• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo recommends opening Wii U and perform system update before gifting to others

I really can't understand why people are getting worked up over this. I did the same thing for my mothers Christmas present last year (android tablet - also installed some apps and set the wallpaper to pictures of the family) and then carefully sealed it all up again so it was still in pristine condition. The same thing applies to PS3 and 360, they need a firmware update to work properly.

BowieZ

Banned
I really can't understand why people are getting worked up over this. I did the same thing for my mothers Christmas present last year (android tablet - also installed some apps and set the wallpaper to pictures of the family) and then carefully sealed it all up again so it was still in pristine condition. The same thing applies to PS3 and 360, they need a firmware update to work properly.
this is...

Because Nintendo.

Don't know what's the problem either, do it or don't do it.

Stop sounding reasonable! Idiots want to pile on here, don't you know?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What parents should do is sneak up in the morning and set it up, conceal it in some fashion then go all "Hey, [CHILD] you should go and turn the TV on".

IMAGINE THE HAPPY FACES OF CHILDREN EVERYWHERE. *

And totally skip updating just to mess with their kids patience >:)

* This tip will cost you $5.00. Feel free to add the funds to my Steam Wallet.

Dabanton

I don't think they need them to "work properly" in any case the Xbox 360 firmware update takes less than 3 mins. So no need to open up that box.

PS3 varies but updating mine it's usually no longer than 10mins. So no need to open that up either.

You can see why this is embarrassing for Nintendo.

Surely a machine released in 2012 should not be having such long update times while 6-7 year old hardware updates in a matter of mins.

Minutes, 10 - 15 should be enough. Not 30 - 60 minutes.
Sounds like you're plucking times arbitrarily from thin air, but the funny thing is that I got my Wii U about 2 1/2 weeks after launch and my update did only take 15-20 minutes with no hiccups, and that's over my crappy DSL connection. Meanwhile, my PS3 needs updating practically every time I try to sign into PSN, and it always takes at least that long. And that's a console that's been out for years.

NBtoaster

My parents would always open a present and check if it worked beforehand, this is just a logical evolution of that.

It's really only a problem if you want to return it, in which case you're a massive jerk to do that to a gift.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't think they need them to "work properly" in any case the Xbox 360 firmware update takes less than 3 mins. So no need to open up that box.

PS3 varies but updating mine it's usually no longer than 10mins. So no need to open that up either.

Surely a machine released in 2012 should not be having such long update times while 6-7 year old hardware updates in a matter of mins.

And you can play on the wiiU by cancelling the system update and letting it download in the background, which you can't do on PS3 or 360. So arguably it's less intrusive.

wsippel

Banned

Yeah, that might have to do with the fact that the Wii U firmware is much larger. Expect all next gen systems to have 1GB+ firmwares - and most likely day 1 updates. This isn't 2005 anymore. Own an iPhone? Same thing. Except people don't seem to mind. And that's a fucking phone! Back in '05, phones had 32MB firmwares.

?oe?oe

Sounds like you're plucking times arbitrarily from thin air, but the funny thing is that I got my Wii U about 2 1/2 weeks after launch and my update did only take 15-20 minutes with no hiccups, and that's over my crappy DSL connection. Meanwhile, my PS3 needs updating practically every time I try to sign into PSN, and it always takes at least that long. And that's a console that's been out for years.
Yeah, I think people like to ignore that fact (or have just gotten used to it). Sure it's not a day one update, but whatever blah blah blah.

When I actually have time to play my PS3 and it has to update, well, that is a gaming day gone, because I aint got time for that. So slow.

Yeah, that might have to do with the fact that the Wii U firmware is much larger. Expect all next gen systems to have 1GB+ firmwares - and most likely day 1 updates. This isn't 2005 anymore. Own an iPhone? Same thing. Except people don't seem to mind. And that's a fucking phone! Back in '05, phones had 32MB firmwares.
It's not the same. A 1 GB system update is ridiculous. Which is why they even tweeted this in the first place. I can't think of another piece of consumer electronics that has as large an update out of box. I guess that's an indication of how advanced the tech is in the WiiU.

It makes sense, thousands of Wii u's will get updated at approximately the same time. Its going to be a very slow download.
Maybe this tweet is because they never actually tested a large amount of people pulling the update and are now worried the servers are going to crash.

mackattk

It makes sense, thousands of Wii u's will get updated at approximately the same time. Its going to be a very slow download.

IrishNinja

^ also true

Good advice. When I got a PS1 as a kid my mum had it all set up ready to play.

yeah, my brother did this for me one christmas with the Sega-CD (pretty sure he played a game or two first, heh), it was really awesome to have it all hooked up & ready to go

but some folks in this thread act like it must've been shat on by a hobo & traded for beer bottles at the swap shop in that scenario

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I guess that's an indication of how advanced the tech is in the WiiU.
Really... Just... Why even post...

Aren't iOS updates often over half a GB? Surely not every device bought comes with those for sometime after its launch...

And lol @ people selectively remembering just the most recent patches for their other consoles, like they've never had larger.

It seems the solution for some people would be to just not have any real updates on Wii U, just minor fixes, which is crazy bad.

At least this makes one hell of a contrast compared to other people defending other companies for removing features in them.

wsippel

Banned
It's not the same. A 1 GB system update is ridiculous. Which is why they even tweeted this in the first place. I can't think of another piece of consumer electronics that has as large an update out of box. I guess that's an indication of how advanced the tech is in the WiiU.
How can it be "ridiculous" when even tablets and phones have 1GB updates these days? Maybe we should bitch about Apple not giving the same advice instead?

wsippel

Banned
Because when you buy a phone, it's fully functional as a phone with its factory software.
The 2.1 firmware isn't required to use the Wii U either. It is "fully functional" as a game console with its factory software. Sure, you can't play online, but its three biggest games don't support online MP, anyway.

On the other hand, iOS 6.0.2 was released four days ago. It's not preinstalled on devices currently on the shelves - 1GB update for everyone getting a new iPhone or iPad this christmas. Probably affects a lot more people, now that I think about it.

Don't understand the problem, anyone with any sense would do this anyway. My Zombi U edition is all boxed up, all data, Miis, savegames transferred over while my daughter was asleep.

Job done.

tci

The comments here are really something.....

It is good advise. How fun is it to wait for an update for a new product? Stop acting like they just killed your dog or something.

Harlock

It s fine. Even if the people who will get the Wii U know how to do an update, why not update before, while the videogame is just sitting waiting for xmas?

Fox Mulder

The 2.1 firmware isn't required to use the Wii U either. It is "fully functional" as a game console with its factory software. Sure, you can't play online, but its three biggest games don't support online MP, anyway.

On the other hand, iOS 6.0.2 was released four days ago. It's not preinstalled on devices currently on the shelves - 1GB update for everyone getting a new iPhone or iPad this christmas. Probably affects a lot more people, now that I think about it.

My ipad updated the other day and it took like 5 minutes. I had no idea it was a GB, but maybe it was a delta update.

wsippel

Banned
My ipad updated the other day and it took like 5 minutes. I had no idea it was a GB, but maybe it was a delta update.
I think Apple always downloads the whole thing, at least when you update via iTunes. Maybe it uses deltas when updating on the device itself. And I just checked, the ipsw is 1.03GB. The Wii U 2.1 firmware is ~600MB (593MB in the US, 625MB in Europe).

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it's a common thing to do, it's only Nintendo saying it out loud because they think people might not know it....which is true, but obviously not for those who have a bit of experience like us at Neogaf

Raiden

Banned
Why bother with that, if your kid wants to play right away just disconnect it from the internet and play it offline.

tbkkV.jpg

lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think Apple always downloads the whole thing, at least when you update via iTunes. Maybe it uses deltas when updating on the device itself. And I just checked, the ipsw is 1.03GB. The Wii U 2.1 firmware is ~600MB (593MB in the US, 625MB in Europe).

It does use deltas on the device itself. The last update was about 50MB.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The OTA update is a delta update and has been this way for quite a while, that was one the the nice points about cutting the cord with iTunes.

Top Bottom