see it get a second life on the Wii U VC.

I've only played the first Wario Land, Wario Land VB, Wario Land 4, and Wario Land: Shake It.

I can't quite explain it but I'm just not a big fan of the franchise. The only one I liked is VB (it outclasses even most Mario titles).

Are 2 and 3 much better than the others I've played?

2 and 3 are routinely considered the best in the series, mostly because of how puzzle-oriented they are.

I cant believe we havent got a Wario Land game on 3ds, I guess Nintendo cant put waifus in it..

Well...

Captain_Syrup_Crystal_Starman_by_SigurdHosenfeld.jpg

Junahu

I cant believe we havent got a Wario Land game on 3ds, I guess Nintendo cant put waifus in it..
The most common plot thread in the Wario games is Wario becoming an accidental hero, simply because the villain is in the way of the treasure he wants. He does a surprising amount of waifu rescuing
WL4-Wario%27s_Kiss_Screenshot1.png

It's straight up criminal how they've never dug up Princess Shokora (Wario Land 4) for Mario Kart
WL4-Wario%27s_Kiss_Screenshot4.png

Especially since she already has a baby form ready to go.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've only played the first game and Shake It... The whole GBC -> pre-SP-GBA era was a big blank spot in my Nintendo-playing memory. First game was pretty good albeit easy, and with some really grating music. Seriously, wtf is this??? I even grinded stage 1-6 to get the best ending. It may be my favorite out of the SML trilogy, though 1 might edge it out for its amazing music.

Shake It was OK but I didn't like how the game seemed to lock out the optional collectibles if you didn't execute everything perfectly in sequence. I got most of the treasures and then just said "fuck this" and went and beat the game... lovely art style though, one I wish more 2D games adapted.

MagnesD3

Not only would I kill for a new Wario Land title Id also love to have the Wario Land VB be ported to 3ds, Ive sadly never gotten to play it due to its obscurity, but I would love to be able too.

Also If we cant have a brand new Wario Land here is what the spiritual successor should look like.

waluigi_land_by_theanimationgod-d603su2.jpg

gerudoman

A series so awesome I struggle to find my favourite game, depending on the day you ask me it could be 2, 3, 4 or The Shake Dimension. I played the first one a couple of months ago for the first time and it's a nice little game which holds up surprisingly well.

Wario Land 4's bosses are fucking terrifying. The designs for all of them were so surreal and really creepy.

Dear god Wario Land 4 is amazing. Wario World as well, despite its length. I'd definitely be down for a Wario World sequel with a bit more meat to it.
I like that all the major characters that inhabit the pyramid (the bosses, the princess, golden diva and even the unkillable enemies like the pig and pirate) are all actually dead, with the exception of the first boss.
Spoiled_Rotten_Wario_Land_4.png

Honestly my favourite series of all time next to Warioware, depending on my mood. I fucking love Wario and nothing would get me more hyped than a new Wario Land. I replay Wario Land 4 every year.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Wario Land 4 is the best game available for GBA, no question. Golden Passage is such a glorious piece of platforming.

SegaShack

Wario Land 1 is my favorite. I liked 4 a lot too, but 2 and 3 were way to puzzley for me. I like the action oriented gameplay of 1.

Top Bottom