• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo posts $160M net income, cuts 3DS/Wii U/NDS/Wii forecasts

Sandfox

Black and White 2 are selling about on par if not a little better than platinum so I guess the experiment was a success for Game Freak.

Oc-Dec FY 2006-2007 -> Wii managed 3.19 million hardware sales

Oc-Dec FY 2006-2007 -> Wii U managed 3.06 million hardware sales

The Wii U is not doomed...not yet at least.

Nintendo just needs to ride the storm for the next two months because sales are probably going to be bad in Feburary since Rayman is the only release and March should still be a little bad but should pick up.

guek

Banned
Yep, I expect NSMBU to consistently chart for years to come. 5 to 6 M lifetime sales should be easily doable ( i don't want to say a given)

Overall I'd say the WiiU did rather well. ( a lot better than I expected) but it's nowhere near amazing or strong. It's mediocre but better than expected.

3DS doing well and I'm happy about the Animal Crossing sales. Both me and my GF will add 2 digital copies to that number...

btw, are digital sales factored into this number?

5-6m lifetime would actually be pretty disappointing. We should be expecting 8-10 minimum. NSMBWii is 25+ million and NSMB2 is already quite a bit over 5. Five years from now, NSMBWiiU should be sitting real pretty.

2MF

October-December FY 2006-2007 -> Wii managed 3.19 million hardware shipments

October-December FY 2012-2013 -> Wii U managed 3.06 million hardware shipments

And yet they decreased the forecast heavily. They must have gotten some pretty grim sales data to do that. They probably over-shipped.

Czigga

Broke 3 mil by year end, better than I expected. Not a bad attach rate either IMO. Ouch at the cut to 4 mil forecast though. That's a huge drop off

Striek

Are these numbers for Oct-Dec as mentioned in the OP? If so that's shipped, but I thought their reports always gave sold-through figures.

No, they always give shipped. Iwata presents sell-through data after though, usually the next day, for the pixel-counters.

NFreak

Not terrible but not amazing either. 3DS is just, dare I say, hitting its stride??? Wii U forecasts are really low but that's to be expected. Gonna be a tough first half of the year for the Wii U.

Yeah, that's true. The GameCube was amazing because of this, and we all saw what kind of a desolate wasteland of nothing the Wii became once they were content with swimming in Wii Fit money.

I totally disagree with this. Nintendo's output on Wii was arguably better than on the Gamecube. 2 fantastic 3D Mario games, a 2D Mario, 2 Metroids (I liked Other M), 2 Zelda titles, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and the list just goes on. People may prefer Nintendo's Gamecube offerings but they weren't short on the releases on Wii at all.

Thoraxes

Kind of surprised they managed to turn a profit, I guess the Wii U underperformance had me expecting a loss. Christmas 3DS relative success must have helped make up for it?

Didn't Reggie say it just took one game for them to be profitable? Looking at the attach rate, that's totally covered.

First shipments are hardly worth juxtaposing. A new game console sold well in its first few months? Shocking, even if the Wii U didn't exactly sell out. Not to mention Nintendo was facing shortages across the board due to demand for the Wii. They'd have probably sold 2x as many Wiis in that time period if they actually had the units to sell.

Yeah, that's true. The GameCube was amazing because of this, and we all saw what kind of a desolate wasteland of nothing the Wii became once they were content with swimming in Wii Fit money.

True, if this brings back the Nintendo from the GC times that always turned profit although not that amazing then I welcome it.

Edit: Although what NFreak said is also true, the Wii had some amazing exclusives coming from Nintendo, but not from third parties. The partnerships Nintendo is doing to develop games is what's exciting for me on Wii U.

guek

Banned
Nintendo just needs to ride the storm for the next two months because sales are probably going to be bad in Feburary since Rayman is the only release and March should still be a little bad but should pick up.

Bayonetta 2 will save the system, right?

...right?

RIGHT??!!

And yet they decreased the forecast heavily. They must have gotten some pretty grim sales data to do that.

Oh I'm not denying that. More FY forecast slicing can't be good for the share price at all, and the near future looks bleak for the system with practically no release for another month.

I just want a more concrete picture (aka more quarterly reports) before proclaiming a console as "doomed."

ahm998

I think nintendo should make more advertising worldwide.

And release multi game on same time with other consoles to increase software sales.

Most Wanted in March 16 !! , Aliens: Colonial Marines still no release date!!

---------------
One reason from my opinion.

Nintendo Wii U Official price in Middle East :

White :500$

Black:600$

More than 10 friends in Middle east didn't get because of price.

I get it from USA ( with normal price).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Everyone gives shipped numbers in their fiscal reports. Still, tomorrow we'll have actual numbers.

markot

Banned
Deer Nintendo.

Dont rely on third parties during launch 'windows', or think 1 mario game is enough.

Love.

People who are me.

Although I think that it sucks games were delayed, having them all in the next FY will give a bigger YoY boost, probably, than if they were squeezed into this quarter, in a FY that is probably beyond saving.

Reallink

October-December FY 2006-2007 -> Wii managed 3.19 million hardware shipments

October-December FY 2012-2013 -> Wii U managed 3.06 million hardware shipments

Wii could have moved an untold number of units with sufficient supply--possibly up to 10 million in the same time frame. You forget people were still camping shipments like 2 years in?

RM8

DS turned out amazing library-wise and it's the best selling system ever. I say there's no correlation at all.

Raist

Banned
No, they always give shipped. Iwata presents sell-through data after though, usually the next day, for the pixel-counters.

Ah alright, thanks.

So, shipped:

US: 1.32
Japan: 0.83
Europe: 0.9

Sold:
US: 0.89
Japan: 0.64
Europe: Hard to tell, was 0.08 in the UK so maybe something around 0.3 at best.

When I go into the PDF for the report, the number for 4 million units being forecasted for Wii U is listed under the figure for the coming fiscal year starting this April.

jerd

You sure? It does say "Unit Sales" in the OP. Is that misleading? If so it may need to be changed.

guek

Banned
Anyone know when the investor Q&A is? I wanna be around when a disgruntled stock holder demands "satisfaction" from Iwata to which he distractedly sighs, whips out Zelda Wii U, and beats the guy over the head with the case before signaling the projector guy to play a 45 minute in-game trailer/demo. Then suddenly Miyamoto will burst through the ceiling on a dragon and start throwing copies of F-Zero Wii U and FFvsXIII into the crowd.

5-6m lifetime would actually be pretty disappointing. We should be expecting 8-10 minimum. NSMBWii is 25+ million and NSMB2 is already quite a bit over 5. Five years from now, NSMBWiiU should be sitting real pretty.

I generally expect the WiiU to not even come half to the Wii in both hardware and software when all is said and done.

NSMBU has the problem of a minuscule userbase now, and it's not going to grow significantly over the next year. It's sales will depend heavily on WiiUs holiday performances 2013 and 2014.

Thoraxes

They're probably going to try and make more attractive bundles before they try a price drop unless Microsoft and Sony bring out $300-350 consoles.

I always just assumed they were going to get to market first so they can properly time and have room for an attractive price cut when the other systems launch.

Bruno MB

Nintendo 3DS

October - December 2011

Japan - 2.53 million
The Americas - 3.34 million
Other - 2.49 million

Total - 8.36 million

October - December 2012

Japan - 2.95 million
The Americas - 2.59 million
Other - 2.11 million

Total - 7.65 million

Striek

You sure? It does say "Unit Sales" in the OP, is that misleading? If so it may need to be changed.

No, its not misleading, since they're units that Nintendo actually sold, and besides more accurate than any sell-through figures they will get.

im looking at it and it doesn't seem to be that bad right?

If selling significantly less than you expected of most of your products isn't that bad.

Why is the 3DS forecast lower?

Did pretty poorly in the US for the holiday season.

AzaK

4 million Wii Us (down from 5.5)
16 million Wii U software (down from 25).

Ouch.

US: 1.32 million
Japan: .83
Europe: .9

The software one is the one that gets me. Quite a large drop in what they achieved. I wonder if they expected better support and therefore didn't expect to delay as many of their own games, or just that people would buy more of what's on offer? I assume the former because the attach rate is still pretty reasonable given the selection/

"Could be worse" should be the motto here

but I predict "loltendo" for 20 pages

3.8 software attach rate at this point seems pretty damn respectable though.

Remember they count bundled units in there which could be 1.5-2 mill (Assuming most are Delux), so it's closer to 3 I think.

Corporate Management Policy Briefing
Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing

Both announced for tomorrow, probably 10AM.
What's the first one, Iwata resigning? :) Have they had those in the past as I've not heard of it before.

2MF

im looking at it and it doesn't seem to be that bad right?

The shipment numbers were ok, the bad part is that they decreased all the forecasts. They shipped a lot of consoles to retailers, but those retailers probably sold few to gamers, which means they won't order many in this quarter.

In summary, this indicates that they and retailers were too optimistic about the Wii U.

guek

Banned
Goddamnit I cannot WAIT until E3.

eAREcRt.gif

I dislike the "desperate nintendo is best nintendo" chants but I do think nintendo is the most entertaining when they feel they have something to prove

Instro

All the better for WiiU owners I think. It would have been pretty bad if the WiiU was flying off the shelves with its dismal upcoming release list for the next so many months. They have learned pretty quickly that the WiiU will not have an easy time of it, even though they are clearly making money. The machine will have to work for its market.

Top Bottom