• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NYC store twitter: [jay leno monologue voice] you heard about the sness?

what do you say when you want to sound like a hayseed

Results are only viewable after voting.

watdaeff4

But back then it would have been called PlayStation in spoken language right?

And then when PlayStation 2 came out, did people just refer to it as PS2?

1) yes.

2) Yes or Playstation 2.....or still just "playstation" like old people like me will still tell the kids to go play their "Nintendo" (i.e. the Switch)

Synth

The entire purpose of this thread we are in is a debate on weather or not it is correct to say "Sness" or "Super Nintendo" or "Super En Ee Es" so the official line is kind of important. Just a little.

Nah, not really, because even the "official" line can change with time (as this tweet in this thread shows). Language is about usage, and even a creator doesn't hold dominion of how anything is referred to (see MS and xbone).

For the longest time I just called it a Super Nintendo, then I transitioned over to S-N-E-S after finding out about the original N-E-S. I didn't know Sness was an option until I heard people on YouTube saying it, as I didn't know anyone who called it that. I say it occasionally if I'm really lazy. Snez just sounds dirty (so does prez). Super N-E-S is just a longer, more correct way of saying S-N-E-S.

That's mostly set up for the second part. Some pronounce Hylian as "hill ee an" or "heal ian".

Monsters among us.

...I do this (hill ee an).

Interestingly, however, I always pronounced the character Hylia from Skyward Sword correctly, and sometime recently that started bleeding over into Lake Hylia. I still pronounce Hylian Shield wrong though, because the right way is absolutely disgusting.

Also, never heard of the abomination that is att-att until this thread. WTF, guys.

Nah, not really, because even the "official" line can change with time (as this tweet in this thread shows). Language is about usage, and even a creator doesn't hold dominion of how anything is referred to (see MS and xbone).

That tweet is nothing, it's not even NoA. It's a store's Twitter making a meme, not official copy. Actual commercials that contain the actual real name for the product they're selling call it Super Nintendo and Super En Ee Es.

Words and names have meaning! Branding is important to companies to keep their marks, which is the exact reason we have S'more Flavored Oreo's and not S'moreos, and why Now You See Me 2 wasn't called Now You Don't.

It's been asked for before but please someone bring forth any proof that the Super Nintendo was ever officially called the Sness and maybe your side have an argument. As it stands now, the two main markets for the SNES call it either Super Nintendo or Super En Ee Es. Our side is winning! Heathens!

Let's keep it simple... are you going to trust the naming conventions of anyone who take a lovely, sleek bit of kit and turn it into a brick?

cWH4Jxy.png

Any nation that considers that an improvement can be ignored for any sort of naming authority.

SNEZ!

Sorry, incorrect.
2733042-9966247112-SNES-.jpg

SNES jr. all the way

Synth

That tweet is nothing, it's not even NoA. It's a store's Twitter making a meme, not official copy. Actual commercials that contain the actual real name for the product they're selling call it Super Nintendo and Super En Ee Es.

Words and names have meaning! Branding is important to companies to keep their marks, which is the exact reason we have S'more Flavored Oreo's and not S'moreos, and why Now You See Me 2 wasn't called Now You Don't.

It's been asked for before but please someone bring forth any proof that the Super Nintendo was ever officially called the Sness and maybe your side have an argument. As it stands now, the two main markets for the SNES call it either Super Nintendo or Super En Ee Es. Our side is winning! Heathens!

Words have meaning yea... but that hinges on usage and understanding, not on first usage of any single person's proclamation. All those people arguing against usage of "literally" as antonym of itself? Well, they're wrong now, as that's how language works. Same with Snes.

JABEE

SNES is an initialism. It is not meant to be pronounced like a word. There is no other way to interpret the branding for the Super Nintendo. No configuration allows for SNESS or NESS.

It’s ugly slang and I no longer consider the Nintendo Store account as an official agent for the company.

CookTrain

SNES is an initialism. It is not meant to be pronounced like a word. There is no other way to interpret the branding for the Super Nintendo. No configuration allows for SNESS or NESS.

It’s ugly slang and I no longer consider the Nintendo Store account as an official agent for the company.

Apart from reading it... that seems to get the job done quite nicely.

Thoraxes

Ness on Super Nintendo?

Well, I guess it can still be a correct image since Earthbound is on the thing, but their meme game failed hard by calling it the wrong name.

Clearly it's N-E-S-S on an S-N-E-S

Let's keep it simple... are you going to trust the naming conventions of anyone who take a lovely, sleek bit of kit and turn it into a brick?

cWH4Jxy.png

Any nation that considers that an improvement can be ignored for any sort of naming authority.

SNEZ!

In the early 90's the US design would have been much more "fashionable" though. Look at cars and electronics of the era.

ChrisD

Do you pronounce Game Boy Advance G B A or GEBA?

Gameboy when spoken, GB when written.
I say G B A in speech and written.
NES in speech and written.
Super Nintendo when spoken, (read as) Sness when written.

If I'm reading something out loud with the abbreviation I'll say Sness as well.

the only wrong thing with people saying Nintendo console names, the one thing that says you're a bad person, is when you write out GameCube as the NGC.

no

GCN

JDdelphin

"sness" is some stupid shit that all future california game journalists and youtube believed when they were kids by coincidence and then when they grew up, instead of experiencing the appropriate amount of shame and guilt before Jesus Christ, they used the bedeviled internet to delude themselves and countless innocents into thinking that it was how it was supposed to be all along

they will pay their wage when the sky falls and the judgment comes

And lo- he came unto them and told them of the ancient truth.
Harken to those who speak from the world before and bring truth into your heart.
The truth held before, of which there could be no other.
As once named, so forever named.
Never forgotten, as each heart remains true.
As truth once named, so forever remains true.

Amen.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

You think Nintendo cares that much? Hold that L history prevails.

Synth

Gameboy when spoken, GB when written.
I say G B A in speech and written.
NES in speech and written.
Super Nintendo when spoken, (read as) Sness when written.

If I'm reading something out loud with the abbreviation I'll say Sness as well.

the only wrong thing with people saying Nintendo console names, the one thing that says you're a bad person, is when you write out GameCube as the NGC.

no

GCN

What does GCN stand for?

Kucan

Everyone, don't worry, I've figured it out.

Us Brits say Snez because of Violet Berlin. And you'll never see an apology for that.

See above. Violet set the record for a nation.

The fact the show's called "Bad Influence" isn't helping the case for Snez.

Doesn't matter though, I'm sticking with Nez and Snez.

Top Bottom