• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo releases fix for Zelda Skyward Sword bug via channel patch

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This is, in a way, so sad, I'm actually tempted to trade in Skyward Sword when the inevitable 1.1 disc printings ship just to have a non-bugged copy for posterity.

Skyward Sword is mega-important for their image right now. That's why they've gone this far, this fast, rather than let it sit and rot like Twilight Princess. I can't imagine they won't update the retail discs for the game with a fixed version of the game.

Now, if they were really sports about it, they'd offer a voluntary exchange program for people who really wanted, to send their discs in to get replaced. Most people never take full advantage of those offers; it might not cost them as much as you'd think at first glance.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm sure Nintendo Japan still runs on Dial Up internet.
I'm surprised they didn't just mail out peripherals to attach to everyone's Wiimotes that contained the patch and allowed the Nunchuck to connect underneath it.

Babysteps.

I'm willing to bet that they examined it and realized that they just didn't have the infrastructure for something more elegant. However this should hopefully teach them a lesson for WiiU
You know what, I am fine with it at this point. This is the best nintendo has done in like... well... ever. I mean the game hasn't even been out a month and they found a bug, found a fix, and deployed that fix within a month of it being out... this is like space travel levels of advancement for nintendo!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How else would they do it if not with a channel? A channel is an app as far as Wii is concerned. Or did you want them to bury it somewhere in the system save options even if you don't care for/have Zelda? Since the game wasn't made to allow patches like COD this was the only way they could offer such a data restoration program really, why the surprise/rage/ridicule over it being a channel? Did you want them to shove it in your Homebrew Channel alongside all your other tool apps? Lol.

Hell, even if the game could be patched to have the glitch fixed (which it can't, not because it's on Wii, but because it wasn't made with that in mind like COD/Conduit 2/whatever other Wii games were) a data restoration tool would still be needed for those who have already encountered the bug.

How else would they do it if not with a channel? A channel is an app as far as Wii is concerned. Or did you want them to bury it somewhere in the system save options even if you don't care for/have Zelda? Since the game wasn't made to allow patches like something like the COD games are this was the only way they could offer such a data restoration program really, why the surprise/rage over it being a channel? Maybe you wanted them to shove it in your homebrew channel alongside all your other tool apps? Lol.

Nintendo can do no right in NeoGAF's eyes.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
How else would they do it if not with a channel? A channel is an app as far as Wii is concerned. Or did you want them to bury it somewhere in the system save options even if you don't care for/have Zelda? Since the game wasn't made to allow patches like something like the COD games are this was the only way they could offer such a data restoration program really, why the surprise/rage over it being a channel? Did you want them to shove it in your Homebrew Channel alongside all your other tool apps? Lol.

Where's the rage?
As for surprise, because it's the first of its kind?

waicol

Banned
I love this way. It's like a straight "haters gonna hate" approach.

Oh well, better than nothing I suppose? But is really the only way to patch a game on the Wii? WOW.

Alot of games have ingame patching, people just talk out of ignorance when it comes to Nintendo. This fix has to be this way cause Zelda doesn´t connect to the internet nor have the infrastructure like say CoD wii.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How else would they do it if not with a channel? A channel is an app as far as Wii is concerned. Or did you want them to bury it somewhere in the system save options even if you don't care for/have Zelda? Since the game wasn't made to allow patches like something like the COD games are this was the only way they could offer such a data restoration program really, why the surprise/rage over it being a channel?

I think people here have roughly the following priority set:
1) The Wii should have supported patching in 2006, the fact that it didn't was embarrassing, and any opportunity to mock such an obviously stupid and myopic decision is worth taking.
2) At some point after 2006, Nintendo should have updated the Wii to support patching, and the fact that they didn't despite multiple first-party title recalls due to easily patchable issues is embarrassing, and any opportunity to mock such an obviously stupid and myopic decision is worth taking.
3) Noting that some enterprising developers have managed to find a way into running certain kinds of patches, Nintendo should include such functionality in their own games, and the fact that they haven't was embarrassing, and any opportunity to mock such an obviously stupid and myopic decision is worth taking.
4) The fact that this issue wasn't properly fixed in the 3DS suggests they haven't learned anything.
5) Assuming you let them off with 1-4, then yes, a channel is clearly the most convenient way to fix this exact issue on the Wii in 2011.

I don't see any surprise or rage, just the continuation of a 5+ year long facepalm by even the most casual observers of system design :p

Did you want them to shove it in your Homebrew Channel alongside all your other tool apps? Lol.

The fact that homebrewers with limited access to the system built what is functionally a patching architecture and delivered significant results (fan translations, widespread cheating, alternate controls, etc) just puts Nintendo's obstinacy on the issue in a harsher light.

For what it's worth, this has nothing to do with Nintendo for me. I gave Sony plenty of grief for not including trophies at launch, patching them in so haphazardly, and devs for refusing to retroactively add them to their games because "it's too much work". Ditto all of Sony's other boneheaded 5 year old decisions that we're still living with today--insufficient multi-profile support on the PS3, poor layout and functionality for the PSN store, inadequate messaging data, lack of robustness in the PS1 emulator, lack of PSP game support on PS3, initially poor patching architecture. Valve, too, was way behind on switching their patching architecture to per-file diffs. I have plenty of facepalming to go around. But a lot of it is directly to Nintendo because of how stone-age they are about operating system functionality.

Nintendo can do no right in NeoGAF's eyes.

<Complaint> Nintendo does thing X, which is bad. Other companies don't do thing X.
<Response> Why are you blaming Nintendo? What do you expect them to do?

Gee whiz, I wonder?

Well, I suppose that's one way to get around the Wii's inability to actually patch games.

Except Treyarch has patched and hotfixed Call of Duty on Wii. Nintendo needs to call up Treyarch's Wii team since they know the console better than EAD.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do they chuckle when multi-disc 360 games are released?

Most of them probably do if the games are implemented in a shitty way that negatively impacts users like Star Ocean 4, but probably not if it's simply a game where you need to switch discs for 5 seconds every 15 hours or if the PS3 version has a more time-consuming mandatory install than the 360 version? Duh?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Except Treyarch has patched and hotfixed Call of Duty on Wii. Nintendo needs to call up Treyarch's Wii team since they know the console better than EAD.

The actual Call of Duty game had the structure in place for internet data transfer, Skyward Sword did not.
Now it should have, if they aren't going to have a patching system console wide they should write the necessary connectivity into their games, but given that SS doesn't this was about as good of a way of deploying the patch as they were going to get. I mean, I guess they could have deployed it as a WiiConnect update, but then we're just complaining about having to go into the shop, hit download, and open the channel.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Very well said Stumpokapow. Now everybody let's get back to the subject at hand by taking this opportunity to mock such an obviously stupid and myopic decision.

Erekiddo

Guess I'll be manually avoiding the glitch. My Wii Shop hasn't worked in years.

I could have been aggressive on staying on top of the Wii Shop installs via Homebrew, but, I've already purchased everything I'd ever be interested in.

FyreWulff

Treyarch just did it like developers did it on Xbox - bolt patching into their games post-console release.

Of course, since a competitor made it, nobody else was going to license that system, so we need Nintendo to issue neutral libraries to allow a game to be patched.

They should go a step further and allow system-to-system patching, and all patches are stored permanently.

I could have been aggressive on staying on top of the Wii Shop installs via Homebrew, but, I've already purchased everything I'd ever be interested in.

Wait, what? How does your Wii Shop just stop working? Maybe you should call up Nintendo tech support to see what's up.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
1. Get an ethernet cord.
2. Try to plug it into the wii.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Now if I want to patch Zelda, I have to go out and buy some dongle thing.

Are you serious? How else were you expecting them to fix Zelda? By mail? With Nintendo Offline Magic? Ha.

TheNatural

My Member!
All the complaints are dumb, because there shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. Patches are a joke, just get the game right in the first place. Nintendo's apparently dropped the ball a couple times this gen, with long quality control cycles. They tend to marinate on finished games, there's no excuse why games should come out with breaking flaws at all.

Erekiddo

Wait, what? How does your Wii Shop just stop working? Maybe you should call up Nintendo tech support to see what's up.

No. My Wii's firmware is terribly old - I have to launch recent games through Gecko OS. Because of which, whenever I want to log onto the Wii Shop, it prompts a firmware upgrade.

My functions are exactly what I want on it, so I don't want to bother experimenting upgrading its firmware.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I think he's saying that his shop hasn't been updated in years because of Homebrew. I was in the same boat until Bit.Trip.Flux forced my hand and I looked up how to safely update.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
please release a channel to fix mario kart 7!

BurntPork

Banned
Most of them probably do if the games are implemented in a shitty way that negatively impacts users like Star Ocean 4, but probably not if it's simply a game where you need to switch discs for 5 seconds every 15 hours or if the PS3 version has a more time-consuming mandatory install than the 360 version? Duh?

I'm just saying, it's pretty obvious that there's no way to update Wii to have a system-wide patching system, so the alternatives to this are replacing the disc (which would have been A LOT more messy than this) or not getting any fix at all. Hindsight is 20-20, and it's too late for another alternative. There's no point in acting like there's something else they could have done. This was a pretty clever work-around, though.

That said, the fact the 3DS still doesn't have a patching system is horrifying. I really fear that Wii U will also lack it, making the system worthless for any game that isn't exclusive to it.

No. My Wii's firmware is terribly old - I have to launch recent games through Gecko OS. Because of which, whenever I want to log onto the Wii Shop, it prompts a firmware upgrade.

My functions are exactly what I want on it, so I don't want to bother experimenting upgrading its firmware.

I don't understand...updating the firmware on your Wii doesn't take away features, and the only thing it added was the SD Card functionality and clock, to my knowledge, so why would you be resistant to updating your firmware?

Yagharek

So they released a game with a nasty bug in it. Then they patched the bug with an outdated system.

And yet these other up to date systems of delivering patches still see far more numerous and far more serious bugs released time and time again.

What exactly are we laughing at again?

PKrockin

I have old firmware with homebrew too, and until I noticed Phoenix Wright was on the WiiWare I didn't bother to safely upgrade the Wii Shop Channel either. It's actually really easy.

That said, the fact the 3DS still doesn't have a patching system is horrifying. I really fear that Wii U will also lack it, making the system worthless for any game that isn't exclusive to it.

So, it doesn't now, but any word if they are going to update that? If they do, I see no reason to think that Wii U wouldn't include it.

Edit:

Apparently it does.

EDIT: Hum, the 3DS and it's games are patchable (though the Ridge Racer fix was through a firmware update). It also supports DLC.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well, at least it's better than sending a SD Card with your save on it like they did for Other M.

Babysteps, but they will get there. Someday.

EDIT: Hum, the 3DS and it's games are patchable (though the Ridge Racer fix was through a firmware update). It also supports DLC.

Haunted

Better than not doing anything, I suppose.

Wii U better have a proper patching infrastructure from the start. Kinda ridiculous that we have to deal with clumsy bs like that in 2011.

Dr. Light

How else would they do it if not with a channel?

Um, by patching the game, like on PS3/360/PC?

People are laughing about how backwards the Wii is. Issues like this are common in other games (SWTOR has numerous gamebreaking bugs), but they just get patched away and people forget about them. One tiny bit of code adjustment would fix this issue.

Normally, I would almost applaud a game that was completely offline and didn't need to connect to the internet (it's refreshingly old school) but then you're supposed to do bug testing before releasing it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Dude. Come on.

Just follow the directions.

Erekiddo

I don't understand...updating the firmware on your Wii doesn't take away features, and the only thing it added was the SD Card functionality and clock, to my knowledge, so why would you be resistant to updating your firmware?

No incentive. The last time I upgraded my Wii was for the SD card functionality. Since then, most updates have been precisely to rid of The Homebrew Channel and to plug other various holes.

Virtual Console games have ceased uploading, so the only thing left are Wii Ware games I'll never purchase. It took a lot of different hacks/installs to get my homebrew where I wanted it - so I don't want to risk upgrading it and messing something up in the process.

I could study up on a safe way to do so, but eh! Manual workaround for the game breaking bug is easiest.

Didn't mean to derail. :|

BurntPork

Banned
So, it doesn't now, but any word if they are going to update that? If they do, I see no reason to think that Wii U wouldn't include it.

Maybe, but the issue is that Nintendo's flagship 3DS game has a serious bug that can't be fixed. Also, if Wii can't be updated to have a patching system, I doubt that 3DS can.

No incentive. The last time I upgraded my Wii was for the SD card functionality. Since then, most updates have been precisely to rid of The Homebrew Channel and to plug other various holes.

Virtual Console games have ceased uploading, so the only thing left are Wii Ware games I'll never purchase. It took a lot of different hacks/installs to get my homebrew where I wanted it - so I don't want to risk upgrading it and messing something up in the process.

I could study up on a safe way to do so, but eh! Manual workaround for the game breaking bug is easiest.

Well, if anything you've reaffirmed my reasoning for never getting into all that homebrew nonsense.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Ha, same for me.
That was my last update, nothing else from the store I wanted to buy, and it's stayed that way.

Much like AbsoluteZero has no reason to use CFW, I have no reason to update.

Somnid

This thing is so awkward and clumsy. Solution? Be awkward and clumsy.

Top Bottom