• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America says Metroid Prime 4 and "new Pokemon game" are 2018 titles

Neoxon

Yeah, after that thread about what Tanabe was saying in 2015 I started to think MP4 is a lot further along than we think. It seems like Nintendo doesn't want to sabotage their 3DS releases by showing off the Switch releases in the same franchises which makes a hell of a lot of sense.
Even then, they could have at least given us a general timeframe. Even TPC gave us some expectations for its release period, even though they couldn't say much without knee-capping US/UM.

There's a lot of "no way, that's not coming next year" sentiment in here. Why? As others have mentioned, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, and Splatoon 2 were all announced less than a year ago. Is it really that hard to believe? Hell, there are still people in here that think Xenoblade is coming next year despite Nintendo reaffirming a 2017 release. It's time to just accept that this is the approach Nintendo is taking now.

Taker666

Well..they've got up to 18 months. It's possible.

We know Retro have been working on a game for 3+ years..and they've not even done a basic reveal trailer for that.

Yoshi, Kirby ,Metroid, Pokemon, Retro Studios game, Pikmin 4, Smash port/sequel, Mario Maker port/sequel.

That's a pretty decent chunk of the year filled first party wise if they all come to fruition.

Wamb0wneD

It wasn't a mainline Metroid Prime game, so they could still say it's made by a new team; a new team as in not the team which made the original trilogy.

There's no indication that it's a new internal team.

The bolded is you reading way more into the statements than I ever did lol. Tanabe directed FF, his favourite character Sylux made an appearence again just like he did at the end of Prime 3. Tanabe sees it as part of the Prime canon so it really doesn't matter what people on forums see it as.
Again, NLG wouldn't be refered to as a new development team. Simple as that.

Megatron

the direct said no pokemon for at least a year so Nov. 2018 would make sense.

Metroid would be awesome next year but we know nothing about how long it's been in development and it's a new studio working on it. could see early 2019.

Is it? Whats Retro doing?

wildfire

Banned
Pokemon I expected.

But Metroid?

That justifies the overwhelming hype built up now even if it gets delayed Q1 2019.

That's crazy they really are only announcing 2017-2018 games.

Praise be Nintendo!

The Switch strategy will be working if this is true.

Zalman

I'll never understand people's disbelief in something coming out at a certain time. Is it because we haven't seen it? The way it was announced?

I'm not asking out of annoyance, but genuine curiosity. I feel like they announced Metroid and Pokemon out of the need to get the announcements out of the way after the Pokemon Direct backlash and the call for more Prime, more than not existing.

There's still 15-18 months before they ever come out, and that's tons of time. I'm sure they're already in development.
They announced other 2018 titles in the Spotlight. If these games are scheduled for next year, I don't see why they wouldn't have said so from the beginning. The fact that 2018 has not been stated anywhere officially makes me think it's a mistake on Scibetta's part.

If these games are listed as 2018 titles on the next release schedule, I'll be more inclined to believe it.

Neoxon

Do you all actually believe that GameFreak is capable of creating a HD-quality Pokemon in less than 2 years? There's like 500 Pokemon all with outdated models that will have to be re-done from the ground up.

Kirby and Yoshi I can see as 2018 games.

Metroid Prime 4? No, I don't think so. If all they can show off now is a logo then I don't think it's that far along.
The Pokémon models were already future-proofed for HD development. Also, it's 802 Pokémon, not 500.

Zedark

I mean, I feel like there's three possibilities.

1. Yoshi and Kirby are the only first party titles they'll release on the Switch next year.

2. They announced MP4 and Pokemon this year instead of the hypothetical games that are further along in development that are actually going to release next year for some reason.

3. This is true.

3 is the only one that makes sense to me. The end of 2018 is practically 1.5 years away ffs. It's not at all rare for games to get a shorter reveal to release turnaround than 18 damn months.

Shit, outside of BotW, 18 months between announcement and release seems like a damn eternity for Nintendo's stuff.

There's also Fire Emblem for 2018, but yeah, those three games aren't going to be all imo, so I am willing to believe this is true.

Honestly I don't think Metroid for next year is that far fetched. The OG Prime games had roughly 2 year cycles, 3 for MP3. If this started in late 2015 or beginning of 2016 then it's a pretty reasonable timeframe. If it uses Unreal Engine 4 or something like Yoshi does that could save some time too. Maybe it's optimistic but I can see it as a fall game.

We *could* get another game set in Alola or even gen IV remakes next spring. Why does it have to be the 8th generation?

I mean we could... But given comments about supporting 3DS through 2018, and Pokemon on consoles for the first time being an unprecedented, event-worthy affair, I think the DP remakes will probably be on 3DS if they're happening. It just makes sense to have Pokemon's debut on a new console be a fresh start, if they weren't interested in bringing US/UM to it.

Do you all actually believe that GameFreak is capable of creating a HD-quality Pokemon in less than 2 years? There's like 500 Pokemon all with outdated models that will have to be re-done from the ground up.

Kirby and Yoshi I can see as 2018 games.

Metroid Prime 4? No, I don't think so. If all they can show off now is a logo then I don't think it's that far along.

Do you know the reason why Pokemon battles drop FPS so much in SuMo? Those Pokemon models are too complex for the 3DS to handle smoothly. They're future proofed. For this exact reason.

Its the same models and animations used in Pokemon Go, those models do not need to be touch besides AT MOST textures.

entremet

My skepticism arises from the fact that they showed a splash screen and a guy saying "yeah, we're working on a pokemon game" respectively.

It reminds me of the people they brought out on stage at the original switch conference who didn't really have anything and for the most part still don't have anything.

GF shows their game when they are near done. Remember X/Y, ORAS and Sun and Moon?

Shiggy

The bolded is you reading way more into the statements than I ever did lol. Tanabe directed FF, his favourite character Sylux made an appearence again just like he did at the end of Prime 3. Tanabe sees it as part of the Prime canon so it really doesn't matter what people on forums see it as.
Again, NLG wouldn't be refered to as a new development team. Simple as that.

Tanabe is not writing Nintendo's press releases though.

Jonboy

Saw the headline go out in a tweet for this thread:
giphy.gif

Then saw it was Nirolak who posted:
giphy.gif

Seriously...I'll believe it when I see it. But of course, I'd absolutely love to play Prime 4 in 2018.

There's a lot of "no way, that's not coming next year" sentiment in here. Why? As others have mentioned, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, and Splatoon 2 were all announced less than a year ago. Is it really that hard to believe? Hell, there are still people in here that think Xenoblade is coming next year despite Nintendo reaffirming a 2017 release. It's time to just accept that this is the approach Nintendo is taking now.
Ppl keep naming these games and they were all announced with full blown trailers as well that game you the impression they were practically done as well. Like wise similar games like bayonetta 2,X,zelda,Tokyo mirage sessions Fe announced with titles or in game cinematic trailers all came out later

Gamefreak have never left old hardware behind during a gen they start fresh with an all new one

I'm sorry, but there is no way in hell we're getting either title by the end of next year. Considering what we know about where they are in development, there is no way these games are going to ship within 18 months.

Nintendo can say they are planned for 2018, but I expect a 6 month delay on Pokemon, and a 10 month delay on Prime, at the very least.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
There's no indication that it's a new internal team.

The fact that they list "Developer: Nintendo" indicates to me that it must be an internal team. Maybe they conflate developer and publisher in their fact sheets though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Everything lines up to it being 2019.

Because it doesn't fit how they do generations or the progression of the generation outside the Mythical Pokémon.

Nobody said it would have been a new generation tough
Could be an HD Stars project
Metroid could be in development as a wiiu game since 2015

I think they both will be 2019 games but it is not that mandatory to think about them as late 2018 games

We honestly know so little about these projects that anything could happen

ramparter

Banned
I don't get these comments, do you people like to sound naive - no offense but I actually wanna say stupid, because that's how I feel just reading this. They could have the game ready and still show a logo, you don't know how far they are into development. In the end maybe it will release in 18 maybe it won't, Nintendo have no problem delaying a title if more time is needed but we have no clue right now.

kevin1025

Banned
They announced other 2018 titles in the Spotlight. If these games are scheduled for next year, I don't see why they wouldn't have said so from the beginning. The fact that 2018 has not been stated anywhere officially makes me think it's a mistake on Scibetta's part.

If these games are listed as 2018 titles on the next release schedule, I'll be more inclined to believe it.

That makes sense. The way I see it, Kirby and Yoshi are likely very early 2018 games, and Pokemon and Metroid could be their big fall games and aren't ready to be seen whatsoever yet. But by E3 2018, they can have their big push. But with 18 months to go, on Metroid especially, it's likely hard to give any more info at the moment.

But I think it's definitely possible!

yuraya

Damn.

Assuming both release by March 2019 then the first 2 years for the Switch will be the best ever for any console in terms of first party output. This device will be huge.

Zedark

The fact that they list "Developer: Nintendo" indicates to me that it must be an internal team. Maybe they conflate developer and publisher in their fact sheets though.

Not really, there are several externally developed Nintendo published games that have "Nintendo" listed in the press kits as developer.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
e3 2016 BotW
e3 2017 Mario Odyssey
e3 2018 Prime 4

Goddamn....Nintendo going for the Triple.

JoeM86

Nobody said it would have been a new generation tough
Could be an HD Stars project
Metroid could be in development as a wiiu game since 2015

I think they both will be 2019 games but it is not that mandatory to think about them as late 2018 games

We honestly know so little about these projects that anything could happen

Again, as I have said, they would not jump console mid-Pokémon generation. That would not happen.

mazillion

Yeah I don't know about this. Metroid specifically said "now in development" instead of "2018" like Kirby or Yoshi. I think they were very deliberate with that wording. Am I supposed to believe that a week later suddenly they're confident in 2018 release date? If they thought they could hit 2018 they would want in the trailer or not spoiled it at all in this interview.

These all sound like late 2018 titles. Any switch AAA hits in the first half of the year?

We know Yoshi and Kirby for sure. Pretty confident those can make the beginning/first half of next year. There's obviously going to be more but I think they're focusing on H2 2017 titles for now, and then there'll be a winter Direct where they do a blowout on next year.

Fireblend

Banned
Also you just know that Pokemon dev had a Word doc open in his computer while recording that with the words "IDEAS FOR POKEMON SWITCH" written on it and nothing else.

:p

emb

Pokemon, I could see. They usually have good control of their marketing cycles, seems like XY and SunMoon came out less than a year after real reveals. They have reason not to put too much focus on the next game, with Ultra Sun and Moon coming out this year.

Metroid Prime 4 though, I think if there was much of anything already done, then we'd have seen some visual. The impression Nintendo left me with there was that this game only started development recently.

Shiggy

That doesn't say anything.

Says Nintendo for Hey! Pikmin, which is made by Arzest.

Nintendo also didn't credit NLG on Metroid Prime FF:
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/metroid-prime-federation-force-3ds#game-details

After the E3 reveal, they also said it's developed by Nintendo:
http://web.archive.org/web/20151018...:80/games/3ds/metroid-prime-federation-force/

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If...IF Xeno 2 will actually release ww within this year, it would be fun to see GAF being adamant about both pokemon and Metroid being 2018 games even if Nintendo will continue saying this...until the actual 2018 release

Lol

Top Bottom