• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power ceasing publication

kiryogi

Banned
It finally showed up at work. Picked it up instantly... Flipping thru it right now during lunch. This is just extremely emotional for me. While I didn't start from issue one due to parental preferences, I did eventually become a subscriber sometime in the 90s. Thing is, I was a straight up Nintendo fanboy. So NP was really the gospel of all gaming for me. I forgot when I stopped... I think it was near the end of the 64 era. But I've had just so many fond memories and it was thanks to NP that I discovered great franchises like Harvest Moon. I still remember the RPG corner "Epic Center" too... Which would mold my gaming preferences for the rest of my gaming life. ;-;

Yknow, my biggest memory of NP may be when I would check it out from the school library and transcibe the entire thing by hand onto notebook paper.... Of course that was before I was a subscriber.

Anyway, I'm just going to keep rambling and rambling. But I'm gonna say... That last panel for the Nester comic really hit home. can't believe it. Thank you to everyone past and present, for your efforts on Nintendo Power, it's been an amazing ride.

Marzo

Neo Member
I still have a few issues that my dad had bought me back when I was a lot younger. It's sad to see these guys go.

Johnas

Wow at that cover.

I haven't subscribed for years now, but I will absolutely pick up this last issue. I still have the first issue somewhere around here, as raggedy as it is after countless reads. I constantly went back to older issues and read them cover to cover repeatedly as a kid.

I think it's fair to say I enjoyed NP more than any other gaming magazine.

Props to everybody involved with it, and best of luck in future endeavors.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So they did bring back
Nester
for the last time. All that sadness.

Where's Howard?

Parallacs

I checked on a whim at B&N on Friday and was suprised to see a stack of five. I grabbed two copies because I know some friend will eventually want it bad. I did feel a little bad depleting nearly half the stack though.

I looked through a bit and it looked great. Lots of articles with small bits of information (I am too old to read paragraph style anymore). If I wasn't currently addicted to FTL, I might have time to read it.

Alchemy

What the fuck, I was expecting these to be released on the actual release date of tomorrow. How common is it for magazines to release like this?

Parallacs

What the fuck, I was expecting these to be released on the actual release date of tomorrow. How common is it for magazines to release like this?

Me too, I thought it would start arriving on Tues and was shocked to see it at B&N. I wasn't expecting much since I haven't been able to find the last few issues there.

I would check out Fry's Electronics if you have them. They have a ton of gaming related magazines.

thomasos

Yeah, I have no idea why the issue hit so early. I'm sorry for misleading people with that Dec. 11 date, but that's what we were told.

Alchemy

Yeah, I have no idea why the issue hit so early. I'm sorry for misleading people with that Dec. 11 date, but that's what we were told.

Crisis adverted, I took half my lunch break to run down to Barnes and Nobles and picked up two copies. So happy I didn't miss this. I know its bizarre to so desperately want a magazine that I haven't had an active sub to for years, but that god damn nostalgia is so heavy with this magazine.

Still can't find this anywhere. I'm gonna be so pissed if I can't find it anywhere after being a subscriber since day one and my subscription running out two months ago and Future giving me no options for resubscribing. I've been checking two Targets, a Wal•Mart, and a Barnes and Noble since last week and no one has had it yet. :(

WillyFive

Where were all of you people during the last few years!? The magazine has been great for quite some time! Hah. Jerks.

:(

Yeah. With the exception of the slight transitional period as it switched to Future (circa 2007), Nintendo Power has been consistently a great magazine since it's 2005 redesign.

Alchemy

Where were all of you people during the last few years!? The magazine has been great for quite some time! Hah. Jerks.

My sub dropped when I took off for college, and I've been living like a poor college student since despite having full time work for the last 3 years (straight out of school). Simply never got back on the horse, and it makes me sad. Poster is already hanging on the wall after me and my wife looked it over picking out issues we remembered.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

I stopped reading the magazines after I went to college, I blame online because it was my primary source for news. That and after the future buyout, there were never any good subscription incentives (like a free guide).

pikablu

Went to Target, Walmart, Kroger, and Publix tonight. None of them had any. Walmart was the only place I saw that even carried any Nintendo Power issues. They still had the second to last issue though. I had my mom who works near a B&N check and she didn't see any at all there. I got some of my friend keeping an eye at their walmarts etc. I need this damn issue.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
This just went up today I believe, but if you don't mind paying at least $7.50, you can order it from Future. Just head over to the NintendoPower website and it'll lead you straight there.

Saves me from trekking San Francisco I guess.

Alchemy

This just went up today I believe, but if you don't mind paying at least $7.50, you can order it from Future. Just head over to the NintendoPower website and it'll lead you straight there.

Saves me from trekking San Francisco I guess.

I'm actually tempted to order the subscriber copy so I can have one without the bar code on the front.

Almost forgot to post, but I did a new episode in my news-ish comedic-ish series about the end of NP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAJ0LgHeILM

I only subscribed from around 2003-2007 so I missed the "good" NP but I enjoyed NP alot since I did not have internet to around 2006. I

I bought the next to last issue and plan to get the last issue soon...if my Walmart actually stocks them. They had the next to last issue so theres hope, but yall don't know my walmart lol.

jozero

Neo Member
There is a new movement afoot called 'subcompact publishing'. It is where just the creators, writers and illustrators, get together and publish once or twice a month a 'magazine' with just 4 or 5 articles. The point of this new style magazine isn't to review anything or re-hash the news, instead its to write medium sized article about the craft.

It cost hardly anything to publish to Apple Newstand or Google Play store. The model is to charge $2 a month. You get 7,000 fans in your niche and you can support 2 or 3 people. there is an index, and then straight scrollable pages with the content. As opposed to all the huge traditional magazines shoe-horned onto digital, these ones are small and hyper focused.

I'm hoping at least one group of writers and designers now out of work with all these game magazines closing will try this model.

Craig Mod wrote about subcompact publishing here :
http://craigmod.com/journal/subcompact_publishing/

Marco Arment, co-creator of Tumblr and creator of Instapaper, recently launched a subcompact magazine called The Magazine. Its doing well enough out of the gate that he already hired an editor.

Imagine if Kat Bailey, Jeremy Parish, and Karen Chu got together to do a small magazine around RPGs. Or if some of the gang from Nintendo Power did one. This isn't pie in the sky, it can happen. I hope some of these writers try.

Yeah. With the exception of the slight transitional period as it switched to Future (circa 2007), Nintendo Power has been consistently a great magazine since it's 2005 redesign.
Respek knuckles!
My sub dropped when I took off for college, and I've been living like a poor college student since despite having full time work for the last 3 years (straight out of school). Simply never got back on the horse, and it makes me sad. Poster is already hanging on the wall after me and my wife looked it over picking out issues we remembered.

I stopped reading the magazines after I went to college, I blame online because it was my primary source for news. That and after the future buyout, there were never any good subscription incentives (like a free guide).
Moral: Don't go to college!

main complaint:

THEY DIDN'T SHOW ME ALAN'S FACE

If you must know... DON'T DO IT!

Finally found a copy at a Target like 40 minutes from my house. Glad I didn't miss out on this after being a subscriber since issue #1. Can't wait to read this one cover to cover like I've done so many times over the years.

69C16FB7-975B-4F98-8261-4A3235DBADAC-3797-000004E3A0A048AF.jpg

I'll miss you, Nintendo Power.

donny2112

Glad I didn't miss out on this after being a subscriber since issue #1.

If you had been a subscriber since issue #1, you would've gotten this issue in the mail. ;p

But Alan is a slime. Don't break the illusion!

I wonder how much people are going to sell the entire collection in ebay for...

Whatever someone else is willing to pay.

If you had been a subscriber since issue #1, you would've gotten this issue in the mail. ;p

My subscription ran out in September and they wouldn't let me renew. :p

Whatever, I've got it now. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find it anywhere what with the weird newsstand date and people hoarding all the copies.

Johnas

I found one copy at my local Walmart today and grabbed it.

Very nice issue. Looking at the poster with all the issues on it really makes the whole life of the magazine seem so brief, and I wasn't even a subscriber about 3/4 of the time (I'm old, was a kid when the first one issued, and at some point my mom let my subscription lapse, and general life circumstances made me forget about resubscribing).

Even being disassociated with the magazine for so long, the final comic struck a chord. Pretty poignant.

There was no single magazine that I have consistently subscribed to for years and years, but Nintendo Power was easily the one I enjoyed the most (DHGF second).

Thanks again to anyone reading this that was directly involved with the magazine at any point in its history.

Top Bottom