• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q4 FYE 3/15 Results - Beats Market Expectations, FY15 Guidance Announced

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros. will still be system sellers for the systems once they can get a cheaper WiiU out for sub 200€/$. Think we will have a revised WiiU for this fall.

deleted

Hey, that's not too bad!

Good to see MK8 and Smash trucking along. It will be interesting to see if they continue refining Mario Kart with further DLC like the much requested Battle Mode DLC and if Smash will continue selling similarly to MK based on the DLC.

On next years hardware predictions:
I can see the Wii U selling based on Splatoon, Starfox, Xenoblade, Yoshi and Zelda. They could all attract a different crowd not yet owning a Wii U. What would help them massively though is a price cut for this thing. XBO is coming closer in prize every second now.
And while Nintendo has done a nice job to carve out a nice software niche with this thing, a price cut would most likely do wonders for the titles to come not named Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

I can also see them releasing a new Animal Crossing this year that will finally look different and maybe they even have an Amiibo title in the pipeline that will make use of every Amiibo out and coming like Skylanders or Disney Infinity? It would only help Amiibo as a brand...

jariw

I don't know where that quote would be, but I definitely remember him saying that, too. Still, "limited" resources are resources. If they can afford it without hindering future (potentially more successful) systems, I'm sure they'll continue supporting Mario Kart 8, considering it's the system's best selling game.

It was Miyamoto who mentioned the required resources for the DLC during the October 2014 Q&A (during the quarterly investors meeting), where they discussed Nintendo's DLC strategy. I'd say that there is nothing pointing towards more DLC content for Mario Kart 8.

JoeM86

On next years hardware predictions:
I can see the Wii U selling based on Splatoon, Starfox, Xenoblade, Yoshi and Zelda. They could all attract a different crowd not yet owning a Wii U. What would help them massively though is a price cut for this thing. XBO is coming closer in prize every second now.
And while Nintendo has done a nice job to carve out a nice software niche with this thing, a price cut would most likely do wonders for the titles to come not named Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

Question is if they can do a price cut without causing themselves to fall back into loss.

Sales for the sake of sales mean nothing if they can't get the money back

3DS forecast seems reasonable to me. Disappointing, but fair given today's market.
Wii U forecast makes me think they got something up their sleeve for E3. Nintendo does like to surprise us after all.

random25

^^

fy2QZkP.jpg

Didn't know 3D World got up to 4 million. It hasn't been bundled that much right?
After opening at like 100k in JP and 250k(?) in NPD, it's not as horrible.

4M for 3D World is pretty good, all things considered (slow launch sales, not driving much new/current Wii U user base to buy the game). It sure is a slow burner.

LOCK

Noticeable things in the report:

Inventory in million yen
2014: 160,801
2015: 76, 897

Employees
2014: 5213
2015: 5120

2015 marks a return to a normal inventory level, and first year in many that the employee count decreased.

Adachi

Banned
They should just get out of the hardware business they are horrible at it, that or revamp the whole thing so it can be profitable even with selling low numbers.

Software is their strong suit and it's being weighed down by their hardware.

JoeM86

They should just get out of the hardware business they are horrible at it, that or revamp the whole thing so it can be profitable even with selling low numbers.

You do realise they're at a profit, right?

I'm also amused that, just because one home console was a miss, they're "horrible" at it. Let's just ignore that last gen they revolutionised that and their handheld is still selling fairly well, especially in the face of the mobile market

Noticeable things in the report:

Inventory in million yen
2014: 160,801
2015: 76, 897

Employees
2014: 5213
2015: 5120

2015 marks a return to a normal inventory level, and first year in many that the employee count decreased.

Didn't they fire some people in the EU? But are still actively hiring in Japan and NA?

So are there numbers for bayo and kirby rainbow curse? leaked first month US number was like 50k from memory for kirby

Didn't they fire some people in the EU? But are still actively hiring in Japan and NA?

Yes fired some workers and contractors in Germany, and Closed down Taiwan branch

Sticker Star and Word of Mouth must have really affected Dream Team's sales. It's not even near BiS I believe. Wonder what their RPG strategy will be from here on out.

Bowser's Inside Story was more an anomaly than a rule. It sold 656.700 units in December and North America alone, according to NPD. Dream Team Bros. is in line with the other entries.

AniHawk

they make hundreds of millions of dollars from their hardware that funds the software they make and offers them the creative freedom to take risks on said software. axing hardware wholesale is a really shortsighted move.

Well we can definitely see who actually read the OP.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Going by Q3 and Q4 results, and comparing them.

3DS

Pokémon ORAS Q4: 590,000
Super Smash Bros 3DS Q4: 560,000
Tomodachi Life Q4: 190,000
Pokémon XY Q4: 150,000
New Super Mario Bros. 2 Q4: 150,000
Animal Crossing: New Leaf Q4: 210,000
Kirby: Triple Deluxe Q4: 80,000

Wii U

Super Smash Bros Wii U Q4: 260,000
Mario Kart 8 Q4: 340,000
Super Mario 3D World Q4: 310,000
Nintendo Land Q4: 240,000

Mory Dunz

Bowser's Inside Story was more an anomaly than a rule. It sold 656.700 units in December and North America alone, according to NPD. Dream Team Bros. is in line with the other entries.

I guess I was curious if Bowser's Inside Story would cause the series fanbase to grow or not.

Probably can't say for sure until a M&L game comes out -not- ~6 months after a Paper Mario game.

So where does Hyrule Warriors fall under? Third or First Party? I know it showed up on TK's Financial Report but considering it is the Zelda IP after all I thought it'd show up on Nintendo's as well for "Million Sellers."

Mory Dunz

Going by Q3 and Q4 results, and comparing them.

3DS

Pokémon ORAS Q4: 590,000
Super Smash Bros 3DS Q4: 560,000
Tomodachi Life Q4: 190,000
Pokémon XY Q4: 150,000
New Super Mario Bros. 2 Q4: 150,000
Animal Crossing: New Leaf Q4: 210,000
Kirby: Triple Deluxe Q4: 80,000

Wii U

Super Smash Bros Wii U Q4: 260,000
Mario Kart 8 Q4: 340,000
Super Mario 3D World Q4: 310,000
Nintendo Land Q4: 240,000

Wow, I'm surprised by several of these.

Tomodachi outselling Pokemon in Q4? Wonder if that's due to Europe. It still seems to regularly chart well there.

Where's 3DL? Is it below 80k or just not included?

I'm aware of that, but then again take note that at the end of Q3 the 3DS numbers is sitting at around 7.08M, almost 2M behind the forecast. And Q4 of previous years weren't really a good indication of selling around 2M units, hence the justified skepticism of the revised forecast still too high.

Last years Q4 was abnormally weak for 3DS because of massive overshipment during holiday season. this year they didn't overship during Q3 + New 3DS launch in west and it really wasn't that big surprise to me that they almost hit the (revised) forecast.

JoeM86

So where does Hyrule Warriors fall under? Third or First Party? I know it showed up on TK's Financial Report but considering it is the Zelda IP after all I thought it'd show up on Nintendo's as well for "Million Sellers."

Both.

It solve more than 1 million, but Nintendo alone (so the west) it probably sold less

Wow, I'm surprised by several of these.

Tomodachi outselling Pokemon in Q4? Wonder if that's due to Europe. It still seems to regularly chart well there.

Where's 3DL? Is it below 80k or just not included?

Erm. Pokémon ORAS sold three times what Tomodachi Life did in Q4...

LOCK

The Wii U's software sales are horrible in Japan, while the 3DS overall is underperforming in Europe ( in comparison to the WW split seen last generation).

I wonder how Nintendo will tackle this, especially Japan and the Wii U.

FY14 shipments:

WiiU: 3.35 million
Vita/PSP: 3.3 million

Dat fierce battle. WiiU ships a lot more during holiday seasons but PSP/Vita ship more during normal quarters. (This Q4: Vita/PSP: 450k, WiiU 350k)

Adachi

Banned
You do realise they're at a profit, right?

I'm also amused that, just because one home console was a miss, they're "horrible" at it. Let's just ignore that last gen they revolutionised that and their handheld is still selling fairly well, especially in the face of the mobile market

Their business overall for this year is at a profit (this quarter on its own they actually lost money) and that can probably be mainly attributed to Amiibo and things like Pokemon, the Wii U is still having a negative impact on their financials.

And to say that ONE home console was a miss has got to be the biggest piece of revisionist history ever, Nintendo home consoles have been on a clear downward trend since the mid-late 90s, to just take the Wii as a reason for why they should stick with hardware is pretty shortsighted. The Wii is not something that can just be repeated, it was a hugely risky gamble that paid off, they tried doing it again with the Wii U and failed, who's to say that they'll ever succeed with such a gamble again?

Also, yes their handheld is still selling fairly well at the moment, but that's ignoring that it is still looking to be their worst selling handheld (except the Virtual Boy) and that the market for dedicated handheld gaming is going to further shrink in the next couple years thanks to the growing mobile/tablet market.

So you tell me why Nintendo should stick with these extremely risky ventures into hardware when they can just put their software on other systems. "Maybe they'll hit the jackpot again" is a horrible reason imo.

deleted

Question is if they can do a price cut without causing themselves to fall back into loss.

Sales for the sake of sales mean nothing if they can't get the money back

Sure, but we are in year 3 of the hardware life cycle. I can't believe they didn't plan the hardware to be able to take a price cut at this point in time.

Even with the selling problems they have now and starting selling the hardware at a loss, they should have recovered enough to go down at least a little bit.
199$ with Nintendoland and NSMBU included would help a lot when they try to establish a new IP like Splatoon.

JoeM86

Their business overall for this year is at a profit (this quarter on its own they actually lost money) and that can probably be mainly attributed to Amiibo and things like Pokemon, the Wii U is still having a negative impact on their financials.

And to say that ONE home console was a miss has got to be the biggest piece of revisionist history ever, Nintendo home consoles have been on a clear downward trend since the mid-late 90s, to just take the Wii as a reason for why they should stick with hardware is pretty shortsighted. The Wii is not something that can just be repeated, it was a hugely risky gamble that paid off, they tried doing it again with the Wii U and failed, who's to say that they'll ever succeed with such a gamble again?

Also, yes their handheld is stilling fairly well at the moment, but that's ignoring that it is still looking to be their worst selling handheld (except the Virtual Boy) and that the market for dedicated handheld gaming is going to further shrink in the next couple years thanks to the growing mobile/tablet market.

So you tell me why Nintendo should stick with these extremely risky ventures into hardware when they can just put their software on other systems. "Maybe they'll hit the jackpot again" is a horrible reason imo.

Because of reasons that have been explained on scores of occasions. The hardware pays for the software development. Without the hardware, the amount of software will drop and we'll end up with annual Mario and ridiculous downsizing.

The hardware is profitable, Nintendo are at a profit. You'd think this sort of ridiculous statement would be over now that they have bounced back.

Also, who's to say that they won't succeed with a new gimmick?

Adachi

Banned
they make hundreds of millions of dollars from their hardware that funds the software they make and offers them the creative freedom to take risks on said software. axing hardware wholesale is a really shortsighted move.

"Wii U consoles will probably return to losing money and 3DS earnings will fall next fiscal year, Haruka Mori, a Tokyo-based analyst at JPMorgan & Chase Co., wrote in a Jan. 21 report. Recovery probably won’t begin until the year ending March 2017, Mori wrote, citing a comment by Nintendo management."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...utlook-disappoints-and-mario-can-t-save-wii-u

E-phonk

Banned

Because - and there is a great thread on GAF somewhere about it - nintendo doesn't actually make a loss on it's hardware in general. So even when their platforms don't dominate sales wise, the profits they make on hardware, the license fees they get, the license fees they don't have to pay to other platform holders and the fact that designing hardware is a huge part of what makes nintendo nintendo - all adds up.

It's not just about amount of sales, it's about creating a platform where their own software gets the best possible way to thrive.

Imo the next thing they should do, is create their own software-based platform in mobile. I've said this before, but with a dedicated app that is comparable with battle.net on PC, they could create their own (software based) platform on mobile. It should be the hub to all their other mobile (and handheld/console) software.

Asd202

"Wii U consoles will probably return to losing money and 3DS earnings will fall next fiscal year, Haruka Mori, a Tokyo-based analyst at JPMorgan & Chase Co., wrote in a Jan. 21 report. Recovery probably won’t begin until the year ending March 2017, Mori wrote, citing a comment by Nintendo management."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...utlook-disappoints-and-mario-can-t-save-wii-u

I agree with the guy. they will probably revise their forecast for 3DS seems too high for me.

Where PSP come from? Honest question.

Sony started to combine numbers when they noticed that Vita was flopping badly. Back then PSP still shipped some millions a year so it made numbers look better. I really doubt that nowadays it accounts more than 400k at most of yearly sales. It's pretty weird that they have still kept producing them while discontinuing PS2.

E-phonk

Banned
I agree with the guy. they will probably revise their forecast for 3DS seems too high for me.

So you agree they should stop making consoles and handhelds. Even though 3DS for example is at 60m units sold.
Seemed to work well for sega, hudson, SNK and all other ex-platform owners.

VLQ

Sony started to combine numbers when they noticed that Vita was flopping badly. Back then PSP still shipped some millions a year so it made numbers look better. I really doubt that nowadays it accounts more than 400k at most of yearly sales. It's pretty weird that they have still kept producing them while discontinuing PS2.

psp still sells great in markets like Russia

AniHawk

that's not exactly a strong argument to slash an entire department that brings them in hundreds of millions of dollars to fund future projects.

it's kind of crazy how they have never once managed to match their hardware estimates post-launch for any of their current hardware post-launch. 3DS is in free-fall and Wii U is already dead, it's pretty grim for their long-term prospects in the hardware market, it'll be interesting to see how whatever they have next performs.

Kinda surprised to see the lack of info on Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, or Tropical Freeze (did that ever break 1 million?). I know Hyrule Warriors recently broke 1 million world wide and it would have been nice to know how Bayo 2 did exactly. Not sure what's the deciding factor in what's presented in quarterly updates, but I'm glad to see Nintendo doing well!

Adachi

Banned
Because of reasons that have been explained on scores of occasions. The hardware pays for the software development. Without the hardware, the amount of software will drop and we'll end up with annual Mario and ridiculous downsizing.

The hardware is profitable, Nintendo are at a profit. You'd think this sort of ridiculous statement would be over now that they have bounced back.

Also, who's to say that they won't succeed with a new gimmick?

The Wii U is not profitable, it isn't paying for shit and in a couple of years their handhelds will most likely not be profitable anymore either. Why the hell do you think investors were so ecstatic about Nintendo going into mobile gaming?

Software is and has always been the money maker in gaming, you'd think this would be known by now, so to assume that Nintendo game output would suffer because of the change to being a 3rd party dev does not make any sense.

JoeM86

The Wii U is not profitable, it isn't paying for shit and in a couple of years their handhelds will most likely not be profitable anymore either. Why the hell do you think investors were so ecstatic about Nintendo going into mobile gaming?

Software is and has always been the money maker in gaming, you'd think this would be known by now, so to assume that Nintendo game output would suffer because of the change to being a 3rd party dev does not make any sense.

That doesn't say the Wii U is not profitable. It's just analysts stating their beliefs, some of which have been proven erroneous already.

Investors are ecstatic about Nintendo going into mobile gaming because investors erroneously believe it's easy money and they want short term stuff.

You are really misinformed if you truly believe that hardware isn't the reason Nintendo can do their software. All you're doing is looking at sales numbers and that they're lower and determining it means it's not profitable. Is the Wii U a success? No. I don't believe anyone would say that, but to recommend Nintendo scrap hardware altogether, essentially downsizing, is the most ridiculous statement that seems to persist here on GAF.

Eolz

I really don't think you understand how their business (and other pubs) works. It'd more risky to do titles not selling well without hardware profits to fall back on.

Oh and the WiiU is profitable since last year. Probably not by much though.

Top Bottom