• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

Chauzu

I refuse to believe Super Mario Odyssey releases this October. Last November they could only show us a 3 second gameplay clip, no way you can go from that to a release in less than a year.
/s

JnFnRu

Although we didn't see much of MP4, it could be almost finished...

Remember when Odyssey was meant to be launch game as it was ready but delayed until Holidays 2017. Who knows whats going on at Nintendo behind the scenes.

Same with Pokemon, the Stars rumours mean it could be in development for a while....

Neoxon

The games are almost ready and all they did was a logo reveal? Hell, afaik did the Pokémon game not even get that
Can't knee-cap any hype that Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon may have. And while yeah, a Holiday 2018 release is possible for Pokémon Gen 8, TPC & Game Freak's history with development better supports a Fall/Holiday 2019 release.

As for MP4, that's honestly a wild-card. It all depends on when development started & if they used a pre-existing engine to speed up the development process.

The biggest hurdle is lack of seamless connectivity betseen 3DS and Switch. We know they can connect online due to MH XX, but locally probably not. Is this an issue? Only Game Freak knows.

Is there a reason for Game Freak to break precedent? The most obvious one is lack of backwards compability between 3DS and Switch, which is unprecedented for Nintendo. Is it an issue that you can't play 3DS Pokémon games on Switch? Only Game Freak knows.

Precedent defo supports no Pokémon on Switch until 2019, but if precedent gets broken, it won't be hard to justify why.

At the very least, at a hardware level, we know the 3DS and Switch are wirelessly compatible just by looking at FCC filings. Getting local communication working between the two should just be a matter of software. If GF wanted that to happen but needed support from Nintendo, I think we both know Nintendo wouldn't turn them down.

Although we didn't see much of MP4, it could be almost finished...

Remember when Odyssey was meant to be launch game as it was ready
but delayed until Holidays 2017. Who knows whats going on at Nintendo behind the scenes.

Same with Pokemon, the Stars rumours mean it could be in development for a while....

No, could you provide a link to this? I remember hearing it was "almost done." Pikmin 4 was "nearly complete" and now it's "progressing."

Neoxon

No, could you provide a link to this? I remember hearing it was "almost done." Pikmin 4 was "nearly complete" and now it's "progressing."
Eurogamer memtioned that Mario Odyssey was basically done as of January, which Nintendo later confirmed after the Switch Presentation.

Depends on the size and scope of the game. If it is a 8 hour single player campaign with online multiplayer. It could be ready. Also depends on who the developer is and how big the team is. Is this what Platinum is working on?

Anyway, I expect it has been in development on some level for a little bit. I think you see the game release late 2018. Pokemon I'm sure is late 2018 as well.

I suspect next year for Switch you see:

Kirby, Yoshi, FE, Pokemon, Metroid, Mario Maker deluxe, Hyrule Warrior Deluxe, Animal crossing, and Retro new IP.

I still wonder is Smash is coming this November 2017.

jmizzal

Eurogamer memtioned that Mario Odyssey was basically done as of January, which Nintendo later confirmed after the Switch Presentation.

Nintendo never said Mario Odyssey was a launch game, people cant compare what some rumors say to what Nintendo said

The games are almost ready and all they did was a logo reveal? Hell, afaik did the Pokémon game not even get that

Who said they are almost ready? If they come out next fall, thats almost 2 years more of development time, they didnt know show the games becouse it would have too away from Sun/Moon ultra and the new Metroid 3ds game. Outside of Zelda games Nintendo never really shows anything until the game is about a year away.

JnFnRu

Cant find the link for this, it was either Eurogamer, Emily Rogers or Laura Date who rumoured this. (but Im gravitating towards Emily)

Neoxon

Nintendo never said Mario Odyssey was a launch game, people cant compare what some rumors say to what Nintendo said
They didn't, they just said that it was pretty close to completion as of January, which was the point of my post.

Kinyou

Can't knee-cap any hype that Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon may have. And while yeah, a Holiday 2018 release is possible for Pokémon Gen 8, TPC & Game Freak's history with development better supports a Fall/Holiday 2019 release.

As for MP4, that's honestly a wild-card. It all depends on when development started & if they used a pre-existing engine to speed up the development process.
I think I'd be more believing about MP4 if the teaser had included a 2018 date. If it's really coming next year it would be a huge error to leave that out of the announcement.

They most likely didn't show Pokémon because they're releasing Ultra Sun and Moon beforehand.

They don't want to compete with themselves.

Might be the same for Metroid.

what if they didn't want to show it but kinda had to, because the backlash of fans if they only announced the 3ds game would overshadow everything else (see FF)?

ash_ag

The only reputation TPC and Game Freak have development-wise that is relevant today is that they don't announce games until they have essentially gone gold. It's also rather evident that they start planning the next generation before the previous one has even released. Just look at the Strange Souvenir in XY. We need to keep a couple things in mind:

1. There is no gain in announcing a practically non-existent (ie., a Holiday 2019) Pokémon game for Switch when USUM is just around the corner. And it makes even less sense to "lie" that it's coming in 2018.

2. Pokémon generations have traditionally lasted either 3 or 4 years. Many people went to great lengths arguing that Gen 7 in 2016 was an "impossible scenario" because it was expected that Gen 5's 3-year length would be followed by a 4-year long Gen 6. Fact is, 3 is the new 4, and 2 may consequently be the new 3.

3. Try to think of a new reason for Game Freak to start off a new platform with anything but a new generation. Assuming infinite development resources, which they essentially have, there's little reason to start with anything but a new generation. It's not that they couldn't from a technical perspective, but why?

One more thing: Shigeru Ohmori directed Sun and Moon. Who's to say that Masuda wasn't working on Gen 8 in parallel with Ohmori's Gen 7? We do know that they have had the NX SDK for a long time.

I'd be very surprised if 2018 is a gap year despite all these preliminary announcements, and I'd be surprised if it's anything other than Gen 8. A DP remake wouldn't cut it, a third Alola game would certainly not cut it, so what else could it be? The only thing that could make a "bang" as big as a new generation is maybe a new Kanto-based game, but after so many consequent years of Kanto focus, I really doubt it.

Personally I'm hoping for a multi-gen remake, combining several regions into one game, but I know that's pretty unlikely. It'd be nice to get like, 1-4 in one huge package as a giant adventure though.

NeonZ

Fire Emblem also had no details, not even a logo, and it was announced in January. Like mentioned before, the pattern with all these series is that they have other announced titles that are getting released before these Switch games.

Zedark

They most likely didn't show Pokémon because they're releasing Ultra Sun and Moon beforehand.

They don't want to compete with themselves.

Might be the same for Metroid.
I rather think they want to do a BOTW/SMO type blow-out, but in the meantime want to as sure Switch fans that they're not being shorted on Metroid content.

Sponge

Banned
I doubt it. 2D and 3D Metroid can easily co-exist since they are effectively two completely different genres.

I think they just don't want to cannibalize sales. Metroid is a series where fans will gladly buy the 2D and 3D entries, but I already have friends passing on Ultra Sun and Moon because they heard about a Switch game coming.

mas8705

Would be a hell of a mic drop to compliment Switch year 2 if this holds true. Don't know why people are up in arms about this though considering that when we look at how Nintendo does business, this isn't really uncommon for them to show something off and then it come out a short time later (Most recent example I can think of being Fire Emblem: Echoes that was revealed back in January and came out in April in Japan and May everywhere else. Yeah, it was based off of a previous FE game, but was still something that caught people off guard).

Uhm guys... Check the video at the top of the article https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...ins-why-they-didnt-focus-on-indie-games-at-e3

Reggie says something different there.

The video seems to be a small snippet from another interview.

Reggie Fils-Aimé said:
The response to what we've showcased, and it really is just a small tip for 2018, has been exceptionally positive. You've got fans seeing Metroid Prime 4, hearing that Mr. Tanabe, who's been involved in all of the Metroid Prime games, is going to be at the helm of that, the fans are tremendously excited. To hear that there's going to be a core Pokémon RPG experience on the Nintendo Switch, the fans are incredibly excited. To see a traditional Kirby experience, with him inhaling enemies and copying abilities, fans are excited about that. And then the Yoshi game that we showcased, with that unique, you know, motion to go "behind-the-scenes," so to speak, has people really intrigued. So just by showcasing those four games, and giving a little bit of a taste, yeah there's a lot of excitement to what 2018 can hold.

I mean, this can still mean "2018 and Beyond" but they seem to be targeting 2018 - even if just for a reveal.

NSESN

The video seems to be a small snippet from another interview.

I mean, this can still mean "2018 and Beyond" but they seem to be targeting 2018 - even if just for a reveal.

Yep. People here is pushing the negativity too much. Everything points out to next year. Hell, I would not be surprised if Pokemon Stars was sort of a demo of the Sun and Moon engine for Switch, then a 2018 release wouldn't be difficult to achieve. Remember that Sun/Moon has almost no fetures that wouldn't be possible for the Switch like XY had. So, imo, Pokemon Switch will release next year but will be the SM engine slightly modified.

It seems like they want them to release in 2018, but they're not 100% sure if they'll make it for 2018. We'll just have to wait and see how development goes.

MoonFrog

It seems like they want them to release in 2018, but they're not 100% sure if they'll make it for 2018. We'll just have to wait and see how development goes.

Yeah. This is what it seems to be to me, after the two quotes, especially Reggie's.

2018 is currently the plan, but that doesn't mean it pans out.

I really hope Metroid is next year's E3 booth theme for Nintendo.

Imagine... Entire sections of their booth being caverns and an alien landscape, with Metroids and other creature statues all on display.

Phenomenal.

Yeah. This is what it seems to be to me, after the two quotes, especially Reggie's.

2018 is currently the plan, but that doesn't mean it pans out.

Exactly, especially when you notice he says "What 2018 can hold" rather than "What 2018 will hold."

Ogodei

With Pokemon it depends on how much resources Game Freak spent on Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, and even then it'd be a tight schedule. It seems to be 3/3.5 years between generation iterations has been the rule since the Gen II - Gen III gap (for US release dates, 2000, 2003, 2007, early 2011, late 2013, late 2016). Late 2016-late 2018 would be a tighter gap Game Freak's worked on in a long time, along with a major upgrade in art and design requirements.

Metroid Prime 4 is more likely given that it seems like this is an EPD team and those guys work pretty fast, and Metroid games usually aren't huge in the amount of content they have (each game franchisewide usually having 2-5 major bosses plus a final boss, barring Metroid II which had 39 sub-bosses, but only divided into 5 groups)

I could see MP4 coming out fall 2018. They'll likely have a big blowout E3 2018 with it being one of the primary showcases on the Treehouse.

ksamedi

Correct. All the interviews imply 2018 but Im sure they have other games ready to fill in the gap if it doesnt pan out.

What is more important to understand is that Nintendo sells most in the second and third year of their console businesses. So we should assume they will have a stellar lineup ready for 2018 and 2019. We dont need to be pessimistic.

Instro

Yeah, seems suspect to me.

No fucking way this is true.

Consider the reason both games were announced in this fashion though. They caught a big backlash from announcing Pokemon 3DS just before E3, and they had already lived though the shitstorm of Federation Force. It seems like they scrambled to get something together to pacify Pokemon and Metroid fans(due to Metroid 3DS). Obviously you cant cobble together video that quickly if the devs weren't expecting to show their game off for another 3-6 months.

Servbot24

Banned
I refuse to believe Super Mario Odyssey releases this October. Last November they could only show us a 3 second gameplay clip, no way you can go from that to a release in less than a year.
/s
Well the game only has 3 levels in it after all.

JoeM86

A lot of your arguments seem to be based on the idea that the unprecedented cannot happen. If we don't use this logic, is there any other reason a generation couldn't span two consoles?

It's not just due to precedence, it's due to logic and knowledge of how Game Freak & The Pokémon Company works. They beat to the sound of their drum, not Nintendo's

Atheerios

It's not just due to precedence, it's due to logic and knowledge of how Game Freak & The Pokémon Company works. They beat to the sound of their drum, not Nintendo's

Well, to be fair, and to counter your argument... The last mythical Pokemon of the generation will be distributed this year. Historically, this has always marked the end of a generation (except Gen 3 if I remember correctly).

Also, the TCG is going extremely fast and there will be soon both Marshadow and Necrozma cards.

Unless they really introduce new Pokemon in USUM (which I doubt), there's not much content for the franchise in 2018.

Also, regarding the anime. You can already see in the new opening that Ash will be battling Olivia pretty soon, and when that happens we will be halfway through. They could always rush though the inevitable Aether saga, so one year and 5 months left for the anime seems just enough.

Jobbs

Banned
Metroid Prime 4 is more likely given that it seems like this is an EPD team and those guys work pretty fast, and Metroid games usually aren't huge in the amount of content they have (each game franchisewide usually having 2-5 major bosses plus a final boss, barring Metroid II which had 39 sub-bosses, but only divided into 5 groups)

We have no idea how long MP4 has been in development. It could easily be that they could hvae shown great stuff from it at E3 but chose not to as not to rob Samus Returns of any thunder.

Neonep

Folks really betting on the anime to be sped. It hasn't even been on for a year and it's gonna end roughly a year from now?

Neoxon

Well, to be fair, and to counter your argument... The last mythical Pokemon of the generation will be distributed this year. Historically, this has always marked the end of a generation (except Gen 3 if I remember correctly).

Also, the TCG is going extremely fast and there will be soon both Marshadow and Necrozma cards.

Unless they really introduce new Pokemon in USUM (which I doubt), there's not much content for the franchise in 2018.

Also, regarding the anime. You can already see in the new opening that Ash will be battling Olivia pretty soon, and when that happens we will be halfway through. They could always rush though the inevitable Aether saga, so one year and 5 months left for the anime seems just enough.
Wouldn't the anime still have to cover the new stuff that US/UM is gonna introduce?

wmlk

TPC was also saying how what they have on Switch could be a big change compared to the 3DS games. DS -> 3DS didn't really change the style of play like 3DS -> Switch will.

I would like to see them skip 2018 entirely after feeling that the 3DS era was a blemish for the series after the amazing DS era, but I think they want to keep Pokémon always at the forefront.

And Ishihara's "more than a year" doesn't mean a thing. July 2018 is also more than a year.

Neonep

What if Gen 8 is going back to Kanto and there are new gyms and you can go back to the old ones. In the anime it's Ash going back trying to conquer the Indigo League this time out. That would be something.

so i was thinking.. maybe retro is helping gamefreak to make the switch pokemon game? gamefreak isnt exactly experienced in console games (okay they made a ps4 game before) and retro did help with other nintendo franchises like mario kart 7 in the past

so i was thinking.. maybe retro is helping gamefreak to make the switch pokemon game? gamefreak isnt exactly experienced in console games (okay they made a ps4 game before) and retro did help with other nintendo franchises like mario kart 7 in the past

That would be... interesting. I doubt it though. They are probably advising/sharing tech for Prime 4 while working on whatever the hell they've been working on the last 3.5 years.

The Prime games are pretty meaty though, and quite dense as well, with a lot of complexity in it's design- it's probably not something that can be developed quickly, especially by a new team. Also, not all of EPD works quickly. It depends on the size and priority of the project. Pikmin games, for example, seem to take forever. And then there is the fact that this being an EPD game is still a rumor at this point.

JoeM86

Both valid points

Though we do have the following Mythicals we need to get:

Original Color Magearna
Eternal Flower Floette

So there's still things to distribute, but I do agree that only one Mythical and the now imminent battle with Olivia does change things a bit.

I'm just still doubting it's next year. It's against everything The Pokémon Company has done and set out for the franchise. It's too soon for a new generation. They risk Yo-kai Watching it.

Meesh

What I care/want most for new Prime?
Pointer controls are a must have.
Fresh story with new antagonist/main villain.
New weapons and returning favorites.
Massive jaw dropping bosses!
There's gotta be some kind of online component at this point that's richer than Corruptions.
And as silly as it is... there'd better be a kick ass NA LE!! I like goodies lol.

The only reputation TPC and Game Freak have development-wise that is relevant today is that they don't announce games until they have essentially gone gold. It's also rather evident that they start planning the next generation before the previous one has even released. Just look at the Strange Souvenir in XY. We need to keep a couple things in mind:

1. There is no gain in announcing a practically non-existent (ie., a Holiday 2019) Pokémon game for Switch when USUM is just around the corner. And it makes even less sense to "lie" that it's coming in 2018.

2. Pokémon generations have traditionally lasted either 3 or 4 years. Many people went to great lengths arguing that Gen 7 in 2016 was an "impossible scenario" because it was expected that Gen 5's 3-year length would be followed by a 4-year long Gen 6. Fact is, 3 is the new 4, and 2 may consequently be the new 3.

3. Try to think of a new reason for Game Freak to start off a new platform with anything but a new generation. Assuming infinite development resources, which they essentially have, there's little reason to start with anything but a new generation. It's not that they couldn't from a technical perspective, but why?

One more thing: Shigeru Ohmori directed Sun and Moon. Who's to say that Masuda wasn't working on Gen 8 in parallel with Ohmori's Gen 7? We do know that they have had the NX SDK for a long time.

I'd be very surprised if 2018 is a gap year despite all these preliminary announcements, and I'd be surprised if it's anything other than Gen 8. A DP remake wouldn't cut it, a third Alola game would certainly not cut it, so what else could it be? The only thing that could make a "bang" as big as a new generation is maybe a new Kanto-based game, but after so many consequent years of Kanto focus, I really doubt it.

This pretty much.

Most logical out look on things imo

Top Bottom