• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Power Cover - Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow - Mirror Of Fate (3DS)

Salvadora

This could be potentially good. I need to see higher res images to come to a conclusion, Those at Nintendo Go don't fill me with hope.

Ridley327

Wait, is it 3D or 2.5? It looks 2.5, but people in here are saying 3D as well.

2.5D is technically 3D. :)

The screens appear to have some kind of fixed camera angle going on, so that suggests a 2.5D game with a dynamic but fixed camera system for when it's appropriate.

Dascu

Wait, is it 3D or 2.5? It looks 2.5, but people in here are saying 3D as well.

2.5D but probably with some cinematic camera angles from time to time. I think it looks pretty good. I mean, obviously not as cool as 2D sprites, but solid for what it is.

Famassu

That character design is absolutely horrible, but the game sounds interesting otherwise.

EDIT: Uhh.. Why are people so against this game?

Dascu

A person claiming to be the original leaker, said something that the combat was comparable to that in the 2D Tales of games.

Neiteio

I'm more interested in the proper LoS sequel we'll see on the HD systems, but I love my 3DS and so this interests me as a fan of the first LoS. I'm curious, though, how this lines up with their teaser image and text last issue, when we were given Soviet-sounding lingo ("comrade," etc) and a red image that looked like a stylized map of the USSR.

LeleSocho

Banned
It is Trevor Belmont, not Simon.

the pics look great... I think. I can't really tell.

from go nintendo:

- deep combat mechanics
- involves Trevor Belmont
- Fight with Trevor's version of the Combat Cross
- strong attacks with X
- wider-reaching attacks with Y
- secondary weapons like the boomerang-like glaive and electric bomb
- use these with A
- grab enemies with R
- block and dodge with L
- involves light and shadow magic returns
- earn experience points to unlock new combos
- these include launching foes into the air, smashing enemies down to the ground and more
- includes skeletons, axe-wielding undead and more

WHAT IS THIS CRAP?

good lord please do not become the next standard Castlevania

Like so much Bloody Tears... :lol

Bloody man child bitter fan tears. Definitely more interested in this than had it been another SOTN type.

That's not to say that I'm already championing this game. I want to see more of it. But I'm not declaring the hate and that the franchise is dead just yet either.

NateDrake

Game looks terrible. Honestly, I'm not even going to give it a chance. I mean, most of us probably aren't, but I'm actually admitting it. I'm probably not missing out on anything.

Yes, let's base it all upon two little images instead of waiting 2 more days for Konami's conference & seeing it in motion & decide then. It isn't an Iga Castlevania game, but it doesn't look awful. I want to see the footage from Konami's E3 showing & then decide.

Zornica

Banned
It is Trevor Belmont, not Simon.

the pics look great... I think. I can't really tell.

from go nintendo:

- deep combat mechanics
- strong attacks with X
- use these with A
- grab enemies with R
- block and dodge with L
- these include launching foes into the air, smashing enemies down to the ground and more
vader.jpg

There aren't enough curses to describe how much I hate comboquicktime fighting shit in video games. And now one of my favorit 2d games is the new victim.
I am out, dammit

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yes, let's base it all upon two little images instead of waiting 2 more days for Konami's conference & seeing it in motion & decide then. It isn't an Iga Castlevania game, but it doesn't look awful.

It definitely looks awful.

And the bullet points confirm it.

Please, wait for Konami's conference to confirm for yourself.

Teknoman

WHAT IS THIS CRAP?

good lord please do not become the next standard Castlevania

Hype from DRAMATIC to zero. Ehh.

So what if it has that type of combat system, but really good 2D platforming, and a great soundtrack. That is definitely possible.

Honestly i'm hyped since i've seen it done with Viewtiful Joe, and although this isnt Clover or even Capcom related, I dont see why the game couldnt have a detailed combat system + cool 2D platforming with a 2.5D viewpoint that shifts perspective ala Viewtiful Joe.

I'm more interested in the proper LoS sequel we'll see on the HD systems, but I love my 3DS and so this interests me as a fan of the first LoS. I'm curious, though, how this lines up with their teaser image and text last issue, when we were given Soviet-sounding lingo ("comrade," etc) and a red image that looked like a stylized map of the USSR.

Could be the map screen for the game?

Go Nintendo said:
- deep combat mechanics
- strong attacks with X
- use these with A
- grab enemies with R
- block and dodge with L

1BcdT.gif

pakkit

Banned
Think of this less as classic Castlevania, and more as a handheld version of Mercurysteam's Lord of Shadows franchise.

Dascu

Yeah, the combat sounds awful and very much unlike Classicvania. But oh well, was to be expected. I just wish MercurySteam and David Cox wouldn't refer to SCV4 as an inspiration, since it clearly isn't outside of a superficial look.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So what if it has that type of combat system, but really good 2D platforming, and a great soundtrack. That is definitely possible.

You don't really believe any of that is going to happen, do you?

For a 3DS game I'm willing to lay down my cards on it actually looking pretty good, visually.

From a technical standpoint, it looks alright. But I'm getting a serious Griptonite Shinobi vibe, and that is not a good thing.

I never thought I'd see the day people complaining over a fleshed out combat system, as opposed to mashing one button and watching fodder crumble. *insertfacepalmgifhere*

Screw the haters...lets get it...pumped!!!

Dascu

From a technical standpoint, it looks alright. But I'm getting a serious Griptonite Shinobi vibe, and that is not a good thing.

This already looks a ton better than Shinobi 3DS.

I never thought I'd see the day people complaining over a fleshed out combat system, as opposed to mashing one button and watching fodder crumble. *insertfacepalmgifhere*!
I was hoping for gameplay similar to the old games, is all.

NeoUltima

I'm curious to see where this fits into the LoS story.

Do we know who is developing this? I can't imagine MercurySteam is making both games (3DS and Console).

Ridley327

I'm curious to see where this fits into the LoS story.

Do we know who is developing this? I can't imagine MercurySteam is making both games (3DS and Console).

It's confirmed that Mercury Steam is working on this themselves. I imagine that LoS2 isn't coming out until early next year, so that should be more than enough time to do both games.

NateDrake

You don't really believe any of that is going to happen, do you?

People who played that Shinobi said it was pretty damn good & the Castlevania images look way better than that game ever did.

BD1

Banned
Castlevania is dead, Long Live Castlevania

Interested in this one, looking forward to seeing it in action at E3.

TreIII

I never thought I'd see the day people complaining over a fleshed out combat system, as opposed to mashing one button and watching fodder crumble. *insertfacepalmgifhere*

Screw the haters...lets get it...pumped!!!

Yeah, this.

I mean, God only knows if it's actually as good in practice as it is on paper, but I wouldn't mind at all if this actually has decent combat variety. Would certainly speak to me more than just mashing buttons and hunting for various weapons, where most do the same thing, just with a nice fire/ice/etc. attribute attached.

hatchx

Banned
Sometimes I think the developers of Epic Mickey 3DS are the only ones who get it.

2D and handheld is a great marriage. Save your development time/costs and give us 2D games.

I'll give this title the benefit of the doubt, but I still want a proper 2D Castlevania.

Skilletor

Wow, people dismissing a game based off of two screenshots and information that actually sounds good.

lol.

Will wait for gameplay, but this sounds cool. I'm hoping for awesome platforming.

zroid

Banned
I kind of like the 2.5D art, but I really don't know about this game apart from that. Also the weird diagonal plane movement seems like a cheap and unexciting way to take advantage of the 3D effect.

Top Bottom