• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NYC store twitter: [jay leno monologue voice] you heard about the sness?

what do you say when you want to sound like a hayseed

Results are only viewable after voting.

Syriel

Agreed. It only became PS1 after PS2 came out, and PSone is the slim. Before it was just.....Playstation. Take it from the two with the PS1 avatars! PSX means Playstation Experience.

The OG PlayStation only became the PS1 after Sony Japan released the PS2 based PSX multimedia console. Before that it was always PSX.

I just say S-N-E-S and call it a day.

This or Super Nintendo are the only acceptable answers.

Synth

The OG PlayStation only became the PS1 after Sony Japan released the PS2 based PSX multimedia console. Before that it was always PSX.

Nah, it was the PS1 before that (with there even being the explicit PSone 3 years before). The PSX release put a hard end to the usage of PSX however, kinda like how the Xbox One has caused to the OG Xbox to stop being the Xbox 1.

When I was a kid I was saying NES (ness, parents would say Nintendo) and later SNES (essness) but most of the time Super Nintendo (again parents would say Nintendo but any gaming device was a "Nintendo" for grown ups back then).

I'm ok with them :p

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's certainly SNES, which is why it is written SNES and not sness.

Synth

It's certainly SNES, which is why it is written SNES and not sness.

That's just daft. You can't alter the spelling of an acronym, whilst destroying the acronym itself in the process...

Some of the shit people are typing in here, lol.

D.Lo

Poms with their fucking 'SNEZ' apparently liked playing the 'Super Nintendo Entertainment Zystem'

I have never called it anything other than ”Super Nintendo" and until I started hearing people talk on gaming podcasts and stuff, I never heard it called anything else. ”Sness" is fine. ”Super N-E-S" is fine. ”Super Ness" makes my skin crawl.
Yep. Abbreviating just part of the name? Ugh.

I'll only accept 'Super Nintendo' or 'Ess En Ee Ess' myself.

Yep. Kids these days...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Olololololol@people who think people say Snes with a z. They're only typing z to make it clear they ended it with a hard s rather than a soft one.

Yoshi

That's just daft. You can't alter the spelling of an acronym, whilst destroying the acronym itself in the process...

Some of the shit people are typing in here, lol.

It's an acronym, not a word, therefore it should be pronounced as individual letters. If you want to use words, call it a Super Nintendo. Do you also say "g'ta" instead of "gee-tee-ay"?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
just fyi, it's pronounced "le snais" unless you're a total pleb

It's an acronym, not a word, therefore it should be pronounced as individual letters. If you want to use words, call it a Super Nintendo. Do you also say "g'ta" instead of "gee-tee-ay"?

Buy your ignorant arse a dictionary, read it and then come back to me.

Synth

Here, I'll post these (theez) again to help you out.

4ybP7or.png

eGctqfa.png

The whole point of an acronym is that you read it out as if it were a word. You can't start altering the spelling to reflect that, because then it ceases to be an abbreviation of the original words its made up of (in this case Super Nintendo Entertainment System). It it were to be written as "sness" that would stop being an acronym, and become a new distinct name for it.

Frankly, I don't think this should even need explaining.

Yoshi

Here, I'll post these (theez) again to help you out.

4ybP7or.png

eGctqfa.png

The whole point of an acronym is that you read it out as if it were a word. You can't start altering the spelling to reflect that, because then it ceases to be an abbreviation of the original words its made up of (in this case Super Nintendo Entertainment System). It it were to be written as "sness" that would stop being an acronym, and become a new distinct name for it.

Frankly, I don't think this should even need explaining.

OK, if English language has different words for these two: I disagree it is an acronym, it is an initialism.

Synth

OK, if English language has different words for these two: I disagree it is an acronym, it is an initialism.

That's all fine and well, but it honestly works as both (because all acronyms inherently work as initialism also). In order to categorically state something is "not an acronym" you need to be unable to read it as a word. Which the very basis of this discussion disproves.

You see mocking posts asking stuff like "go on, how do you say DVD then?" without realising that they're making the argument against themselves with the contrasting example.

Wow, in all my 30-some years of life, I never knew that some people called Nintendo's second system a "Sness" or "Snezz" until today.

I am from Northeast U.S., and am in my late 30s. I grew up with SNES in my early teens during the early 90s, prime time for the system. I played it heavily at the time with a lot of my friends. Every single kid and person that i have ever spoken to has always called it either a Super Nintendo, a Super N.E.S., or the less common S.N.E.S. (spelled out). NEVER not once in all my years did I hear it pronounced as Sness, or Snezz or did I ever think to pronounce it that way. When I read the words SNES or NES, I always spell it out... I am having a Berenstein Bears moment here...

I watched about 50 old SNES Commercials on youtube right now just to make sure. It was always mentioned in marketing, commercials, retail, and all official and non-official Nintendo outlets as a Super Nintendo, a Super N.E.S., or Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Super Nintendo and Super N.E.S. were the most common. Nintendo themselves and all 3rd party publishers, have used all three, and NONE have ever said sness or snez. Japanese commercials obviously call it Super Famicom. Can anyone in a non-U.S. country show me any commercials or marketing where they say sness or snezz?

Snezzers have seemed to have magically appeared out of nowhere to me, but i agree with the OP that this is due to the internet uniting the stragglers. Here are my hot takes:

If you say Sness or snezz because you speak a different language in a different country, and sness or snezz is easier for you to say than the initials spelled out, i guess you get a pass.

And I guess young kids who were born after the ess-en-ee-ess era get a pass too, and either don't know any better, or just copy how some idiot youtube streamers say it. If the 1st time you first played a SNES was after the N64 came out (i.e. the same time the internet became popular), yes, you are in this young group.

But if you played the system in the early 90s,and are from an english-speaking country (or even worse from the U.S.), and you call it a fucking sneeze or sness or whatever, you have neither excuse nor shame. (lol) How is it even possible when all marketing ever by Nintendo never said the name that way?? Is it a lazy stupid-sounding nickname you gave it when you were younger, and it just stuck?

Not

Banned
I finally voted on the poll because I wanted to wait until I knew what I would eventually end up voting for

Top Bottom