• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo looking for Lead Graphic Engineer for Next-Gen Console SoC in Redmond

Anth0ny

a6db3acd76.png

Hahahaha

DO IT NINTENDO

GameSeeker

This should be easy for Nintendo. They traditionally use 5-10 year old technology in their products, so finding an engineer to create a SoC around that should be easy.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This should be easy for Nintendo. They traditionally use 5-10 year old technology in their products, so finding an engineer to create a SoC around that should be easy.

"traditionally"

Wii was Nintendos first console ?

Glad they are getting more Western help. This means no new home console in 2016 to me as if they are only hiring and want this person's to have significant impact it isn't coming that soon.

Think they're going to do a 5-year life before successor like every Nintendo home console except the original and Wii.

Eolz

Wasn't the N64 the last time that the architecture of a Nintendo console was partly developed in the USA?
Not really surprised anyway, with NERD also helping on the software side in Europe, and Japan getting more network developers.
And lol at people being surprised/outraged that an architecture should use less power than being a monster. Always been Nintendo's philosophy, being a powerful console like the Gamecube or not.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To note this isn't necessarily for the next home console.

That said presumably the next home console will also have a SoC, but that would also be perfectly fitting to a handheld platform.

bakedpatato

Neo Member
the "low power" part has me worried already.

Don't. Nvidia's Maxwell GPUs are all about that low power lyfe but they still outperform Kepler parts by quite a bit.

they're looking for someone that work magic on a probably AMD gpu while not creating a 130watt TDP beast

I'm pretty surprised they're actually hiring this position out of the US.
Same. If you look at the FCC part 15 filings for the Wii, Wii U, 3DS and the N3DS all of them are filed from the head office in Kyoto(with UL USA as Nintendo's agent) so I was under the impression NoA had no engineering input for consoles

Hiltz

the "low power" part has me worried already.

As it should be fully expected to happen given Nintendo's track record since the GameCube.

From Iwata Asks (Wii U hardware):
Takeda: That's right. And since it's a device you have in your living room 24 hours a day, we wanted people to enjoy various things beyond playing games that we couldn't fully achieve with Wii. We really had to think a lot to provide Wii U at an affordable price while at the same time achieving the solid performance of the game computer.

Iwata: That's similar to the concept we discussed in "The Wii Hardware" with regard to low power consumption and high performance.

Takeda: Yes. Ever since the Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo has concerned itself with how to improve the game computer's efficiency while constraining power consumption, and this has been consistent in that design concept.

Iwata: What was the key to achieving low power consumption and high performance this time?

Takeda: First of all, adoption of a multi-core CPU8 for the first time. By having multiple CPU cores in a single LSI chip, data can be processed between the CPU cores and with the high-density on-chip memory much better, and can now be done very efficiently with low power consumption.

Takeda: And that we adopted an MCM.

Makonero

That said presumably the next home console will also have a SoC, but that would also be perfectly fitting to a handheld platform.

It might be both, since they have said they'll be tying them together, architecture-wise. Maybe this is why they need outside (US) help?

rambis

Banned

It reads like its for multiple products so probably consoles and handhelds.

MilesTeg

Banned
Wasn't the N64 the last time that the architecture of a Nintendo console was partly developed in the USA?
Not really surprised anyway, with NERD also helping on the software side in Europe, and Japan getting more network developers.
And lol at people being surprised/outraged that an architecture should use less power than being a monster. Always been Nintendo's philosophy, being a powerful console like the Gamecube or not.

Gamecube.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It might be both, since they have said they'll be tying them together, architecture-wise. Maybe this is why they need outside (US) help?

You could in theory use the same parts if the setup was a handheld and a set top box.

They could also use a mobile SoC for a handheld and a laptop-ish SoC (a la the current consoles) for the home console if they're only sharing API level specifications.

Eolz

Didn't we have hints that they already had some ideas about the next handheld architecture though? Don't remember the thread, but apparently it was already pretty concrete (not talking about something officially announced by Nintendo), and Iwata lately talked about the 3DS successor might not be too far off.
Would mean they're backing off on some points.

gogogow

Also doesnt this pretty much confirm another AMD contract?

What in the job description confirms that this will be another AMD contract?

But since Nintendo has been with AMD for 4 generations of consoles already it's safe to assume they will choose AMD as their partner again.

pulsemyne

Looks like they want someone to liase with engineering teams in american companies but to also push the tech to the various parts of nintendo, basically become its cheerleader throughout the company. Basically a Cerny for them.
As for the low power part well thats not much of an issue seeing as everyone is trying to make powerful low power parts. Just look at nvidias latest cards and how powerful they are at 150ish watts, and that's on 28nm. 16nm is just around the corner and the energy savings will be big. It's conceivable that within 2 years you could get ps4 power at roughly 40 watts which is about as much as the wiiu uses.

vio

Low power huh? That means they want someone who is really good with...
7NdM79W.jpg

My guess would be they are working on new handheld already. Or tablet.

turnbuckle

It has me relieved. Since I bought my PS3 my power bill has almost doubled, and hasn't gone down to my previous baseline even after I stopped running the AC (summer is over now).

When did you buy your PS3?
What model is it? Fat? Slim? Super Slim?

Where do you live?

If you bought it during the summer and it caused your bill to double...ehh..something doesn't add up.

But this is coming from someone in NA where electricity is relatively inexpensive. Even still, your PS3 cannot be drawing almost as much electricity as every other thing in your household combined.

Maybe the combination of PS3 + TV + charging controllers + any other things related to playing your PS3 could add up to that...but only assuming if you were otherwise not playing a game or using your tv at all until you got your ps3.

----

Anywho, I hope Nintendo can get this console out relatively quickly. Something more powerful and more efficient than the current next-gen consoles + backwards compatibility. By 2016 they should be able to do this and have it priced competitively while still giving them a big enough window before the other console manufacturers respond.

Apparently Cerny got attached to PS4 development in 2008, so I guess this isn't as surprising as it might seem?

nah new console development begins right when the current one ships.

Cerny is likely in the office right now going over potential specs necessary for a machine in 2018. Asking for billions in budgets again.

tarheel91

I'd bank on this being a Wii U successor over a 3DS successor. It's way too late in the game for the 3DS successor to just now start looking at what type of graphics architecture they want to use, especially when you factor in hiring time for this sort of position.

Might not even be related to a specific piece of hardware. They could just be looking for a technical expert to lend knowledge to various projects.

LordOfChaos

I know it's too early to get hyped, but I kinda am. Plus me being a CPU geek.

I wonder if they plan on making a new chip completely in-house? They could licence PPC, or ARM if they drop BC, but usually they partner with an engineering firm. With IBM getting out of the fab business, I wonder if they'll still do custom designs for Nintendo, and then send them off to other foundaries.

I hope they just drop BC and PPC though, go with maybe an AMD APU to play better with other consoles.

Scum

You could in theory use the same parts if the setup was a handheld and a set top box.

They could also use a mobile SoC for a handheld and a laptop-ish SoC (a la the current consoles) for the home console if they're only sharing API level specifications.

This needs to happen. I want that MiiOS.

Banned
Step 1: the engineer is requires to ignore any low power draw comments from upper management and focus on making a powerful graphics chip.

Step 2: Integrate GPU with a CPU and ignore any requests for lowering the power draw.

Step 3: if management keeps pushing for low power draw parts, resign from position.

Apply now!

Top Bottom