• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo recommends opening Wii U and perform system update before gifting to others

BlackJace

Because it's kinda deserved? Sony would get the exact same shit if they'd have tweeted this a few Xmas' ago.

MS wouldn't because their updates finish faster than a virgin teen in a Dutch brothel.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I'd like to think we're all a bit above that level of pettiness. "B-b-but Sony would catch the same shit if it happened to them so its okay!" Don't you realize how childish that sounds?

Bgamer90

Banned
Two wrongs don't make a right. I'd like to think we're all a bit above that level of pettiness. "B-b-but Sony would catch the same shit if it happened to them so its okay!" Don't you realize how childish that sounds?

So saying that is more childish than saying that people are only doing this "...because it's nintendo"?

Why is it allowed?

I think all three consoles take a lot of shit on here.

When it comes to different areas, they do. Some don't see that though I guess.

BlackJace

So saying that is more childish than saying that people are only doing this "...because it's nintendo"?.

What? His reasoning is that it's okay due to the assumption that if roles were reversed, Sony would be receiving the same backlash, ergo childish.

What? His reasoning is that it's okay due to the assumption that if roles were reversed, Sony would be receiving the same backlash, ergo childish.
Furthermore, this thread is such a non-issue.

1.) It's an advice, do it or leave it.
2.) You can download it in the background, who cares.
3.) Download times are faster now, of course, there are some exceptions.

Bgamer90

Banned

I wouldn't even say that it's an assumption. PS3 update times get constant heat.

The big Nintendo fans thinking that people are disappointed with the update times "...just because it's Nintendo" need to get a grip.

BlackJace

I wouldn't even say that it's an assumption. PS3 update times get constant heat.

The big Nintendo fans thinking that people are disappointed with the update times "...just because it's Nintendo" need to get a grip.

"Because Nintendo" is actually a very accurate meme, I have no problems with people using it. Nintendo operates in batshit insane ways that can only be explained with such a saying.

Now, the people driving-by and dropping "shit product confirmed", followed by "/thread", and "LOL" is what silly. Even more silly when someone claims its justified due to a role reversal assumption.

Bgamer90

Banned
Furthermore, this thread is such a non-issue.

1.) It's an advice, do it or leave it.

I doubt very few are making it an issue; it's more so people finding the statement to be funny.

The majority of complaints in this thread relate to the statement (Wii U update times) but they aren't about the statement itself.

"Because Nintendo" is actually a very accurate meme, I have no problems with people using it. Nintendo operates in batshit insane ways that can only be explained with such a saying.

I agree that Nintendo does really questionable things in comparison to the other "big 2" game companies. Since that fact is true, complaints are warranted (imo). It's not about it being Nintendo, it's the simple fact that some things that they do are disappointing to a lot of people.

Now, the people driving-by and dropping "shit product confirmed", followed by "/thread", and "LOL" is what silly. Even more silly when someone claims its justified due to a role reversal assumption.

Some of it is overboard yes, but some of it is just simple reactions.

A good number of threads that were made in 2006 about Sony's PR statements had posts that were nothing but "LOL". While it was somewhat childish, it really wasn't out of place in the sense that a lot of people couldn't believe what was being said. It wasn't like the replies of that nature were off-topic and/or random.

I feel that the same is true in many ways for this thread also.

wsippel

Banned
Nintendo is too cheap to implement optical out or license Dolby Digital or DTS.
Optical without DD would make no difference at all, and DD is at least $2.50 per unit just for the patent licenses, puts additional load on the CPU (or requires a more complex and expensive DSP), and last, but certainly not least, is on its way out. It's legacy tech.

That was a joke. There was like 10 on the 2nd page over something that isn't that big a deal

BlackJace

I doubt very few are making it an issue; it's more so people finding the statement to be funny.

The majority of complaints in this thread relate to the statement (Wii U update times) but they aren't about the statement itself.

I agree that Nintendo does really questionable things in comparison to the other "big 2" game companies. Since that fact is true, complaints are warranted (imo). It's not about it being Nintendo, it's the simple fact that some things that they do are disappointing to a lot of people.

Some of it is overboard yes, but some of it is just simple reactions.

A good number of threads that were made in 2006 about Sony's PR statements had posts that were nothing but "LOL". While it was somewhat childish, it really wasn't out of place in the sense that a lot of people couldn't believe what was being said. It wasn't like the replies of that nature were off-topic and/or random.

I feel that the same is true in many ways for this thread also.

Fair enough.

Kyou

This seems like pretty okay advice actually?

Also put batteries in the toys before giving them to your kid and assemble anything you need to put together. This is parenting 101.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
iOS devices work out of the box, updates are also downloaded in the background.
Sounds like WiiU. Obviously new features have to be downloaded first to work though.

Updates are pretty much optional unless you just bought an iOS device right after they announced the next iOS version and before the new current models
Unless you want their new features, games that require x version of firmware, etc.

And as someone said earlier, 6.0.2 didn't take that long to download. The important updates are usually in October when they announce the big iOS revisions. New iOS devices come with the newest iOS revisions pretty quickly on store shelves as the older models get phased out
Didn't dispute any of this. I just said often. Not every single .0.1 update. I'm sure WiiU firmware updates will vary in size.

Anyway. Just said big updates aren't that uncommon. And they're not exactly too common for WiiU yet either. Not to mention people should want them to be more common until the devices perform better rather than lament that updates come. Didn't comment on the specific details of how updates for each device work or target precious Apple for doing something wrong or anything, just replied to the topic in the OP and the general sentiment over it.

Can't believe some of the posts about getting an opened gift. Makes me a little worried about giving my girlfriends little brother my OG 3ds for Christmas. I still have all the original packaging from when I got it on launch so its gonna look brand new.

Alex

1GB isn't big, though, it's just slow as fucking hell. Memory feels slow as well, so the combination of slow servers and slow installs is a little grating. It's early PS3 amp'd and 6 years late.

Can't believe some of the posts about getting an opened gift. Makes me a little worried about giving my girlfriends little brother my OG 3ds for Christmas. I still have all the original packaging from when I got it on launch so its gonna look brand new.

He won't care, none of us cared as kids either when parents set the shit up or whatever. No one cared about the box or packaging status and the ones in here are wigging about it sound like sociopaths who probably dont have to worry about presents anyway.

The only part of the tweet I actually find irksome is the use of the term "pro-tip" ...

People are overreacting. And people are overdefending.

AzaK

What mess? Nintendo just gave a tip that can apply to several CE devices you give as gift...Jesus Christ guys

Like?

That's what they're doing with the next shipments.. the consoles sitting out there were manufactured well before launch, so it was kind of impossible to preload them with firmware that didn't exist at the time.

They should have sorted their OS (or most, not 1/2 of it) before manufacture. At the LEAST they should offer free discs that you can get from a store with the update on it.

The amount of time you need to wait before you can use a lot of the functionality is ludicrous.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The comments here are really something.....

It is good advise. How fun is it to wait for an update for a new product? Stop acting like they just killed your dog or something.
Nintendo actually singlehandedly killed the dogs of about half of gaf. Then they did things to the corpses. That's a scientific fact, so stop acting like it's not.

Good thread, though. Carry on, guys.

2MF

Nintendo needs better software designers / engineers, assuming I have understood correctly that you need to do a huge update before playing. Background downloading?

wsippel

Banned
Nintendo needs better software designers / engineers, assuming I have understood correctly that you need to do a huge update before playing. Background downloading?
The system does support background downloads for everything, including system and game updates. This is actually a complete non-issue, once again blown completely out of proportion by the usual Nintendo trolls.

sphinx

the piano man
The system does support background downloads for everything, including system and game updates. This is actually a complete non-issue, once again blown completely out of proportion by the usual Nintendo trolls.

but isn't this first update required to get the console running and play anything?

or can people play NSMBU right away and download the update on the background?

Madouu

but isn't this first update required to get the console running and play anything?

The update isn't needed, it is mainly there to add internet functionalities such as Miiverse.

wsippel

Banned

The system plays all retail games right out of the box, no updates required.

Once again: it does not state that you can download system updates in the background ANYWHERE for the general public. 99% of people will be like us on release day, waiting with our thumbs up our asses because Nintendo didnt think it was a good idea to let people know it was possible.

Once again: it does not state that you can download system updates in the background ANYWHERE for the general public. 99% of people will be like us on release day, waiting with our thumbs up our asses because Nintendo didnt think it was a good idea to let people know it was possible.

Maybe they can fix this with an update.

Madouu

And that's why we are letting people know about this.

They should.

Personally, I would have posted that tip on Twitter/Facebook instead of the one in the OP. "Buying #WiiU for Xmas? Cancel the update to download it in the background and play immediately!"

I'd have posted both tips as I think the update brings some cool features that I'd want everyone to enjoy without having to do the update themselves, but then people will argue that it could be confusing for the average user.

Overall the issues with the launch are:
- Slowish update speeds. This has definitely improved though.
- No message prompt that lets people know they can download the first update in the background. (This should have been fixed ASAP)
- Slow OS navigating speeds ranging from ridiculously slow (settings tab) to okay (most everything else).
- Problems setting up your internet connection for some folks.
- The occasional hard lock (which is to me by far the biggest nuisance)

Looking at this list, you're probably going to eliminate/lessen the impact of most of it once you've done your initial setup and this is why I consider the tip in the OP to be very sound advice that outweighs by far the fun of opening a new gift box. And this is in a case of someone being lazy and not repacking it.

Then again, this is looking at it rationally in a very particular context. Looking at the replies in this thread, it seems to me that some people aren't capable of this when it comes to gifts
and Nintendo

wsippel

Banned
That's probably because the updates are more spread out that way. A hundred thousand people downloading the update at the same time would be a bit much even for Akamai's infrastructure. And if the system is already updated, people who get their systems can access everything right away, which is obviously a good thing as well.

Maybe they can fix this with an update.
It's already "fixed". If you were on 2.0, the console just downloaded the 2.1 update in the background and asked the user to install it once it was ready. It's the same thing on 3DS these days, except the system uses SpotPass to download firmware updates in standby mode.

Eusis

Because it's kinda deserved? Sony would get the exact same shit if they'd have tweeted this a few Xmas' ago.

MS wouldn't because their updates finish faster than a virgin teen in a Dutch brothel.
Yeah, this is true. Bothering to open the Xbox and update early for your kids or whoever you're gifting it to would seem like being obsessive about making it work out of the box: they'd spend more time making an Avatar than they will updating the system at this point.

Top Bottom