• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo giving Devs free Wii U kits?

maverick40

X, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, WW HD, retros game, yoshi yarn, smtxfe, other unknown collabs...

Granted these games should be further along in development, but keep in mind 3DS didnt have games instantly either and its doing well today.

None of the games you have mentioned even have release dates yet! What are current Wii U owners supposed to do? Just wait for these titles to release and be happy? The 3ds is totally different though, it's only competition is the floundering Vita. The Wii U has the two twins arriving in a few months to fuck it up. What are potential buyers going to find more appealing come christmas 2013? A new battlefield, Uncharted, Halo (Insert popular 1st or 3rd party game here) or Pikmin 3 and Wonderfull 101?

Darryl

Banned
bro a bunch of those games are gonna be out this year, not just pikmin and w101. they said that all of them would be. nintendo always makes very fair releases dates. you're creating a fairy tale nintendoomed situation.

None of the games you have mentioned even have release dates yet! What are current Wii U owners supposed to do? Just wait for these titles to release and be happy? The 3ds is totally different though, it's only competition is the floundering Vita. The Wii U has the two twins arriving in a few months to fuck it up. What are potential buyers going to find more appealing come christmas 2013? A new battlefield, Uncharted, Halo (Insert popular 3rd party game here) or Pikmin 3 and Wonderfull 101?
The no release dates is a problem but it seems early to be talking the way you are.

And the 3DS came before the Vita similar to the Wii U. And the two twins might be coming but who knows how will they perform. Its like im talking to someone in the future.

Battlefield seems to be the only one of those games coming at launch, and it will launch on ps360 as well so you tell me. And Nintendos holidays offering will most likely have MK and 3D mario as well.

maverick40

bro a bunch of those games are gonna be out this year, not just pikmin and w101. they said that all of them would be. nintendo always makes very fair releases dates. you're creating a fairy tale nintendoomed situation.

It ain't no fairy tale man! We will know after E3 what the story is with these games.

maverick40

The no release dates is a problem but it seems early to be talking the way you are.

And the 3DS came before the Vita similar to the Wii U. And the two twins might be coming but who knows how will they perform. Its like im talking to someone in the future.

Battlefield seems to be the only one of those games coming at launch, and it will launch on ps360 as well so you tell me. And Nintendos holidays offering will most likely have MK and 3D mario as well.

It Nintendo can get MK and 3d mario all out by Christmas, then they will be fine.

Darryl

Banned
It ain't no fairy tale man! We will know after E3 what the story is with these games.

Nintendo always has a major holiday title. They said 3D Mario and Mario Kart is going to be in playable form at E3. Judging by their release history, that means they're set to launch this Holiday. You think the other handful of recently announced titles (that they said will be here this year) will not release this year, yet shit like Uncharted & Halo are? Where the fuck are those release dates? I didn't even know they were releasing another Uncharted!

maverick40

Nintendo always has a major holiday title. They said 3D Mario and Mario Kart is going to be in playable form at E3. Judging by their release history, that means they're set to launch this Holiday. You think the other handful of recently announced titles (that they said will be here this year) will not release this year, yet shit like Uncharted & Halo are? Where the fuck are those release dates? I didn't even know they were releasing another Uncharted!

I was just using them as an example. We will know at E3 what is going on, unfortunately I think it will be hard for Nintendo to create hype for games with the other two companies launching new consoles.

The cost of a wiiu dev kit is tiny to the cost of developing the game
Yeah I think people over play the inclusion of Unity too. People who are making games for Unity already have a license for other platforms. Or can obtain it. Just a free one for WiiU isn't much incentive to make a Unity only game for WiiU. It's just a nice easy gift package cooked up by someone at Nintendo. Where Sony has years of experience cultivating developer relations Nintendo has nothing. That's why their efforts will be much more fruitful.
It ain't no fairy tale man! We will know after E3 Gamescom TGS VGAs SpaceWorld what the story is with these games.

Rolf NB

wouldn't it only make sense for this to be for indie developers? Wouldn't a dev kit be like 0.0005% of the budget of a normal 3rd party title?
Yes. This is for small developers who would go multiplat if it weren't for the dev kit costs doubling their expenses. Not just games developers, but smaller middleware and tools.

gngf123

Yeah I think people over play the inclusion of Unity too. People who are making games for Unity already have a license for other platforms. Or can obtain it. Just a free one for WiiU isn't much incentive to make a Unity only game for WiiU. It's just a nice easy gift package cooked up by someone at Nintendo. Where Sony has years of experience cultivating developer relations Nintendo has nothing. That's why their efforts will be much more fruitful.

I use Unity frequently - A cheap way to get onto a console is massive for me. Both Sony and Microsoft have been known to charge a lot of money.

If exporting to WiiU is as easy as a lot of other things in Unity, it isn't overstated at all. In fact, it is understated.

MCN

Banned
Yes. The Durango will get strong support from the big four publishers. Wii U will not and has not. Lots of mistakes (such as always online DRM) can be reduced in severity when you have lots of support to cover them up.

Those publishers will soon abandon Durango when they notice that nobody is buying the bloody thing because of the anti-consumer bullshit.

To quote a tweet I made yesterday, if you treat publishers better than consumers, you eventually lose both.

gngf123

Those publishers will soon abandon Durango when they notice that nobody is buying the bloody thing because of the anti-consumer bullshit.

To quote a tweet I made yesterday, if you treat publishers better than consumers, you eventually lose both.

I wish I had the confidence that you do. I still feel that your average consumer will end up buying the thing anyway.

AniHawk

the publishers have chosen their champion, and it's not nintendo. it's also likely they pushed microsoft to do this, and provided extra support as a form of gratitude. in the event durango sells poorly, the big publishers will continue to back their winner, which is not really the durango, but the durango + ps4.

I use Unity frequently - A cheap way to get onto a console is massive for me. Both Sony and Microsoft have been known to charge a lot of money.

If exporting to WiiU is as easy as a lot of other things in Unity, it isn't overstated at all. In fact, it is understated.
Uh, I thought that was the whole point of Unity? That it's easy simultaneous deployment on a variety of platforms... http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/consoles. It being free is nice but most indies (example Gaijin) are probably going to want to distribute on other platforms which means they will have to buy a license for those other platforms anyway... I'd be surprised if there is any exclusive Unity game on WiiU.

From where I stand Sony are getting a lot of praise from indies to make it easy for them whatever engine they use. And they've made a lot of effort in the past to maintain good relations through initiatives like the free Phyre Engine, maintaining relationships with academia, Linux, Net Yaroze/YABASIC. Though some of this has been necessary because of the esoteric nature of the hardware.

gngf123

Uh, I thought that was the whole point of Unity? That it's easy simultaneous deployment on a variety of platforms... http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/consoles. It being free is nice but most indies (example Gaijin) are probably going to want to distribute on other platforms which means they will have to buy a license for those other platforms anyway... I'd be surprised if there is any exclusive Unity game on WiiU.

It is kind of the point of Unity, yeah. I just haven't used the one that comes with the WiiU devkit so I don't know myself just how easy it is to get certain things working.

I don't think exclusive WiiU is likely, but I find it likely that some will go PC + WiiU. Right now, there are developers who just straight up never touch consoles because they are too expensive to develop for. This opens the door to those developers, ones who previously only released their games on PC. You don't need a license to publish on PC.

Also, Sony recently made a move to partner with Unity as well. I'm interested to see how that turns out.

It is kind of the point of Unity, yeah. I just haven't used the one that comes with the WiiU devkit so I don't know myself just how easy it is to get certain things working.

I don't think exclusive WiiU is likely, but I find it likely that some will go PC + WiiU. Right now, there are developers who just straight up never touch consoles because they are too expensive to develop for. This opens the door to those developers, ones who previously only released their games on PC.
I think more likely the angle is, we can get iOS ports easier this way from companies that aren't making games that would appeal to XBLA or PSN types. In the same way a lot of games have come from iOS to Steam.

freddy

Banned
This is good stuff by Nintendo. One thing I have noticed that seems to have changed is Nintendo is taking a lot more notice of developments from competition and 'cries in the wild' for certain things and responding to them. Well done to whoever is listening and taking action.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
the big publishers will continue to back their winner, which is not really the durango, but the durango + ps4.
Until Durango/PS4 become clear winners, publishers will keep backing their current PS3/x360 massive winners. That could take a long time and Nintendo banked on it.

Wii U needs 1st party games, 2 OS updates and a price drop in Q4. Everything from GamePad to Miiverse vision is awesome, so time to execution is Nintendo's main issue. It won't last long.

This is good stuff by Nintendo. One thing I have noticed that seems to have changed is Nintendo is taking a lot more notice of developments from competition and 'cries in the wild' for certain things and responding to them. Well done to whoever is listening and taking action.
I think it should've been the main focus of the WiiU from the get go. Nintendo should've focused on recapturing the faded Wii audience and deliver a platform that allows small to mid budget titles to thrive from the get go. As it stands right now, it is clear, that their schizoid positioning of the WiiU isn't supported by big publishers. But I believe there is a real market for them outside of the big spec race and AAAAA corridor shooter... I don't know however if they'll be able to rebrand the WiiU that way. I think they'd havev to give NOE and NOA more freedom to develop stuff like TVii and offer colaborations with mid tier and independent devs. It would benefit consumers as it also would break the death grip on the market of the 3 monopolistic publishers.

freddy

Banned
I think it should've been the main focus of the WiiU from the get go. Nintendo should've focused on recapturing the faded Wii audience and deliver a platform that allows small to mid budget titles to thrive from the get go.

Yea, I'm completely baffled by the lack of action in these areas in the last 4 years. They've only been preaching about lowering game budgets for the last decade or so. It almost seems as if they thought they had major 3rd party support sewn up this time around and that would be foolish to think that after the empty words they were fed at the beginning of last generation.

Yea, I'm completely baffled by the lack of action in these areas in the last 4 years. It almost seems as if they thought they had major 3rd party support sewn up and that would be foolish to think that after the empty words they were fed at the beginning of last generation.
That's most likely exactly what happened. Their hubris made them complacent, and in turns they screwed up the WiiU launch spectacularly.
I think it began to dawn on them even before launch that they weren't getting any mayor 3rd party support regardless of what they'd offer them. Companies like Ubi, EA, Activision, they've made their bed, and Nintendo will always get sloppy seconds from them, even if they'd offer them the world. Too much has happened between these companies in the past 10 years, and it's not going to change. These publishers have become so huge through Sony and MS. It would be against their business interest to back Nintendo.

Nintendo dropped the 3rd party ball with the N64, and they're still trying to pick up the pieces. But in this day and age, I truly wonder if it's even worth it for Nintendo to even try and get that market segment back.

If they'd focused on keeping all the talent bleed on consoles from the get go, it would've made for a much better launch.

I'm curious if they'll manage to pick it up and basically relaunch the WiiU with a clearer message this year.

Bert

It's incredibly naive to think that software is the only issue with the Wii U.

Software is the only issue for any console. Everything else is forum fodder.

If there's games worth the price of entry people will buy. Wii PS1 and PS2 proved that. People would pay for a solid library (PS) or if the price is low enough for a unique experience (Wii Sports)

Opiate

The way they abandoned the PS3 when it was selling like crap early in the generation?

No, I don't think so. The major publishers are simply too invested in these platforms to simply back out because of early troubles, assuming you're right and it sells poorly to begin with at all.

oVerde

Banned
☑ Learn to code
☑ Get the help of a graphical designer
☑ Come up with a game
☑ Make the game (in progress)
☑ Get a secure space for the devkit
☑ Get a devkit (hopefully get it for free!)
☐ Have previous professional game dev experience

:(

On the same boat, no big of a deal experience beside own projects.

It's incredibly naive to think that software is the only issue with the Wii U.

No, not really. It's incredibly naive to think a price drop without software will make a sustainable difference. Software IS the primary issue. Always has been and always will be. The strongest console has never won. It's always been the one with the most compelling SOFTWARE

No, not really. It's incredibly naive to think a price drop without software will make a sustainable difference. Software IS the primary issue. Always has been and always will be. The strongest console has never won. It's always been the one with the most compelling SOFTWARE
And part of providing compelling software at a generational transition has always been in providing a generational improvement in technology. Something the Wii U does not do.

And part of providing compelling software at a generational transition has always been in providing a generational improvement in technology. Something the Wii U does not do.

And something the Wii did not do. Unless you count motion control as that improvement?

On topic, the fact Nintendo is giving away devkits to some is cool but also concerning. They are getting more lenient with smaller developers because we can certainly see most of the bigger publishers (sans Ubisoft and Activision to some point) shrug off Nintendo entirely this gen in favor of Durango/PS4. We'll see in a year or so if their choice holds water, and for some, it certainly will. The publishers do not want a costly generation like last one, and I have a feeling we'll be losing a couple more in the next 2-3 years easy.

Cipherr

It is? The other systems haven't even launched yet!

That just illustrates how pathetic the situation is for Nintendo.

Behind the Durango? Really? Only if they don't implement the always-on DRM.

Like someone else said already, Durango will still get the lions share of third party games. And they will likely be day and date releases with the PS4 versions. Shitty always online or not, the Durango is going to wreck the WiiU saleswise.

BlazinAm

Ehh, maybe try self publishing the game on something else then the wii U? (steam maybe? or self publish and port it over to wii U later?

I can see why they require you to have at least some previous game development experience. Its not an unreasonable requirement.
Steam has the same issue unless your talking about GreenLight and that has it's own fair share of issues.
The cost of a wiiu dev kit is tiny to the cost of developing the game
Depends on who you are talking to. Then you have to consider certification on the platform it can be pricey.

On the same boat, no big of a deal experience beside own projects.

Same here.

VariantX

They cannot turn on a dime and simply go back to PS3/360/Wii U if things don't work out like they want with the 2 next gen consoles possibly having slow sales. They have virtually all their eggs in the AAA basket, and they'll bend over backwards to ensure their investment works.

And something the Wii did not do. Unless you count motion control as that improvement?
In a way, Motion Control provided games that weren't possible, and more importantly didn't seem possible, on prior systems. It also brought in a new audience of consumers outside the traditional demographics. The Wii U is no Wii.

StevieP

Banned

Technology doesn't necessarily entail massive CPU and GPU upgrades. Technology upgrades can come in many forms.

In a way, Motion Control provided games that weren't possible, and more importantly didn't seem possible, on prior systems. It also brought in a new audience of consumers outside the traditional demographics. The Wii U is no Wii.

I agree with that notion. I think Nintendo overestimated the Wii branding as well as the usage of the GamePad screen. They have other innovations what with Miiverse and all, but the Wii U will not be as easily grasped, and therefore accepted, by the public as the Wii. This holiday into 2014 is critical to ensuring the Wii U's message finally gets across.

I think the Wii U was Nintendo's attempt to bring the Wii fanbase more toward their traditional game concepts and to try and pull back the core they lost over the last two generations...but as we see, their assumption that the next gen would not see as big a jump will likely bite them in the ass to an extent. Now they are in a position where their new consumers are confused and currently not interested, and their attempts to grasping the core audience back is failing in light of poor third-party support and stumbling first-party follies thanks to their debut into HD development.

This is why reaching out to indie/smaller devs with free kits makes a lot of sense giving the current situation. Would they have been doing this had the Wii U been a massive success? Either way, I welcome their moves and it should show in increased output, even if the games are smaller tier or eShop games.

Technology doesn't necessarily entail massive CPU and GPU upgrades. Technology upgrades can come in many forms.
I concur with that notion here:
The Wii U, at least as it is now and I really can't see it changing short of some anomalous unforeseeable phenomenon, provides no compelling reason for people to upgrade/transition, either by way of increased processing power or in the touch screen, which is not a novelty to consumers from a wider audience, and offers no compelling incentive to the traditional gaming audience.

I don't think giving away free devkits and Unity licenses is really going to change that. Unless one of these indie games becomes a breakout unforeseeable phenomenon.

Terrell

None of the games you have mentioned even have release dates yet! What are current Wii U owners supposed to do? Just wait for these titles to release and be happy? The 3ds is totally different though, it's only competition is the floundering Vita. The Wii U has the two twins arriving in a few months to fuck it up. What are potential buyers going to find more appealing come christmas 2013? A new battlefield, Uncharted, Halo (Insert popular 1st or 3rd party game here) or Pikmin 3 and Wonderfull 101?
I like how you chide him about talking about games without release dates and then talk about them going head to head with... games without release dates or games that don't even exist yet.

Classic.

Top Bottom