• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo official financial report (10/25),Wii worldwide sales revealed

I think the news about the new people coming to NOA needs a new thread

This whole move raises many questions. I was shocked when Reggie was promoted so fast
I wonder how Perrin and George felt about that, would you not feel a bit slighted being passed up for a promotion like that?

This whole move the marketing to another city and the lack of promotions for AAA games has me worried

Is Reggie next to leave Nintendo?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
JoshuaJSlone said:
As long as their next home console isn't just another clockspeed increase for Flipper/Gekko, it should be a pretty drastic improvement.

Correct, but the issue would be, would they just continue this same design since it turned out to be a gamble that was immensely successful?

Oblivion said:
Correct, but the issue would be, would they just continue this same design since it turned out to be a gamble that was immensely successful?
I don't think we can credit much of Wii's success to "it's an overclocked GameCube". That it's cheap, yes. That it allowed an easy transition for developers used to GameCube, sure. That it has GCN BC, a little. But that it's actually primarily derived from GameCube, probably not so much. There comes a point where it would just be crazy inefficient to not go with something new.

Sule

Oblivion said:

I remember reading that the Zelda team (and maybe other teams within Nintendo also) wanted the Wii to have higher specs to compete with 360/PS3. Obviously their wishes weren't granted. I don't believe the teams within Nintendo wanting to do games with HD graphics (not only graphics of course, but AI etc also) would be happy with a similar upgrade next gen. The difference between Wii titles and PS3/360 titles will become bigger and bigger and the people at Nintendo making the games (even those that didn't find 360/PS3 specs necessary this gen) will want to do the same things being done for those platforms, graphics, AI, large seamless worlds etc. And in the end it's the people making the games that decide what the hardware is going to be like, especially at Nintendo where practically everyone works in the same building.

Parl

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't think we can credit much of Wii's success to "it's an overclocked GameCube". That it's cheap, yes. That it allowed an easy transition for developers used to GameCube, sure. That it has GCN BC, a little. But that it's actually primarily derived from GameCube, probably not so much. There comes a point where it would just be crazy inefficient to not go with something new.

Especially how as older technology starts to gets phased out, along with the machinery used to produce the units, it can often become more expensive than low-end, but more modern, technology. For instance I'm pleased with the price of RAM being so low at the moment, and DDR2 is cheaper than DDR, despite being faster and newer technology.

In about 5 years' time, a Wii 1.5 won't cost all that much less than a Xbox 360 1.5.

Saitou

Banned
Joshua, I'm loving your new avatar, but the dancing four-eyed purple banana has been forever embedded into my retina.

JaY P.

Sule said:
I remember reading that the Zelda team (and maybe other teams within Nintendo also) wanted the Wii to have higher specs to compete with 360/PS3. Obviously their wishes weren't granted. I don't believe the teams within Nintendo wanting to do games with HD graphics (not only graphics of course, but AI etc also) would be happy with a similar upgrade next gen. The difference between Wii titles and PS3/360 titles will become bigger and bigger and the people at Nintendo making the games (even those that didn't find 360/PS3 specs necessary this gen) will want to do the same things being done for those platforms, graphics, AI, large seamless worlds etc. And in the end it's the people making the games that decide what the hardware is going to be like, especially at Nintendo where practically everyone works in the same building.

Super Mario Galaxy says hi!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Wow. It looks as if the Wii is going to dominate through much of 2008 if not all of it. I suppose it was probably a good idea to release Brawl in February to keep the momentum going through March.

JoshuaJSlone said:
presuming they stick with basically the same controller, they won't need to make the console as low risk/low cost for developers. it'll already be proven control wise... developers and publishers will already know how the sales turned out, that kind of thing.

i'm sure they'll go for something at about the same price point, so i wouldn't expect it to be generationally beyond the 360 or the PS3, but by developing all new hardware, it should represent more bang for your buck than the wii when it comes to raw horse power.

JaY P.

Pureauthor said:
SMG doesn't negate what he said in the least - SMG may look as good as an X360 title in SD, but the gap will continue to grow wider.

So very true, but when the masses look at the back of the game covers they are not saying, "wow look at that AI!" To the everyday consumers AI takes a back seat to pretty pictures. Why does everyone seem to assume that Wii development will remain stagnant? SMG is probably the first real game made for the Wii so lets wait and see what else developers (er... Nintendo) can squeeze out the system first. I'm still shocked that the Wii was able to output SMG.

Saitou said:
Joshua, I'm loving your new avatar, but the dancing four-eyed purple banana has been forever embedded into my retina.
Oh, he'll be back.
plagiarize said:
i'm sure they'll go for something at about the same price point, so i wouldn't expect it to be generationally beyond the 360 or the PS3, but by developing all new hardware, it should represent more bang for your buck than the wii when it comes to raw horse power.
Given how they haven't been able to keep things in stock at $250 and that next generation they won't have to play the "We'll be the cheap/safe alternative since we can't beat PS3 at its own game" card, I wouldn't be too surprised at a $300 launch price next go around. But talking about specific price points is really getting ahead of things.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Smiles and Cries said:
I think the news about the new people coming to NOA needs a new thread

This whole move raises many questions. I was shocked when Reggie was promoted so fast
I wonder how Perrin and George felt about that, would you not feel a bit slighted being passed up for a promotion like that?

This whole move the marketing to another city and the lack of promotions for AAA games has me worried

Is Reggie next to leave Nintendo?

He's behind the move...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Pureauthor said:
SMG doesn't negate what he said in the least - SMG may look as good as an X360 title in SD, but the gap will continue to grow wider.

Who cares? It doesn't matter, it only matters to an extent, and as far as the Wii goes that extent is irrelevant. The gap in SD is far more tolerable then most hardcore gamers make out to be, and that is if anything.

About HD, even if everyone had an HDTV, HD doesn't matter now and will not matter, not this decade and for a good part of next decade, it seems unbelievable but soon enough it won't be. People are poised to opt for SD many times over in a variety of markets. It's more than set, it's a plan part of something you couldn't hope to understand, if you live you'll see, and if you're smart enough you'll manage to make some money for yourself in the process while the HD promise gets everyone else poorer.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Parl said:
Especially how as older technology starts to gets phased out, along with the machinery used to produce the units, it can often become more expensive than low-end, but more modern, technology. For instance I'm pleased with the price of RAM being so low at the moment, and DDR2 is cheaper than DDR, despite being faster and newer technology.

In about 5 years' time, a Wii 1.5 won't cost all that much less than a Xbox 360 1.5.

Oh, wow I didn't know that. The part about better tech. actually being cheaper. Makes me that much less worriesome next time around. Although I don't ever want tech to stop advancing, I feel that the 360/PS3 have arrived at a point where most of the problems with previous gens (blurry textures, jaggies, etc.) won't be an issue. And if they were to stop even at that point, it wouldn't be that bad.

KeithFranklin said:
I Swear you Nintendo people would hit anything with Mario underwear.

Now onto the shipments for the next 6 months and what kind of holiday shortages will happen. So they have shipped to retailer 13.17M through end of September. Assuming that September shipments sell in October. How much will they get out for the holiday. 10M units shipped from 10/01 - 03/31 = 1.66M per month.

NA boost in sales starts in November.
Japan Boost in sales starts late December (Holiday that really boost sales is in January)
Europe boost in sales starts in November (Or because of no Thanksgiving is it a little later).

You have 2M units (Units shipped in October for November) to allocate for November sales and 2M units (Units shipped in November for December) to allocate for December. This assumes Nintendo can up the shipments for the holidays.

How do you split them?
On average 1M per month for NA?
On average 500K per month for Europe?
On average 500K per month for Japan?

They're only selling a little less than a million each month since launch. There's been a surplus of .3 M each month since November 06.

Linkup

Pureauthor said:

Gap will never get larger than wiisports and gears of war.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=a3FKYMLPMdoE&refer=japan
Nintendo, the world's largest maker of handheld game players, plans to keep monthly production at 1.8 million Wii consoles, after boosting the output during the three months ended June 30, President Satoru Iwata said at a briefing in Tokyo today. The console will also be sold in Korea from next year, Iwata said.
1.8 million/month would work out to 21.6 million/year, just shy of PS2's peak production. Or at least, just shy of the most they claimed as manufactured in a single financial year.

PS2 through 2002-03-31: 28.68 million
PS2 through 2003-03-31: 51.20 million
Difference: 22.52 million

All other PS2 financial years were below 21.6 million, though.

Top Bottom