• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo new IPs in the "modern era" (DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U): XYZ doesn't count!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This thread don't count for the same "reason" the new Nintendo IPs don't count

Juken

I think when most people make that argument, what they're really asking for is for Nintendo to create a new IP that can stand alongside their more iconic franchises and become another big Nintendo staple.

I think most people will dismiss a lot of your list because it's not really what they want. Technically you're right that Nintendo has created plenty of new IP, but people want new IP that feel as ambitious and unique as their favorite Nintendo games of the past.

I think when most people make that argument, what they're really asking for is for Nintendo to create a new IP that can stand alongside their more iconic franchises and become another big Nintendo staple.

I think most people will dismiss a lot of your list because it's not really what they want. Technically you're right that Nintendo has created plenty of new IP, but people want new IP that feel as ambitious and unique as their favorite Nintendo games of the past.

That's for the fans to decide, not Nintendo. It's a catch 22.

Past

The problem with Nintendo is their new IPs are always small scale games or party stuff. You don't see people counting the indie/arcade exclusive games on PSN and XBL either, neither do they count all those 1st party Kinect/Move games despite them being new IPs. Difference is that Microsoft/Sony actually make new AAA IPs along with the party/arcade/indie games.

Juken

That's for the fans to decide, not Nintendo. It's a catch 22.

I agree. I just think that a list like OP's is misguided and is missing what the people are really asking for and complaining about.

When people have fond memories of their first time playing Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid etc and want Nintendo to create a series that gives them similar feelings, Dillon's Rolling Western probably isn't going to satisfy them.

Madao

it doesn't help that they refused to localize 1/4 of the games listed and most got bad advertising outside the ones that became big hits.

moolamb

and we are done. those listed games arent full fledged AAA games by nintendo.

oh and half of these games werent released in the west.

as for fling smash... worst game i played on wii.

The point that the thread became meta.

Do Nintendo even make 'full fledged AAA' games, whatever that means?

Oersted

The point that the thread became meta.

Do Nintendo even make 'full fledged AAA' games, whatever that means?

Compared to Sony and Microsoft? No, how could they. Those 2 are huge conglomerates, Nintendo is a games company, comparatively small.

I agree. I just think that a list like OP's is misguided and is missing what the people are really asking for and complaining about.

When people have fond memories of their first time playing Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid etc and want Nintendo to create a series that gives them similar feelings, Dillon's Rolling Western probably isn't going to satisfy them.

That is one way to put it and explains a lot of it. The other part is that Nintendo mostly just hasn't bothered advertising any new IP they work on.

I mean Splatoon was highlighted a fair bit, but what outside of minigames has really been pushed by Nintendo over the last however many years prior to that? Sony had Resistance, Uncharted, The Last of Us, Infamous, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, MLB: The Show, and Little Big Planet that they pushed hard over the same timeframe (this isn't counting smaller/cheaper titles or games that released late during PS2's life). Microsoft had Gears, Kameo, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Crackdown (again not counting smaller or late Xbox games).

Even if we count Nintendogs, Brain Training, Xenoblade, and the whole Wii series Nintendo's list of new IPs that they pushed (as opposed to sending to die) doesn't come up head and shoulders above either of those lists. If you are someone who wasn't especially interested in Wii _ (which gets to what you're talking about) then that list begins looking a lot more bare, particularly on consoles.

rpmurphy

Style Savvy is one of the best new IPs of last generation, and the 3DS game was pretty great. I really hope there's still more to come with this series.

Dryk

Nintendo seems to be treating Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronciles X as pretty big releases, so I hope they're successful. If Wii U owners don't purchase them, I'm going to be very sad.
They're not going to sell well
Therefore they don't count as new IP
Therefore I won't buy them
Therefore they won't sell well

Watch it happen

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I think the problem is less about "no new IP" and more about "no new flagship IP" - that is, new IP that really can serve as the face of their platform. The Wii series was probably the only new IP that would qualify as a "flagship IP" that they introduced last generation. Splatoon might turn out to be pretty big on Wii U, but I'm not betting heavily on it.

So basically... "they don't count."

Oersted

My problem, as others also have with Nintendo, is that a lot of their new IPs are safe puzzle-format games, limited release games, or both.

I thought it was quite a nobrainer that making lots of small new IPs is easier than huge ones like Xenoblade, Splatoon and Wonderful 101. The point is, they are all new IPs. Something that seems to be really hard for some Gaffers to acknowledge.

Phediuk

When people say new IP, they mean a new IP that they'd be willing to buy a console for.

No one is paying hundreds of dollars to play Pushmo.

jblank83

You can't force a franchise into success, other than pouring quality into the development and throwing 100+ million dollars into marketing. Nintendo has done their part to make new IPs. Some of them have even had significant dollars put into their development and some have had decent if not amazing amounts of advertising, and some have had both.

No one sits down and goes "Yeah, I'll just imagine up the next 30 million selling franchise. Then I'm gonna have lunch and take off early."

Mario sort of just happens. CoD sort of just happens. Flappy Bird and Angry Birds and Candy Crush and Farmville sort of just happen. For every Mario there are a hundred franchises that flop. Hell, for every Flappy Bird and Angry Birds, there are a hundred clones (ok, maybe dozens) that Flappy Bird and Angry Birds were based on (stole from) which flopped.

Nintendo could make one of the most amazing FPS games of all time, and contrary to their claims, people would still not buy Nintendo hardware and would not buy that Nintendo FPS. Case in Point: Metroid Prime. We'll see if Splatoon changes that (it won't), being a shooter with a new IP and strong multiplayer (doubtful). Or Iwata could wrangle some of the most incredible hardest core action games (Wonderful 101) with mature themes (Bayonetta 2) and it wouldn't change anything.

In short, Nintendo needs to do more than just make great games. They need to make great hardware as well, because the market has overwhelmingly spoken to this issue being a major stumbling block to success for Nintendo platforms.

Oersted

When people say new IP, they mean a new IP that they'd be willing to buy a console for.

They are new IPs. Thats the point. As much as Splatoon, Xenoblade X, Wonderful 101. They are as much new IPs aa Steel Diver, Tearaway, Flower and Pushmo. Deal with it.

Phediuk

They are new IPs. Thats the point. As much as Splatoon, Xenoblade X, Wonderful 101. They are as much new IPs aa Steel Diver, Tearaway, Flower and Pushmo. Deal with it.

So? I don't care about those games. They aren't selling a console to me or to any of the other imaginary strawmen this topic is addressed to. Get over it.

I thought it was quite a nobrainer that making lots of small new IPs is easier than huge ones like Xenoblade, Splatoon and Wonderful 101. The point is, they are all new IPs. Something that seems to be really hard for some Gaffers to acknowledge.

If we're going to have list wars of every game made with a 5-man team in existence it's going to be a very long day. We can say that Nintendo does technically release new IP on a regular basis. That is fair. We can also say that they're mostly smaller titles and that they don't actually bother advertising most of them. That is also fair.

The people who complain about "no new IP" weren't going gaga over Echochrome or Ilomilo, so it's not hypocrisy, even if it isn't technically correct.

entremet

That's a terrible argument. No one bought PS3's en masse for the first Uncharted game.

New IP is new IP. Regardless of your interest in them or not.

casiopao

They're not going to sell well
Therefore they don't count as new IP
Therefore I won't buy them
Therefore they won't sell well

Watch it happen

I would hope they don't count Pupetter, Tearaway, other Sony great flopper titles as new IP then.

I don't think anyone would also buy a PS4 only for LBP though? Or a PS3 for Pupetter?

Oersted

So? I don't care about those games. They aren't selling a console to me or to any of the other imaginary strawmen this topic is addressed to. Get over it.

At which point did IPs become defined trough your purchasing decision? Since when do you hold such power? If you are not willing to accept a new IP, irrelevant but fine, but that doesn't change the fact that they are new IPs.

If we're going to have list wars of every game made with a 5-man team in existence it's going to be a very long day. We can say that Nintendo does technically release new IP on a regular basis. That is fair. We can also say that they're mostly smaller titles and that they don't actually bother advertising most of those. That is also fair.

The people who complain about "no new IP" weren't going gaga over Echochrome or Ilomilo.

Technically? They just do.

Phediuk

At which point did IPs become defined trough your purchasing decision? Since when do you hold such power? If you are not willing to accept a new IP, irrelevant but fine, but that doesn't change the fact that they are new IPs.

When did I deny they are new IPs? This whole thread is based on a strawman, simple as that. The argument has never been that they've made nothing new. It's that they've made nothing new that gets people excited. Get over it.

Yes, technically. I'd class them in the same group as the person above said with things like Puppeteer and Tearaway. They were also sent out to die so most people didn't know they existed or didn't care.

I'll agree that Nintendo releases new IP, but the argument that is most often made about them having a too-large fixation on Mario is hardly affected by Kiki Trick. These are slightly different arguments, but they are different ones that are conflated too often. I'd also argue that second argument is the actual more common one.

Much like others, I think Splatoon is a positive sign there since it was given top billing by Nintendo.

EDIT: I also take issue with including games from 2004 forward. The more appropriate timeframe is 2005 or 2006 to present IMO.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I agree that Nintendo does make new ip but also with the problem that they don't feature the new games as quality releases.

This second point applies to both new ips and smaller games. They make very little effort outside of the already big and popular series.

Xenoblade almost not releasing in NA is criminal.

Disaster never came over. It doesn't matter what you develop or publish if no one knows about it.

Of course the issue is perception. That is what Nintendo has to change . Posting a list of titles considered obscure by mosy people wont Change perceptions

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo of America was the biggest problem when it came to New IP in the Wii generation. Thankfully Operation Rainfall forced them to fix that. I have no complaints about new IP for the Wii except for that.

Wii U has been another story though. A lot was riding on Wonderful 101 and that ended up being not so great. Hopefully Splatoon ends up being as good as it looks.

casiopao

If it is.. Nintendo never told anyone

I guess those people never check any game websites? Like at all?

As I remember Pushmo having tons of great reviews?

When did I deny they are new IPs? This whole thread is based on a strawman, simple as that. The argument has never been that they've made nothing new. It's that they've made nothing new that gets people excited. Get over it.

Not everyone is like you? It is as simple as that. The thing which does not make u feel excited can still makes other feels excited.

Tomodachi Life makes tons of people excited that the title is actually charting all over Europe and selling well in U.S. And this is without counting the huge sales it had in Japan.

Yes they did. Though no actual tv advertisements it was highlighted at events, announcements, etc.

I agree. Pushmo is one of the smaller titles they promoted. There aren't many others I can think of there (Steel Diver perhaps, although that is almost a Radar Mission sequel).

Just for comparison's sake, what are some high selling new IPs that aren't shooters?

Nintendo of America was the biggest problem when it came to New IP in the Wii generation. Thankfully Operation Rainfall forced them to fix that. I have no complaints about new IP for the Wii except for that.

Wii U has been another story though. A lot was riding on Wonderful 101 and that ended up being not so great. Hopefully Splatoon ends up being as good as it looks.

lol

DSix

Banned
This OP is confirming how incredibly low-profile/low-budget/niche are most of those new IPs. The only big exceptions to that are the casual games.

Not much to get excited about.

Toxi

Banned
I have never had a problem with Nintendo reusing IPs. Hell, I would give my left kidney for a new (good) Metroid.

However, I probably don't represent most gamers. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Just for comparison's sake, what are some high selling new IPs that aren't shooters?

lol
Assassin's Creed
Minecraft
Angry Birds

I've always found the new IP argument to be odd.

I mean, half the 'new IPs' from other publishers are just the same old FPS/narrative driven TPS gameplay etc with a different cast/setting.

3D World could have starred kittens fighting a big mean dog that kidnapped the good fairies, but it would have just been a Mario clone anyway.
A change of theme, characters and setting can make a HUGE difference to a game though, so your argument is kind of odd to me. The atmosphere and tone can change drastically, whilst still maintaining the base mechanics, and lead to further inspiration for new ones. I'd personally love to see Nintendo make a mario clone, introducing brand new characters, a fresh new setting and a change of artstyle. I don't see anything wrong with using similar gameplay in a new franchise.

casiopao

What? I'm sure some people disagree, but it's not that radical of a view to say Wonderful 101 was just ok at best.

Platinum titles except for Rising and Bayonetta sales like shit. They are simply super niche developer here.

When u had title which sales lesser than Gust and Compile Heart title, u know u are in trouble.

What? I'm sure some people disagree, but it's not that radical of a view to say Wonderful 101 was just ok at best.

He's pointing out that you said a lot was riding on w101. It even got revealed on an after show during e3 '12. Nintendo barely even advertised it. A lot wasnt riding on it in terms of expectations.

btw, the game is awesome.

Hiltz

Isn't the only real difference because a spin-off IP and an original IP, being that a spin-off has to use pre-existing characters ? I mean, their still both considered new IPs.

Top Bottom