• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Cover - Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow - Mirror Of Fate (3DS)

I'm so glad they are no longer milking the Metroidvania formula and trying something new. The first screens look amazing for a handheld game and more Castlevania-y than LOS. But is it real 3D? It's hard to tell from the pictures?

Mercury Steam's character designers need to look at real people for a moment though, the proportions are all wrong. I mean look at the tiny head, next thing they'll reveal that the Belmont line are descendants of Bayonetta.

Looks nice from what I've seen, but won't be completely satisfied till I see it in action. Ohh a new Spy Hunter game as well, can't wait to see my issue of NP now.

Yeah, it looks totally nice! It's like a serious effort on par with the first Lords of Shadow, but taking into account the portable dimension of the console.

Holy shit this game looks good.

As in "graphical showpiece for the 3DS" good.

A nice reminder of how powerful our little 3D handheld really is.
It does look nice, but I'm more worried about the framerate. I couldn't even play the other one on consoles due to it. It wasn't unplayable by any means, but all the visual fidelity just feel apart because of it for me.

Great graphics. Mercury Stream has no talent in level design. Great graphics does not make a great game. Sounds like they wanted to make a brawler rather than an action platformer. This is coming from someone who LOVES brawlers. It's like if they suddenly made Super Mario into a brawler. I can understand people wanting to break away from the Metroidvania style, but at least hand it to people with talent and understanding of the franchise.

Jokeropia

Ugh, I'm starting to develop a serious disdain for Mercury Steam. I still want to be excited because it's fucking Castlevania, but it's getting harder and harder. :(

FoneBone

You're linking to scans, which is bannable. Also what does that first link have to do with anything, other than attention whoring for yourself?

The details you gave were "old", thus misleading and no longer true, and the details you kept for yourself were totally true and spot-on.
How convenient ;)
Yeah... wow. Don't forget that he also claimed that an NDA he had expired the same day another site leaked word of the game's existence. Suuuuuuuure.

sfried

Great graphics. Mercury Stream has no talent in level design. Great graphics does not make a great game. Sounds like they wanted to make a brawler rather than an action platformer. This is coming from someone who LOVES brawlers. It's like if they suddenly made Super Mario into a brawler. I can understand people wanting to break away from the Metroidvania style, but at least hand it to people with talent and understanding of the franchise.
I really hoping MercuryStream brushed up on classic 2D Castlevania design fundamentals. They should refer to EgoRaptor's Sequalitis and play Rondo of Blood for several examples of great action platform level design.

sphinx

the piano man
Not sure if this was covered in another thread but G4 put up the first "actual" trailer for the game.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/58815/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-mirror-of-fate-e3-trailer/?quality=hd

The bits of gameplay shown looks pretty good, still need to see it on my 3ds screen to be sure.

don't know what to make out of it. Storywise, it's pretty cool and the art resembles Order of Ecclesia, which is always a plus but I am not convinced by the 2.5 looks and how trevor uses the whip, feels like 2D prince of persia with whip instead of sword/dagger...which isn't in itself bad, but I am not sure I want that as a castlevania...

Top Bottom