• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q4 FYE 3/15 Results - Beats Market Expectations, FY15 Guidance Announced

sörine

Banned
Mathematically speaking if Nintendo had to pay Sony / MS / Steam even 30 % of the sales....then the game would have to sell 30 % more to compensate.

So the question is, would Mk8 sell 30 % more being on other platforms.

Its not going to happen I agree, but commercially its easy numbers. No I am not port begging, don't give a damn about MK series, preferred excite truck.
This only accounts for licensing take and revenue. You also have to factor in additional R&D costs.

2thepoint

This kinda proves Nintendo didn't need third parties or high sales to make a healthy profit.

They have a solid business model as long as they can create solid first party titles, but we've known this since the N64 era.

I don't think counting your software release schedule for the year on two hands is a ''solid business model''.

I think even Reggie and Iwata would love to be able to say that major third parties like Battlefield/Battlefront, Destiny, Batman: Arkham Knight, Rainbow Six Siege, The Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, Metal Gear Solid V, Rock Band 4, and the many, many others are available on Wii U.

Which can only be said if we travel through a black hole to another dimension.

Adachi

Banned
Unless you think the game has costs well above $100 mio. (I assume the revenue is at list $20-25 per copy - Nintendo being publisher, developer and platform holder) I don't see how it isn't profitable. Now calculate how many copies should they sell on PS4 to achieve the same profit.
I was being sarcastic, of course MK8 was way more than just profitable at 5 million, it made a ton of money.

Potential? Higher than for the 1st party titles on those platforms? What is the biggest seller (non-bundled) 1st party game on those platforms?
Why are you trying to reduce this to first party? Nintendo would be third party and could sell on all platforms.

And I don't think MK8 was ever $15 (and this another advantage of being 1st party - bigger prices for 1st party software).

And I really don't think you get what I mean, I meant that through sales Nintendo could at a later point in the games life reach a way larger audience than on only the Wii U, cause no matter how cheap they make MK8 the limiting factor for its sales potential is still the very lackluster Wii U installbase.

noshten

Mathematically speaking if Nintendo had to pay Sony / MS / Steam even 30 % of the sales....then the game would have to sell 30 % more to compensate.

So the question is, would Mk8 sell 30 % more being on other platforms. If MK would sell 10 million on all platforms, then the splitting of profit is irrelevant in monetary terms. Political and strategic is another story.

The interesting thing about the back to profits is there is no mention of Amiibo, which was probably a big contributor to profits.

The point of MK8 and other flagship titles is to get people to purchase their platform and possibly purchase more software on said platform.

If 5 million people bought a Wii U to play mainly MK8 that's inherently much more financially important than if they sold 20 million copies of MK8 on 3 different platforms which they do not own or control the market place on.

DieH@rd

Banned
WiiU and 3DS sales are IMO very low. Looking at WiiU game release schedule, I can't see it becoming any better this year.

JoeM86

I don't think counting your software release schedule for the year on two hands is a ''solid business model''.

Really? Are we really going there?

Between 3DS and Wii U, Nintendo has developed or published far more than 10 titles in the last 12 months. Far more.

The "Nintendo can't support two platforms" stuff is completely bogus. They put out more first party content on either of their devices than MS and Sony do in a year.

WiiU and 3DS sales are IMO very low. Looking at WiiU game release schedule, I can't see it becoming any better this year.

People said the same last year, and the year before. Funnily enough, in less than 6 weeks there's this thing where developers show off new games for the next year :p

lefantome

The last FY was the best Nintendo could reasonably do for a while:

* Launch of new titles of the two biggest home console franchises they have: Mario Kart and Smash Bros
* Release of a remake of their biggest handheld franchise: Pokemon
* New 3DS model
* Amiibo launch.

They fired almost all their guns.

To top that they probably have to launch a new hardware or have an instant global success on mobile.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Between 3DS and Wii U, Nintendo has developed or published far more than 10 titles in the last 12 months. Far more.

The "Nintendo can't support two platforms" stuff is completely bogus. They put out more first party content on either of their devices than MS and Sony do in a year.

They don't have to, third party fill the gap but for Nintendo the situation is different.

Adachi

Banned
You should also consider the increase development costs for developing for different configuration and for different requirements. Nobody would buy a 720p Nintendo game on other platforms. And while some of the assets are visibly made at higher resolution, there also a lot of lower textures and simple geometry. Upgrading those to fit the requirements only adds to the development costs.

While I would like Nintendo to have a PC market of their own, it's a different thing altogether to develop for scalable configurations instead of fixed ones. Maybe the new framework will help somehow in that area.

If the developers of Yooka-Layle are able to release their game simultaneously on PC and all current game consoles with only a budget of 1 million pounds then I think Nintendo will be able to manage, most of Nintendos games thrive more on artstyle than on horsepower anyway.

I think even Reggie and Iwata would love to be able to say that major third parties like Battlefield/Battlefront, Destiny, Batman: Arkham Knight, Rainbow Six Siege, The Witcher 3, Just Cause 3, Metal Gear Solid V, Rock Band 4, and the many, many others are available on Wii U.

Which can only be said if we travel through a black hole to another dimension.

Yeah, they would sure do like to say it.

But now think for a second.
What would they have to do to achieve this?

If they had a system that is autonomous, that doesn't need the third party support, that can generate money without them, wouldn't they be happy too?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Gran Turismo

Source for Gran Turismo sales on PS4?

If the developers of Yooka-Layle are able to release their game simultaneously on PC and all current game consoles with only a budget of 1 million pounds then I think Nintendo will be able to manage, most of Nintendos games thrive more on artstyle than on horsepower anyway.

Are you just comparing a £10 game with a $60 game now?

Adachi

Banned
The point of MK8 and other flagship titles is to get people to purchase their platform and possibly purchase more software on said platform.

If 5 million people bought a Wii U to play mainly MK8 that's inherently much more financially important than if they sold 20 million copies of MK8 on 3 different platforms which they do not own or control the market place on.

Considering that most software that is purchased on Wii U is first party I'd say that it doesn't make much of a difference, they still get moeny if they sell those first party games on other platforms.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I agree with you 100% imagine how many units mario would move being bundled with a ps4. what some people don't realize is nintendo has a chance to be a huge on XB1/ps4 maybe cod or GTA huge.

I mean, Bomberman Zero would have moved a ton of units bundled with a PS4. This means nothing.

Adachi

Banned
1. Not on ps4/xboxone or PC
2. Hey look, a first party title!

Oh lol, yeah true, didn't pay attention to the current gen part.

Just wanted to answer his, quite frankly completely pointless question, what does it freaking matter if no racing game has sold that on those platforms yet?

E-phonk

Banned
I'd say that it doesn't make much of a difference
Indeed. And we say you're wrong.

They day nintendo leaves hardware is the day nintendo is really doomed. And arguably the video game industry as a whole would be worse off.

Just wanted to answer his, quite frankly completely pointless question, what does it freaking matter if no racing game has sold that on those platforms yet?

It shows that Nintendo as a platform owner is part of the reason why Mario Kart became such a big success in the first place. Mario Kart needs nintendo hardware in the same way as nintendo hardware needs a mario kart game. There is a synergy that they wouldn't have on another platform.

2thepoint

Really? Are we really going there?

People said the same last year, and the year before. Funnily enough, in less than 6 weeks there's this thing where developers show off new games for the next year :p

No, what I mean is that I believe the best system for their next gen console would be to have it as a home console / portable hybrid ala fusion rumors, and it would increase the software library through sharing.

Celine

And purchasing additional software on a Nintendo console most of the time mean purchasing more Nintendo games.
They also have bigger visibility compared to a simple third-party publisher.
Without speaking of the higher margin peripheral markets.

WiiU sales are horrible and thus impact negatively software sales potential but it doesn't mean that because the WiiU is a flop that the next Nintendo system will follow the same route.

Considering that most software that is purchased on Wii U is first party I'd say that it doesn't make much of a difference, they still get moeny if they sell those first party games on other platforms.
Said SNK CEO.

Remind me again why begging for Nintendo games on other platforms isn't portbegging and otherwise bannable on NeoGAF again?

probably cause nintendo console the wiiu is selling like shit, and from nintendo own mouth, they are not in this busniess to only sell 20 million consoles. nintendo next console could be a bigger flop, but who knows?

Atram

and what about that GT is first Party? wouldn´t it be better to release it on all Platforms?

probably cause nintendo console the wiiu is selling like shit, and from nintendo own mouth, they are not in this busniess to only sell 20 million consoles. nintendo next console could be a bigger flop, but who knows?

You're aware that they still have a handheld selling over 50M units ? Port begging makes no sense in that case, that kind of talk makes sense if or once their hardware base falls far below that.

Neoxon

So Rhythm Heaven: The Best + was stealth announced for the West. I expected it, but it's nice to have confirmation.

So can we expect news for it at E3?

geordiemp

Remind me again why begging for Nintendo games on other platforms isn't portbegging and otherwise bannable on NeoGAF again?

Who is port begging ? Nintendo announced they are going third party on some stuff, and you want us not to discuss third party. Stop trying to be a backseat mod.

If a console does not sell well at all, And that console manufacturer is already going third party on mobile / touchpad (read everyone), then its fair game to talk about the commercial pros and cons of third party on other platforms.

Personally I find Nintendo very interesting from a market standpoint, the decisions commercially are a good read as is the discussion on them branching out from their core platforms.

No other company is so hard to read, with Sony and MS its fairly straight forward, Nintendo is a cloud of mystery with NX, QOL ...things nobody has a clue about.

Gran Turismo

05d.jpg

You're aware that they still have a handheld selling over 50M units ? Port begging makes no sense in that case, that kind of talk makes sense if or once their hardware base falls far below that.

I think people are talking about them going thirdparty on consoles. the handheld market is totally different , they have been dominating there since forever, making games for ps4/xb1 wont effect there handheld market, it's more likely going mobile will.

JoeM86

I think people are talking about them going thirdparty on consoles. the handheld market is totally different , they have been dominating there since forever, making games for ps4/xb1 wont effect there handheld market, it's more likely going mobile will.

Nintendo would go full handheld before they went on other formats. They wouldn't split with some on other people's consoles and others on their handheld, they'd just all go on their handheld.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
MK8's bundle has been sold out for like a year.

Yeap. It only counts for a fraction of MK8 sales. And as opposed to PS4 bundles, is the game that sells the console, not the other way around.

Anyhow, looking forward to play Gran Turismo on my PC, now that I was enlighten by the advantages of 3rd party over 1st party sales.

Scum

Good for you, Iwata.

Nintendo would go full handheld before they went on other formats. They wouldn't split with some on other people's consoles and others on their handheld, they'd just all go on their handheld.

Why do you even bother? It's a fucking waste of your time.

JoeM86

Good for you, Iwata.

Why do you even bother? It's a fucking waste of your time.

Yeah but I don't have much work on my plate right now so I have plenty of time to waste :p

I just wish people would understand the actual situation

Top Bottom