• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo looking for Lead Graphic Engineer for Next-Gen Console SoC in Redmond

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What does SoC mean? I've been playing games for 25 years and have been on this forum for ten and have never heard that term, lol.

tesla246

the "low power" part has me worried already.

To be honest, after both Wii and WiiU I no longer get excited about new Nintendo hardware at all, after the wii and wiiU. I mean, I will absolutely buy it 100%, because its all about the games, and nintendo happens to be my taste in gaming, but In the past, I used to be hyped as fuck, eagerly awaiting the arrival of new hardware as Nintendo slowly gave small tidbits of it years before release. Nowadays this news does nothing to me.

TheMoon

Wasn't the N64 the last time that the architecture of a Nintendo console was partly developed in the USA?
Not really surprised anyway, with NERD also helping on the software side in Europe, and Japan getting more network developers.
And lol at people being surprised/outraged that an architecture should use less power than being a monster. Always been Nintendo's philosophy, being a powerful console like the Gamecube or not.

GCN was NTD in Redmond as well. Hell, they had Factor 5 working on the HW!

What does SoC mean?

System on a Chip.

Didn't we have hints that they already had some ideas about the next handheld architecture though? Don't remember the thread, but apparently it was already pretty concrete (not talking about something officially announced by Nintendo), and Iwata lately talked about the 3DS successor might not be too far off.
Would mean they're backing off on some points.

I think some of the things lined up in the job description could be for future projects beyond the next one, which could be iterations of the new tech but with perhaps a different gpu vendor, similar to how different Android systems have different gpu vendors.

LeleSocho

Banned

I could say that since they are using the same architecture and probably the same SoC for both home and portable consoles the "low power" is only to be sure that works in a small TDP environment...

...but then again it's Nintendo so it'll be the same old cheap crap.

Also lol at the evangelist stuff... that means they'll go with weird api and functions again.
You will never learn Nintendo will you?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sweet, thanks.

I still have no idea what that means, lol.

Basically they put the CPU and GPU on the same die (piece of silicon) to save money, and it often lets them interface with each other faster as well.

Historically this wasn't done as the CPU and GPU generated too much heat individually so putting them on the same die would cause huge heat issues. They would also usually be too big to get good yields.

As laptops and later smartphones/tablets became popular, the concern for lowering power usage (as in wattage) and chip size grew, so SoCs are now more feasible for a lot of devices.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm surprised they don't have this sort of thing locked down or established already.

If they plan to use relatively new mobile parts in their next handheld, they would have a ton of options these days compared to previous generations, and could settle on one quite late in the process.

There's Qualcomm, NVIDIA, AMD, or putting together their own via ARM + PowerVR or a similar combination. Intel is also trying to get into this market.

Eolz

Gamecube.

GCN was NTD in Redmond as well. Hell, they had Factor 5 working on the HW!

Whoops, forgot about that. Thought it was mainly N64 people moving to Japan.

I think some of the things lined up in the job description could be for future projects beyond the next one, which could be iterations of the new tech but with perhaps a different gpu vendor, similar to how different Android systems have different gpu vendors.

True, that makes sense, especially given Iwata's recent hints regarding the architecture of future consoles. They make a lot of prototypes anyway, if the next console doesn't sell
and Iwata goes away
, they could focus on yet another different thing.

Edit:

If they plan to use relatively new mobile parts in their next handheld, they would have a ton of options these days compared to previous generations, and could settle on one quite late in the process.

There's Qualcomm, NVIDIA, AMD, or putting together their own via ARM + PowerVR or a similar combination. Intel is also trying to get into this market.

I'm pretty sure this is also because once again, they'd like some custom stuff. Not necessarily as much as before, but it's always useful, especially if they work with chip manufacturers on this.

Banned
My dream is Intel CPU and nvidia GPU integrated together. Custom built chip with two of the best partners.

krizzx

Yes. The next handheld is coming.

I hope they stay far away from AMD in the future after the way they played everyone out in favor of Sony.

Hiltz

Iwata mentioned some other stuff about next-gen architecture back in February:
It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.

The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment.

However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm pretty sure this is also because once again, they'd like some custom stuff. Not necessarily as much as before, but it's always useful, especially if they work with chip manufacturers on this.
Most vendors even go so far as to offer IP licenses if you want to customize their chips internally or integrate them with other vendors' parts in a relationship that doesn't already exist, but I imagine they're going to have the vendor do it for them given they're not Apple or an OEM themselves like Qualcomm or NVIDIA licensing ARM CPUs.

Nirolak, getting any "good vibes" from this or is Nintendo doomed?
Well, it's certainly good that they have someone on the ground in the country where a lot of these chips are designed and can easily communicate to them what they want.

It probably suggests they're not going to pick a dark horse parts vendor from Japan for the next handheld like they did with the 3DS's GPU.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Err, it's almost inevitable a 3DS successor will come in 2016, though.

I use to be on this train of thought, but I really think it depends on how many more games they think they can push out for the NEW Nintendo 3DS. I mean we don't even have a date for that thing in EU/NA (Australia is an exception for the West).

JoeM86

Not surprising. We've known they've been working on it for a while. Nintendo has often said that they begin work on the next hardware when they release the newest one.

AdanVC

Hnnnnnghhhhhhhhhhh. Wii 4 U and Me confirmedd! The "4" is for 4k graphics. But jokes aside, it's usual that when a company releases their latest home console, they literally start working on the next one right away so this should not be surprising. But it's exciting the requirements asked there anyways.

MCD

The most important question is backwards compatibility, this new chip should have no problem, no?

Can someone educate me, what is SoC?

As others have said, it means "System on a chip." In practice, it means when other functions are integrated onto the same die as the central processing unit, such as memory controllers, image processors, graphics processors and other I/O interfaces.

This job listing is interesting with AMD's recent announcement of another semi-custom design win. Big question will be if Nintendo is going x86 or staying POWER architecture. I assume AMD could do either for them.

The most important question is backwards compatibility, this new chip should have no problem, no?

Depends if AMD is building them an x86 core or POWER core.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising. We've known they've been working on it for a while. Nintendo has often said that they begin work on the next hardware when they release the newest one.
Correct. I wouldn't be surprised though if this particular job posting concerns that console for emerging markets they have talked about a bit. I would assume they already have the architecture for the Wii U successor pretty much locked down, unless they are planning something really special for the Wii U in 2015, hardware wise.

Somnid

Asia has been increasingly non-competitive in SoC design. I think they finally realized that. You can squeeze way more out of newer ARM chips for much less than what they spent on 3DS's or Wii U's SoC. Most of the big ARM customizers (AMD, Nvidia, Intel, Qualcomm) are located in the US so there's a lot of concentrated talent and business partners.

wsippel

Banned
I'm surprised they don't have this sort of thing locked down or established already.
As I just wrote, this is probably just a replacement for Tat Iwamoto who left in June. Whatever they're currently working on is already well underway, Nintendo selected an as-of-yet undisclosed vendor for their next SoC in late 2013 or early 2014. Their current engineering leads have ties to Nvidia and Qualcomm - not that this necessarily means much...

MilesTeg

Banned
What kind of hardware would a handheld need for Nintendo's Wii U developers to essentially be able to make a seamless switch to the handheld? Because it seems like that's what Iwata is looking for based on his previous comments. Not just a home console that could "accept" Wii U architecture but a handheld as well.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
this seems a bit late. Maybe they mean the one after the next
What I was thinking. This doesn't have to mean that the architect will start work immediately after joining Nintendo, he/she could assume a similar role until heavier duties must be carried out.

And yeah, what wsippel wrote.

As I just wrote, this is probably just a replacement for Tat Iwamoto who left in June. Whatever they're currently working on is already well underway, Nintendo selected an as-of-yet undisclosed vendor for their next SoC in late 2013 or early 2014. Their current engineering leads have ties to Nvidia and Qualcomm - not that this necessarily means much...

Interesting

And yeah here is Microsoft hiring a bunch of hardware architects less than 2 years before the Xbone's public reveal.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423724

"Wii U Too" on the way?

This would be the greatest console name ever.

I rather they don't bother with backwards compatibility if they can make it more powerful by avoiding it.

Also backwards compatibility would require Gamepad support in quite a few cases and while I love it Nintendo should not keep the streaming tech in if it costs more.

Wii backwards compatibility was fairly useless considering how cheap Wii's were though at least it provided a way to play Wii games through HDMI that wasn't a third-party dongle.

It also encourages purchases of Wii U's.

I hope they include Wii Remote and Pro Controller support though.

Eolz

Didn't we have hints that they already had some ideas about the next handheld architecture though? Don't remember the thread, but apparently it was already pretty concrete (not talking about something officially announced by Nintendo)

Here's what I was talking about, you were probably the original poster for this too :p

This job listing is interesting with AMD's recent announcement of another semi-custom design win. Big question will be if Nintendo is going x86 or staying POWER architecture. I assume AMD could do either for them.

It was implied that those wins or at least one of them weren't for gaming, if I'm recalling the wording correctly.

Still there's very little doubt they'll go full AMD, reducing the amount of companies with their hands in the pie gets them better and better prices, and AMD can no doubt meet all their needs for an SoC same as they did Microsoft and Sony. If not wholly AMD, then wholly some other company.

LeleSocho

Banned
Oh man the laughs if they embrace hardware backwards compatibility once again... Nintendo keep pushing 1999 tech to the limits!

Seriously though watching WiiU (un)success it would be the dumbest choice ever.

Reallink

Not me. I really prefer low power. For portables it extends battery life, and for home consoles it keeps them running cool and quiet.

Cool and quiet really worked out for the Wii U. There are so many next-gen ports powered by cool and quiet I'm drowning in them. The Wii too, that sure was a great audience to be targeting. They really stuck around and spent a lot of money on the vidya games. Lets make another cool and quiet console, it's sure to be a success.

Conduit

Banned
Low power and SoC design experience would be a plus.
The candidate is expected to have good architectural insights and the ability to apply that for setting future graphics direction for Nintendo.

2.34 TFLOPS confirmed! DDR4 RAM also!

IcyStorm

Depends if AMD is building them an x86 core or POWER core.

Didn't CEO Lisa Su say that those two semi-custom designs were not gaming?

Top Bottom