• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Leak Claims 4 New Mario Games Are On the Way

-Zelda-

Banned
Hope this is true because I really want a new 2D mario and Mario Baseball. never played the thousand year door, so I am down for that. Most interested in the 2D mario game because tired of open world. I like Odyssey, but playing it became a chore, so I dropped it. What I really don't like about most if not all 3d Mario games is having to stick around in one place and being forced to collect every moon or star before having to move on to the next area. Just give me a flagpole at the end of each level so I can get on with it.

Interfectum

Why would they remake Link's Awakening and skip Zelda 1, 2 and LTTP? It's Nintendo.

And because 1 is outdated and 2 isn't a Zelda game.
the walking dead andrew licoln GIF by The Paley Center for Media

I been waiting for a new 2D Mario Bros game for years ,New Mario bros Wii and U were great games
I’m very cautiously optimistic on the idea of a new 2D Mario, because the last thing on earth I want is the same art style as the “New” series that they’ve been doing since 2004. Like, it’s just so boring and uninspired. I think they have to do a new direction and a new art style if they’re going to do more 2D Mario games

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
What the fans want:

Super Mario World II
Super Mario Galaxy 3
Super Mario Kart 9
Mario RPG Remake

What Nintendo will release:

Two cellphone/tablet games, Mario Tennis, and Dr. Mario

tr1p1ex

I wouldn't doubt those 4 at all. IT's sort of filler material or games that don't take as long to develop. Perfect stuff to ride out a generation in which you've launched almost all of your big franchises and are saving the new versions for next gen.

And obviously a Sonic Mario game has, afaik, been coming out in sync with each olympics for a long while now.

Nydius

A remaster, one truly new game, a sports game that will likely end up being as terribly and content light as Mario Tennis Aces, Mario Golf Super Rush, and Mario Battle Strikers, and another Olympic cash-grab tie in (Paris 2024, presumably; the Tokyo 2020 game was awful)?

That is a decidedly meh list to me. The 2D game is the only thing that moves the needle slightly into the "okay, let's see what they've got" scale.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I do hope the 2D game takes the same risks and innovative style as the 3D games allow themselves. I don't want the NEW look, I want a new look.

Astral Dog

I’m very cautiously optimistic on the idea of a new 2D Mario, because the last thing on earth I want is the same art style as the “New” series that they’ve been doing since 2004. Like, it’s just so boring and uninspired. I think they have to do a new direction and a new art style if they’re going to do more 2D Mario games
Yep the most common complain is the artwork and the music

Im not worried tbh,its been what 10 years since the last game? plenty of time to think over,i had no problem with the art especially since they were finally evolving it on Mario U,but it most likely be changed somewhat for the Switch one,the soundtrack needs an update but again im not worried, since its been long enough,Nintendo has been taking more risks with the Mario brand since 3D World and Odyssey

Just want those controls and level design at their best,with a decent challenge.none comes close to Nintendo's 2D platformers

Pss we also need new Donkey Kong Country as well, 2D or 3D

Last edited:

Rat Rage

If this is true, Switch 2 will not come out earlier than the end of 2025. Reveal summer 2025, release winter 2025.

Batiman

Banned
Happy for a new 2d Mario. Have been getting an itch to play some Mario games. Would like a odyssey 2 though and would love a new 3D world.

nial

Gold Member
As much as I love Mario, nothing on that list really excites me.
A TTYD remaster? No thanks, leave it untouched.
Another sports spin-off? Those have been sucking for a long time
Another Mario & Sonic? I couldn't care less
Another 2D game? They are fun enough, but that's about it.
Why are they taking SO LONG to release a new 3D Mario? I dislike Nintendo EPD so fucking much, holy shit.

Codes 208

For those asking about TTYD, dont forget nintendo, while making remakes of the M&L rpg’s, skipped partners in time to remake Bowser’s inside story.

Or look back at the advance ports, in order we got: smb2, smw, yoshi’s island and finally smb3

ZoolNL

They already have a bunch of previously released Mario games to sell alongside the movie. Better off saving the Mario/DK platform as their holiday game.
That is kinda weird…. you get momentum, you want everybody to have the chance to jump in on that new Mariogame, not the few who didn’t bought it the last few years.

Woopah

That is kinda weird…. you get momentum, you want everybody to have the chance to jump in on that new Mariogame, not the few who didn’t bought it the last few years.
We've seen Mario games rising up the charts after the release of the movie anyway. Nintnedo didn't have to release the movie and games at the same time, just like Sony didn't have to release the TLOU PS% remaster at the same time.

They already told investors that they won't rush a game or a movie to meet the deadline of the other. They'll release each product at the best time for that particular product.

ZoukGalaxy

And none of them interest me, 2D mario are often very meow.

Give me a new Galaxy or 3D World/Land meowards !
Super Mario Cat GIF by Regal

Last edited:
As much as I love Mario, nothing on that list really excites me.
A TTYD remaster? No thanks, leave it untouched.
Another sports spin-off? Those have been sucking for a long time
Another Mario & Sonic? I couldn't care less
Another 2D game? They are fun enough, but that's about it.
Why are they taking SO LONG to release a new 3D Mario? I dislike Nintendo EPD so fucking much, holy shit.
Leaving TTYD untouched is fine. The issue is access to the game. Your legal options are: have an old GameCube, pay a lot of money for the game disc second-hand, and then plug it into a giant TV and hopefully it works. …Or emulate it. Not ideal, either way.

A remaster is good if for no other reason than, “now people can play this game on a modern platform”. Which is a good thing, imho. I wish Nintendo did it more often, if anything.

Buy it or don’t buy it, but having the option for those of us that do want it is… nice.

I’m lucky that I have a working GameCube and a good condition copy of the game which I got on release in 2004. But surely I am in the tiny minority.

Last edited:
Fair, but I just want a simple port and that's it.
I’ll take a port, no matter how simple! They can do a quick and dirty port and charge $39.99, that’s fine! Just do native 16:9, upscale to 720p in handheld, and allow the GameCube controller to be used. I would literally be completely satisfied with that.

Leaving TTYD untouched is fine. The issue is access to the game. Your legal options are: have an old GameCube and plug it into a giant TV and hopefully it works. Or emulate it. Not ideal, either way.

A remaster is good if for no other reason than, “now people can play this game on a modern platform”. Which is a good thing, imho. I wish Nintendo did it more often, if anything.

Buy it or don’t buy it, but having the option for those of us that do want it is… nice.
6th gen generation games should've long become more common for official retro collections, online services, virtual console etc. - these platforms are 20 y/o ffs. Miss me with the umpteenth re-release of Super Mario World and Altered Beast. Time to make games like TTYD easy to boot up and recommend again too. And it's not like such classics would need much more than good HD emulation, so stop wasting resources on these AAA remakes of a few singular titles. Looking at all publishers, not just Nintendo.

Last edited:
6th gen generation games should've long become more common for official retro collections, online services, virtual console etc. - these platforms are 20 y/o ffs. Miss me with umpteenth re-release of Super Mario World and Altered Beast. Time to make games like TTYD easy to boot up and recommend again too. And it's not like such classics would need much more than good HD emulation, so stop wasting resources on these AAA remakes of a few singular titles. Looking at all publishers, not just Nintendo.
Agreed!

Nintendo?

Releasing Mario games?

At least my man Grubb tries to make it half believable.
Reminds me of the last full year of GameCube before the holiday the Wii came out. E3 2005 they announced Mario Baseball, DDR Mario Mix, Mario Party 6, and something else Mario. I remember the shtick they used was “look we’ve got 5 new Mario games coming this holiday!”.

Not technically a lie, but we all know they’re gap fillers. Seems like they’re doing a similar thing this year, if these rumors hold. Give us some decent options to play some things this holiday as they transition to new hardware, all the while they’ve got their main teams working on big launch window titles.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Reminds me of the last full year of GameCube before the holiday the Wii came out. E3 2005 they announced Mario Baseball, DDR Mario Mix, Mario Party 6, and something else Mario. I remember the shtick they used was “look we’ve got 5 new Mario games coming this holiday!”.

Not technically a lie, but we all know they’re gap fillers. Seems like they’re doing a similar thing this year, if these rumors hold. Give us some decent options to play some things this holiday as they transition to new hardware, all the while they’ve got their main teams working on big launch window titles.

Kids and clueless parents won't know. I guess that's the point.

Marvel14

Banned

Luckily, if recent rumors are to be believed, it's possible that there are four Mario-centric games in the pipeline. Nintendo leaker Zippo has claimed that Nintendo is sitting on four finished games starring Mario, including a new 2D Super Mario game, a sports title rumored to be a new Super Mario baseball game, a remaster of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, and a new entry in the long-running Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games franchise.
Right on number.

2 out of 4 On content:

• Super Mario Wonder Check
  • TTYD Check
And then Mario vs Donkey Kong and Super Mario RPG

Not bad Zippo, not bad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom