• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: new Super Mario for Wii U, Reveal at E3 [Update: Based On E3 2011 Game]

Feep

Banned
I played NSMBM or whatever the hell it was at last E3. Awful.

This completely counterbalances the awesome Pikmin 3 news.

TriGen

If it's a 2D NSMB game, then I say it's definetly a launch title. If it had been a 3D Mario I could have seen them releasing the 3DS 2D game this year and then the 3D Wii U game a year later, but if this is a 2D game as well I imagine they are connected as Nintendo will try to show off their new online/connectivity skills, as oppose to showing off their new graphics.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd love to see them take this the route of the Rayman Origins art, but I know there's absolutely no chance of that happening.

Bet on a game compatible with the 3DS version.

Peff

Two brand new 2D Marios during the same period? Weird. I guess the 3DS game will have some kind of twist ala SPM or Epic Yarn.

orioto

Good Art™
I told you so. There is just no reason to take risks and invest in a brand new Mario (they'll do that after) when they can just rely on something already half done and successful.

TriGen

I just hope the graphics and art style are better than what they showed last year, if so great, if not then it will be a little dissapointing.

ismk

I played NSMBM or whatever the hell it was at last E3. Awful.

This completely counterbalances the awesome Pikmin 3 news.

Why would make your mind up on a demo? This is Nintendo, they rarely release horrible/bad games, especially platformers.

Pociask

Don't cross the streams, Nintendo! Keep the Mii's out of Mario. Actually, ditch the Mii's altogether - while they were pioneering in their day, they've already been done better by others.

Feep

Banned
Why would make your mind up on a demo? This is Nintendo, they rarely release horrible/bad games, especially platformers.
Because I generally dislike the "New" series, and the NSMBM stuff was the worst of the lot. It's unlikely the general style of the game will change.

I'm really hoping we see more added to this game than the ability to use Miis and some new levels.

Now that I think about it this could be a perfect pack-in game for them. Using an existing formula/engine means it'll probably cost them very little to make, and if they pack it in the with console they can make it as feature light as possible without taking much crap from fans.

SykoTech

1780549-shakehead.gif

Let me know when you want to make a new 2D Mario that's actually worth playing Nintendo. My money will be ready until then. In the meantime, I guess it's been awhile since I played World and 3.

Zekes!

Oh yeah it was New Super Mario Bros. Mii, right?

Man people are seriously getting salty over NSMB? NSMBWii was awesome. I have faith.

TriGen

My point is that there has never been a 3D Super Mario Bros. game. Something I imagine most people only realize accidentally.

Yeah, I mentioned that in a earlier post, the 3D Mario games aren't Super Mario Bros. Most people seem to miss that. The 3D games have always been Super Mario games, no Bros.

zroid

Banned
interesting, that means they're making *two* 2D mario games simultaneously? Maybe the 3DS one is legit Super Mario Bros. 4!? YESSSSSS

Mistle

Please have a new art style. Please have a new art style.

I bet it'll look like the Wii game with minor improvements :/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
NSMBW was a great version of a game I've played a million times before. It was the moment the Mario mainline series became like the Mario Kart series, for the worst. They're technically and mechanically competent games, maybe even marginally 'better' than their predecessors, but playing a new Mario Kart or NSMB is like listening to a band that releases new albums that sound the same as their hit album from the 80s/90s. It doesn't aspire beyond anything that doesn't already exist. It's boring. It's totally lacking in imagination.

Zekes!

I'm sure 3D Mario is in the pipeline. It's probably in their best interest to drop a 2D Mario near the release of the Wii U since it sells gangbusters. I ain't hatin' on more NSMB though. Playing NSMBWii with random people/friends/relatives is some of the most fun I've had with gaming.

guek

Banned
gaf, you never fail to disappoint.

I have little interest in paying for NSMBMii but it could be a pretty nice pack in. Everyone should have foreseen nintendo would develop the demo into some sort of title, but there's nothing that suggests what we see at E3 wont be significantly different from what we saw last year, and even if it looks identical to the demo, I'll sleep soundly knowing this isn't the only game nintendo is making. Sheesh.

Adam J.

The NSMB series is fun, but the graphics and music suck--almost like they let the interns design them.

Really hope they reconsider the vibe/look with the Wii U game. There is really no excuse for it not to be as good as Galaxy or Land.

Vidiot

People hate NSMBW? It has such a fantastic final "boss" though! Plus Koopalings! And Yoshi's Island references!

Not that I wouldn't have preferred a 3D Mario instead mind you.

pramath

Banned
My excitement reached uncontrollable levels, and then died all of a sudden :(

I hope they've improved on it greatly. I love the NSMB games, but the third one needs to be something special if they're going to woo me in.

Shion

Oh yeah it was New Super Mario Bros. Mii, right?

Man people are seriously getting salty over NSMB? NSMBWii was awesome. I have faith.

The problem with NSMB is the awfully generic looking 2.5D style and the crappy art. I was really hoping for something different this time.

Azure J

I mean, I share the nitpick about the NSMB art direction not being all that, especially when we got the Galaxy series this generation, but damn GAF is in full on piranha mode regarding NSMBWii today. Weird though, it had some really excellent level design.

Thoraxes

@the new News.

diehardbailout.gif

I hope they at least make the game look decent. Game was fun for multiplayer with my 3 bros, but I honestly don't care for it on the WiiU.

New Super Mario Bros games are ok but nothing mind-blowing, there were no moments that made me feel like I've discovered something special, like using the P-Wing to hover to a secret world exit, or the secret entrance for the original 1-2 or finding the star road and activating all the Switch Palaces in world. NSMBs were covering old ground and whilst fun on multiplayer, they had derivative level designs.

It wouldn't be enough for me to justify buying a Wii U. Now if Retro announce a Metroid on par with Prime...

Top Bottom