• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is skipping Gamescom 2024

Woopah

Gotta be May or June. June would be typical. I’m guessing at this point that things are lining up for them to start talking Switch 2/ final year of Switch around the timing of the 5/7 financial earnings. That would make sense.

Nintendo is normally pretty quiet before a big Direct/ announcement. But these past 6-8 weeks have been like hauntingly silent. It’s as if they are going out of their way to not announce or say anything about like, anything. Haven’t had a trailer for Luigi’s Mansion 2 since September. Paper Mario TTYD hasn’t had a trailer since then, either. Other than the storybook opener 2 weeks ago. And clearly they have unannounced games for 2H that could possibly include Metroid Prime 4/ Zelda remakes/ remasters
I'd be very surprised if the next financial briefing comes and goes with no mention of Switch 2, even if it is just a codename.

Nintendo have been quiet, but I wouldn't say its unusually so. They announced Endless Ocean in Feb, and were marketing Peach in March (as well as announcing the Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario release dates).

They didn't have an April game, but I'd expect there to be more Endless Ocean marketing fairly soon.

If they're prepping for Switch 2, it doesn't make sense to take part in Gamescom, tho. There's really nothing to be gained here for them.
In the past their presence at any trade show like Gamescom or E3 has never had anything to do with whether or not they had new hardware coming, or not. They never skipped anything. From like 1995-2019.

All of this skipping is really just a by-product of COVID + digital presentations largely rendering trade shows useless, other than when they really want people to get their hands on something.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I don't think that new console is releasing in Q1 2025 anymore.
Exactly. We don't even have a codename. Which probably means they are not even ready to get third parties and other partners in on it yet.

It's now sooner in the timeline than people were thinking.

Last edited:
Nintendo doesn't have to drop price of console, nor price of their games, they don't need public showcases, can drop remasters at full price, ridiculous online service

And they get away with it, with massive sales

Must be frustrating for Sony & Microsoft

Nintendo is so Nintendo that they don't need to advertise they are Nintendo.
It's amazing how making good games solves all your problems

Sony is trying to come around to that but Microsoft are clueless there

nial

Gold Member
Nintendo doesn't have to drop price of console, nor price of their games, they don't need public showcases, can drop remasters at full price, ridiculous online service

And they get away with it, with massive sales

Must be frustrating for Sony & Microsoft

Nintendo is so Nintendo that they don't need to advertise they are Nintendo.
Bolded is basically Sony this gen so far, though. That said, they will drop PS5 hardware and software prices at some point.
It's amazing how making good games solves all your problems
It does not when those are still fair targets of criticism that should be taken into consideration.

yeah but in 2025 you will get to play remastered games from years past for retail!
I dont expect there to be a simple 9.99 upgrade fee patch. Nintendo will just probably re-releases titles at full cost.

Exactly Nintendo is the stingiest of all the big 3. Great games company but awful at the same time

I live in Japan and have no intention anymore to go to such events. I went 3 times to TGS, but only because I got passes for the business restricted days. I went only one time on a public day and there were too many people. And here in Japan there is still some kind of order, it must be hell in Germany where everyone pushes just to be the first one.

Hudo

In the past their presence at any trade show like Gamescom or E3 has never had anything to do with whether or not they had new hardware coming, or not. They never skipped anything. From like 1995-2019.

All of this skipping is really just a by-product of COVID + digital presentations largely rendering trade shows useless, other than when they really want people to get their hands on something.
You are right. Still, taking part in Gamescom would not make sense currently. Does not mean they would've taken part otherwise. Just that in this specific situation, it's not a surprise at all.

You are right. Still, taking part in Gamescom would not make sense currently. Does not mean they would've taken part otherwise. Just that in this specific situation, it's not a surprise at all.
They’ll be very selective when they go in the future. Probably the first couple years of Switch 2 as they try and make a splash and grow the install base. After that who knows

Top Bottom