• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President Publishes Plans for 2016 in JP Newspaper

I don't think he would mention that NX is coming out in 2016 even if it is. They want to unveil it their way, not in an interview like this.

I still think one of the versions of the NX is coming fall 2016. Even if just the handheld with the console coming in 2017 (or the other way around).

It's time for new hardware and they know it.

Fandangox

But can they beat the GOAT Nintendo show?

Tv3QiUB.gif

I just want to go home, Eddy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fire Emblem strikes me as the most straightforward fit for a Nintendo anime.

The style of the recent games fits right in with modern anime tastes, all the characters talk including the protagonists so there isn't an obvious schism between the games and the show, and it's already a popular brand in Japan.

Kid Icarus stylistically is a straightforward fit, but I'm not sure if the premise is a highly conducive.

Obviously things like Mario and Zelda are large IPs, but they have a notably less obvious setup for conversion.

I don't think something like The Wonderful 101 is relevant enough to make into an anime.

Splatoon is kind of a funny one. I could see a very kids oriented anime out of that. The implementation requires taking some creative license, so it depends how comfortable Nintendo is with that.

We expect the NX to be out this year due to (a) less patience and tolerance for last-year-of-console droughts amongst gamers in general, and (b) significantly dwindling Wii U and 3DS sales depending on the market with fewer games coming up, as well as (c) Kimi-chan's focus on NX in his end of year letter. And (d) other stuff I'm forgetting. Oh. The Dragon Quest announcement for NX. The mysterious lack of Zelda info. The mysterious Pikmin 4 namedrop. No upcoming Retro or EAD info revealed.

Few people will be sad, and those sad have a lot of great games to play so they'll be okay. This always happens when people get consoles near the end of their market run.

It was actually delayed.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/29/7936365/mario-maker-wii-u-2015-nintendo

In January 2015 they moved it from H1 2015 to 2015 in general.

http://www.slashgear.com/mario-maker-delayed-will-drop-in-september-01376865/

In April 2015 they moved it to September. :)

Iwata also expected to turn around the dedicated gaming business by the end of next FY (March 2017), which may or may not actually happen, but doesn't make sense even as a goal without new hardware.

AdanVC

That would make E3 2015 look significantly worse. I still think despite mainly only announcing NX to offset worries when they announced the smartphone games was...a bit of messy timing. But I suppose it couldn't be helped. I sure hope we get NX this year. It seems like now or never to capitalize on the NX hype and momentum. Gamers are fickle and excitement will wane and the hype will turn to discontent in part if NX doesn't come out this year.

image.php

Adan bro you always do this haha.
7022a273e44a3fb279fb736cd6138d96.png

No reason to freak out just yet!

Hahah yeah guess I need to calm down. We're 15 days in 2016, plenty of time left.

If its more Mario, Zelda etc, then Nintendo the masses ain't interested.

Fan service is what has brought Nintendo to the position they are in now in the home market, a slowly dwindling fan base.

Unless they try to legitimately compete in the market to attract the people who have made the PS4, 360 etc a success they won't do the numbers.

deleted

Maybe NX IS next year. Would be a pretty bad idea imo, but it's not like Nintendo consoles are known to be on time.

I think the positive take away is that NX is going to be a major part of Mr. Kimishima's 2016 plans, or else he wouldn't have taken the time to mention it in this context.

The question I have is how much business/managerial strength Nintendo has to both launch a new hardware generation and at the same time open up theme park attractions, release games on mobile hardware, maintain video content from IPs and creating licensing deals. In the past Nintendo has generally focused on one or two of these, but never has it undergone such a dramatic change to its core business model.

Nintendo isn't going to announce that NX is releasing this year in a newspaper article. His comments really mean nothing for the system's launch timing . He's literally reiterating what they've been telling us since last year.

jonno394

A 2017 launch for NX makes sense if we see anime and loads more licensed stuff from summer onwards and view it as Nintendo trying to get a new/expanded audience prepared for the launch in summer 2017.

Banned
Anime of Zelda, Xenoblade, fire emblem and Metroid would be bad ass.

But this new idea and surprising with NX scares me. It smells like cheap gimmick all over again. But insiders are saying it's awesome.

Vena

Boy this article started up some strange discussions again. How could this minor newspaper interview dare to not reveal the NX for this year!?

jnWake

Kid Icarus stylistically is a straightforward fit, but I'm not sure if the premise is a highly conducive..

Well, Uprising has at least 4 different factions that are at "war" (Palutena, Hades, Viridi and Aliens, not counting the humans of course), so there's definitely material to write a season or two. There are many characters with quite defined personalities and interests, so there's material for interesting conversations and funny moments. Besides, there are also many other elements from Greek mythology that could be explored if they want more material.

I think it could work!

Aranjah

Seems like a lot of smart phone talk. Sounds healthy for business, but I hope they don't lean too hard.

As someone with a Windows Phone, I also hope they don't go too hard into mobile (unless they actually support WP, too, but they won't. No one does. ;_; )
(Still waiting for that mobile authenticator you keep hounding me about to be available for my phone, Valve.)

I'd like to be able to at least give Pokemon Go an honest chance before I declare it mobile-casual shite. ;)

Notice he didn't say, or imply that what this idea is doesn't suggest or hint at a new control scheme. Which was pretty obvious when Iwata commented on the Wii and WiiU, before it was unveiled.

Top Bottom