• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Rep: Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Nintendo Land will ship in 720p (Pikmin 3 is 60fps)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I also want to say that it's actually the non-informed who probably expect all their content to be 1080p because that's what it says on the box their TV came in... But in reality their HDTV channels aren't 1080p, 99% of all 360 and PS3 games aren't 1080p, etc.

gogogow

I'm not sure who you're referring to about jumping to conclusions, I thought that's what the article WAS saying - that only Pikmin 3 was the 60fps of the bunch. If not, then great! I'm not particularly interested in NSMB Wii U anyway, so it's not a game I'd bother getting huffy about. Plus, I don't know what else you think people have 'jumped to conclusions' over. Seems people were exactly right to be pessimistic about what we were going to see, for everyone on E3.

In OP, some, not one:
However, the representative said that some of those titles, like Pikmin 3, will run at 60 frames per second.

Haunted

PC owners and console owners

eHVB3.gif

What resolution is Rayman Origins on PS3/360 running at? I know its in 60 FPS (its 60 on Vita too). That game appears to be much more involved graphically than NSMB2. I find it hard to believe Wii U couldnt handle that.

Are the console owners on the right all happy and the PC owners on the left all sighing at what others like or something?

I believe his implication is that we console gamers are blissfully ignorant. So be it. 30 FPS doesnt bother me. Anything below 25 however does affect me rather significantly.

Why come into a wii u thread talking about pc? Of course pc is better. What's the point in emphasizing that?

Because, unlike the PS3/360, the PC has been chugging along in terms of power over the years. We're not seeing the next generation of consoles from Microsoft/Sony for a good while now, at the very least a year, so at this point the only reasonable thing to judge the WiiU's new hardware against is a modest PC built within the last two years. It's the only window for us to see where modern technology is and where it's heading.

If I came in here and said my bleeding edge rig I built this year outperforms the WiiU I'd of course be a troll, because that's incredibly obvious and I'm just bragging for e-peen at that point, but I'm not. I have a modest one, from two years ago, and it's still running circles around what Nintendo's calling their "next-generation" console.

FWIW, I'm fully expecting the PS4/Durango to output in 1080p. I know the very thought gives the vapors to some GAFers, but those are my standards at this day and age after my experiences with that resolution. If I pay hundreds for new hardware, I expect them to at least perform as well as what I bought relatively recently (though to me 2 years isn't exactly recent), not worse. And I'm certainly not expecting it to perform "just on par" with something from 2005.

linko9

Let's be real, this is a bummer. Expected, but a bummer. Hopefully future efforts will aim for 1080p, but that seems extremely unlikely. And from what I hear, there's no AA on most of these games. Jaggies will continue to plague us for the foreseeable future.

Lol, you're extremely unlikely to beable to tell the difference between TV upscaling and upscaling on your console, it won't make any difference whether the WiiU or TV upscale the game.

I may be wrong, but usually tv set does not include powerfull chips to do the upscaling to save costs. TVs do the job pretty well, but most of them adds lag to the process. A half second lag means nothing when watching films or tv, but adds a real problem to gaming. That is why most tvs have a "game" mode that does not add much process to the image, minimizing the lag. But the quality of the upscaling suffers, of course.

Ridley327

What resolution is Rayman Origins on PS3/360 running at? I know its in 60 FPS (its 60 on Vita too). That game appears to be much more involved graphically than NSMB2. I find it hard to believe Wii U couldnt handle that.

Native 1080p, IIRC. It's entirely 2D assets, though, which is not a wholly fair comparison.

Not that I don't think that it's surprising that NSMBU isn't running native 1080p as well.

BocoDragon

Because, unlike the PS3/360, the PC has been chugging along in terms of power over the years. We're not seeing the next generation of consoles from Microsoft/Sony for a good while now, at the very least a year, so at this point the only reasonable thing to judge the WiiU against is a modest PC built within the last two years.

If I came in here and said my bleeding edge rig I built this year outperforms the WiiU I'd of course be a troll, but I'm not. I have a modest one, from two years ago, and it's still running circles around what Nintendo's calling their "next-generation" console.

FWIW, I'm fully expecting the PS4/Durango to output in 1080p. I know the very thought gives the vapors to some GAFers, but those are my standards at this day and age after my experiences with that resolution. If I pay hundreds for new hardware, I expect them to at least perform as well as what I bought relatively recently (though to me 2 years isn't exactly recent), not worse. And I'm certainly not expecting it to perform "just on par" with something from 2005.
I understand the PC gamer's dilemma..

But it's a little like a guy who builds hot rods in his garage scoffing at the underpowered Smart Car.

Meanwhile your wife actually wants the Smart Car because she's buying it for reasons that have nothing to do with horsepower. :p

Native 1080p, IIRC. It's entirely 2D assets, though, which is not a wholly fair comparison.

Not that I don't think that it's surprising that NSMBU isn't running native 1080p as well.

Super Mario isn't entirely 2D? I don't know much about the title, to be honest. So sorry if its a stupid question.

I'm seriously gonna face palm if I see a bunch of complaints about this. I only have a 720p TV so this doesn't really bother me, and consider that most games already run in 720p anyhow. Atleast the games won't look so bad unlike the Wii.

thuway

There are very very few games on the 360 and PS3 that run at 60 frames per second at 1280x720 res, so this is a step up from current consoles.

The only difference is- games like New Super Mario Brothers Wii are doing absolutely nothing visually that should lend credence to such a reserved IQ.

Ridley327

Super Mario isn't entirely 2D? I don't know much about the title, to be honest. So sorry if its a stupid question.

All the character models and foreground elements are polygonal. It seems like that the backgrounds are super hi-res 2D assets, but everything else is still polygonal.

Hiltz

It looks like Nintendo had to compromise because of the controller. It's certainly brings in its share of pros and cons to the table.

I'll be happy with the visuals simply because going from a Wii to Wii U owner will be a full generational leap anyway (even if it is just by current-gen standards). Still, it seems kind of silly how a game as simplistic as New Super Mario U can't do 1080p, but then I suppose it probably wouldn't be worth if it running at 30 fps. I wonder if Rayman Legends will be the same. Come to think of it, wasn't Rayman Origins 1080p on Xbox 360 and PS3 ? For what it's worth, New SMBU's stylized backgrounds look terrific.

Good to hear Pikmin3 is at 60 fps. I expected as much given the nature of the game's pacing and on-screen activity. Anyway, I really hope we see more of these creative art styles that we've seen in games like Nintendo Land. One can only imagine what Nintendo could do if it did something with cell-shading.

Because, unlike the PS3/360, the PC has been chugging along in terms of power over the years. We're not seeing the next generation of consoles from Microsoft/Sony for a good while now, at the very least a year, so at this point the only reasonable thing to judge the WiiU's new hardware against is a modest PC built within the last two years. It's the only window for us to see where modern technology is and where it's heading.

If I came in here and said my bleeding edge rig I built this year outperforms the WiiU I'd of course be a troll, because that's incredibly obvious and I'm just bragging for e-peen at that point, but I'm not. I have a modest one, from two years ago, and it's still running circles around what Nintendo's calling their "next-generation" console.

Nah man, it's just useless rude behaviour for what? to feel good about yourself??..

Come on. A lot of people have a pc or even laptop that runs circles around current gen.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm seriously gonna face palm if I see a bunch of complaints about this. I only have a 720p TV so this doesn't really bother me, and consider that most games already run in 720p anyhow. Atleast the games won't look so bad unlike the Wii.

Yeah, and what's funny is the thought I've seen among GAFers that 1080p will be standard in next-generation.

Hilarious.

With Nintendo my bar is also low. If it's in anything above 480p, to me that's a huge improvement. If I get a Wii U it's not to play cross-platform games anyway since that's obviously not going to be its strength. It's a Nintendo-game delivery system.

Rapstah

Surely someone on the show floor can tell if NSBU is 60 FPS or 30, if it's being shown? It would be crazy if a scaled up DS engine couldn't be made to run at 720p60 without AA assuming the leaked specs are even close to true.

Ein Bear

Eh, I don't really care, 720p is fine, I just want Nintendo games without the jaggy awfulness that the Wii rendered.

1080p is always nice, but really, 5 minutes into the game you just get used to it anyway.

Yeah this.

Saying it's somewhat comparable to systems that are more than six years old isn't really saying a whole lot about what the system should be capable of doing. I think Nintendo is underestimating what people are looking out of this thing on a graphical level. They are expecting next gen, not something that's barely a step above the last gen. You really don't want people thinking of your system as Dreamcast 2.0
Your comparison is not fair at all.

The DreamCast was a gigantic step up from the previous generation graphics, WiiU is not even close to that level so far.

Haunted

Are the console owners on the right all happy and the PC owners on the left all sighing at what others like or something?
PC owners are long used to 1080p and above, so we're obviously not impressed or satisfied by 720p in 2012.

example:
LOL, 720p. Later, Nintendo, it's been swell. Been rocking 1080p on my (midrange) PC since 2010 and haven't looked back.

The thought of me paying hundreds of dollars to regress back to 720p, in 2012:

tumblr_lt93o7DF6i1qbqdik.gif

Console owners don't know many games running above 1080p, some console games don't even make 720p, and if they do run at 30fps - so since their standards are so much lower, they seem happy with 720p and 60fps, it's an improvement for them.

Example:
720p (real?) + 60fps? FUCK YEAH.

Hence the picture. Damn you for making me explain the joke. :p

I understand the PC gamer's dilemma..

But it's a little like a guy who builds hot rods in his garage scoffing at the underpowered Smart Car.

Meanwhile your wife actually wants the Smart Car because she's buying it for reasons that have nothing to do with horsepower. :p

Oh, I understand that completely. I just can't shake the bad feeling this is like the Wii all over again, settling for what will essentially be last-generation technology in the current generation.

I think a lot of my recent frustration comes from Nintendo's promises they were trying to appease to the core gamer, and showed the Zelda tech demo last year and the bird video. Then this year they come back with 720p New Super Mario Bros. I'm not seeing the purported change and "tech jump" at all. If they had said from day 1 they were going to go for modest hardware again and not try to go the "tech route" up until this E3 I wouldn't have felt so shortchanged with the promises.

Nah man, it's just useless rude behaviour for what? to feel good about yourself??..

Come on. A lot of people have a pc or even laptop that runs circles around current gen.

The keyword here is "current gen". The WiiU was supposed to be "next-gen", but it's very very clearly current-gen.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PC owners are long used to 1080p and above, so we're obviously not impressed or satisfied by 720p in 2012.

example:

Console owners don't know many games running above 1080p, some console games don't even make 720p, and if they do run at 30fps - so since their standards are so much lower, they seem happy with 720p and 60fps, it's an improvement for them.

Example:

Hence the picture. Damn you for making me explain the joke. :p
I dunno, I was pretty happy that I could run Max Payne 3 really well at slightly over 720p on my rig.

At least until I played some more of it and saw I didn't like it as much as 2 or 1.

Of course I'd be happy if I had the money tu burn on a rig that allowed me to play The Witcher 2 in 1080p/60+ fps too.

But I don't see many cheering for this either, console owners or not. Just being OK with it. I'm OK with it. I don't intend to buy a WiiU day one and neither do most people, platforms have a lot to prove and that goes well beyond what resolution becomes commonplace on them. Early teething issues don't tend to phase me either (if these turn out to be such).

Most will know 1080P from A pc or some console games.
I think we would all love 1080P games at 60fps with all bells and whistles. But that's not happening on concoles yet, and we all accept that unfortunate fact.
No matter how good consoles get, a year further down the road, PC's will be outperforming them.

It's a given.

Clearly 720p no AA. It's easy to see when you know where to look. Eg. the top of the mouth or the feet.

yeah i notcied it better in other screens, like these ones. Nice that the DoF clean a lot of shit up :p
wiiu_pikmin3_3_scrn14_e3.jpg

WiiU_Pikmin3_2_scrn10_E3.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Your comparison is not fair at all.

The DreamCast was a gigantic step up from the previous generation graphics, WiiU is not even close to that level so far.

Yeah I agree with you, what I meant is the perception that the Wii U is merely on par with this generation and will get the doors blown off next year by the new consoles from MS and Sony. Like if all the buzz is about the other 2 new consoles coming next year when the Wii U is coming out, the way the PS2 hype machine basically crushed the Dreamcast from the get go.

If it's real 720p they're doing better than a lot of X360/PS3 games already. :p

That being said, I really hope they start throwing some AA in there. Jaggies aren't fun on any console.

orioto

Good Art™
Hm yeah... i don't really get why they didn't try to run Pikmin at higher rez, especially when they said this game would benefit from the HD, cause of the tiny pikmins...

and this is not JUST DoF right? Or maybe it is..

Clearly no AA, the in focus part starts near the base of the tongue.

Edit: some kind of deal going on with the edge of the Pikmin and the new guy in the shots where they're in focus though. Not sure if it's anti aliasing or something else.

BocoDragon

Oh, I understand that completely. I just can't shake the bad feeling this is like the Wii all over again, settling for what will essentially be last-generation technology in the current generation.

I think a lot of my recent frustration comes from Nintendo's promises they were trying to appease to the core gamer, and showed the Zelda tech demo last year and the bird video. Then this year they come back with 720p New Super Mario Bros. I'm not seeing the purported change and "tech jump" at all. If they had said from day 1 they were going to go for modest hardware again and not try to go the "tech route" up until this E3 I wouldn't have felt so shortchanged with the promises.

The keyword here is "current gen". The WiiU was supposed to be "next-gen", but it's very very clearly current-gen.

This whole time.. I've never been under the expectation that Wii U was supposed to be some sort of big step up. The general buzz was that it was roughly equal to PS360... Maybe a little better in some respects, maybe a little worse. I'm pretty sure that's been known this entire year...

It's a big step up compared to the Wii.. That's it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There are very very few games on the 360 and PS3 that run at 60 frames per second at 1280x720 res, so this is a step up from current consoles.

I know this is a tired example, but WipEout HD runs at 1080p60 and beats the shit out of everything Nintendo has shown for the Wii U visually.

Hiltz

I didn't notice any jaggies in New SMBU, but why would Nintendo not support Anti-Aliasing ? I realize they want to cut down on costs like why they decided on using the resistive single touch touchscreen on the gamepad (which I always expected and don't have a problem with), but no AA ? Isn't Nintendo guilty kind of being a bit of a cheap skate here ? It just seems like the Big N is gradually building up all of these little hurdles (like no UE4 support) that some game companies (primarily western devs) are going to take up issue with (and use to build up a case of excuses why they don't want to support it that much).

I'll love the Wii U just like I loved the Wii, but we're going to hear more some shit from some third-parties for sure.

Salsa

I bet they'll eventually do something 1080p in the upcoming years.. kinda weird to be limiting stuff like that. Specially NSMBU at 30fps

still happy with 60fps Pikmin tho

chris3116

Next gen, I can see 1st party games from Sony and Microsoft to be 1080p/30 fps or 720p/60fps maybe for a few games 1080p/60fps. But I can't see most 3rd party games to be 1080p. They'll probably try to have stable 720p/30FPS games first.

Nintendo is doing just fine. I don't see how benefical New Super Mario Wii U or any 2D platformers to have 60 fps.

If you want 1080p/60fps, make a PC gaming and that's what I have.

mantidor

I'm still kind of baffled we are going to see Mario in 720p, is just bizarre. I would welcome it more with a change in art style, but as of now, it just doesn't fit that well, more resolution makes it more "plastic" for some reason.

This whole time.. I've never been under the expectation that Wii U was supposed to be some sort of big step up. The general buzz was that it was roughly equal to PS360... Maybe a little better in some respects, maybe a little worse. I'm pretty sure that's been known this entire year...

It's a big step up compared to the Wii.. That's it.

I was getting impressions it was going to be a 1.5 jump. Not full-on next gen (I mean, I wasn't exactly expecting the Luminous Studio tech demo vid from Square Enix :p), but definitely a visible step above that. I was thinking at the very least a jump in resolution was the order of the day. Seeing that wasn't the case meant rage spewed forth.

Top Bottom